• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mailbox

I think people reading an anti-otaku message in Me!Me!Me! are seeing what they want to see in it, like the people who read Wasurenagumo as anti-otaku.

missed the evil figures coming to life?`

I'm not reading anti-otaku. I'm reading observation of otaku. "This is a human who has serious social anxiety, especially as it pertains to women."

I don't think that's a stretch of a read at all.

Missed the entire break-up/ broken relationship angle that was there, huh?

I think people reading an anti-otaku message in Me!Me!Me! are seeing what they want to see in it, like the people who read Wasurenagumo as anti-otaku.

Really? I think there's plenty anti-otaku message in there.

That it's at the same time that kind of anime content otaku would eat up doesn't necessarily diminish that aspect. In some regards that irony even adds to it.

I liked it for the visuals and music primarily though, was a slightly mesmerizing watch. While I also appreciate the message it wanted to tell, I'm not gonna say it pulls that off especially well.

It was not a serious rec.

Thought so.

Speaking of anime I want, still waiting for a yakuza anime that's like The Sopranos but is about the rise of a guy through the ranks.

The only decent mobster anime was the first half of Gungrave and that wasn't Yakuza, that was just italian mob. If someone knows of a manga, documentary or book or something that explores the Yakuza either in fiction or explaining how they operate I'd love to read or watch it.

manfestival

so I have 10 OVAs of irresponsible captain tylor a friend of mine gave me. the first episode of it was ok. is it worth watching the rest? It is also in english

So as long as we're talking about mystery anime, I was wondering how is Boogiepop Phantom?

Because it looks right up my alley.

Also, I actually forgot that Lance n' Masques was airing Mailbox.

I'm not reading anti-otaku. I'm reading observation of otaku. "This is a human who has serious social anxiety, especially as it pertains to women."

I don't think that's a stretch of a read at all.

I'll agree. It certainly deals with otaku, but it's more a perverse celebration of the twisted nature of otaku than a condemnation of it. Remember that the animators making this are otaku themselves. They are animating the sexy, violent girls they want to animate.

I just have a thing about the "I like this sexy content, but it's OK because it's actually subverting its sexiness" position. I saw people talk that way about Kill la Kill, for instance. It feels dishonest.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Done with animator expo (minus gundam one)
I'll just mention my top 10

1. ME!ME!ME (great music and hypnotizing)
2. 20min Walk from Nishi-Ogikubo Station (Fluid animation)
3. Casette Girl (That betamax transition was great!)
4. Girl (Great music and beautiful animation)
5. Yamadeloid (crazy enough for me)
6. Bureau of proto society (great punchline)
7. Hammerhead (Simple and brutal)
8. Diary of Ochibi (That is one impressive use of stop animation)
9. Endless night (Ice skating!!!!)
10. Comedy skit 1989 (I like the joke)

Russ T

Banned
I'll agree. It certainly deals with otaku, but it's more a perverse celebration of the twisted nature of otaku than a condemnation of it. Remember that the animators making this are otaku themselves. They are animating the sexy, violent girls they want to animate.

I just have a thing about the "I like this sexy content, but it's OK because it's actually subverting its sexiness" position. I saw people talk that way about Kill la Kill, for instance. It feels dishonest.

Yeah, that's fair. It's always hard to commend something that wants to both have and eat its cake. I'm not sure I agree with the celebration angle, but I have no strong position from which to argue, besides that's not how it felt to me.

That said, while Kill la Kill doesn't fall under this umbrella, I think mememe would've lost meaning if it wasn't so incredibly explicit in nature. Or, if not lost, it wouldn't have felt as strong. I dunno.

In a perfect world, this would be an outlier, rather than the norm, and then I could feel more certain about things!

Chindogg

Seto No Hanayome 1-26

One of the better parody series I've seen. Some episodes were really dumb but for the most part it was genuinely hilarious and enjoyable.

Crocodile

I hope so, but there hasn't even been a hint of a disc release in Japan. I'm not sure what, if anything, Khara intends to do with these shorts.

Not putting this out as a collection just seems like leaving money on the table :/

Even on a superficial level I'd say Me!x3 and KLK are worlds apart in execution and intention. KLK just ended up being a mess in term of writing as things went on. Whilst TTGL had a pretty clear theme and message, KLK did not I (and most others) feel. But then again I think most of us have already heard about the mid-production rewrites and what not that hurt the show. For Me!x3, why do you think the animators are unable to critique themselves even as they consume that sort of material? I mean self-awareness is a thing :p Me!x3 pretty much lays it all out there - its pretty clear in its direction and something diving deep into the material it hopes to critique ("the cake and eat it too" issue) is pretty common in satire. It also probably helps the marketability of the short if it can be enjoyed on multiple levels (those who just want the boobs, those who can see the point its trying to make and those that overlap in both groups).

Mailbox

my biggest problem with Un-Go was the audio mixing.

All the dialogue sounded bad. Felt like they didn't use a properly soundproof studio for recording. Annoyed me the whole way through >_<

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't know why Me!Me!Me! gets so much attention and affection. Well, I guess I do, but it's unfortunate. That, GIRL, Sex and Violence, and Robot on the Road play into all the worst stereotypes about anime being for people who want to sexually molest women (and have women molest them, in the case of Yoshizaki's works).
Me!Me!Me! finding more attention than any of the other shorts is kind of unfortunate, but it's not exactly the worst case scenario. Teddyloid doesn't really get involved with anime too much but his impact tends to be pretty high. His contributions to the Panty and Stocking score were really key components to why that show sort of worked at all. Similarly, Me!Me!Me! is mostly carried by the music is bases itself around. I don't really consider it to play to the worst stereotypes of anime or something, because I don't think it's really going out of its way to titillate or shock, it's just adhering to a specific vision. A lot of it winds up being pretty gross but I don't think it's playing to shock value either.

Girl is really another thing entirely, even though it's a companion piece to Me!Me!Me!. I'm surprised anyone would find it objectionable, and I don't really think you're being fair to Yoshizaki. Girl has its eye on love and physical intimacy but its presentation isn't perverse. Me!Me!Me! is almost comically over the top in its portrayal of sexuality, but nothing about it really gave the read of being desirable. It goes very far out of its way to be nightmarish. Yoshizaki has a good eye for framing and creating interesting imagery.

This stuff comes out much more on Girl for me. Some of the imagery can be very blunt but there's loads of really small touches in Girl that just really work. Some of the first few shots sort of blend the sparkling lipgloss of idealized femininity with this glinting sand, an environment that represents an absence of sexual coupling in the short. The strong visual imagery maintains a very specific direction and purpose while still opening itself up to heavy amounts of personal interpretation. I've watched it way more than the other shorts, in part because of the music but also because there is a lot there to unpack, and it opens itself up readily to intense amounts of examination.

I don't think many people like Robot on the Road. The lead on it is gross and irredeemable, but it's a very complete vision that's well paced, and the production on it surpassed most of the other stuff coming out of the Animator Expo. Just really, really impressive character motion, even if it was in the service of something potentially questionable.

Me!Me!Me! finding more attention than any of the other shorts is kind of unfortunate, but it's not exactly the worst case scenario....

That's pretty spot on, actually. Robot on the Road was one of the standouts for me ESPECIALLY because of the unease I felt about the content. My only issue with it was that I didn't know whether it was a commentary on privacy in the modern world or if I was reading too much into it. I'm leaning towards the latter.

On the topic, I would pay good money to see an extended edition of cassette girl or a longer series based off of it.

Watch Daicon IV

As soon as I get done with this unending project over Snowpiercer, I'll be sure to give it a watch. As it stands, I'll be editing this video for the next eternity.

Edit: Yo, Art wasn't canon.

Still, I'm so hyped about Jack returning.

So goddamn hyped.

Edit: Whoops anime thread....oh well. Animation related. Still good.

Narag

Mazinger Z 11
GRiLpD1l.png

Had the same feeling of melancholy seeing WW2 still being a recent thing as I did when it happened in one of the first Cyborg 009 movies. Too easy to forget how recent it was in '72.

pbayne

I really wish some anime tried to emulate Samurai Jack's style.

Like no characters talking for up to ten minutes and just let the visuals do the talking. It won't happen but i can still hope for it.

Narag

Like no characters talking for up to ten minutes and just let the visuals do the talking. It won't happen but i can still hope for it.

That's basically the first ep of Texhnolyze.

Mature

A lot of Oshii's films have a similar crawling, meditative pace to them.

Where's this from?

Boy do I feel dumb right now.

I got it from the Jack thread, but when I actually looked, it appears that person in that thread didn't check enough.

It's a fan creatation that someone passed off as the real thing.

This is why you check your sources ladies and gentlemen.

Goddammit.

I do feel like quiet moments are pretty rare in anime now.

You know how you can make me like a character?

Make them shut up once in a while.

Russ T

Banned
Quiet moments is a very significant part of why I love Mushishi so very much. It's meandering and contemplative in the best of ways.

Jarmel

Banned
Gintama 87-
Holy shit, talk about quality whiplash. The show went from arguably the worst episodes in its entire run straight to the best two episodes so far. What the fuck. The character art, storyboarding, and direction went straight through the roof. Lots of interior frames, color shifts (like the white at the end being symbolic of the sister passing on or the dark shadows and color at the docks reflecting Hijikata's rage), or the soundtrack putting in work.
Even in the damn movie I don't think the character designs looked this good.

Glad people liked it, poured a lot of work into that interview.

Oh wow, thanks for making it! I can get that it took some effort but I think it was worth it. Awesome interview~

I do feel like quiet moments are pretty rare in anime now.

You know how you can make me like a character?

Make them shut up once in a while.

I feel like Non Non Biyori handled silence really well, it obviously depends on the kind of show whether it can be pulled of or not but some of the quiet scenes worked well to portay the setting of rural Japan. I think someone recently posted a trailer of another show made by the same director(?) that was just about some guy sleeping, pretty interesting stuff I'd say.

Obviously Evangelion had the best silent scene, maybe they even took it too far lol.

Quasar

Hyouka is a great example of what I'm talking about - it's a great show but a TERRIBLE mystery procedural. The mysteries and the solutions are not solved in satisfying ways but are rather vehicles for character development and exploration of the psyche of the people involved. In addition, no one in the show even really cares about the mysteries, which excuses them to pull some really banal stuff out of their ass to construct the scenes they need.

Chitanda cares.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider 10
I'm a little surprised by some of the reactions to this episode. Early on with the series I was concerned by the simplicity of the mystery, but this story has continued to expand to answer questions about its characters I found far more interesting. Virtual Reality machines are utilized for deep dives that provide an additional layer of visual language that grows larger than life as the more crucial answers are laid out.
On top of that, the ethereal nature imbued on the killer is able to draw the cast into this dream-like world, keeping them distracted and able to dancing one step ahead even while they hold the answers in their hands. This events and presentation of this episode far surpass the simplistic bombast of tearing a sheet up to unveil the killer. I am very excited to see the conclusion next week, as this series has definitely shot up to being one of the strongest of the year.

Oh, and fun opening stuff in case it wasn't already good enough:
This -> becomes this -> before slipping away.

Mailbox

Lance n' bullshit 6-11
Fuck my life. 1 more episode to go next week and then on to the next terribad anime, i guess.

Digimon Adventure tri (Reunion)

I'll admit, i REALLY enjoyed this. It was basically what I expected. A continuation that is more grounded because the characters are older. It reminded me a good bit of Tamers, which was a nice plus and the art style worked quite well. Wasn't a fan of the old digimon art style. I've seen other forum posts among places saying disappointed they were, and all i can say is that nostalgia can really fuck up a good thing.

I will admit that the 4th quarter is the weakest due to pacing and Taichi's dilemma. The fight at the end just escalated from champion to ultimate to mega to omnimon way too quickly for my liking (though I do appreciate alphamon just wrecking everyone's shit prior to that.)

As for Taichi, I actually like the idea of his dilemma a lot. The fear of collateral damage makes sense, and since he's a teenager it makes sense that he can't, or at least refuses, to observe the irony and hypocrisy of just not doing anything or running away. The problem comes from it being overblown, specifically in the 4th quarter. It ends up feeling needless at that point.

I was scared that the love angles and triangles would get stupid or annoying, but they aren't focused on much at all, which worked well. I also liked the subdivisioning crunchyroll did. The episode stops felt good and like proper episodes in an arc.

Basically, if they can fix the mistakes of the 4th quarter and not have that happen again, I think we're in for a treat with this series of movies.

Looking forward to more :)

non non biyori does silence amazingly.

The silence offers some of the best and emotional moments in the Non non byori. Completely agreed.

First 3 minutes of Gundam Thunderbolt.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3hpbxy_gundam-thunderbolt-first-3-min-preview_tv
The visuals look on point. Really excited for this after reading the manga. It's like 0083 with the blood-pumping intensity and without most of the romance bs.
I like the small stuff that they added to the anime too, with the Zaku using a sub arm to remove obstacles and the pilots' smoking room.

That does look pretty solid. Very fluid animation.

Weird that we're getting so many Gundam shows and products lately.

Shomin Sample
download.png

No show, goddammit, don't introduce this type of character.
(I'm referring to the loli, not the maid.)

Second half of the episode was fine though.

I will give this show props for knowing how to animate comedy well. Funny faces abound.

javac

Gurren Lagann Ultimate Edition Blu-ray set
Price: £39.99
(116 units available)

We recently received returns, meaning unsold stock, from retailers of our out-of-print Gurren Lagann Ultimate Edition Blu-ray release.

All units that we have are brand new & sealed, but there might be a loose disc tray in the digipack component that was raised at the time of its release. This can be rectified by repositioning the tray and pressing firmly on the glued areas. As has been documented, this unfortunately was a problem that some people encountered.

So with the above in mind we thought we would give everyone the opportunity to purchase one of these sets at a price that we will never offer again as part of our 12 Days of Christmas 1-day deals.
UK and Ireland residents only

duckroll

You guys are so lucky you don't have to deal with aniplex USA bullshit

They're only "lucky" because they exist in a BD region code outside of Japan and US which allows their companies to region lock releases making Japanese companies feel more secure about allowing whatever lower price they want to offer.

Mailbox

They're only "lucky" because they exist in a BD region code outside of Japan and US which allows their companies to region lock releases making Japanese companies feel more secure about allowing whatever lower price they want to offer.

Thats fair, sorry.

I should have said that they didn't have to deal with the bullshit pricing (mostly). :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom