• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erigu

Owarimonogatari-1
I didn't like how this was directed. The 'empty' classrooms in the flashback hurt the mystery side of things. I think this probably worked much better in the novels than it does here.
Yeah, I think it did. It was more of a mystery in the novel, too: you got descriptions for all suspects as well as some other details, and really were expected to try and figure out the culprit. Also,
novel Araragi actually went out of his way to hide the fact that Tetsujō was their teacher
Not that it would have been a great idea to spend a third episode on this story in animated form... While I do think Shaft could have done a considerably better job (especially with the resolution), it was a tricky one to adapt.

This kinda felt lazy in that they didn't want to create character designs for the classmates.
Then again, since Tetsujō being the teacher was supposed to be a twist, you couldn't quite show them anyway.
(still would have liked Tetsujō to get an actual design for the very end)

Cornbread78

The Asterix War ep.1
Otaku shit aside, this was a pretty interesting episode. I mean, these battle anime's aren't my cup of tea, but this looks like it could be decent. Trying to match up Julis'VA to other roles now, sounds very familiar, lol.

Phatmac

Great first episode that brought us back with our favorite volleyball team's determination and silly antics. Hinata stole this episode by grabbing that ball and saying he was from the concrete with this badass look.
C5XqDyN.png
Super excited for the practice between teams!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
There's been a string of great sports anime recently, like that one about ping pong, that one about plastic robots, that one about tanks, and that one about euphoniums.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Still waiting for the next Adachi adaptation. I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

There's been a string of great sports anime recently, like that one about ping pong, that one about plastic robots, that one about tanks, and that one about euphoniums.
The swimming one is the best.

blurr

Owarimonogatari 01

Well, this was a solid 48 minutes, nothing extravagant but the usual back and forth of monogatari conversations.

Also, really reminded me of Danganronpa for obvious reasons :p

Jarmel

Banned
The Haikyuu opener wasted zero time and picked off where S1 left it. Just great animation, direction, music, comedy, and trashtalk. Absolutely perfect.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Arararararagi would never heil hitler.

Enron

Banned
I remember Cartoon Network skipped that ep when they aired Lupin in the early 00s. I think it was one of the early eps, like ep 5 or something.

Soma

Kizumonogatari PV

ok i'm back on board

that was almost good enough to motivate me to catch up on the rest of the monogatari series

almost

Mailbox

Overall its a good series.

But it has 2 big problems.
The first is that some scenes that should have lots of impact just feel stale or lacking. This mostly comes into play when characters die, but its not limited to that.

The second is that is a lot of fluff. 2 big filler episodes and 1 arc that is worthless.
These aren't good.

And of the 3 other arcs, i only found 2 to be great and the other one having one lacking problem. The first and last arcs are good. The Helmajistan arc had a lot of things going for it, but the fact that the whole
child soldier
angle of Sousuke only ever becomes "yeah i have to fight against my friend". Other than a few character reactions, we don't see any other affects of this. Its such a waste.

Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry 1
Yesss. And here we go. I like how they foreshadow all the expected characters that is going to show up in later episodes.
And that OP or ED was actually really good, did not expect that.

Looks like I will be one of the people watching both Asterisk and Cavalry this season? Fun time are to be had.

Russ T

Banned
Haikyuu!! starting of so Damn strong. So fucking pumped for having that back in my life.

Also watched the first episode of Shirobako and Gatchaman Crowds, today.

The former seems potentially interesting, but did not immediately grab me. But the potential manga I am guaranteed to keep watching.

The latter is... Very very energetic. And colorful. And that OP is fucking great. Damn so great.

yami4ct

Noragami S1 1-12 (END)

I went and checked this out based on the hype from here and I'm really glad I did. I had a really good time with it. Tonally, the show is very similar to a ton of other recent supernatural series (both Blue Exorcist and Soul Eater came to my mind), but the show really works because of its cast.

The main 3 and the relationships between them are super interesting and really charming. The Yuki and Yato plot in particular I think was a really interesting exploration of the whole god/regalia idea the show had. It was super interesting to watch them grow and develop together and I think the conclusion to that particular plot line was a pretty good emotional beat. Hiyori is the least interesting and most standard member of the main cast to me, but even she brings a ton of charm to the show. Her outsider perspective I think really works in scenes like where they first meet Tenjin. It helps ground the plot in the real world and make everything feel quite believable. i just wish the show didn't feel the need to force romantic subplots on her. It didn't really fit the relationships they were developing with her and just came off as a distraction.

Where the show is weakest for me is just the overall plot. There's just not that many new ideas here. Outside of the cool regalia and god concept, everything being done here was predictable and pretty standard. It didn't help that it feels like a really small part of a larger whole (which it is). A lot of that can't be helped, but I definitely felt a bit empty at the end when the only really major plot they built up that paid off was the Rabo one, and that was by far the least interesting of the main threads being spun. I'm glad it's getting a season 2, because there's too much world here to explore and I feel like season 1 just scratches the surface.

The last thing I want to talk about is how much style this show has. Visually and musically, it's just so much fun. I love the use of bright colors to make otherworldly characters pop in a sort of mundane real world. It works super well. The fights are fun, fast and frenetic and I loved watching them. The music deserves special mention as well. From the great OP to the cool in show music (featuring the always awesome Lotus Juice), the music here was a real standout and I look forward to seeing what season 2 brings on that front.

I just really enjoyed the show overall. It was definitely worth the rather short watch it was and it was one of the more fun series I've seen in a while. When BONES really gets a hit, they are one of the coolest studios around. Here's hoping the stuff they have coming up this season turns out just as well as this.

wonzo

Banned
VOTOMS: The Last Red Shoulder

I've heard tons of mixed things about the various VOTOMS spinoffs/OVAs/sequels etc but this really was everything you could possibly want in a Chirico centric OVA. Felt like a Mellowlink prototype only with far more mecha and broken people forced to fight their own former comrades to seek justice in a bleak and uncaring world.

Will check out the next two sometime.

Narag

Samurai Flamenco 10-12
Slowly playing catch up due to having a bit of time. Show's going as expected so far and just sort of there.

Kizumonogatari PV

Alright that was pretty hype. The sound in the first half is killer, I love whatever technique that is, I've seen it in other trailers. Will be cool to see Oshino again and Araragi before he was used to all this. Of course the main draw will be the Kill-Shot stuff, though. The character designs do look sort of off. Kind of wish this was a tv series and not 3 movies...

Michiko and Hatchin 14

Pretty good episode, the chase scene in particular was ace. Show has grown on me but I still expected more from it. The old assassin dude was cool too.

Mailbox

I watch most of the anime through my Vita as well. The OLED looks Beyer than my phone and/or PS4 most of the time.

Good ol'-ed model. Got mine since launch and it still works like a charm. I should consider doing the same actually. The size would be just right.

I've watched some on my OG vita as well. Its a good experience, but the wifi in my bedroom is kinda shit, so I stick with my PC being powerlined into my router.

Tenkyou no Alderamin anime announced
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/131/1131943/

The mighty Katjvarna Empire is currently embroiled in a war with the neighboring Kiorka Republic.

Within an unspecified corner of this empire, a certain young man was reluctantly preparing to take the High Grade Military Officer Exam owing to mysterious circumstances. His name is Ikta.

As a man, Ikta abhors war, is slothful by nature, and worships the female form.

At the time, no one could have possibly predicted that a person like him would become a military figure worthy of being called a legendary general......

The young Ikta, armed with his superb talents as a soldier, struggles to survive in a world ravaged by war. This tale will recount his tumultuous life up until this point, as the curtains are drawn for a spectacular chronicle of fantastical warfare!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom