• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

Gintama 301

Wow, this episode. This arc certainly lives the hype and it's still the start. The biggest twist is not that Shige Shige is alive, but that he's a ninja apparently. lol

Okita's fight was short but too fucking good.

CazGhrS.png
Her face killed me. lol

Thoraxes

Thats fair, sorry.

I should have said that they didn't have to deal with the bullshit pricing (mostly). :/

I paid $550 for my JP BD-BOX and have zero regrets. For me and the value I place on the series, it's 100% worth it. The shitload of behind the scenes stuff, artbooks, concept art, unused setting/character guides from earlier iterations, interviews, misc. videos related to the production and casting, as well as events, drama CDs, and more are just great.

Chindogg

Shomin Sample
download.png

No show, goddammit, don't introduce this type of character.
(I'm referring to the loli, not the maid.)

Second half of the episode was fine though.

I will give this show props for knowing how to animate comedy well. Funny faces abound.

Haruka is one of the funniest characters in the series so it's not that big of a deal.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
oh damn I'm super tempted, is the transfer good? for that price it's such a good set. I haven't seen parallel works in a long ass time either.

There are a few video issues, though when I watched it only one was really apparent.

I only have the cheaper standard edition so I can't comment on the rest of the pack.

Now where's my Super Duper Ultra Deluxe Limited Collector's Edition of Kill Me Baby?

Jintor

revolutionary girl utena 01

i've been reading essays about this anime since like 1999 or something (when I was old enough to understand essays but not old enough to understand a book that says 'anime' on the cover was, in 1999, going to be primarily made out of essays)

i don't know what's going on but i like it but am also very confused?

Generate

Banned

i've been reading essays about this anime since like 1999 or something (when I was old enough to understand essays but not old enough to understand a book that says 'anime' on the cover was, in 1999, going to be primarily made out of essays)

If you are confused then you are watching it correctly.

pbayne

Have you read Susan Napier's essay on it? Its good stuff.

Just keep watching. Its honestly not too hard to decipher.

Haruka is one of the funniest characters in the series so it's not that big of a deal.

Yeah, she's okay.

But I think her character could have stayed the same if she wasn't a loli character.

Anyway, today's episode of Noragami has been delayed a week.

Oh, and here is the trailer for the second season of Snow White with Red Hair.

Edit: Actually scratch that news about Noragami. Apparently it's only being delayed on TOKYO MX.

So today's episode should still be on.

Hagi

There are a few video issues, though when I watched it only one was really apparent.

I only have the cheaper standard edition so I can't comment on the rest of the pack.

Now where's my Super Duper Ultra Deluxe Limited Collector's Edition of Kill Me Baby?

Hmm I think I'll pass and get the standard set after Christmas, have to save money for One Punch Man volume 1 anyway. Hopefully the Full Metal Panic set Anime Limited are doing will be cheap next year, I'd like to pick that up.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kampfer Episode 1:

I think we may have just found the poster child for that anime cliches that need to die thread over in the OT.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That's Japanimation to you.

The rapid display of a sequence of static images of a Japanese origin.

Hmm I think I'll pass and get the standard set after Christmas, have to save money for One Punch Man volume 1 anyway. Hopefully the Full Metal Panic set Anime Limited are doing will be cheap next year, I'd like to pick that up.
I got the standard set for about £18, which I think is a very good price for the amount of episodes you get. I've not seen Parallel Works or the two movies so honestly I have no idea what I'm missing out on. Also despite what the site says, I'm pretty sure I have the television version of episode 6 on my SE discs.

Thoraxes

Kampfer Episode 1:

I think we may have just found the poster child for that anime cliches that need to die thread over in the OT.

Kampfer is amazing.

It was the blessing I was given when I came out of my temporary anime hiatus in 2009 (and Nyan Koi too).

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kampfer is amazing.

It was the blessing I was given when I came out of my temporary anime hiatus in 2009 (and Nyan Koi too).

Yea, not really what I am in the mood for so I have decided to give a crack at this Bakemonogatari thing people keep talking about.

Quasar

Browsing my local public library anime collection. Spotted volumes of Oreimo and Maken-ki as well as Princess Kaguya together. Not sure whether to be proud or not.

Thats fair, sorry.

I should have said that they didn't have to deal with the bullshit pricing (mostly). :/

You get what you pay for though. American anime disc releases by Sentai and the like may be comparatively cheap, but they are consistently barebones, with poor packaging, no special features, and questionable video quality often caused by too heavy compression to fit series onto fewer discs. Japanese releases are usually a much higher-quality product, which they can offer because they charge more.

Aniplex of America gets too much of a bad rap for their pricing. They make sure that pretty much every anime they license is available for online streaming for free, so if you don't want to spend money you have that option to watch their shows. Physical media is ever more a niche product, now that online streaming services and digital downloads have become so prominent, so offering them as a collector's product with a corresponding price only makes sense.

phaze

House of Five Leaves Episodes 1-7:

Right, so I meant to get to this series awhile back in my quest to watch some Manglobe titles that I had yet to watch but got detoured by other series but that is over and done with. At any rate, I understand this is an adaptation and not one of their original titles but so far I have found this to be one of the better works from the studio. Even on an adaptational level I would much rather watch this then the bland and washed out grit of Gangsta mainly because one of the best thing about the show is the characters. This is an area I have noticed Manglobe has had some problems with in some of their creations, even the likes of Samurai Champloo didn't click with me completely. Though I suppose it makes sense even in spite of this being such a short series that character and chracter interactions would be the bulwark of the series since this is basically a coming of age/fish out of water story with samurai. Also a really nice series if you are looking for an atypical anime since everybody is an adult and we are dealing with adult situations in spite of the fact that Masa has some growing up to do in the eyes of the society he inhabits. Also the art style is rather interesting though I could not say I am digging it with faces and expressions so wide you would think that Shaft was animating the production.

Not that there is anything wrong with watching HoFL, far from it but did you drop Ergo Proxy for good ? You were just getting to the fun parts. :(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well as someone who mostly only cares for the show and not the extras I don't mind a bare bones release as long as the quality is good, so I'm pleased with AllTheAnime's approach. Saying that I noticed this the other day:

Girls Und Panzer Collection
Girls und Panzer OVA Collection

Come on mateys. You have to buy the OVAs separately rather than being included with the show? That's poor form. Hilariously, the Amazon reviews are shared across the two products.

Generate

Banned
Well as someone who mostly only cares for the show and not the extras I don't mind a bare bones release as long as the quality is good, so I'm pleased with AllTheAnime's approach. Saying that I noticed this the other day:

Girls Und Panzer Collection
Girls und Panzer OVA Collection

Come on mateys. You have to buy the OVAs separately rather than being included with the show? That's poor form. Hilariously, the Amazon reviews are shared across the two products.

Does this have the edited Katyusha or not?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Does this have the edited Katyusha or not?

This review says:
The translation could be better.

The fact that the Russian's singing Katyusha was cut out was super disappointing! Also some of the words just aren't well translated like "Tankery" instead of Senshadou and even going as far as replacing "Und" with and. I dunno it's just weird, the fan translations are much better.

I included the rest because someone complaining they didn't use "und" in the subtitles is hilarious.

And for fun:
I loved it. No unclad girls, no fan service but a solid feel good anime (by the way I'm 60 this year) both my wife and I were rooting for them. Only downside - we've finished it!
gbgxoK7.png

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Bakemonogatari Episode 1:

Yes, this will fill the void left behind by The House Of The Five Leaves quite nicely though I am sensing that I am going to need a double PHD in artistic symbolism and Japanese cultural studies before everything that I just saw will start to make logical sense.

Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider 10

I'm a little surprised by some of the reactions to this episode. Early on with the series I was concerned by the simplicity of the mystery, but this story has continued to expand to answer questions about its characters I found far more interesting. Virtual Reality machines are utilized for deep dives that provide an additional layer of visual language that grows larger than life as the more crucial answers are laid out.

On top of that, the ethereal nature imbued on the killer is able to draw the cast into this dream-like world, keeping them distracted and able to dancing one step ahead even while they hold the answers in their hands. This events and presentation of this episode far surpass the simplistic bombast of tearing a sheet up to unveil the killer. I am very excited to see the conclusion next week, as this series has definitely shot up to being one of the strongest of the year.

Oh, and fun opening stuff in case it wasn't already good enough:
This -> becomes this -> before slipping away.

Yup this was one of my favourite series this season as well. I'd easily place it in 4th or 5th on my Top 5 of the season. The whole thing was such a cerebral experience, I just have to give the show props for that. All of the clues were there from the start, but just like the characters, Magata was able to divert our attention towards something else.

Also those images are interesting. You have a good eye.

Bakemonogatari Episode 1:

Yes, this will fill the void left behind by The House Of The Five Leaves quite nicely though I am sensing that I am going to need a double PHD in artistic symbolism and Japanese cultural studies before everything that I just saw will start to make logical sense.

Monogatari is just the kind of show that I enjoy just because the stuff being said sounds smart. No idea whether it is or not since the character just feed me words and I eat them without complaints. It works in that world, but boy would I be tired of interacting with these hyperactive characters if this were to be real life lol.

duckroll

He probably won't be writing the whole thing by himself, just a few episodes, but good news for his fans.

Doubt he'll even be writing a "few" episodes. He's just a guest writer like Nakashima. They're not changing writers or anything. It's still Aikawa's show. :p

In a celebration of both Christmas and the announcement of the release date to his newest movie, I'm giving away a Blu-ray copy of one of Makoto Shinkai's films, Children Who Chase Lost Voices.

The rules to my shitty giveaway are that you simply PM/Quote at me a guess at my favorite sports anime. If you guess right, your odds of winning are drastically higher. If you are the only one who guesses right, you get a 1/1 chance at winning. If no one guesses right, I'll choose randomly. If you somehow guess the anime I have every season of on Blu-Ray that I'll never admit to owning, I'll feel awkward and also put you into the pool of people who guessed right. So there's that.

NA only sadly, since shipping gets awkward going anywhere else. If anyone is on campus in Cambridge, I might hand deliver it depending on when I go to visit my family back home.

Contests will end on December 15th. I've never done anything like this on GAF before so point out if I've made some grave error.

ZZ Gundam 24

God bless Tomino and ZZ Gundam for paving the way for other seminal works of the genre like Infinite Stratos.

jesus, the godfather of every harem protagonist hahaha

I wish that short manga about the gay lead in a harem gets an anime. Best reasoning as to not getting with the girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom