• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

Noragami Aragoto 11

Veena is surely the best when she's back as the awesome god of war we first met her. Her fight with Izanami was ridiculously good, one of the most awesome scenes in the series so far. Yukine's fight was also quite good too. I really hate his continues bitching about Nora though. Oh and Nora has a creepy but soft side.

Is the next episode the last one? Also, preview spoilers:
I reaaally didn't like the fact that I saw Izanami holding Kazuma. Oh my god. :(

From a visual standpoint, I really like the Dead or Alive OP over Exist, because of all the callbacks and reference it does, like entirely reanimating portions of the Shangri-La opening and all the shots of long-dead characters. The full version even has vocal references to both Shangri-La and Exist.

But yeah, Exist gets my blood pumping a lot more, especially since it was used as an insert for some great moments.

Just to add on to what you said, the full version of Dead or Alive also has references to Soukyuu, the movie theme.

And if you wanna talk about inserts, how about Sono Toki, Soukyuu e? That Big Damn Heroes moment is still one of my favorite scenes in Exodus so far.

Gvitor

Wait, you guys skip OPs regularly? It's been a while since I've skipped any. I'm only following, I dunno, 4-5 anime per season, but the OPs in those have been consistently good. OPM and Haikyuu S2's OPs are terrific imo.

Mailbox

Wait, you guys skip OPs regularly? It's been a while since I've skipped any. I'm only following, I dunno, 4-5 anime per season, but the OPs in those have been consistently good. OPM and Haikyuu S2's OPs are terrific imo.

When you binge a lot, skipping OPs becomes second hand.
That said, this season has had some really great OPs so i've been skipping less and less.
(Specifically OPM, Owarimonogatari, and The perfect insider OPs )

Skipping an OP and ED = 3 minutes time saved. When you are marathoning that adds up

Some OPs I watch every time though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Nope. I just start up a show and let it roll, even with shows with awfully boring OPs like Tokyo Ghost 45 Degree Angle Squared + 2. Though on that occasion I should have just skipped the whole show and not just the OP.

Most OPs aren't worth watching every episode. Some aren't worth watching more than once. Though EDs are usually the thing I skip the most.

Gvitor

Well, yeah, I understand the reasoning to doing so while binge watching. That said, I still rarely skip OPs. They have to be really annoying for me to do so. EDs, sometimes. OPs almost never.

Just to add on to what you said, the full version of Dead or Alive also has references to Soukyuu, the movie theme.

And if you wanna talk about inserts, how about Sono Toki, Soukyuu e? That Big Damn Heroes moment is still one of my favorite scenes in Exodus so far.

There's the chanting section for Shangri-La, the "Follow me, follow you" for Exist, but haven't been able to pick it out where the Soukyuu one is. Pretty nice knowing it wasn't forgotten, but in that case, where's Peace of Mind from Right of Left? Loved that one.

And yeah, Sono Toki is great as well. Since we were talking about OPs, I only brought up Exist.

There were hardly any OVA/Movie of note this year anyway. There was Psycho-Pass, Resurrection of F, Boruto and the Yamato Movie. Obviously there were probably Doraemon, Pokemon and Shin-Chan movies but I dont think anyone here watches those

There's the chanting section for Shangri-La, the "Follow me, follow you" for Exist, but haven't been able to pick it out where the Soukyuu one is.

At the very beginning. The chanting "Trust me trust you - where is AZURE"

In Soukyuu itself the line is "Trust me trust you - where is soukyuu". But I believe soukyuu roughly translates as azure anyway.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
There were hardly any OVA/Movie of note this year anyway. There was Psycho-Pass, Resurrection of F, Boruto and the Yamato Movie. Obviously there were probably Doraemon, Pokemon and Shin-Chan movies but I dont think anyone here watches those
Well we do limit it to five to take into account that people won't be voting for as many. Saying that this year I've enjoyed.

Sarusuberi, Love Live and The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (It was released in the UK this year).

There's also Little Witch Academia: Mahou Shikake no Parade and The Gundam Origin films (though with two more parts to go people may hold off on that).

While I did see it, I'm not going to vote for Empire of Corpses.

When Marnie Was There
Animator Expo Seasons 2 and 3
Ghost in the Shell: New Movie
Aki no Kanade
Shashinkan
Hinata no Aoshigure
Miss Hokusai
Hozuki no Reitetsu OADs
Gundam the Origin
Sinbad
Yamato 2199: Odyssey of the Celestial Ark
Tamayura Graduation Photo
Mushishi film
Typhoon Noruda
Gundam Thunderbolt
The Case of Hana and Alice

All of the above come to mind. Personally I prefer ranking anime all together rather than separating by format, but there are a bunch of movies/OVAs/shorts/etc. that I'd feel comfortable voting for.

Speaking of movies, here is an English subtitled trailer for Doukyusei from Aniplex of America.

The New Gits movie was good.

Well we do limit it to five to take into account that people won't be voting for as many. Saying that this year I've enjoyed.

Sarusuberi, Love Live and The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (It was released in the UK this year).

There's also Little Witch Academia: Mahou Shikake no Parade and The Gundam Origin films (though with two more parts to go people may hold off on that).

While I did see it, I'm not going to vote for Empire of Corpses.

When Marnie Was There
Animator Expo Seasons 2 and 3
Ghost in the Shell: New Movie
Aki no Kanade
Shashinkan
Hinata no Aoshigure
Miss Hokusai
Hozuki no Reitetsu OADs
Gundam the Origin
Sinbad
Yamato 2199: Odyssey of the Celestial Ark
Tamayura Graduation Photo
Mushishi film
Typhoon Noruda
Gundam Thunderbolt
The Case of Hana and Alice

All of the above come to mind. Personally I prefer ranking anime all together rather than separating by format, but there are a bunch of movies/OVAs/shorts/etc. that I'd feel comfortable voting for.

Speaking of movies, here is an English subtitled trailer for Doukyusei from Aniplex of America.

I feel like release windows and stuff like that makes it weird. Also to be honest I haven't heard of a lot of those movies/OVA.

I never skip op or ed, the hassle of managing the remote control to do it negates any time savings. Additionally, if I dont like it Ill just do other things manipulate food, do work, etc.

I honestly dont understand the Haikyuu op love. I guess Ive gotten tired of Spyair :(

Yeah, truth be told I didn't watch more than a few OVAs this year. I wouldn't be against lumping them all together into the same category. If folks want it separate then that's fine, but I really won't be able to contribute much for that one.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yeah, truth be told I didn't watch more than a few OVAs this year. I wouldn't be againts lumping them all together. If folks want it then fine, but I really won't be able to contribute much for that one.

That was partly the reason for the split. Because so few people watch them they were almost always going to suffer against TV shows that everyone watches. It's a way to highlight anime people may not have heard of.

That was partly the reason for the split. Because so few people watch them they were almost always going to suffer against TV shows that everyone watches. It's a way to highlight anime people may not have heard of.

It makes sense, in a way it could actually make me watch a few that I missed.

I feel like release windows and stuff like that makes it weird. Also to be honest I haven't heard of a lot of those movies/OVA.

That non-TV anime is not immediately simulcast internationally, and are usually one-off productions as opposed to ongoing series, they do tend to get overlooked by Western anime fandom. Unless it's tapping into an existing franchise, such as Eva Rebuild or Madoka Rebellion. That's unfortunate, but that'll only change if things like the upcoming Crunchyroll simulcast of Garakowa become more common.

Also speaking of movies, it has just been announced that The Red Turtle, a film coproduced by Studio Ghibli and French studio Wild Bunch, will release in Japan in September 2016. The film is directed by Dutch director Michael Dudok de Wit and overseen by Isao Takahata.

sonicmj1

Right so the reason why I have reacted so harshly to these past two episodes is because I don't think the series really understood just how much of a fucking monster Dr. Shiki Magata was in the end. Setting aside the creepy insect love thing she engaged in, she basically condemned an innocent person to a life of isolation and insanity because the good doctor had never heard impulse control and was huge hypocrite. Talking about living without limits while keeping her daughter locked up for fifteen years to complete some insane philosophy that she doesn't even follow through with considering the big twist is the victim was actually her daughter and she isn't a VR being, she escaped on a boat after killing two more people. Oh and any discussion about this being a good mystery get thrown out the window once they introduced the daughter element in the first place. That was not an event that could really be hidden and here is where they fucked up on the details. They went to the effort of having her request odd things like toys and stuffed animals but stumbles when it is realized that for example babies need thing like baby food and diapers and then never really addressed that.

Oh, she absolutely is monstrous. In that respect, Saikawa's sympathy for her reads very strangely. I feel like one of the bigger weaknesses of the show is that it hasn't done a great job of putting us in his headspace.

And those points didn't bother me at all.
Babies don't need baby food (there's always milk), and if you're willing to put up with some mess, they don't need diapers. If we're willing to accept that Shiki gave birth entirely by herself at fifteen years old, the rest isn't that shocking.

I was more put off in this episode by how
Shiki appeared in VR on their closed network if she was actually on the mainland, somehow using a VR system of her own.

It's mostly the way the dialogue and exposition is delivered. These scenes where the characters sit in a room, talk, and introspect really seem like something that would come across more naturally through text, especially with use of 3rd person limited where we have access to their thoughts.

Those are all things that can absolutely be captured in movies and television. It's just more difficult. Portraying them properly requires skilled and creative direction.

It's interesting bringing those points up after this episode. The extended VR sequence serves entirely to communicate the characters' interior feelings visually, particularly apparent in the contrast between Saikawa's surroundings and Nishinosono's. I feel like all of those sequences in the show so far have been extremely strong.

For people who have enjoyed Perfect Insider so far, I feel compelled to recommend another literary mystery adaptation, Mouryou no Hako. It's not as much of a logic puzzle, but it does a much better job handling the emotional side of its story and communicating through visual symbolism. I found it fascinating to think through both during and after the time I spent watching it.

destroyed by ass would have been how I wanted to go anyway.

Death by ASS would be an interesting mark writting on your tombstone, LOL

An ass hole to the end

EcQj8G7.png

What did I miss

Cornbread78

Heavy Object ep.10
Well, another battle is about to begin abd this time there is some personal business the Major has as well. This should be interesting next week, hopefully, the good guys win, lol.

Haikyuu!! FTW

Our most reblogged Anime and Manga? Haikyuu!! tumblr.co/VLIZH #tumblr2015 pic.twitter.com/h2lTlMkAmM

1. Haikyuu!!
  2. Attack on Titan
  3. Tokyo Ghoul
  4. Free!
  5. Naruto
  6. JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure
  7. Kuroko No Basuke
  8. Sailor Moon
  9. Hetalia
  10. Dragon Ball Z
  11. Neon Genesis Evangelion
  12. Hunter x Hunter
  13. Fullmetal Alchemist
  14. Fairy Tail
  15. Black Butler
  16. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
  17. Durarara!!
  18. Love Live!
  19. One Piece
  20. Dramatical Murder

John Blade

Another sales order for Right Stuff. Look like they're few more stuff I want to get into my collection. Here is the list of items I am getting now.

Samurai Champloo Blu-ray Complete
Read or Die (R.O.D.) TV Original CD Soundtrack 1
Patlabor WXIII Movie 3 Blu-ray
Patlabor 2 Movie Blu-ray
Noir Complete Series Blu-ray Anime Classics
Love Hina CD Soundtrack: Hinata Girls Song Collection
Oh My Goddess Manga: Colors (Color)
One Week Friends Blu-ray
Martian Successor Nadesico Limited Edition DVD
Sweet Blue Flowers DVD
Time of Eve: Offical Fan Book
Time of Eve: Another Act Novel
Servant x Service DVD

Look like I will went over budget of what to get now.

You know, regardless of how Concrete Revolutio turns out as a series, this scene will always be hype to me.

Oddly enough, the fact that we'll probably never see the fight doesn't bother me.

Mailbox

Yuru Yuri season 3 2-10

Surprisingly enjoyable season. Once you get past the new colour usage, this becomes quite a nice slice of life show. A few jokes that fall flat, but also a few that take you by surprise.

Episode 8 is the standout, very very good episode. The first 5 minutes are amazing in its lack of voices and its use of music and sound. Then it gets promptly ruined by the OP which is by far the worst OP this season, and the weakest thing about this show.

It doesn't fill the hole made by non non byori repeat, but the third season of Yuru Yuri is pretty good if you are looking for a slice of life show :3

Fairy Tail 263
download_1.png

Okay, enjoyable episode.

But you know, casting Toshiyuki Morikawa, aka Ninja Slayer, as your cunning main villain was perhaps a bit of a mistake.

I hear his screams of pain as Ninja Slayer screaming in pain.

This arc has an odd moment in light of recent revelations, when you realize
if Grey had destroyed the book, he would have killed Natsu.

duckroll

How much of the anime is actually like this?

I couldn't see the clip he linked because it's region locked (lol!) but I assume it's the amazing 3-way fight at the end of episode 3. If that's the case, it's the best looking action scene in the entire series so far, and nothing has really come close to topping it. Yutapon went to town animating that scene. His other scenes in the series so far are much more subdued or just less elaborate scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom