• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cardfight!! Vanguard G GIRS Crisis Episode 2 (EngDub)

Leon Soryuu is back and still a loyal follower of the wind, lovely.

Finally going to the DEPEND card is what we've needed since Gears Chronicle has gone public. I hope Chrono gets lots of DEPEND cards.

Futurecard Buddyfight100 (Hundred) Episode 36
CV_oYLYWIAAonyb.png

Ikazuchi episode delivered so much fun especially the time at the Mikados, he definitely wants to be Gao Mikado's friend but plot and that backstory. He could easily be Gao's bro since he has no one else, no family, no nothing, just anger and loneliness. Well I hope it goes there.

Good duel, my Noboru is fantastic.

Fafner: Exodus S2 24

Did something nice happen for once? Hell yeah it did!

Is what I wanted to believe, but FUCK. It was great seeing
the Zero Fafner again and I was really happy Mimika came back, but then that fucking ending with Akira.

On another note, I really have a feeling that they were planning to have
Shoko speak when Kazuki crossed with the Mir. It's unfortunate that circumstances ended up as they did with Matsuki Miyu, but I had a small hope that they possibly recorded her lines beforehand.

Pacing is still a bit fast. Plot is getting cleaned up at a bit too fast of a pace, not giving as much time for the character development that was the strong point in earlier episodes. But maybe that's because now that the cast is reunited, there's not enough time to focus on each individual compared to when they split episodes between island and exodus. Still great, though.

Quasar

Started the annual vote thread on another forum.

Looked at my MAL. Only one current show rated above a 7 (Shirobako). Didn't realise 2015 was such a blah year. Maybe I'm just getting more jaded and marking things harder. Then again I don't think I gave out anything lower than a 5. Well not for anything new...I did get roped into a Queens Blade marathon.

Looked at my MAL. Only one current show rated above a 7 (Shirobako). Didn't realise 2015 was such a blah year. Maybe I'm just getting more jaded and marking things harder. Then again I don't think I gave out anything lower than a 5. Well not for anything new...I did get roped into a Queens Blade marathon.

You're a monster. At the very least, Gatchaman Crowds S2 came out this year.

Edit: Your Lie in April did too. :l

The way I mark things on MAL is completely different from yours. I mark on a seasonal basis. If I really love the show, it gets a 10. If there's a show that I like ALMOST as much as that favourite one, it gets a 9. Other shows is a question of, which do I like best/look forward to each week. So a 10 this season, could have been a 9 or an 8, or whatever on a different one.

Quasar

The way I mark things on MAL is completely different from yours. I mark on a seasonal basis. If I really love the show, it gets a 10. If there's a show that I like ALMOST as much as that favourite one, it gets a 9. Other shows is a question of, which do I like best/look forward to each week. So a 10 this season, could have been a 9 or an 8, or whatever on a different one.

Yeah. I've never given a 10 and only a handful of 9s. I'm guessing 80% are 5-6. Which I guess is how I have a mean of 6.0 on 436 completed things.

Yeah. I've never given a 10 and only a handful of 9s. I'm guessing 80% are 5-6. Which I guess is how I have a mean of 6.0 on 436 completed things.

Damn, harsh critic aha. I believe I'm at 7.8 or something, I also have way less shows than you. I've tried doing that, marking everything as a whole but then that would mean that with the passing of time I'd probably keep going back to rearrange my scores as I add more stuff into the list.

Narag

Whisper of the Heart

Going to have to watch this again sometime next year to form a real opinion about it all. Loved the realism but sometimes I get hung up on a detail going in when I'm caught unawares and the cover of John Denver's "Country Roads, Take Me Home" as well as its usage throughout the film was the last thing I expected. Ended up giving that more attention than the rest of the movie.

Shizuku getting lost in her own fantasy world was pretty great though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hacka Doll The Animation 11
I found myself wishing the 3D CG idol dancing ED was longer than twenty-five seconds. What the heck is wrong with me?

That could work. Do we know if this is a union dub yet?

Haven't heard about that. Can't say.

Garo Crimson Moon Episode 10
download_1.png

You know, the first half of this episode wasn't too bad.

The animation was on point. The humor was okay. The horror in this episode, while not visually interesting, reminded me of the doctor horror from the original series.
It managed to blend the general theme of the divide between the ruling class and the citizens in its narrative reasonably well.

But then the second half of the episode happened. You know, this show reminds me of Parasyte, in that the music playing often doesn't match the general mood of the scene.

They're confronting a horror that shrinks and eats people, a horror that used to be a good man. It's an emotional moment for one of the characters, but some easy jazz is playing. It's odd.

And of course the horror is taken out in one shot, like all the horrors in this show are.
Raikou only seems to struggle with wearing the golden armor, but never fighting the horrors. It's boring.

ibyea

Banned
Oh, she absolutely is monstrous. In that respect, Saikawa's sympathy for her reads very strangely. I feel like one of the bigger weaknesses of the show is that it hasn't done a great job of putting us in his headspace.

And those points didn't bother me at all.
Babies don't need baby food (there's always milk), and if you're willing to put up with some mess, they don't need diapers. If we're willing to accept that Shiki gave birth entirely by herself at fifteen years old, the rest isn't that shocking.

I was more put off in this episode by how
Shiki appeared in VR on their closed network if she was actually on the mainland, somehow using a VR system of her own.

Those are all things that can absolutely be captured in movies and television. It's just more difficult. Portraying them properly requires skilled and creative direction.

It's interesting bringing those points up after this episode. The extended VR sequence serves entirely to communicate the characters' interior feelings visually, particularly apparent in the contrast between Saikawa's surroundings and Nishinosono's. I feel like all of those sequences in the show so far have been extremely strong.

For people who have enjoyed Perfect Insider so far, I feel compelled to recommend another literary mystery adaptation, Mouryou no Hako. It's not as much of a logic puzzle, but it does a much better job handling the emotional side of its story and communicating through visual symbolism. I found it fascinating to think through both during and after the time I spent watching it.

For me, the way she is monstrous just feels like a stretch. In some ways it feels like her personality was contrived that way just so the mystery could be that way. I mean that obsession with fifteen was just plain weird. Which granted all my arguments have been from incredulity and so doesn't hold up to scrutiny, but man something about it feels wrong for me personally. It doesn't make the show terrible though, there are aspects I did like and in the end I am glad I did get to watch it.

Regarding the large dialogue portion, I personally did like the VR sequence. Oh and thanks for the recommendation!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Hacka Doll The Animation 11
I found myself wishing the 3D CG idol dancing ED was longer than twenty-five seconds. What the heck is wrong with me?
Glad i'm not the only one.
MMD is such a great tool, and the manipulator/ choreographer is great.

Overlord 1-8
This is apparently based on a light novel that I've never read, so I don't know how much the overall quality is being effected. I do know that for a dude was initially set up to be the big bad he's turning out as an anti-hero more than anything else. I don't really get a sense of full on jack-ass evil here. Maybe I'm reading too much into the initial set up? I don't know.

Momonaga feels like Kirito no.2 only he hasn't gone full retard on me yet.

Looking forward to the dub. Hopefully they air it on Toonami.

Prototype

I watched Redline last night. Wow.

Any thing else like that, not necessarily racing theme, but that style and the way it animates. Sogood.gif

pbayne

Any thing else like that, not necessarily racing theme, but that style and the way it animates. Sogood.gif

No because it took seven years to achieve those looks.

At least I can't think of one that comes close.

Maybe the live action Speed Racer movie is your best bet.

Chindogg

Overlord 1-8
This is apparently based on a light novel that I've never read, so I don't know how much the overall quality is being effected. I do know that for a dude was initially set up to be the big bad he's turning out as an anti-hero more than anything else. I don't really get a sense of full on jack-ass evil here. Maybe I'm reading too much into the initial set up? I don't know.

Momonaga feels like Kirito no.2 only he hasn't gone full retard on me yet.

He's basically a full on anti-hero in the LN. He does what serves him best but does have problems with innocents dying.

Not really but that's the reason I started to love MADHOUSE. The artstyle and animation is crazy.

One Punch Man is probably their next consistently best looking show in terms of crazy action scenes, and that's not even studio regulars apparently.

Outside of MADHOUSE the only other show I can think of that way that style of no fucks given in animation and utter craziness is Gurren Lagann. Some of the shit in the second half is straight up bonkers yo

So with 2015 winding down, I'm curious.

What do you guys think was the worst show you watched all year?

For me, I actually don't even have to think about it.
74375l.jpg

There's literally nothing good about Chaos Dragon.

Nothing about it is even remotely close to good.

It's like the creators actively tried to make as bad a show as they could.
But then again, I'm not sure if anyone involved with Chaos Dragon tried.

Moaradin

Punchline is probably the worst thing I've seen this year that I finished. It just wasn't very funny, and it never earned any of the serious stuff it tried to do towards the end. It had moments though and wasn't completely terrible. More mediocre than anything. I got pretty lucky and avoided the really bad shows.

There's a moment in Chaos Dragon where a prominent male character has his friend's decapitated head thrown at him in the middle of a fight to throw him off balance, and he just swats it away like an annoying fly, not reacting at all. He didn't know that his friend had been killed either. He just doesn't react, doesn't care.

His female companions smiles, and says with reverence that because this characters knows loss, he doesn't need to react to the news of his friend's death. At all. And that it's a positive quality to be respected about him.

And this is played 100% completely straight.

Shergal

Look up Trava: Fist Planet, by the same staff as Redline.

Also Hells Angels is kind of similar, but not exactly the same style.

I guess for something more popular, if you haven't seen Mind Game you might like it. Not really like Redline art-wise but it has some funky colorful vibes in it as well.

There's a moment in Chaos Dragon where a prominent male character has his friend's decapitated head thrown at him in the middle of a fight to throw him off balance, and he just swats it away like an annoying fly, not reacting at all. He didn't know that his friend had been killed either. He just doesn't react, doesn't care.

His female companions smiles, and says with reverence that because this characters knows loss, he doesn't need to react to the news of his friend's death. At all. And that it's a positive quality to be respected about him.

And this is played 100% completely straight.

I haven't seen it but wouldn't this show fall in the "so bad it's good category" then?

Because that sounds pretty funny to me.

The worst shows are the ones that are mediocre all the way through.

I haven't seen it but wouldn't this show fall in the "so bad it's good category" then?

Because that sounds pretty funny to me.

The worst shows are the ones that are mediocre all the way through.

No, you won't laugh at this scene.

This scene is boring.

Chaos Dragon, even at its worst, is boring.

The show also has some of the worst CGI I've seen in a long time.

cd3-3.png

This was produced back in 1994.

duckroll

Does anyone still keep up with Code Geass Akito the Exiled? I watched the third one earlier and I feel massively confused. Part of it is that I don't really remember some of the details from the first two, but the timeline of the entire story feels really off compared to what happened in Code Geass and Code Geass R2. Help. :(

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

74375l.jpg

No contest as that award goes to Ranpo Kittan, good lord I am still not sure what the fuck this was other then a hot mess.

Dynedom

Does anyone still keep up with Code Geass Akito the Exiled? I watched the third one earlier and I feel massively confused. Part of it is that I don't really remember some of the details from the first two, but the timeline of the entire story feels really off compared to what happened in Code Geass and Code Geass R2. Help. :(

I'm honestly just planning on watching them all in a marathon once they're done. I feel the same way.

74375l.jpg

Please stop. Chaos Dragon was one of the best entries in fantasy this year. Ibuki against the world gathering allies and facing evil doers trying to undermine him and his goal, the constant confrontation of what it really means to be important to someone, and the character design and direction positions it in the upper one third of the best anime this year.

duckroll

Watched the fourth part of Akito the Exiled. I guess in the context of the OVA series itself, the narrative makes sense. What I don't get is why there are these weird ties to the Code Geass series which make it feel kinda implausible. I'm not sure if any of it can really be properly explained in the final episode either. One thing that really bothers me is how the story tries to up the stakes with the political stuff by suggesting major upheavals in motion, but since this is an inbetweenquel we already know that certain plans will undoubtedly fail. That's a really odd narrative decision especially since the core story is a more personal one involving new original characters which would work fine on their own. It just feels like they tried to expand a simpler story into a more complex one along the way and some parts feel half baked. Oh well, the CG action is superb at least! :p

Punchline is probably the worst thing I've seen this year that I finished. It just wasn't very funny, and it never earned any of the serious stuff it tried to do towards the end. It had moments though and wasn't completely terrible. More mediocre than anything. I got pretty lucky and avoided the really bad shows.

What even? Punchline was one of the few anime that shows time travel and diverging lines can really work in anime. In fact Id say its the best entry for the time travel genre (along with BuddyCom). The serious body change story was handled with dignity and respect, the comedy was perfectly timed to help keep things from getting too tense, no cast member felt unnesccesary (unlike steinsgate), the action involving worldwide proportions which was complemented by masked heroes all worked to create a perfect storm of definitive storytelling.

pbayne

What even? Punchline was one of the few anime that shows time travel and diverging lines can really work in anime. In fact Id say its the best entry for the time travel genre (along with BuddyCom). The serious body change story was handled with dignity and respect, the comedy was perfectly timed to help keep things from getting too tense, no cast member felt unnesccesary (unlike steinsgate), the action involving worldwide proportions which was complemented by masked heroes all worked to create a perfect storm of definitive storytelling.

Fucking lol

I haven't even watched the show but that is some defense case there. I'm actually kind of interested in it now.

Jintor

i saw a pretty rocking and accurate english OPM cover but even though it was, like, relatively cool sounding and whatnot I just had the thought that, oh god, it doesn't matter how musically amazing an anime OP is does it always just sound to a native speaker the same way expository theme tunes to american cartoons sound like to a native english speaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom