• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Soma adaptation is great, you can do either. I think the voice acting adds a lot to Soma.

It got crazier later on or what?

Not really, the silliest episode was the one about the giant girl and that was ep 6 or so

VD could be way stupider, it flounders its greatest strength tbh. Also the main duo suck

Kanbaru probably knew that Shinobu wouldn't actually kill her

She sure seemed like she was ready to do it lol.

Read it instead, tbh.
The Soma adaptation is great, you can do either. I think the voice acting adds a lot to Soma.

You see I am always 50/50 on the "you should just go read the source material", but tbh with something like Soma, I'd say watch the show. As good as the art must be in the manga, seeing food with colour beats what you would see in a manga in black and white. As well drawn as it may be. Colour is such an important component of what makes a dish look good.

You see I am always 50/50 on the "you should just go read the source material", but tbh with something like Soma, I'd say watch the show. As good as the art must be in the manga, seeing food with colour beats what you would see in a manga in black and white. As well drawn as it may be. Colour is such an important component of what makes a dish look good.

The adaptation is fine, this is not really a case where you're missing out by not reading the source material.

Cornbread78

Calvary ep.11
Ikki's got it bad, like real bad here. I hate all these "corrupt org." plotlines lately, especially with Asterisk and Calvary. It's such and old and tired plot device. I liked the premise of the show, but not how it was executed or the bizarro art design.

javac

In regards to how Anime Limited got the FMA UK license:
anime_andrew:
Aw bless, I've seen loads of lovely theories like this today! Hate to break it to folks but the license for the UK lapsed from Funimation a while ago so we bought the rights directly from Aniplex Japan actually :).

So whatever we do is between Aniplex and us, not Funimation :).

Szadek

So Mikage was desperately clinging to a memory that happened long ago.
Pretty much, although his memories aren't very accurate.
the Black Roses work by by using the memory of something the Black Rose Duelist wishes they could have changed or prevented? That's just what I'm thinking right now.
While I'm not entrily sure how excatly the black rose works, you nailed what the Black Rose Duelist fight for.
They are all overcome by negative emotions to the point that they are basically trying to turn back time.

The adaptation is fine, this is not really a case where you're missing out by not reading the source material.

From what a friend of mine has told me yeah, it's been pretty well done. He also says all chapters up to the current one maintain the same great quality of entertainment all throughout, and that basically all the anime needs to do is keep doing what they did with season 1 and stay faithful to the manga material. Basically Soma S2 is going to be great lol.

Hey, I rememer that series! It was an interesting mystery with lots of dialogue and little action at times, but then again I like that kind of thing.

It is not the sort of series that becomes popular among anime fans, but often times those are the best sort of series. I just finished watching episode 2, and the character interactions are so refined and sophisticated. To have a fairly substantial cast, all of whom have well defined personalities and a natural way of playing off each other, is fairly impressive.

I need to start something new. I finished up Durararararara X2: The Second Arc and then watched School Live, which ended up being super goddamn depressing. Now I need something new, and maybe a little bit more upbeat and positive.

Line_HTX

From what a friend of mine has told me yeah, it's been pretty well done. He also says all chapters up to the current one maintain the same great quality of entertainment all throughout, and that basically all the anime needs to do is keep doing what they did with season 1 and stay faithful to the manga material. Basically Soma S2 is going to be great lol.

I believe in J.C. Staff and they'll get the job done.

I need to start something new. I finished up Durararararara X2: The Second Arc and then watched School Live, which ended up being super goddamn depressing. Now I need something new, and maybe a little bit more upbeat and positive.

Kiniro Mosaic. It's very upbeat, to say the least.

XD

ibyea

Banned
Box of Spirits: 1
I am impressed and intrigued. It definitely made quiet a first impression with some of the horror elements.

Gvitor

Soma is really faithful to the manga. They skipped Megumi playing ping-pong, which was a shame, inverted the order of two short arcs (the Karaage arc and the Joichiro's return to Polar Star arc), and skipped on the reveal of a major character (
Mimasaka
) for the season (but they'll eventually introduce him next season). Aaand that's pretty much it. Minor changes and if you want to continue reading the manga where the anime stopped, it's perfectly doable, unlike, say, Assassination Classroom and Nisekoi. (I can't bother to go back and read the chapters they skipped so I'm just watching the anime).

Asterisk War 09-11

Playing catch-up. The festa has started and so far it's by the books. A bunch of fodder characters to overhype the main enemies. Apparently next week is the first big fight (and the 1st cour finale). I'm betting Irene joins the Ayato harem after he stops her from going berserk and hurting her sister.

There isn't much good stuff salvageable in this anime, I really don't know why I watch this.

The ED is nice.

It got crazier later on or what?

I was being sarcastic. Roommate got a Funimation account so I was watching new stuff.

Have you seen Non Non Biyori? If you haven't, you need to see Non Non Biyori.

There isn't much good stuff salvageable in this anime, I really don't know why I watch this.

Cute girls.

Cornbread78

Utawarerumono ep.11
Ok, I laughed way too much at this episode, lol. I mean, it got serious towards the end, with good judgment to teach a lesson to the princess, but the whole thing was funny as hell.

Asterisk War is basically Light Novel: The Anime.

Btw, it dawned on me, I'm caught up on the series....

...I can't remember what the title of the show means...

sonicmj1

Box of Spirits: 1
I am impressed and intrigued. It definitely made quiet a first impression with some of the horror elements.

Hooray, more people!

oh but it's not good though ):

You're not good though :(

Seriously, it's a difficult show, so not everyone is going to like it. I enjoyed how challenging it was, but that's just me. The puzzle isn't so much the mystery itself, but what everything in the show represents.

JCG

I think this is the worst kind of fanservice though. It's writing which shows a lack of confidence for actually trying something completely new in an established setting. There is really little to no reason for characters like Lelouch, Suzaku, and CC to be involved in any way with a story of this sort. They existed only to give nudge nudge wink wink cameos to fans who for some reason might enjoy the work less if their favorite characters don't show up in everything. If the intention of Akito is to expand the Geass world to make it more detailed and feel larger, stuff like this has the opposite effect - it makes the world feel smaller because a few key characters the audience is familiar with somehow pops up everywhere and is involved with every major event that takes place. It's one of my pet peeves.

It's a matter of opinion, since the existing canon did establish a couple of things about the old cast that were relevant to this scenario: First, Suzaku went to Europe between seasons, so it's to be expected that some of his activities would be shown or referenced. Second, C.C. is one of the main sources for giving Geass powers to various users, so having either a flashback or a throwaway line to her involvement makes perfect sense. If you completely ignore that basic information, then the resulting gaps would tend to be harder rather than easier to explain away.

Strictly speaking, the vast majority of Akito the Exiled is still essentially made up of new material. Even if we do get to see a couple of familiar faces, their roles -and screen time allocations- have changed and the results aren't just more of the same. Thus I would beg to differ, because for me the "worst kind of fanservice" would literally be Code Geass R3 with Lelouch being the main star again and rebelling against something or other. That's what some fans claim they want to see, but I would consider it to be completely unnecessary and almost certainly far too repetitive.

Conversely, I think it's interesting to see a few members of the old Geass cast in different roles during the events of Akito the Exiled. You feel that those connections make the world smaller, but I'd say we now have access to another perspective. I think the surrounding context has visibly expanded and several important actions have been taking place without their participation. They pushed a couple of buttons but aren't driving the narrative. Even Zeta Gundam still expanded the Universal Century, one way or another, despite having Lt. Quattro showing up on a regular basis along with Amuro Ray and a bunch of other minor cameo appearances from known characters. I admit that it's definitely hard to find the right balance and not everyone will be pleased by where Kazuki Akane decided to draw the line, but he is indeed trying something new.

duckroll

It's a matter of opinion, since the existing canon did establish a couple of things about the old cast that were relevant to this scenario: First, Suzaku went to Europe between seasons, so it's to be expected that some of his activities would be shown or referenced. Second, C.C. is one of the main sources for giving Geass powers to various users, so having either a flashback or a throwaway line to her involvement makes perfect sense. If you completely ignore that basic information, then the resulting gaps would tend to be harder rather than easier to explain away.

Strictly speaking, the vast majority of Akito the Exiled is still essentially made up of new material. Even if we do get to see a couple of familiar faces, their roles -and screen time allocations- have changed and the results aren't just more of the same. Thus I would beg to differ, because for me the "worst kind of fanservice" would literally be Code Geass R3 with Lelouch being the main star again and rebelling against something or other. That's what some fans claim they want to see, but I would consider it to be completely unnecessary and almost certainly far too repetitive.

Conversely, I think it's interesting to see a few members of the old Geass cast in different roles during the events of Akito the Exiled. You feel that those connections make the world smaller, but I'd say we now have access to another perspective. I think the surrounding context has visibly expanded and several important actions have been taking place without their participation. They pushed a couple of buttons but aren't driving the narrative. Even Zeta Gundam still expanded the Universal Century, one way or another, despite having Lt. Quattro showing up on a regular basis along with Amuro Ray and a bunch of other minor cameo appearances from known characters. I admit that it's definitely hard to find the right balance and not everyone will be pleased by where Kazuki Akane decided to draw the line, but he is indeed trying something new.

I dunno. I think a R3 with more Lulu would be dumb but it won't be the worst since if I don't care for more of the same I can just ignore it while those who do want it because they have bad taste will at least get what they want. The problem I have with these cheap cameos is that they don't really add anything to the characters and it just stands out as a LookAtTheseCharacters moment. I see nothing worthwhile in terms of perspective in the inclusion of any of the characters so far.

I do enjoy seeing Akane try different things with Geass, I just wish it didn't feel so compromised especially given how he had spent so many years on this instead of some other original work. Feels like a waste of his talent!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I would say that a great adaptation brings a new perspective to its interpretation of the original material. With Soma I don't necessarily feel that the change in format has really been accounted for, and like most long running shows it can have a tendency to drag when it's not in something as easily digestible as manga. Soma's anime iteration isn't unenjoyable, but I didn't really get as much out of it as I did the manga. Like...the anime's own brand of personality mostly seems to come out in the emphasis on fanservice.
Erina is better animated.
I don't feel like they got the casting right. Just too soft. Alice is on point though.

Smile Precure - 35

Me:

CWFSfQgWcAA3ccW.png:large

AnimeGAF:

Asterisk 11
Alot of info dump this episode. Not too much that it's overwhelming though.
Looks like best girl Claudia
is using an ogre lux that makes her see death everything she sleeps. Sheesh man, that suffering is real.

Rakudai 11
I...wow. Did not expect the anime to shift so dramatically.
They absolutely nailed this one. If that picture intrigues you, watch this episode.

Cornbread78

eal.[/spoiler]

Rakudai 11
I...wow. Did not expect the anime to shift so dramatically.

They absolutely nailed this one. If that picture intrigues you, watch this episode.

The change in tone did came out of nowhere... The artstyle was super tippy this week as well
.. You always think there will be a bad guy involved, but nothing like what poor Ikki is going through

The change in tone did came out of nowhere... The artstyle was super tippy this week as well
.. You always think there will be a bad guy involved, but nothing like what poor Ikki is going through

Being Ikki is suffering man. They did not even include the point where
he was eating drug induced food

I was gonna keep the fact that I was watching Smile Precure a secret until I finished it, but after that episode I can't not talk about it.

Seriously, they paid homage to freaking GaoGaiGar in that episode.

And then they decided to add in a TTGL reference for good measure.

CWFZfclWcAA1LHc.png:large
CWFZo77XIAA3kwb.png:large

CWFZ4fYWUAAbZFO.png:large
CWFbbUKWoAAoafp.png:large

Yayoi basically became Kamina for a second in this episode.

Top it off with the OP being played as an insert song, Miyuki's finisher being a rocket punch,and Smile Precure successfully demonstrates how it has more super tobot spirit than any other mecha anime in the past four years when it aired.

Cornbread78

Owarimonogatari ep.11
Damn, that Kanbaru x Shinobu convo was pretty intense. It took up a majority of the episode and I didn't even notice haw quickly it flew by. This is by far the best show of the season and one of the best of the year. Damn..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom