• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't watched Haikyuu, and I don't know if I will since the only sports anime I've ever really liked was Ping Pong (which really wasn't a sports anime.), but I have to give the show props.

Every time I see it, I always think it looks really cool.

Like it's just a flat out 100% cool show.

fertygo

I haven't watched Haikyuu, and I don't know if I will since the only sports anime I've ever really liked was Ping Pong (which really wasn't a sports anime.), but I have to give the show props.

Its pretty damn cool indeed.

You missing the best shot from the scene

Hinata's intimaditing face? Kageyama's smug face or that badass Crows vs White bird shot?

So many good things happened in just that one scene, and all the other scenes also delivered, this whole episode was so good.

fertygo

Hinata's intimaditing face? Kageyama's smug face or that badass Crows vs White bird shot?

So many good things happened in just that one scene, and all the other scenes also delivered, this whole episode was so good.

Kageyama's "good shit, bro" face was glorious.

[Urusei Yatsura] - 144
z8EjBSQ.jpg

Even dreams come in trilogy now. $$$
A lot of Sakura this episode. :)
Jariten gives Sakura a dream fruit Lum made, but Sakura keeps having dreams with Ataru on them, and part three is the wedding...Lum takes a fruit to stop it while Ataru takes one to make Sakura marry him instead of Dream Ataru. lol
Dream Ataru vs Ataru was funny.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

My problem with these sports shows is that if I don't care about the characters or why they are playing the game, then everything else is incidental.

I'm sure there are people who would argue that Haikyuu looks way better than Ping Pong, but Ping Pong made me care about where everyone ended up by the end of the series. Something that Haikyuu (and at the time, Baby Steps) just failed to do.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ergo Proxy Episode 3:

Oh hey, they finally made Vincent somewhat interesting now though he still feels like a side character rather then the alleged co-protagonist and I suppose love interest here
I am not sure why I did not guess he was one of the Proxies before this episode but it really does put things into preservative for the moment.
Anyway, still not feeling the conspiracy angle, many because the council of pretension clearly is drawing from the cup of The Matrix sequels and also omniscient council of vagueness is certainly in the vague part of its mutterings.

pbayne

My problem with these sports shows is that if I don't care about the characters or why they are playing the game, then everything else is incidental.

I'm sure there are people who would argue that Haikyuu looks way better than Ping Pong, but Ping Pong made me care about where everyone ended up by the end of the series. Something that Haikyuu (and at the time, Baby Steps) just failed to do.

Id recommend Hajime no Ippo then. It does a great job of building up every fight and making you care for the characters(even the opponents).

phaze

Ergo Proxy Episode 3:

Oh hey, they finally made Vincent somewhat interesting now though he still feels like a side character rather then the alleged co-protagonist and I suppose love interest here
I am not sure why I did not guess he was one of the Proxies before this episode but it really does put things into preservative for the moment.
Anyway, still not feeling the conspiracy angle, many because the council of pretension clearly is drawing from the cup of The Matrix sequels and also omniscient council of vagueness is certainly in the vague part of its mutterings.

The "council" gets less prominent as the time goes on, IIRC. Though really, Ergo Proxy is filled to the brim with conspiracies and mysteries. If it bothers you a lot already, chances are, you won't find the show particularly enticing.

I think the success of Ping Pong comes from showing us two things in particular that makes it appealing to people who don't typically like sport anime.

It shows us who the the people are outside of the sports. A lot of the main characters care about the ping pong, but it explores why they care about, what drives them to care about it beyond the sport. What are they like as people? What drove their character before the sport? There are individuals out there who devote literally everything to a sport, and that's fine, but Ping Pong gave us more insight into the characters outside the sport. There are characters in Ping Pong who almost don't care about the sport. That's kinda rarely seen in a sports anime.The sports still plays an important point in the story, but it's not the only point. The characters drive the drama before the sport does.

Ping Pong was also one of the few sports anime that challenged the notion that winning is the most important thing. There's nothing inherently wrong with stories about winning and overcoming challenges, but when that's the main focus of a sport story, the longer it goes on, the more it kinda grinds down. I reach a point in Ippo where I'm just like, why isn't Ippo the best already? He seems like he should be the best by now.

I would argue dumb sport action is still better than something like Chihayafuru with all the "that Memory card game changed my life" monologues that every random opponent gets.

fertygo

If there's outlier for Sport show like Ping Pong, its excellent.. but not means an simple "Mighty Duck" esque story can't be called good show, an debate that beaten to the death already at this thread.

Defuser

New Accel World announced....a original scenario not a sequel....
igmyxaoqit.gif

And still no Index S3...this is beginning to be like a Shana situation where the third series tanked because they waited too long to be capitalized.

Man fuck you dengeki bunko.

edit:
I like Yaroan's reaction to no Index S3 announced.

禁書3期いいいいいいいいいいいいい‐  _ノ  ヽ、 \
          ___  ____     ‐=≡     (○)(○ )  |
    /    / ))))_|~~~.\    ‐=≡    (__人__)  u  |
   /    /_’⊂ノ―――――’ +    ‐=≡   |!il|!|!|      |
  /   / /   / ̄ ̄\         ‐=≡   {`⌒´    / 
 / / \ \ / (。)三(゚)\      ‐=≡_____>   _/
/ /    \ (ノ(  (_人_) u )   ‐=≡  / .__     \   .∩
/ /     ヽ ⌒  `⌒´ ⌒\  ‐=≡  / /  /    /\ \//
/       ノ      / ̄> > ‐=≡  ⊂_/  /    /  \_/
        /     /  6三ノ    ‐=≡    /    /
       /  / \ \  ` ̄      ‐=≡   |  _|__
―    /  ん、  \ \         ‐=≡  \__ \

Mailbox

You mean that it got even worse there?

S1 had like implications of some character develeopement and romance.

no i mean the "it changed my life" stuff is cut to a minimum and its all about the game and the characters getting better.

It follows the exact same event beats, still has internal monologues, but they are about the game and how someone is playing rather than "the past" and stuff like that.

A lot of it revolves around taichi getting to rank A.

(Though in all honesty, I loved both seasons anyway)

Edit: there are still implications of romance and character development. More so in the late episodes though

Mailbox

No index 3 makes me sad.
I'm not saying i want them to go further into new testament, but damn, there is exactly enough material in index to have 1 more season.

Its frustrating.
Theres also no reason for it not to happen either.

Defuser

Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry ep 1
Man, when will japan ever learned that teenagers with magical weapons in a school setting = fucking disaster in sales?
World break, Magical Warfare,Absolute Duo,Gakusen Toshi Asterisk(no brainer) and now this.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The "council" gets less prominent as the time goes on, IIRC. Though really, Ergo Proxy is filled to the brim with conspiracies and mysteries. If it bothers you a lot already, chances are, you won't find the show particularly enticing.

It doesn't bother me all that much and honestly pretension, surrealism, ambiguity and confusion are trappings of the post-cypberpunk genre.

New Accel World announced? YEAAAAAAHHHH-Oh wait it's not following the light novels?

Huh. Well I'll remain cautiously optimistic on this one. I don't know if Kawahara is going full anime original with Accel World or this is essentially a filler season.

But either way, I am excited to see more brain burst battles and KUROYUKIHIME.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
so I've watched all of season 1 of Haikyuu!! and I wonder if there is any other sports anime that is kinda like it in spirit?

I just watched two different shows back to back where a school guy intrudes on a half naked pink haired fire princess and therefore has to duel here and 'surprisingly' wins with just sword compared to here fir pew pew.

Anime is at its lowest point ever.

Young Black Jack 1

Ehh... his super skills, the surgery "action", the tension, the drama, it all felt basic, cheap. Same as the visuals, animation and direction, totally unremarkable.

Whatever this new Accel World thing is, I'm worried that the format and a release date hasn't been announced.

I hope this doesn't turn out like Digimon Tri where this is just a bunch of OVAs.

A 2016 release date would be nice too, please.

pbayne

Iron-blooded Orphans

Holy shit. Great palette cleanser after the wreck that was G-Reco.

As someone who has always hated the idea of newtypes I think the whisker thing they have going on and the fact that they look like an already component unit looks way more interesting. Great character designs all around, especially the fabulously bishy intelligence division.

Only complaint, I hope the MC isn't always the stoic, emotionless badass ala Inaho.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Episode 1:

Yea, already better then the 2014 crop of Gundam combined, though that is not exactly a high bar to overcome. Indeed this was a shockingly strong opening for a dramatic Gundam series, though I am not a big fan of how they have just introduced us to a seemingly cast of thousands with not too much in the way of context or breathing space I still will take that over the endless droning exposition of Heavy Object any day of the week.Already starting to hate the princess though; not the best first impression given.

Ascheroth

Gundam - Iron-Blooded Orphans 01

I know I said I'd only watch this after good impressions, because Okada is writing this, but curiosity got the better of me.

And it was actually... really good?

Defuser

Gundam Iron blooded orphans ep 1
Well that was decent first episode. Capture my attention better than G-Reco did.

I'm still wary though because of Okada.

duckroll

Gundam Guest Starring Child Soldiers - Episode 1

Pretty great start. Definitely reminds me a lot of the start of 00 in terms of tone, but the characters and setting is pretty different. Some of it is more like Wing, but overall it manages to be its own thing. The characterizations are really on the nose though. The adults are all "bad guys" and written to be cartoonishly abusive and opportunistic, while the child soldiers are brave and talented but being held down unfairly, etc. Hopefully it gets out of that phase when they break out on their own, because it's really tiring watching mecha shows where the adults are all incompetent while the kids are secret geniuses. Valvrave and Aldnoah had enough of that shit. :p

I'm surprised the on-air version had an OP at the end while the streaming versions and the early screening only has the song and rolling credits. That seems to suggest that the OP animation was only completed at the very last minute. Hopefully that isn't indicative of the production schedule for the series at large.... :p

Haikyu S2 - Episode 1

Amazing start to the new season. The way the show manages to build up the atmosphere of excitement is really impressive. Even though it was just reintroductions and a training match between team mates, the difference in how they all interact compared to the start of the first season really shows how the entire team has grown. I love the first season and this new season looks to be every bit as good if not better. <3

Attack on Titan: Junior High - Episode 1

Roflmao. Lol. Pretty good parody show. It tries a bit too hard at times, but mostly it's pretty funny. Great production values too. I love the style they're going for. Probably won't watch more than a few episodes of this just for the laughs though. At some point I expect it to get pretty old.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
So ended up looking for some sport anime, I think I'll either start with Yowamushi Pedal or Kuroko no Basket.

Also watched Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - episode 01

Actually a solid start, I'll take this over heavy object any day of the week. Did not expect this to actually be any good.

Jarmel

Banned
Gundam IBO-1
Very good start, much better than I was expecting. The cold opening was pretty chilling on multiple levels but it served as a great way to establish the characterization between the two leads. Mikazuki surprised me in his personality as he's much colder and scarier than I expected. I thought he was going to be the naive kid to Orga's experienced one but Mika is closer to something like the muscle for Orga. The scene where Mika put Eugene in his place was surprising, as despite him being younger than many of the other child soldiers there, Mika is somewhat feared and respected. There's a lot of minor scenes dealing with characterization where it shows Mika and Orga have an opinion on something even if they don't outright voice it. I suspect one of the themes of the show is going to be Mika finding his own voice, ala TTGL.

The political aspect is the usual Gundam shit and we're already getting backstabs already. Hopefully that gets fleshed out more but considering Gundam politics has always been bad, I'm not holding out for much more.
The fighting aspect is kinda cool due to the emphasis on grunt movements and tactics. I hope the show keeps that focus on the secondary units although I'm not sure how possible that is with Gjallarhorn probably getting serious soon. I'm also worried that the side characters might get left in the dust if they only have one mobile suit but maybe they recover a couple from the current fighting. The music was every bit as good as I expected thanks to Yokoyama.

Hopefully the production quality stays at this level, despite the many :wonzo shots. However the opening theme being finished yesterday isn't exactly giving me much hope.

New Accel World announced....a original scenario not a sequel....

And still no Index S3...this is beginning to be like a Shana situation where the third series tanked because they waited too long to be capitalized.

Man fuck you dengeki bunko.

I thought index franchise was already kind of low.

Accel World ought to have been the actual season 2, theres so much good content waiting to be animated. Oh well I read the books. I just hope the music gets two musicians again, and an Onoken ost, Onoken music was the best Accel World music. (Please no May'n)

SAO original movie is kind of weird, they could have just did Girl Ops movie.

Where is my Mahouka s2, Horizon s3, Devil is a Part Timer s2?

Sölf

Psycho-Pass Movie
Oh boy, how I've waited to finally see this. While I admit that the second season was worse than the first, I still really enjoyed it. After hearing that the movie was better than the second season, but not as good as the first, I had high hopes. And after seeing it, I really liked it. While you definitly need to see the first season to understand most of the plot, the second season was basically not really relevant. The new characters introduced in S2 had barely any screentime at all. So, basically, you could probably skip S2 and still enjoy this movie.

The overall plot this time is quite different and it also feels different. Where S2 felt like a weaker S1 with somewhat the same plot, the movie goes into a radically different direction. Whether you like that or you don't is up to you, I enjoyed this change. At it's core, it's still Psycho-Pass after all. I would watch a third season if one would be announced, but I honestly have to say, I don't know in which direction it could go, unless it repeats stuff from the others seasons or this movie again, which would be a shame.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed this movie and recommend it to anyone who likes the franchise.

Phatmac

Seemed decent so far but it didn't explain stuff well at all at the start in typical Gundam fashion. Not the biggest gundam fan but I'll take a mecha show anytime. None of the characters interest me besides Orga and Biscuit so far. Hope the MC isn't as lifeless as the kid from Aldnoah zero. The action looked like it had weight which was near. I'll stick with it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Itoshi no Muco
If Garfield was a dog and hyperactive.

Hackadoll the Animation
How Tim Cook envisions the future.

Young Black Jack
Either choose to update all character designs or stick to the original style. Don't do a mix a both. You have Jack Black with his handsome face straight from a shoujo manga in the same scene and some bloke with a massive hooter. The clash is almost unnerving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom