• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

One Piece 712

Good God it took them 4 minutes and 40 seconds to actually start the episode. And they adapted barely ~10 pages of source material. Bless my choice of switching to manga after first 50 episodes.

Aldnoah Gundam 01

Loads of dull but I guess to some degree necessary, expeditionary dialogue. It wasn't terrible but I can't say the Marsian princess angle excites me very much.

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans 1

This was a surprisingly good first episode. Right away It's sets a different and gritty tone that stands out in comparison to other Gundam shows and it does a good job at doing so. On the other hand, it's still a Gundam show and it's not unreasonable to think that it turn to shit at some point.

Gundam IBO first episode was pretty great. I can't help but think somewhere down the line Orga will become a bad guy and MIkazuki will have to learn to think for himself. The fact that Mikazuki seems very dependent on Orga for decision making right now just makes me feel like this will bite him later on

That or he'll end up getting killed. No doubt trying to save Mikazuki and telling him to think for himself before he dies if this is the case.

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans 1

This was a surprisingly good first episode. Right away It's sets a different and gritty tone that stands out in comparison to other Gundam shows and it does a good job at doing so. On the other hand, it's still a Gundam show and it's not unreasonable to think that it turn to shit at some point.

That or he'll end up getting killed. No doubt trying to save Mikazuki and telling him to think for himself before he dies if this is the case.
Yep. I can't see a scenario where he doesn't die or become a villain. SOmething is going to happen to make Mikazuki start thinking for himself

Ascheroth

Concrete Revolutio - 01

Huh.
I'm not really sure what to think of this show. It felt kinda underwhelming.
It's stylish as hell and has a car transforming into a mecha unicorn, but this episode left me as confused at the end of it as I was at the beginning.

I'll check the next episode out if it's better, but I'm not really feeling it so far.

At least One Punch Man is out now on Daisuki.

duckroll

Concrete Revolutio - Episode 1

First episode was pretty fun, and actually fairly tight as far as juggling multiple plot points goes, while still being self-contained as a singular story. The seeds are clearly being planted for the over-arcing narrative, while also presenting a format where they can tell episodic stories which build on that. I wonder if every story is going to have a "present" and "future" element to them, showing the consequences of Jiro's actions and how they eventually lead to whatever happens that causes the split.

I have to say though, for all the bad things I have to say about Aikawa's writing in various shows, one thing which I can't not respect him for is how passionate he is about cultural history. Here, the entire vibe of the world and cultural setting is very much an alternate reality Showa era. I would guess the calendar format is intended to match too, so "Shinka 41" would be an equivalent to 1966 in this reality.

The colors and art direction is right out of Un-Go, which is.... an interesting thing or a very bad thing depending on your taste. Lol. :)

duckroll

Concrete Revolutio - 01

It's stylish as hell and has a car transforming into a mecha unicorn, but this episode left me as confused at the end of it as I was at the beginning.

There's a special government task force of superheroes set up as overseers of superheroes in Japan. Jiro is an agent and he ropes Kikko into helping him on a mission. On the surface the mission is that a scientist is trying to sell state secrets to the enemy, but that was just the bait. The real purpose of the mission was two-fold - to recruit Kikko into the team because they had heard rumors about her, and to draw out another superhero who has been deemed to be a threat. All of this takes place in Year 41.

In the Year 46 flashforwards, we learn that Jiro had broken off from the agency and is on the run. Kikko wants to chase him down because she fell in love with him. In this instance, she discovers that at the end of the first mission, Jiro didn't let the guy die, but helped him secretly take on another power, without the agency knowing. It is hence implied that over the years, Jiro has been subverting the agency and gaining allies of his own.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Are in a superheroes fad now?

Samflam and Onepunchman and My Hero Academia. And there's more tokuspoof stuff like Binan High.

One Punch Man 01

s6FYKUg.jpg

The fight against the subterranians was cool, for the rest it kinda delivered on my expectations. I like the manga but I can't really say that I'm the biggest fan of it, I guess the same holds true for this adaptation.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Itoshi no Muco
If Garfield was a dog and hyperactive.

Hackadoll the Animation
How Tim Cook envisions the future.

Young Black Jack
Either choose to update all character designs or stick to the original style. Don't do a mix a both. You have Jack Black with his handsome face straight from a shoujo manga in the same scene and some bloke with a massive hooter. The clash is almost unnerving.
Yeah, that bothered me from YBJ. The main characters all look really good, but then you know anyone who is going to be scummy, since they're drawn like 80's anime villains. That doctor at the beginning who said they needed to amputate looked ridiculous.

Priz

From the Vintage Anime Fans FB group:
Just got out of The Empire of Corpses. While it had some pacing issues, I can't recommended enough to anyone who is a fan of 90's anime style violence and gore.
Also - Captain Okita....as Frankenstein. \(^o^)/

http://youtu.be/7MmFQxiroac is the trailer. Looks good!

Yeah, that bothered me from YBJ. The main characters all look really good, but then you know anyone who is going to be scummy, since they're drawn like 80's anime villains. That doctor at the beginning who said they needed to amputate looked ridiculous.

It's supposed to be a throwback to Osamu Tezuka the creator of Black Jack and the father of manga.

Ascheroth

explanation

That was poorly worded on my part, sorry. I understood what was going on, it was confusion regarding whether I liked it or not. I don't really know how I should put it :(
But thanks for the years, I didn't catch those!

One Punch Man - 01

Yeah, this was great. Animation is amazing, and even though I read the manga it still made me laugh.

Russ T

Banned
It's supposed to be a throwback to Osamu Tezuka the creator of Black Jack and the father of manga.

Yeah but then why do it with only one throwaway character (unless he comes back).

I honestly thought he was going to be important, because he's the only character (that I saw) that looked like that.

I'd rather have all the characters share the classic style. \:

zulux21

Komori-san wa Kotowarenai! ep 1

since it was short I gave it a watch... twas a mistake as it was bad. Heck there was way to much focusing on her random giant boobs to even feel like it was cute.

on the flip side I now know it is possible to have half of your script merely be the main characters name and still get it made into something.

Komori-san
Komori-san
Komori-san
Komori-san
Komori-san
Komori-san
Komori-san
Komori-san
why do you get so many re...
Komori-san
Komori-san
Komori-san
Komori-san
Komori-san
Komori-san
@_@

Man, looking at all these first episodes, there are so much good shows airing.

I wouldn't be suprised if half of the shows on my top 10 anime of 2015 would be from this Fall season.

duckroll

That was poorly worded on my part, sorry. I understood what was going on, it was confusion regarding whether I liked it or not. I don't really know how I should put it :(
But thanks for the years, I didn't catch those!

Personally I think whether the show will turn out well in the long run will depend on how willing they are to just tell very different types of stories in the narrative framework they've set up. If there are different types of stories about stuff they deal with over the years with different set ups and outcomes, it could be pretty interesting.

The only thing I know from Concrete is that basically they are trying to imitate the "super" Western concept, where some superheroes are mutants (too many), others are aliens (superman), others suffered a freak accident (Daredevil, Fantastic 4), other use technology (Ironman), others have magical origins (Doctor Strange, Thor?).
Except in anime version, so there will be mechas, magical girls, aliens, super-martial arts users, etc

Yeah but then why do it with only one throwaway character (unless he comes back).

I honestly thought he was going to be important, because he's the only character (that I saw) that looked like that.

I'd rather have all the characters share the classic style. :

Oh don't worry it seems guest characters from the original Black Jack by Osamu Tezuka will appear through episodes 2-4. Most of them are updated though and will have different roles.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-09-22/young-black-jack-anime-details-guest-characters-from-tezuka-manga/.93257

They're definitely trying to appreciate the original creator.

Concrete Revolutio 01

Oh wow went into this with no expectations and came out pleasantly pleased. Aliens, magical girls, mutants, superhumans I'm liking this.

Phatmac

AOTY amazing first episode from Madhouse. Haven't read the manga so it was pretty rad seeing this for the first time. Amazing animation with some rock made it so good. The OP is stellar. It's everything I could've asked for from what I heard about it.

kewlmyc

One Punch Man 01

Well that was fun. Hopefully it keeps up the animation in future episodes. I haven't read the manga, but I assume either Saitama is either going to meet people who are as strong as him, or the focus with shifted to another character. That or it'll just be the same gag nonstop.

Jarmel

Banned
Comet Lucifer-1
I went into this with bottomed out expectations and the show mostly turned out alright. It's a somewhat slow introduction showcasing Sogo's life in the mining town. The show is also laying the groundwork for some larger mysteries involving Felina. I didn't expect the big military component but that's sort of unsurprising knowing the writer. It doesn't look to be treading down Xam'd or Eureka 7's path although that 'spiritual' side of Xam'd seems to be present. Sogo's relationship with the mecha looks to be something akin to Heroman where Sogo isn't directly piloting the mecha and it just does its own thing. It does seem as though Sogo has to leave his hometown and travel, by the looks of the OP, so it might yet become a Xam'd/Heroman hybrid.
The art direction is unexpectedly pretty strong even if the composition is off in a few shots. The animation was also lacking in a few times although the CGI mecha fight stuff was done pretty well. The character models were weird in a number of scenes too but it wasn't that bad. It's 8 Bit though so I'm just waiting with bated breath for everything production wise to fall through the floor.
U2oYvin.jpg

Oh hello Lucifer
I do think the middle part of the episode was a bit slower than I would have liked but it's a decent watch. I'm curious how Felina is going to turn out.

One Punch Man 01

Well that was fun. Hopefully it keeps up the animation in future episodes. I haven't read the manga, but I assume either Saitama is either going to meet people who are as strong as him, or the focus with shifted to another character. That or it'll just be the same gag nonstop.

It's pretty much the same gag where Saitama can't find a decent fight throughout the manga. He basically overpowers every Villain with ease and that's pretty much the gag. Don't expect any tension because OPM lacks that. I guess you can say it focuses on other characters but it's pretty minimal because obviously Saitama is the MC.

Which is why the comedy has gotten stale for me after I kept on reading the series. It's not bad by any means but it isn't as good as I initially thought the series was.

Concrete Revolutio - 01

Very colorful and vibrant. At first I was confused with all the stuff happening, but at the end I think I got a pretty good picture of whats actually going down.
I think this was pretty dope, like they threw a bunch of stuff into a rainbow and this came out. Car-Centaur-Mech with gun blade is cool as shit. I'm curious how this will turn out.
[Sound on] Dat transformation. Dat trippy ED.

blurr

One Punch Man 01

(Disclaimer: I haven't read the manga, just going to speak as an anime-only viewer)

This was strictly a deconstruction of an aspect of super hero genre but it was really well done. It's ridiculous in terms of violence and action analogous to Man of Steel. I'm looking forward to the later episodes, it's going to be a wild ride, this episode laid the foundation for what's to come and what's to know. Saitama is the strongest there is.

So the new Gundam looks like it's gonna be good.

And Comet Lucifer looks nice too?

Guys, Mecha shows are back!

Three_Weeks_Later.png

Guys, Mecha shows are deader than ever.

Qurupeke

One Punch Man 1

I've read the manga but still it was nice to see this adapted. Looking forward to the continue. Do we know how many episode this will be?

So the new Gundam looks like it's gonna be good.

And Comet Lucifer looks nice too?

Guys, Mecha shows are back!

Three_Weeks_Later.png

Guys, Mecha shows are deader than ever.

HUSH YOU.

Comet Lucifer delivered everything I wanted (besides the CG mechs). It has established characters with actual likeable personalities as opposed to the characters in LN adaptations that we always get.

I believed in this show before and after this first episode my belief is now stronger than ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom