• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sölf;180725322 said:

Ahhh gotcha. Well for now, I'm on camp Cavalry. Will keep watching both weekly and update you whether it stays the same. Idk they are both silly and generic as heck, but while Asterisk tries to make itself super serious, Cavalry just has fun. Which ultimately makes the tropes and its "generic-ness" more bearable lol.

Iron Blooded Orphans 01

Child soldiers/slaves that have their bodies modified, blood, war, kids dying, fishy politics. Has Gundam always been this dark? Legit question since this is the first time I watch anything from this series. Definitely made an impact in me. Also on the list.

javac

Vol 1 Blu-ray Cover. Out 23rd of December 2015. Eight Volumes and 24 episodes in total.
D4S05O5.jpg
Amazon.jp

Mobile Suit Gundam 01

Child soldiers/slaves that have their bodies modified, blood, war, death, fishy politics. Has Gundam always been this dark? Legit question since this is the first time I watch anything from this series. Definitely made an impact in me. Also on the list.

Might want to call it G-Tekketsu or Iron Blooded Orphans, MSG is the name of the first series. Gundam tonally is all over the place.

Vol 1 Blu-ray Cover. Out 23rd of December 2015. Eight Volumes and 24 episodes in total.

Amazon.jp

So the girl will be a re appearing character I guess, that's cool.

Will re-edit, again I know nothing about the series. I was under the impression that it was just one of those shounen-as-fuck series, then I see this.

Haha, no. G Gundam and GBF for sure, but the original Gundam was the one to introduce the concept of "real" robots, unlike the previous popular super robots like Mazinger Z that are more in line with the shonen stuff.

yami4ct

Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 01
I was surprised how good this was. Episode was exposition heavy, but that's to be expected. I really dig the mechs, the world and the characters. Looking forward to seeing how it goes forward. Hopefully it keeps it up.

Comet Lucifer 01

I get the comparisons to E7 in terms of the world, but it really lacks the charm that made E7 so awesome. Nothing about the show or characters really stick out or stand above the crowd. It's so tropey. The world is interesting enough to keep me watching, but definitely the lesser of the mecha shows this season.

One-Punch Man 01

I'm not the biggest fan of the manga. It's entertaining enough to keep me reading, but it's not one of my favorites. I went to this show pretty much purely for the animation and it really delivered. Madhouse has done a great job capturing the scale and speed of Murata's art. This will be a fun one.

Concrete Revolutio 01

Boy this show is a looker. Such style. Love the massive shift in color palette from the present time and the flash forward. Story didn't immediately suck me in, but it has potential for sure. Definitely interested to see where it goes.

Noragami Aragoto 01

It's more noragami. Love seeing it pick up right where season 1 left off. A lot of setup this episode, but I'm glad they're hitting right on the plot threads last season left hanging. Cannot wait to see more. My only complaint is that the OP isn't as catchy, but it's still a good one.

Now to figure out what else to keep an eye on this season. Definitely giving Lupin a look. Might try out Young Black Jack as well. I've never experienced any Black Jack before, but this looks interesting enough to maybe give a go.

Ahhh gotcha. Well for now, I'm on camp Cavalry. Will keep watching both weekly and update you whether it stays the same. Idk they are both silly and generic as heck, but while Asterisk tries to make itself super serious, Cavalry just has fun. Which ultimately makes the tropes and its "generic-ness" more bearable lol.

Mobile Suit Gundam 01

Child soldiers/slaves that have their bodies modified, blood, war, kids dying, fishy politics. Has Gundam always been this dark? Legit question since this is the first time I watch anything from this series. Definitely made an impact in me. Also on the list.

Yeah, Gundam has always had this messed up side of it.

The original 1979 series is about a 16-year old kid accidentally discovering a giant robot his father made and it turns out he's the only one who can use it properly, and he figures this out when his space colony is attacked by the enemy, so he ends up being forced to participate in a war on a ship with other survivors from the attack. He starts off selfish and arrogant but develops into someone else entirely as he witnesses more of the horrors of war.

This has pretty much been the basis point for "Real-Robot" shows for Sunrise as opposed to the wacky, energetic "Super Robot" shows that was known beforehand.

The original is definitely worth checking out if you want better insight on how Gundam shows typically go. Fortunately, if you're short on time, you can check out the movie trilogy, which covers the entire first series. ;)

Will re-edit, again I know nothing about the series. I was under the impression that it was just one of those shounen-as-fuck series, then I see this.

The only really "Shouneny" Gundams would be G-Gundam and Gundam Build Fighters.

The rest are all about war, politics, space battles, and the like.

One Punch Man 01
So far I'm really liking this. Been holding out on reading the manga, but I've always really liked the concept and I've heard incredible things. Madhouse really killed it with the animation. If the rest of the series is as entertaining as this first episode, I'll definitely be watching this this season.

Also, question for AnimeGAF. I was thinking about picking up that FMA 2003 blu-ray release Funimation recently put out, but I'm hesitant about how much of a leap in quality it is over the DVD's. I mean, it's a mid-2000's digipaint show produced in 4:3. The blu-rays aren't gonna be a huge leap in quality over putting the DVD's in a blu-ray player and upscaling them, right? Or is there something I'm missing?

I never really thought any Gundam was that dark, especially in comparison to something like VOTOMS that has that real nihilistic feel to it.

I think the Gundam (that I've seen) that was the most "dark" per say would be War in the Pocket. It does what other Gundam shows try to do in only 6 episodes and man oh man does it do it perfectly.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's a goofy kind of dark. Technically, people are always dying all over the place, child soldiers, corruption, tyranny, weapons of mass destruction, genocide.

The series just never conveys its themes seriously.

Also, question for AnimeGAF. I was thinking about picking up that FMA 2003 blu-ray release Funimation recently put out, but I'm hesitant about how much of a leap in quality it is over the DVD's. I mean, it's a mid-2000's digipaint show produced in 4:3. The blu-rays aren't gonna be a huge leap in quality over putting the DVD's in a blu-ray player and upscaling them, right? Or is there something I'm missing?

I think the 2015 bd was praised for better sound quality than previous FMA releases.

Haha, no. G Gundam and GBF for sure, but the original Gundam was the one to introduce the concept of "real" robots, unlike the previous popular super robots like Mazinger Z that are more in line with the shonen stuff.

Gundam is a huge, long-running franchise. The various products that are part of it have wildly varying aims and approaches.

Yeah, Gundam has always had this messed up side of it.

The original 1979 series is about a 16-year old kid accidentally discovering a giant robot his father made and it turns out he's the only one who can use it properly, and he figures this out when his space colony is attacked by the enemy, so he ends up being forced to participate in a war on a ship with other survivors from the attack. He starts off selfish and arrogant but develops into someone else entirely as he witnesses more of the horrors of war.

This has pretty much been the basis point for "Real-Robot" shows for Sunrise as opposed to the wacky, energetic "Super Robot" shows that was known beforehand.

The original is definitely worth checking out if you want better insight on how Gundam shows typically go. Fortunately, if you're short on time, you can check out the movie trilogy, which covers the entire first series. ;)

The only really "Shouneny" Gundams would be G-Gundam and Gundam Build Fighters.

The rest are all about war, politics, space battles, and the like.

I like this one actually. The tone is pretty damn dark, and the story seems interesting so far. Not enough to convert me into a Mech fan, since I can't say I cared about those. I'm interested in the characters and the world they live in. Hopefully those will continue to be explored, rather than just giving us mech stuff, which I guess is what everyone but me wants from this show lol...

One Punch Man 01

My sides I can't! This show is good. You guys were right lol. My list is getting waaay too big for my liking. Weekends are bloated as heck, jesus.

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Episode 47

Wow Lua is the one fighting and not Luca? Please dont get absorbed by Demak.

RetributionShipping match is the one Im most looking forward to. I don't remember how Carly's deck is and if she changed anything in it in the games, but it should be a fun match for Jack.

I like this one actually. The tone is pretty damn dark, and the story seems interesting so far. Not enough to convert me into a Mech fan, since I can't say I cared about those. I'm interested in the characters and the world they live in. Hopefully those will continue to be explored, rather than just giving us mech stuff, which I guess is what everyone but me wants from this show lol...

I think you'd be more of a Real Robot fan than a Super Robot fan.

Super Robots (Like TTGL) are those Shouneny, flashy, ones that you're not into (but I love those ones).

Real Robot (Most of the Gundams) focus more on how the robot as a whole works and are more on the serious dark side of things with war, politics and the like, and focus on the world the characters live in.

If you want more of G-Tekketsu's kind of thing, I can recommend these past entries in the franchise:

Mobile Suit Gundam 1979 - I explained what this one's about in the above.

War in the Pocket - This is a short one, being only 6 episodes. But it doesn't waste a second and is by far one of the saddest Gundam shows out there.

Gundam SEED: This is more or less a remake of the original, with different characters and similar plot elements. It's decent enough, but many prefer the original over this. It's also one of the more successful ones in Japan. Like, before Kirito and Asuna, there was Kira and Lacus.

Gundam 00 S1: This one was a fun ride when I first watched it. Basically, a military organization with Gundams show up out of nowhere and start intervening in the modern world's wars, as part of plan that will lead to the end of all conflict somehow. I only recommend Season 1 though, because Season 2 is where things unfortunately go downhill. And its movie is just horrible.

But yeah, if you're more of a fan of the darker stuff as opposed to the Shounen-y stuff when it comes to mecha, I'd say try one of those out if you're curious.

I think you'd be more of a Real Robot fan than a Super Robot fan.

Super Robots (Like TTGL) are those Shouneny, flashy, ones that you're not into (but I love those ones).

Real Robot (Most of the Gundams) focus more on how the robot as a whole works and are more on the serious dark side of things with war, politics and the like, and focus on the world the characters live in.

If you want more of G-Tekketsu's kind of thing, I can recommend these past entries in the franchise:

-The original - I explained what this one's about in the above.

War in the Pocket - This is a short one, being only 6 episodes. But it doesn't waste a second and is by far one of the saddest Gundam shows out there.

Gundam SEED: This is more or less a remake of the original, with different characters and similar plot elements. It's decent enough, but many prefer the original over this. It's also one of the more successful ones in Japan. Like, before Kirito and Asuna, there was Kira and Lacus.

Gundam 00 S1: This one was a fun ride when I first watched it. Basically, a military organization with Gundams show up out of nowhere and start intervening in the modern world's wars, as part of plan that will lead to the end of all conflict somehow. I only recommend Season 1 though, because Season 2 is where things unfortunately go downhill. And its movie is just horrible.

But yeah, if you're more of a fan of the darker stuff as opposed to the Shounen-y stuff when it comes to mecha, I'd say try one of those out if you're curious.

Gonna look into these, thanks, gonna mark them up on MAL. I mean it makes sense, I've seen mech shows before, but the ones I Iiked seemed to be the "real-robot" kind, with a bigger focus on the characters rather than the robots and the fights as well. Evangelion, Gargantia, and to an extent the first season of Aldnoah were all shows that I enjoyed with robots in them, but not because of the robots themselves. Sure they look cool and all that, but the people who piloted them, the scenes when they were off and in the machines, those were why I watched them.

Comet Lucifer 01

Last one for the day. Phew are new seasons tiring. Too much anime. Maybe that's why I wasn't as into this one as the other ones. Kept skipping through the episode and when I noticed I reached the ending and didn't regret it, nor did I feel like going back and watching it properly. Dropping this one.

My list is pretty damn big because of Saturday and Sunday. Still have to wait for The Perfect Insider and that Sakura show to drop. Those are probably gonna get added as well. How I am gonna be able to keep watching these, with school and work? No fucking idea. I'm sure I'll find a way. Plus some of these might get boring in the next few weeks.

Now to figure out what else to keep an eye on this season. Definitely giving Lupin a look. Might try out Young Black Jack as well. I've never experienced any Black Jack before, but this looks interesting enough to maybe give a go.

Young Black Jack is basically a prequel to the original Black Jack by Tezuka. So you really don't need to watch all the previous installments, plus the series as a whole is episodic in nature though I don't really know if that's the case for Young Black Jack.

However I'd recommend the 2004 series and the OVA series (haven't seen it yet) if you want to try more Black Jack.

Squishy3

Symphogear 12

bEvg0V9.png

7klYn4E.png

You answered this question in the last episode.

fcXEsc6.png

I think this chick knows she's in an anime and is keeping it hidden from the rest of the cast because they couldn't handle the shock

"You know, Finé, we really are the Symphogear" Looking forward to the last episode of this season and then I'm probably going to watch something else before jumping into the next one.

Narag

Lupin III: The Mystery of Mamo

Recent Lupin characterization talk finally convinced me to get around to this one again after so long. I've a strange relationship with this as my first real Lupin experience was Castle of Cagliostro where Lupin's this mellow gentleman-thief doing what's ultimately right and saving the day.I checked out this afterwards as I was hungry for more of that and, well, things didn't go well.

At the time I found the characters far more mean & crude than what I encountered in Cagliostro and that put me off to the point at which I never recovered. I watched it later and started to like it more but I think after watching other Lupin stuff since, I've come around on this one. Crude is ultimately something of a bad way describe them as they were actually more emotive than anything else. Jigen and Goemon have some very legitimate issues with Lupin and it appropriately blows up to the point everyone goes their separate ways. It's actually almost sort of refreshing to see this sort of thing as Lupin makes some really questionable decisions in this in order to assuage his curiosity and damaged pride rather than cutting his losses at a time when no one would have blamed him.

That said, the crude label still applies to Lupin himself who comes across as more lecherous than I'm used to, at one point taking an axe to get through a door to a nearly naked Fujiko. There's also the visualization of his subconscious which was just breasts, Zenigata, and some candy as well as the note the movie goes out on with the missile launch which, admittedly, was kinda funny. I suppose that between this, his mouthing off when facing Mamo, and his general impulsiveness, he feels much younger than his Cagliostro counterpart which makes sense.

Otherwise, it's this really fun mix of humor and setpiece action that's befitting of the franchise. It's pretty great and takes advantage of its runtime with very little of anything wasted. Mechanical animation and details are on point throughout and Mamo himself is engaging given his character and how he's constantly two steps ahead of Lupin. I'm glad I made some time for this one again after so long.

Lupin III Part 2 - 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x70o5lTd1U

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 1
huh, the PV and character designs belied the tone of the show for me. Cautiously hyped because that was a great first ep to get things going.

One Punch Man 1
I mean, scrubbing the nico preview probably didn't do me any favors but yeah, if this was any longer than 12 eps, I'd probably just watch it on sakugabooru.

ibyea

Banned
Hmm, the first impression of Okada Gundam I am reading doesn't seem bad. It would be cool if Okada Gundam actually turned out to be good. It all depends on whether her madness is restrained i guess.

Narag

Hmm, the first impression of Okada Gundam I am reading doesn't seem bad. It would be cool if Okada Gundam actually turned out to be good. It all depends on whether her madness is restrained i guess.

Okada-good is a victory for some of us but a legit good series? A win for everyone but Enron because he's a filthy unbeliever.

Monogatari Second Season 20

Well that rather nice moment between Araragi and Hachikuji was ruined by them kissing. Fucking Nisio. Ononoki holding her up was funny though. Ougi, though - I have a feeling that it's a dupe and a mislead that she is being portrayed as the one fucking everything up.

Considering this is told not in the order things happen I was pretty sure I had the order down...until Gaen said the stuff about Kanbaru. Now I'm lost again but I'm pretty sure it's -

hachikuji -> shinobu -> kanbaru -> hanekawa -> nadeko -> senjougahara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom