• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
whats in the basement

We're, assuming nothing happens, about to find out in a couple chapters.

Anyway, second season of Attack on Titan should be good.

Expands the world out a bit. I know some people didn't like the turn the story takes, but it also gives us some good character development that was lacking a bit in season 1.

the problem with the
coup
arc is that it could have been way later in the story and about half as long, as it stands it's just a big chunk blocking the actual interesting parts and the stuff people care about

Well, maybe not all people since Levi is so prominent in it, though Levi is a far better mc then eren anyway

Narag

Maybe they could actually adapt it better and fix some of the pacing problems? barring no dumb production issues again.

the problem with the
coup
arc is that it could have been way later in the story and about half as long, as it stands it's just a big chunk blocking the actual interesting parts and the stuff people care about

Well, maybe not all people since Levi is so prominent in it, though Levi is a far better mc then eren anyway

The biggest problem is when you introduce what you did RIGHT before, and you're all "oh shit finally
Eren got interesting
" and then lol nope let's focus on something else.

Crocodile

That isn't even a modern thing, Spider-Man was huge for kickstarting a bunch of toku stuff lol

But I would say My Hero Academia is closer to western cape comics then to Japanese tokusatsu, when OPM is kind of in between.

Sure, I'm certainly aware there was even a Japanese version of Spiderman (see GIF below) and stuff like X-men have made their way to Japan before and been big players, etc. I just feel, and I'm clearly not alone, that there has been a recent upswing and I just saying I think we all know why :p

Kind of amusing to me as I came to anime as a way to escape superheroes.

Anime/Manga is a business. Makes no sense to ignore worldwide trends :p

yami4ct

Maybe they could actually adapt it better and fix some of the pacing problems? barring no dumb production issues again.

The pacing problems are built into the story. I doubt they can fix much of it while still having enough content to adapt the manga to the length they want. It's especially true if Season 1 is any indication. They want to squeeze as much screen time out of each boring chapter as possible.

Amanchu anime coming in 2016, directed by Junichi Sato (Aria) and Kenichi Kasai (Aoi Hana).

Full Info:
Amanchu
Summer 2016

Original Work: Kozue Amano
Chief Director: Junichi Sato
Director: Kenichi Kasai
Scripts: Deko Akao
Animation Character Design: Ikuko Ito
Animation Production: J.C. Staff

Don't know what this isbut it looks good? EDIT: After looking it up, I saw that it is Yuri. Of course lol.

It is the return we have all been waiting for!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1120350

I will watch it, but the manga got reaaaaal slow. Wonder if they are gonna spice things up here and there or straight up adapt the manga the way it is.

Kvik

Young Black Jack #1

Young Black Jack is the best air-surgeon around! Also, there's no blood on the operating table, and the surgical gown was practically spotless after hours of surgery.

Kidding aside, the doctor's haircut is practically a Tezuka staple.

Don't know what this isbut it looks good? EDIT: After looking it up, I saw that it is Yuri. Of course lol.

EJqd1ct.jpg

Doesn't look like it's yuri, at least not explicitly so. Probably has the average amount of yuri undertones people can find in any slice-of-life series centered on female characters.

Doesn't look like it's yuri, at least not explicitly so. Probably has the average amount of yuri undertones people can find in any slice-of-life series centered on female characters.

Amanchu (Manga) Synopsis
Hikari Kohinata is a cheerful 15-year-old girl who lives near the ocean and she spends much of her time diving as a result. On her first day of high school, she meets a teacher who also likes scuba diving. There's also a 16-year-old classmate, Futaba, who gets dragged along in Hikari's maelstrom as soon as they meet at school. Most of the manga so far details the relationship between the two girls, which quickly seems to move into romantic two girl friendship-territory.

You can't deflate my hype.

Attack on Titan S1 was the best anime since Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

FMAB finished in 2010.

Since then we've had Madoka, Hyouka, Gundam Build Fighters, Jojo, and a bunch of others people could argue are better than Attack on Titan.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
OMG ASDFLKLAKSDFJLASDKF:ASMDVA:LSdkfA:LSDKFAS:DKLFASD:Fjasdkl;fjals;kdfjasdf

http://amanchu-anime.com/

It's happening!!!!!!!!!

Id recommend Hajime no Ippo then. It does a great job of building up every fight and making you care for the characters(even the opponents).
Jex actually recommended that other boxing one... something something Joe, because it apparently has a depressing nihilistic ending. lol
I don't think either is readily available anyway though... and hell, I made an honest effort to try to get through Slam Dunk but I just got bored half a dozen episodes in.

I think the success of Ping Pong comes from showing us two things in particular that makes it appealing to people who don't typically like sport anime.

It shows us who the the people are outside of the sports. A lot of the main characters care about the ping pong, but it explores why they care about, what drives them to care about it beyond the sport. What are they like as people? What drove their character before the sport? There are individuals out there who devote literally everything to a sport, and that's fine, but Ping Pong gave us more insight into the characters outside the sport. There are characters in Ping Pong who almost don't care about the sport. That's kinda rarely seen in a sports anime.The sports still plays an important point in the story, but it's not the only point. The characters drive the drama before the sport does.

Ping Pong was also one of the few sports anime that challenged the notion that winning is the most important thing. There's nothing inherently wrong with stories about winning and overcoming challenges, but when that's the main focus of a sport story, the longer it goes on, the more it kinda grinds down. I reach a point in Ippo where I'm just like, why isn't Ippo the best already? He seems like he should be the best by now.
Yeah, this is my problem with pretty much all sports shows. The only ones I've liked that are "traditional" are ones that feature strong female characters, because there is usually something more going on that at least makes it more than "I WANNA BE THE BEST THE BEST THERE EVER WAS (POKEMON)" arc that pretty much most shounen sports shows go through.

It's why I can at least say that as stupid as RKB was, at least the whole "feminist" angle of girls can play sports too! made it different.

I'll admit, I skipped Friday Night Lights because I assumed it was just a boring show about high school football, and who cares about football let alone high school football... but it's literally anything but football. Football is just the excuse to talk about issues of class, race, and the annihilating depression of living in small town Texas.

I would argue dumb sport action is still better than something like Chihayafuru with all the "that Memory card game changed my life" monologues that every random opponent gets.
I feel like that stuff appears in all the dumb shounen sports things. At least from what I saw of Baby Steps, Haikyuu, Knight in the Area, and whatever else I watched.

It's as yuri as Euphonium, so not really unless you just like mashing girls together for whatever reason.

JulianImp

Tonight's Random CR Anime dinnertime must've been channeling cornbread, because we got to watch I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job. Basically, the show was all about jiggling breasts and little else since the very first scene. The ED song even played as the whole episode was being rewound at high speed, so you get to see twice the gainaxing!

I'd almost suggest this for our Let's Watch as a trashy ecchi show that's so bad it's bad. The premise of a group of generic RPG heroes having nothing heroic left to do once the Demon King is defeated was interesting, but the setting appears to be there just to pretend the show's a bit more serious. There's even a scene of some old guy who goes and flips a working girls skirt to look at her panties, and then the MC states that he regularily does that but always buys a lightbulb, so the cast says it can't be helped.

Seriously. What did we just watch.

...On unrelated news, I checked out CR's simulcasts page and decided to view Young Jack Black EP1, which I thought was okay, Hackadoll EP1, which was really crappy, Hakone EP1, which was equally stupid, and part of Symphogear S1E1, which had a tone I wasn't expecting at all, but I'll probably continue watching because it looked somewhat interesting.

Squishy3

Symphogear 13, end of S1

Yup, that was pretty damn good. Now to take a break and watch something else in between this and S2.

Also, send help, I've fallen into the Sakugabooru hole

javac

The new Gundam (G-Tekketsu) is 25 episodes long according to the Blu-ray listings. g-tekketsu.com
Volume 1 comes with one episode, the rest (Vol 2 to Vol 9) come with 3 episodes each. Volume 1 also comes with a code for Mobile Suit Gundam EXTREME VS-FORCE for the PS Vita.

第2巻以降は各3話収録
Blu-ray 7,800円+税/DVD 5,800円+税:全9巻(予定)

Vol 1: ¥ 4,104 @ Amazon.jp Out December 24th.

yami4ct

The new Gundam (G-Tekketsu) is 25 episodes long according to the Blu-ray listings. g-tekketsu.com
Volume 1 comes with one episode, the rest (Vol 2 to Vol 9) come with 3 episodes each. Volume 1 also comes with a code for Mobile Suit Gundam EXTREME VS-FORCE for the PS Vita.

Most likely means it's a split cour series like most Gundams. Given how much Bandai is putting behind it, no way it's not 50 episodes.

I still maintain Attack on Titan got popular because of the awesome first OP and all the parodies. The first few episodes are a really good hook though.

Good find. So I guess from my list so far this, Utawarerumono and Asterisk (to a certain extent since it has a season break) all have 2-cours.

yami4ct

I still maintain Attack on Titan got popular because of the awesome first OP and all the parodies. The first few episodes are a really good hook though.

I think premise goes a long way into making a series popular. The AoT premise is so good. It's too bad none of that pays off.

Squishy3

I think premise goes a long way into making a series popular. The AoT premise is so good. It's too bad none of that pays off.
Imagine if AoT just became a closed-wall mystery of who is and isn't a Titan, like how everyone loved Rokka for the mystery aspect

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'll tell you in 2 months.

Hopefully.
I'm sure it will be the most important revelation of our time!

But we must answer 10 other questions that have less priority and way less people care about first.
WHAT DO THE NUMBERS MEAN? WHY IS THERE A POLAR BEAR????

---

Man, the Amanchu site is barebones. Or it's broken and I can't click anything. Anyway:
US73MWXl.png
pUszsqil.png

I'm going to assume those are the designs they are using.

yami4ct

Imagine if AoT just became a closed-wall mystery of who is and isn't a Titan, like how everyone loved Rokka for the mystery aspect

That sounds great. I also would've liked to have seen the series just be about humanity's insurmountable battle for survival against a never-ending group of foes. Just keep telling stories in that vein and never really even answer the question of what the titans are.

I wonder if Young Black Jack will be able to get a second season. I mean so far it has about 10 vols released. It would definitely be enough for another season.

I'd greatly appreciate more Black Jack that's for sure.

That's just because Kubo is a complete hack

It's not that he's a complete hack, it's just that he doesn't give a fuck about writing Bleach anymore.

God, I can't believe Bleach still hasn't ended.

Oddly enough, I do wish the anime series would continue though.

I know, it's weird.

yami4ct

God, I can't believe Bleach still hasn't ended.

Oddly enough, I do wish the anime series would continue though.

I know, it's weird.

The anime will certainly come back when the manga finally wraps up. It'll have more than enough to support another run. Ending when they did and not destroying the pace even more using filler is truly the best case. Assuming they adapt it well, the revival anime could actually be pretty fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom