• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
0644dYp.png
New releases for 10/06/15.
Forgot that Tamayura was DVD only. I want to buy it to support it, but I know I'll never open the package since I'd watch HD versions of the show if I was going to watch it again, so it's literally throwing money away. Ah Nozomi, you make it so hard.

Go_Ly_Dow

This season seems promising.

Currently checking out -

-Monogatari
-One Man Punch
-Osomatsu

Reading mixed opinions on - (so will keep an eye)

-Comet Lucifer
-Concrete Revolution

Haikyuu!! seems to have a strong following. I haven't watched season 1 but might jump on if the impressions remain positive.

eh, it gets less and less realistic the further they go

Really? It isn't like they do special attacks or any shit like that, it's still doing receiving, doing passes, strikes, etc. Just better than before.

Maybe the unrealistic part comes from having at the end a super high level of play for what in the end are high school volleyball teams.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Really? It isn't like they do special attacks or any shit like that, it's still doing receiving, doing passes, strikes, etc. Just better than before.

Maybe the unrealistic part comes from having at the end a super high level of play for what in the end are high school volleyball teams.

"here's our new ULTIMATE ATTACK, SUPER QUICK"

"NANI? THEY HAVE MASTERED THE SUPER QUICK AT SUCH A YOUNG AGE? LET US SHOW THEM THE TRUE POWER OF OUR TRIPLE IRON WALL"

"BEHOLD, MY POWERS OF COGNITION ALLOW ME TO SET THE BALL BEFORE MY STRIKER IS EVEN AWARE HE WILL HIT IT, BUT EVERYONE ELSE WE FACE CAN DO IT TOO"

etc

etc

i still love the show, but it's definitely losing its already tenuous grasp on reality

but still more grounded than many other sports manga/anime

SephLuis

But hinata never received much formal training or practice, Yams too. Actually did Tsukki play much either. Also it makes it sound like Karasuno didnt have many people to even practice against before this year.

Even if they didn't had formal training, I would expect them to be a little better than what was shown.

Hinata trained a little with the girls team and I would think this would be only of the first lessons.

But when they started explaining how to receive, knee position, stance, everything else was spot on.

It's really not like E7. Xam'd seems to be closer and even then I'm not sure.

OMG. OMG. OMG. I LOVE XAMD. NEED TO SEE THIS POST-HASTE.

Watches Episode.....

Nah. Not even close. Xamd was serious and grounded, everything had meaning and nuance. Comet Lucifer is just like every other anime, the characters are cardboard cutouts and their interactions are not anything that can be recognized as being humanlike.

Xamd's first episode has a suicide attack leaving the main character disfigured, separated from his family and almost killed. We get entire sections of the show dedicated to the aftermath of this one day. This episode has 2 characters involved in an incident that should've killed them (if they were actually representations of humans) with barely any emotional reaction or panic from the other people involved.

Xamd gave us real family dynamics with their complications and internal struggles. This episode of Comet Lucifer had a shallow "arranged marriage" trope thrown in without any consideration, analysis or power. We are talking about marriage but it is treated like an offhand joke and not a serious factor that can cause sever family strife if she runs away from it. So the audience doesn't even believe for a second that it will happen because it is treated so lightly, and it just becomes a way to throw another girl onto our generic main lead.

P.S Anime CGI is shit.

Osomatsu-san 1

I was already giggling throughout the
idol and special school for special people
parody but when it reached the
Attack on Titan wall
I fucking lost it. This is Gintama levels of hilarious. Want more.

But like Gintama is a lot of the time, at least this episode, at lot of the humor comes from references and making fun of the industry so it isn't super welcoming to people who aren't really into anime. Probably.

Does Eyeshield 21 get crazier than Prince of Tennis?

All I know about Prince of Tennis' craziness is that "What I expected, what I got" image with Goku in it but Eyeshield has the typical shonen sports aura, except they are halfway to stands and the auras are dinosaurs and shit

Argevollen is getting a 2nd season? 24 episodes is already way too many.

I think so. May be some movies instead, though.

P.S Anime CGI is shit.

Having not seen the full episode of Comet Lucifer itself I can't speak to the rest of your post, but this statement is nonsense. From what I have seen, Orange is doing an excellent job with the CG in Comet Lucifer, as they normally do. This scene has very strong direction and animation that conveys a real sense of the power and weight behind these mecha and makes for thrilling action. It's better than a lot of 2D mecha action! CG in anime has traditionally been problematic, so I can understand the general concern, and I certainly wouldn't want to give up 2D animation entirely, but there's no reason to disparage the good work being done by Orange here and in Akito, Gooneys in Show by Rock, or Toei in Precure. When you have that level of CG, I can get behind it.

All I know about Prince of Tennis' craziness is that "What I expected, what I got" image with Goku in it but Eyeshield has the typical shonen sports aura, except they are halfway to stands and the auras are dinosaurs and shit

Prince of Tennis has dinosaurs as well, so I guess they're roughly equal.

Tuck

Concrete Revolutio - 1
Actually really, really liked this. The art style is really endearing. The plot was kind of confusing but it left me wanting more, to see where they go with the things still left hanging. Decent action too. Shame about the few fan-serviced scenes.

Watches Episode.....

Nah. Not even close. Xamd was serious and grounded, everything had meaning and nuance. Comet Lucifer is just like every other anime, the characters are cardboard cutouts and their interactions are not anything that can be recognized as being humanlike.

Xamd's first episode has a suicide attack leaving the main character disfigured, separated from his family and almost killed. We get entire sections of the show dedicated to the aftermath of this one day. Xamd gave us real family dynamics with their complications and internal struggles.

X'amd was also super f-ing boring.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Mine:
I don't really like Akko but it's a good frame so I can't complain.

(Don't remember which scene it was though.)

Quasar

Forgot that Tamayura was DVD only. I want to buy it to support it, but I know I'll never open the package since I'd watch HD versions of the show if I was going to watch it again, so it's literally throwing money away. Ah Nozomi, you make it so hard.

Yeah. Pisses me right off. Its one of the few anime I'd buy on disc and then they go and make it SD only. Its like Chihayafuru, we have a local release but its SD. Fuck that.

Having not seen the full episode of Comet Lucifer itself I can't speak to the rest of your post, but this statement is nonsense. From what I have seen, Orange is doing an excellent job with the CG in Comet Lucifer, as they normally do. This scene has very strong direction and animation that conveys a real sense of the power and weight behind these mecha and makes for thrilling action. It's better than a lot of 2D mecha action! CG in anime has traditionally been problematic, so I can understand the general concern, and I certainly wouldn't want to give up 2D animation entirely, but there's no reason to disparage the good work being done by Orange here and in Akito, Gooneys in Show by Rock, or Toei in Precure. When you have that level of CG, I can get behind it.

It's really neat seeing Orange's CG improve with every series they work on. I enjoyed what they did for Majestic Prince, but seeing their later work on this and Fafner Exodus just completely blows that out of the water.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What'd you get?

I don't know how I'm going to store this thing without ruining it, just going to leave it in a cabinet atop the rest of my artbooks I guess.

Watches Episode.....

Xamd's first episode has a suicide attack leaving the main character disfigured, separated from his family and almost killed. We get entire sections of the show dedicated to the aftermath of this one day. This episode has 2 characters involved in an incident that should've killed them (if they were actually representations of humans) with barely any emotional reaction or panic from the other people involved.

Xamd gave us real family dynamics with their complications and internal struggles. This episode of Comet Lucifer had a shallow "arranged marriage" trope thrown in without any consideration, analysis or power. We are talking about marriage but it is treated like an offhand joke and not a serious factor that can cause sever family strife if she runs away from it. So the audience doesn't even believe for a second that it will happen because it is treated so lightly, and it just becomes a way to throw another girl onto our generic main lead.

P.S Anime CGI is shit.

First: I think the CG in Comet Lucifer was actually pretty decent.

Second: Yeah you could argue that Comet Lucifer's characters weren't exactly super "humanlike", but I can make the argument that they're at least pleasant to watch. Their personalities could be worse. These aren't the kind of typical harem anime characters here.

It's clear that Comet Lucifer isn't exactly trying to be that kind of serious story you expected (Not that I can blame you, I go into some shows on the basis that they're like other shows I like and I end up comparing them to that too). But not every anime has to spend so much time in its first episode with long super serious exposition, and its the ones that do that mostly end up having a less-than-desirable first episode. See: Fate/Zero and walking in circles.

Comet Lucifer so far knows what its trying to be, and what it's trying to be is a fun little adventure mecha story.

I don't expect Comet Lucifer to reach the heights of Eureka Seven or TTGL. What I expect it to do at least, is be above average. I was promised fun and adventure without having to worry about the limitations of LN adaptations or harems. Will there be fanservice? Maybe. But it's clear from the first episode that the show isn't trying to sell itself on that so even if that stuff does show up later it's not gonna be a huge problem. A fun, likeable, adventure mecha story is all I ask.

I loved the first episode because the characters weren't obnoxious, the mecha action was decent for being CG, and it set the basis for how things start in this show nicely for me.

javac

I don't play the best girl/worst girl game, but everyone is in agreement that Lotte is indeed the best character, right?

Sterok

Yuru Yuri S3 1

I don't get the complaints about the new season. Feels about the same as the old stuff. The King's Game is dangerous. Especially with someone like Chinatsu around. You'd think Kyoko would be stronger from all that drawing she does. It still sucks to be Akarin.

Tuck

Comet Lucifer - 1
Of the five shows I've watched the past few days to kick off the season, this was probably the weakest (and worst looking), but it was still pretty enjoyable. I doubt it will be anything unique, but it could still be fun. The CG was not bad at all - the models themselves were actually quite good. Its just when they move you get that weird CG smoothness that makes it standout.

5 new shows, plus Ushio to Tora from last season. Hope they all keep up their promising starts.

First: I think the CG in Comet Lucifer was actually pretty decent.

Second: Yeah you could argue that Comet Lucifer's characters weren't exactly super "humanlike", but I can make the argument that they're at least pleasant to watch. Their personalities could be worse. These aren't the kind of typical harem anime characters here.

It's clear that Comet Lucifer isn't exactly trying to be that kind of serious story you expected (Not that I can blame you, I go into some shows on the basis that they're like other shows I like and I end up comparing them to that too). But not every anime has to spend so much time in its first episode with long super serious exposition, and its the ones that do that mostly end up having a less-than-desirable first episode. See: Fate/Zero and walking in circles.

Comet Lucifer so far knows what its trying to be, and what it's trying to be is a fun little adventure mecha story.

I don't expect Comet Lucifer to reach the heights of Eureka Seven or TTGL. What I expect it to do at least, is be above average. I was promised fun and adventure without having to worry about the limitations of LN adaptations or harems. Will there be fanservice? Maybe. But it's clear from the first episode that the show isn't trying to sell itself on that so even if that stuff does show up later it's not gonna be a huge problem. A fun, likeable, adventure mecha story is all I ask.

I loved the first episode because the characters weren't obnoxious, the mecha action was decent for being CG, and it set the basis for how things start in this show nicely for me.

Thats the spirit! Agreed with everything you just said. Though tbh I didn't know it was a mecha show until the mechs showed up lol. Same with Concrete Revolutio, though that seems to be a mix of things.

Shouta

So new stuff

Gakusen Toshi Asterisk - Too much fantasybabble and the characters fit pretty squarely into the current demographic's tastes. However, the setting is fine and the fights were pretty good in the first episode. I'll watch a few more for fights and crazy powers. Hopefully it doesn't get too much worse.

Heavy Object - Interesting concept, painful characters, situations and writing. WRY. Might watch one or two more to see if they can do anything with it but I'm not optimistic.

Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - Very good aside from abrupt start.

Mailbox

Yuru Yuri 3- episode 1

Ok, so first things first, the colouring has gone through a MAJOR downgrade. Every colour is now depressingly more grey and blehhhhh/ HATE IT!

And i'm not sure if this is a crunchy issue or not (i'll assume not) but why is the audio so canned? Nothing sounds crisp or even recorded properly.
Either the equipment they used was crap, their sound editing is crap, or the encoding sent to crunchy is crap.

:/

Welp, I've still seen worse...

John Blade

Man...my watching anime is slowing down quite a bit because of work and now Dolphin emulator as I got few stuff working now and turning my small desktop as a emulation system. Man....need time to finish watching the anime I need to finish here.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah. Pisses me right off. Its one of the few anime I'd buy on disc and then they go and make it SD only. Its like Chihayafuru, we have a local release but its SD. Fuck that.
I really hope their Utena thing sells well so they just upgrade everything else to Bluray.
It's 2015 and I'm sorry if Bluray is more expensive but I'm not buying the equivalent of VHS tapes anymore when everything is available for streaming, or in the case of Tamayura, available on "alternate sources" since no one licensed it here. Hell, I'd rather buy from Japan if I *have* to own it (like the new Aria sets).

(What's fucked is that I'm sure Nozomi will get Amanchu, because why would Funimation or Sentai get it? And that's going to be DVD too I'm sure).

Mailbox

I really hope their Utena thing sells well so they just upgrade everything else to Bluray.
It's 2015 and I'm sorry if Bluray is more expensive but I'm not buying the equivalent of VHS tapes anymore when everything is available for streaming, or in the case of Tamayura, available on "alternate sources" since no one licensed it here. Hell, I'd rather buy from Japan if I *have* to own it (like the new Aria sets).

(What's fucked is that I'm sure Nozomi will get Amanchu, because why would Funimation or Sentai get it? And that's going to be DVD too I'm sure).

Now you guys know my pain for Kawaisou.

Stuff release just the last couple of years should not have DVD only releases.
The only dvd anime i bought was Mushishi, which also shouldn't have been DVD only.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Shoku king motion comic
Kitchen nightmare before it was cool. About traveling cooking consultant who help restaurant owner that about to go bankrupt.

Wakako zake end
Pshuuuususususu.
The perfect anime to see sawashiro commentibg on bear and snack she eat during the whole series

This doesn't apply to modern shows being produced in higher resolutions, but there are cases where a BD upscale actually looks worse than the DVD version (Haibane Renmei...).

Mailbox

This doesn't apply to modern shows being produced in higher resolutions, but there are cases where a BD upscale actually looks worse than the DVD version (Haibane Renmei...).

except that mushishi has a BD release in Japan, and streaming is 720p.

Streaming is a better option to watch it than the dvd.

So is kawaisou.... fuck.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom