• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Osumatsu-san 01
1lIHfMM.jpg
I'm surprised more than one or two people here would actually like this. Seemed like there was a pretty heavy call to be familiar with the source material in addition to what I assume is some basic older Japanese cultural touchstones.

Beyond that this one off intro felt like its own outdated take on wacky references, with the resulting train wreck of perceived tropes not cacophonous enough to feel as wild or outrageous as this show seems to think it is. It didn't feel like the perspective of the past was being used to analyze, criticize, or even commentate on what anime has become. All that's really here is a bunch of cheap surface level visual gags.

Hopefully once this show settles into its own format next week it can present its own character and wit, but this was a pretty dismal opener of barely passable parody.

Defuser

Osomatsu-san ep1
Holy shit, all those parodies and the effort to have a parody of a Sawano song.
That is one hell of gag just for a whole episode. This is Gintama in disguise.

Rainy

Banned
Working!!! 11-13 END

Well not sure if I can call this a conclusion considering we still have the one hour special to go but I really loved this season. Wrapped most of the plot points up and was still really funny. Also the ED was so great.

Articalys

Finally got around to watching that Mushishi special for the last story arc. For a series as episodic as Mushishi is, it was a fitting enough way to end the series.
And now I'm sad it's over.

Mailbox

oh my god.
the origin of black jack's face scar is even more bull shit than that kid and the train in young black jack.

definitely had better pacing than young black jack did though, and with 3 patients to boot.

fun.

Monogatari Second Season 26 (Hitagi) END

Speech level - 100. I take it back, the portrayal of Ougi isn't misleading, she really is just that full of malice. That ending was really, really great... if it sticks.

Overall, that was very good. The longer arcs allowed for better character moments and more chances for development. I think I said most of my peace in my huge post last night, but the Hitagi End arc in particular was extremely strong. I suppose Bake was still better directed and such, but which one is preferred likely comes down to personal taste.

I'm surprised more than one or two people here would actually like this. Seemed like there was a pretty heavy call to be familiar with the source material in addition to what I assume is some basic older Japanese cultural touchstones.

I had never even heard of the series until this show and I understood just fine, I don't think you really need much of a callback when the premise is that a 60s show is returning and needs to modernize. The Showa era stuff will be a hurdle, though. This type of show is never going to be popular over here to begin with, much like Gintama.

Yeah you don't need to understand the references to the old show itself to get the joke of modernizing an old timey show. It's an easy target to attack idol and 'special school' shows and then base the whole episode off parodies and tropes, but it was still amusing.

I don't hold anime comedy to the same standards as western.

oh my god.
the origin of black jack's face scar is even more bull shit than that kid and the train in young black jack.

definitely had better pacing than young black jack did though, and with 3 patients to boot.

fun.

Don't try to take some of the things too seriously because it can get over the top, but that's like one of the main appeal of the series. Plus seeing how Black Jack overcomes every challenge is entertaining in its own right.

I hope you enjoy watching the series because it's one of my favorites.

Mailbox

Don't try to take some of the things too seriously because it can get over the top, but that's like one of the main appeal of the series. Plus seeing how Black Jack overcomes every challenge is entertaining in its own right.

I hope you enjoy watching the series because it's one of my favorites.

It was a fucking bomb, on a beach, barely covered by sand, and he and his mother were just there. No one else around.

WTF. Why were they there? wh.... why was there a bomb?

Phatmac

Comedy in Japanese shows are probably not as funny due to jokes for Japanese people being lost in translation for foreigners. Gintama relies on crude jokes and references from other anime plus the characters themselves already have established jokes early on.

It was a fucking bomb, on a beach, barely covered by sand, and he and his mother were just there. No one else around.

Young Black Jack takes place in the 60s (IIRC). Remember as a kid, that was over 10 years ago for Hazama, which isn't that far off from when WWII ended. The fact that there could be undetonated bombs on the beach is very possible.

In any case, I'm glad somebody's watching the 2004 TV series. It's an underrated show that really doesn't get a lot of attention.

Comedy in Japanese shows are probably not as funny due to jokes for Japanese people being lost in translation for foreigners. Gintama relies on crude jokes and references from other anime plus the characters themselves already have established jokes early on.

I feel that's only true with certain series like Hoozuki no Reitetsu due to the heavy mythological basis and Monogatari/Medaka Box because Nisio's ridiculous kanji based jokes, especially in that one fight in Medaka Box where someone fights using Kanji. Gintama is at times on that level, though.

Gintama heavily relied on japanese media humor that foreigners wouldn't get early on, but the more they established the characters the more they could just do self-referential and callback humor alongside anime parodies.

Osumatsu-san 1

Yep, this is Gintama.

Where the hell do we go from here, though? The failed "modern" art style shifting mashup is out of the way now, so is it just going to be wacky slice of life from now on?

Like Narag and Nintendoman explained, its because of the time period which makes sense.

Phatmac

I feel that's only true with certain series like Hoozuki no Reitetsu due to the heavy mythological basis and Monogatari/Medaka Box because Nisio's ridiculous kanji based jokes, especially in that one fight in Medaka Box where someone fights using Kanji. Gintama is at times on that level, though.
Gintama is probably my overall funniest anime with the highs it accomplishes by effectively breaking the fourth wall yet still being treated seriously. Shinpachi grates on me at times but Gintoki is such an amazing character that he can make nearly every scene funny. Monogatari is the king at pun based names though.

Gintama is probably my overall funniest anime with the highs it accomplishes by effectively breaking the fourth wall yet still being treated seriously. Shinpachi grates on me at times but Gintoki is such an amazing character that he can make nearly every scene funny. Monogatari is the king at pun based names though.

Well, language based jokes are going to go over most foreign audiences heads no matter where its from and what you speak. Can't much help that.

Oh, that makes more sense. Well, Sanzigen is one of the weakest CG studios out there, so can't expect much from any of their productions.

Sanzigen have better CG in non-mecha.
Seeing how lame is Orange doing in Kancolle and Rokka.

And Sanzigen's boss is pretty clever in business, so you can expect they keep involve more and more shows.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Osomatsu-san 1
Holy shit, truly the work of Gintama director. Parody and 4th breaking joke in full speed!
It seem the show going to start properly next week...maybe?

Mailbox

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unexploded_ordnance#Japan ?

Haven't seen it but guessing given the time period.

Young Black Jack takes place in the 60s (IIRC). Remember as a kid, that was over 10 years ago for Hazama, which isn't that far off from when WWII ended. The fact that there could be undetonated bombs on the beach is very possible.

In any case, I'm glad somebody's watching the 2004 TV series. It's an underrated show that really doesn't get a lot of attention.

Like Narag and Nintendoman explained, its because of the time period which makes sense.

shows what i know about history.

Noragami Aragoto 1

Definitely need to rewatch the first season again, forgot most of the main plot points. Good to see this show back however. Awesome OP and ED too.

Noragami Aragoto 1

Definitely need to rewatch the first season again, forgot most of the main plot points. Good to see this show back however. Awesome OP and ED too.

The transition between seasons is actually really jarring because the first one ended with anime original material that the second season is trying to pretend never happened.

Phatmac

Noragami Aragoto 1

Yato needs money Yukine is a shit kid and some original anime villian that dresses like Gintoki fights Yato.

The transition between seasons is actually really jarring because the first one ended with anime original material that the second season is trying to pretend never happened.

Yeah I remember feeling like that anime-only arc could have been decent if they fleshed it out more.

Yato needs money Yukine is a shit kid and some original anime villian that dresses like Gintoki fights Yato.

lol Fair enough. What was Yato's relationship with Bishamon again? I remember vaguely that
he killed her worshippers but it wasn't actually Yato
or something like that? The OVA
made it seem like Bishamon forgave him
but I guess thats complete filler that this season will ignore?

Is that grey haired dude from the end of the episode Bishamon's lion?

TUSR

Banned
Gintama heavily relied on japanese media humor that foreigners wouldn't get early on, but the more they established the characters the more they could just do self-referential and callback humor alongside anime parodies.

luckily the version up on CR has translator notes so i can figure what the hell some jokes mean

lol Fair enough. What was Yato's relationship with Bishamon again? I remember vaguely that
he killed her worshippers but it wasn't actually Yato
or something like that? The OVA
made it seem like Bishamon forgave him
but I guess thats complete filler that this season will ignore?

Is that grey haired dude from the end of the episode Bishamon's lion?

The OVA should be disregarded.

Bishamon lion is eyepatch guy. Grey haired dude is the medic, new character.

Defuser

To make it worst, the OVA 2 that came with the first season BD sales takes place immediately right after Aragoto.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I had never even heard of the series until this show and I understood just fine, I don't think you really need much of a callback when the premise is that a 60s show is returning and needs to modernize. The Showa era stuff will be a hurdle, though. This type of show is never going to be popular over here to begin with, much like Gintama.
Hmm. What does it truly mean to understand? The basic concept is simple enough and explains itself. An old anime series returns and attempts to modernize itself. How can someone unfamiliar with the series past properly interpret what the transition of these characters from their past selves to their parody form means? At best a familiarity with modern anime culture reveals what "new" ideas are being aped, but a heavy layer exists here of seeing these characters come back to begin with.
When all that's important is skimming the words and walking away with a small episode synopsis the modern anime fan might think they understand. How can something like the above frame really illicit a similar response and interpretation between someone entrenched in their own TV culture's past and the modern anime onlooker? The entire episode's only appeal to outsiders is its cursory references, but it's clear that the entire episode is based around how out of place these reinterpretations of the characters become. That is the escalating joke and narrative. At best you understand half, and the half you understand is modern culture reference fluff.
So when the unfamiliar and still uninitiated nod their heads along and mutter about Osomatsu-san being their show of the year/season/etc. I cannot help but interpret them as impostors.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Oh by the by the ED for Osomatsu-san is called Only Six Faces, this series, it likes its jokes multifaceted.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Overlord Episodes 1-13
Now everyday I hope there will be a season 2 is suffering.

I heard about this anime sometime ago and before I had the details I was thinking "the video game? Its a anime now?" but hearing the concept it got me interested, but I didn't really have time plus had stuff on my schedule, but it came to mind or somebody mentioned it again and i took notice, who knows, anyways im glad i did cause I enjoyed it all the way through, theres something about having the player created NPCs come to life as a concept that I enjoy, It's pulling off the mary sue trope very well. Which is: make your characters so cool atleast in one instance that you wouldn't care that its bullshit how OP they're.

I just hope it sells well.

So when the unfamiliar and still uninitiated nod their heads along and mutter about Osomatsu-san being their show of the year/season/etc. I cannot help but interpret them as impostors.

I suppose it depends how much that bothers you. I doubt the cast for this kind of show is anything but static, although I could easily be wrong, with the constant Gintama comparisons and all. I didn't find myself to be missing out on anything major due to me not knowing anything of the series prior and with the comedic roots being what they are I can only assume that will remain the same for my experience if the quality keeps up.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Monogatari Second Season 26 (Hitagi) END

Speech level - 100. I take it back, the portrayal of Ougi isn't misleading, she really is just that full of malice. That ending was really, really great... if it sticks.

Overall, that was very good. The longer arcs allowed for better character moments and more chances for development. I think I said most of my peace in my huge post last night, but the Hitagi End arc in particular was extremely strong. I suppose Bake was still better directed and such, but which one is preferred likely comes down to personal taste.

I might have to give the edge to second season, theres just so much it gets right.

I suppose it depends how much that bothers you. I doubt the cast for this kind of show is anything but static, although I could easily be wrong, with the constant Gintama comparisons and all. I didn't find myself to be missing out on anything major due to me not knowing anything of the series prior and with the comedic roots being what they are I can only assume that will remain the same for my experience if the quality keeps up.
The jokes specifically came from a "look at how ridiculous these character designs look in modern times" side which doesn't require knowledge of the original characters. The one time jokes seemed to stem from knowing the characters were from the attack on Titan gag.

Likely many of us will have a hard time telling the brothers apart or what their personalities are.

Squishy3

Oh wow I forgot that it used to do that. Sucks that they stopped. :(
Just a casualty of the simulcast scheduling. They probably don't have either enough time to do it like they used to, or they don't have enough slavesinterns free to look everything up.

For a little, probably. They have different voice actors which will help.
Maybe that will help. But I find it funny because in real life when people ask twins how people tell them apart it shows how clearly they aren't close with any twins because once you're friends with them you can easily tell them apart by differences in their looks (and yes voices).

In this situation they are all drawn identical. The only one I'll continuously recognize is the one that sounds like penguin san

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Here's a handy dandy guide:

Osomatsu: Leader
Karamatsu: Yankee
Choromatsu: Nerd
Todomatsu: Effeminate
Ichimatsu: Edgelord
Junyimatsu: Playboy

Although this is based more on their bishounen representations since we didn't get to see much of their classic form.

For example, you can see the visual cues here:
From left to right:
Choromatsu: Worrywart and frowny
Ichimatsu: Emo and sleepy looking
Osomatsu: Generally cheerful
Karamatsu: Note the eyebrows aka American Kirby Eyes and shiteating grin
Todomatsu: Rounder face and smaller cupid's bow mouth
Junyimatsu: More expressive in general

I wasn't enamored with episode 1 like others here. I felt like it lost the thread really quickly and became stale by the time they started haphazardly throwing in references, but the design of Osomatsu is very similar to that of Doraemon, which I do have experience with, so there's still the element of nostalgia and Showa-era gag humor for me.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I find Choro is the easiest to recognize because he's always straight man.

Everyone is usually :) or :> and he's always :<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom