• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Lupin III Part 2 - 5
TQ7NnlRl.jpg
Super fun ep that I liked because it was never too far out there. A heist and so many double crosses!

Osomatsu-san 1
Feels like impressions promised me ZAZ and I got Friedberg and Seltzer instead.

Oh boy did Animenewsnetwork screw up badly on the summary for A Corpse is Buried Under Sakurako's Feet.

Its not about some high school kid having a girlfriend 10 years older than him. She's actually engaged to a Police Officer.

Still don't understand how they screwed up.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This season's looking pretty good, much better than every other season this year.

Owari - Good
Lupin - Good
OPM - Good
Gundam - Gopd
Utawareru - Watchable
Shingeki - Watchable
Osomatsu - Watchable
Concrete - Watchable

TUSR

Banned
This season's looking pretty good, much better than every other season this year.

Owari - Good
Lupin - Good
OPM - Good
Gundam - Gopd
Utawareru - Watchable
Shingeki - Watchable
Osomatsu - Watchable
Concrete - Watchable

ty

Mailbox

Owari - Good
Lupin - Good
OPM - Good
Gundam - Gopd
Utawareru - Watchable
Shingeki - Watchable
Osomatsu - Watchable
Concrete - Watchable

to be fair at the beginning of this year we still had your lie in april and death parade.

So it's not like this year has downright sucked.

blurr

Stuff I'm watching this season:

Owarimonogatari
OPM
Gundam

Might pick one more, not sure about which, probably wait until more episodes come out.

Impression so far for each first episode. All can change in time though.

Good
Young Black Jack
Osomatsu
Noragami
Gundam

Meh
OPM
Comet Lucifer
Concrete Revolutio

Still need to see Perfect Insider and that Bones show.

Oh boy did Animenewsnetwork screw up badly on the summary for A Corpse is Buried Under Sakurako's Feet.

Its not about some high school kid having a girlfriend 10 years older than him. She's actually engaged to a Police Officer.

Series has lost 3 entire points.

Owari - Good
Lupin - Good
OPM - Good
Gundam - Gopd
Utawareru - Watchable
Shingeki - Watchable
Osomatsu - Watchable
Concrete - Watchable

I will put Utawareru to "good" thanks to this show is aired at right after that 2 lame LN adaptions lol.

Osomatsu is my favorite of the bros.

I probably wont watch the full show. Its an example of how modern anime is much better than old. The modern character designs are unique and thoughtful while the original ones for them look heartless and lacking spirit and life. The setting was perfect now were back to thrir dull house. Ill miss episide one.

DiGiKerot

Osomatsu is my favorite of the bros.

I probably wont watch the full show. Its an example of how modern anime is much better than old. The modern character designs are unique and thoughtful while the original ones for them look heartless and lacking spirit and life. The setting was perfect now were back to thrir dull house. Ill miss episide one.

So, you prefer the part where the show is actively mocking you by satirising how hilariously transparent the movitations and design behind a lot of modern anime are?

Fair enough.

Moaradin

If I want to check out Osomatsu, so I have to be familiar with the franchise? Apparently this thing has been going on since the 60s lol

DiGiKerot

If I want to check out Osomatsu, so I have to be familiar with the franchise? Apparently this thing has been going on since the 60s lol

I gather there's a lot of references going back to the original work, but from this first episode at least, there's no particular indication that the staff are expecting you to be especially familiar with the original work in order to get some enjoyment out of it.

So, you prefer the part where the show is actively mocking you by satirising how hilariously transparent the movitations and design behind a lot of modern anime are?

Fair enough.

DTL lacks self-awareness. It's part of his shtick.

No. It's not an active franchise; the manga ran in the 1960s, then there was a TV anime in 1966 and another one in 1988, and afterwards nothing until right now. So the new Osomatsu-san series can't really expect viewers to be too familiar with the franchise, though I'm sure there are nods in there that people who have read the original manga would appreciate. As long as you're aware it's a revival of a Showa-era property - which the first episode explictly states - and are familar with present-day anime, you'll get pretty much everything.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Okada Gundam 1
It's good.There's war, exposition, pilot not wearing shirt when piloting mobile suit due to that thingie on their back bone. Too bad sunrise didn't even give them pilot nipple. Will watch the next episode.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Osumatsu-san 01

I'm surprised more than one or two people here would actually like this. Seemed like there was a pretty heavy call to be familiar with the source material in addition to what I assume is some basic older Japanese cultural touchstones.

Beyond that this one off intro felt like its own outdated take on wacky references, with the resulting train wreck of perceived tropes not cacophonous enough to feel as wild or outrageous as this show seems to think it is. It didn't feel like the perspective of the past was being used to analyze, criticize, or even commentate on what anime has become. All that's really here is a bunch of cheap surface level visual gags.

Hopefully once this show settles into its own format next week it can present its own character and wit, but this was a pretty dismal opener of barely passable parody.

I'm almost in agreement with this. There is an aspect to parody gags where the humour simply comes down to "I recognise that!". "Hey, they are dressed like μ's from Love Live, that's funny because I know Love Live!"

But at the same time the gag was handled very well and interwoven within it were other jokes not reliant on the parody gag e.g. Dayoun's modernised look still retaining his unusually large cheeks clashing with the rest of his look.

However, I do feel this opening episode is not going to be completely reflective of the rest of the show so I'm going to wait for next week to properly judge.

phaze

Osomatsu-san 01

Yeah, wasn't fan of this either. Maybe cause I haven't watched a single idol show yet but the entire parody aspect of it, even the ones I did recognise, felt stale from the very beginning. This seems more like an outlier episode so I'll check out again but I'm not a fan of such a approach. You'd expect the premiere to show you what you can expect of of the series instead of running one gag into the ground throughout the whole 20 minutes they had.

Kowabon 01
Is she kill ? Is this episodic ? Why is it not spooky ? So many questions...

I'm going to assume this was intentionally choppy so as to adequately depict the nature of video calls. Wasn't very impressed, might wait for it to accumulate a few eps and only then marathon it as I feel the 3 minute format doesn't manage to properly set the mood.

I've never watched Yowamushi Pedal...

...but I look forward to more gifs of this guy just living the dream.
tumblr_n28im0dyOI1qcsnnso1_500.gif

That's right buddy, you live your dream.

Really shouldn't have checked the spoiler lol. It would have been more interesting to find out for myself, but I'm okay with this. I have high expectations for this one and The Perfect Insider. Need more serious mystery shows in my seasons.

Jintor

Shirobako 4

I'm still really struck by the way the show balances what you might call 'typical anime-ness' with its more realistic direction for the most part. The OP for instance is really this all-out extravanganza of standard anime OP-ness, characters leaping out at the screen etc; and the scene in the izakaya where the girls were all restating their dreams for MC to chime in and then end on her was very on-the-nose (if not, I think, what you might call typical anime directing either...). But most of the show is show in... well, not sure how to put it, but this more natural style that to me eschews standard anime camera positions... although that might just be because this is a workplace environment - a very cramped, very small, very occupied environment - which is anathema to the more standard high school/generic fantasy realm/scifi crap i usually watch? I'm not sure what I'm trying to say here.

The character design remains the strangest part of Shirobako to me, especially since it's depicting overweight males a lot which is pretty non-standard in terms of commonly-seen anime body types.

Jintor

wait, isn't that that weird anime adaptation of The Tempest except also magic (well, more magic) and... I don't remember. Rain? An island? The sea?
Some missing dead chick who came back maybe?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh weird, Peeping Life is a full anime. It's strange watching something go from youtube to full blown anime. I wonder if it's just a series of skits or if they tried to do full episodes.

Sterok

Go Princess Precure 35

So we're about at the point where Happiness Charge started going downhill. Have I mentioned how I hate amnesia as a plot point when we already know everything? Because I hate amnesia as a plot point when we already know everything. If there's no mystery it's just going to drag things out. And it's even worse when it's with a terrible character like Kanata. Towa's real name is about as stupid as you'd expect from the Hope Kingdom. Haruka lied. She's the only one dreaming to be a princess. Towa doesn't need to dream for sure. While I don't think Haruka got too much attention this episode since there was some focus on Towa's zetsubou, this really should've been a Towa episode. Pretending Haruka is as important to this guy she's met three times as his sister is dumb.

I'm almost in agreement with this. There is an aspect to parody gags where the humour simply comes down to "I recognise that!". "Hey, they are dressed like μ's from Love Live, that's funny because I know Love Live!"

But at the same time the gag was handled very well and interwoven within it were other jokes not reliant on the parody gag e.g. Dayoun's modernised look still retaining his unusually large cheeks clashing with the rest of his look.

However, I do feel this opening episode is not going to be completely reflective of the rest of the show so I'm going to wait for next week to properly judge.

I feel like a few people here are just instinctively reacting negatively to the presence of references in Osomatsu-san's first episode without actually considering the context. This isn't like most reference humor, where a reference is just thrown in at random in an otherwise unrelated context just to appeal to people who can recognize it. The concept the first episode is based on - the struggle of a decades-old property to figure out how they can still find an audience in modern times after an unexpected revival - it's a concept that could only work in this situation, the beginning of a new TV show in an old property. I'm a fan of narrative concepts that only work in a particular narrative format, as well as meta-narrative, and that is what we have here. It examines concepts such as the impossibility of staying true to yourself while chasing after popular trends of the day in a quest for popularity, the gap between generational expectations, and the difficulty of modernizing old franchises while retaining their unique appeal, all in the framework of a light-hearted and silly comedic take on the absurdities contained in present-day anime, specifically the most popular kind of anime right now - fujoshi/otome anime. (Remember that UtaPri is the best-selling TV anime this year, and it's not even close.) Much of that segment isn't even specific references, but a more generalized take on the otome concept. I really do see the first episode of Osomatsu-san as a brilliant, unique, and creative concept and execution, taking the meta-humor that the director and writer brought to their adaptation of Gintama to new heights.

phaze

In keeping with the season, can anyone recommend a good anime for Halloween time?

Yami Shibai - a series of horror shorts.

Maybe Mononoke too ? Not really scary per se, outside of one or two moments but it has some creepy atmosphere and monsters it it.

In keeping with the season, can anyone recommend a good anime for Halloween time?

Watch Vampire Princess Miyu TV and thank me later.

Oh weird, Peeping Life is a full anime. It's strange watching something go from youtube to full blown anime. I wonder if it's just a series of skits or if they tried to do full episodes.

They are full 23-minute episodes, though I'm fairly sure each episode is structured as a series of skits.

fertygo

Shiki is a legit good horror experience.

Starts off slow,
then really kicks it up a notch.

Also fuck Megumi, fuck everything about her.

That's not a spoiler. It's a commentary on how universally terrible she is.

Show at it best when its slow in first half tho, the 2nd half is entertaining.. but I prefer the atmospheric first half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom