• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

Monogatari Series Second Season 12-16

StxTcVQ.jpg

I mentioned a page ago how unexpected the previous arc was... But this one has surpassed it. Holy shit. The ending left me speechless. Nadeko is really the worst. She hasn't appeared at all after that twister game with Araragi and now she's an insane god. I didn't expect this arc to end like that, it was a bit boring at first, but the twist came out of nowhere. And it actually is the first time that an arc ends like that.

Until now, Monogatari S2 has been really weird, even for the series' standards. It started with Tsubasa Tiger, then it has a story that takes place during it, then this one that takes place after it and there's another story missing, which I guess is the next part. And you have that Ougi girl that appears like a part of the cast completely unexpected, is Oshino's niece and is scheming something? Damn.

I think I love this show more and more with each arc.

JulianImp

I saw this in another thread:

And I'll admit, I kind of want to see a gender swapped Monogatari. So maybe this cash grab idea catches on and everyone decides to whore their IPs out via gender swapping. lol

Nisio Isin is one of the writers I'd possibly trust to get gender-swapped versions of his characters right. I'd be okay with a couple OVA episodes of that or something.

Some characters such as Hanekawa and Nadeko would need lots of reworking though, since class rep and dojikko moe archetypes don't work all that well as male characters. Migrating a well-endowed Hanekawa into a guy with a slender but well-toned figure would be hilarous, especially when she goes full-on fanservice mode as black Hanekawa.

Ougi
would remain unaffected, however.

@Qurupeke: Same here. Watching more Monogatari has only gotten me more invested into the series. The scriptwriting's on point, and the abstract and dinamic visuals supplement it really well. It was the show that got me hooked onto character-centric stories.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I certainly don't think people should force other people to watch "the list", and the constant pushing of School Days always got on my nerves.

But Blood-C is a legitimately good show, and people should totally watch it.

Even if I was one of its largest proponents, I never liked it to be used as a form of hazing. Ethical issues aside, most of these shows are better watched in a group anyway and egging people to marathon them in solitude robbed them of one of the essential aspects of the experience.

I really wish I had the IRC logs of the night we discovered Dark Cat, for instance.

It's all too easy to see Monogatari reimagined into an otome work with a silent female protagonist that has to deal with all these brooding and abusive men possessed by monsters.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, I miss the AnimeGAF of around 2011-2013 or so. We've lost a lot of great posters over the years.
Kimi to natsu no owari shourai no yume
Ookina kibou wasurenai
Juu nen go no hachigatsu
Mata deaeru no wo shinjite
Saikou no omoide wo...

Nisio Isin is one of the writers I'd possibly trust to get gender-swapped versions of his characters right. I'd be okay with a couple OVA episodes of that or something.

Some characters such as Hanekawa and Nadeko would need lots of reworking though, since class rep and dojikko moe archetypes don't work all that well as male characters. Migrating a well-endowed Hanekawa into a guy with a slender but well-toned figure would be hilarous, especially when she goes full-on fanservice mode as black Hanekawa.

Ougi
would remain unaffected, however.
Yeah, snake really would need to be a different character come to think of it. I'm sure in this hypothetical universe where this would happen though, they'd figure something out. lol

The amount of people in here that don't know about The List definitely makes me realize how long I've been on Gaf. Fuck
Strike Witches is the voice of our generation.

(Also someone should post the manga page that has a macodin vs abf post exchange inserted in the text boxes)

It's all too easy to see Monogatari reimagined into an otome work with a silent female protagonist that has to deal with all these brooding and abusive men possessed by monsters.

Yeah, it is. Then it would just turn into Diabolik Lovers. There are even vampires. Those early Senjougahara scenes and Kanbaru scenes and Tsukihi/Karen would be interesting, lol

Even if I was one of its largest proponents, I never liked it to be used as a form of hazing. Ethical issues aside, most of these shows are better watched in a group anyway and egging people to marathon them in solitude robbed them of one of the essential aspects of the experience.

I really wish I had the IRC logs of the night we discovered Dark Cat, for instance.

Yeah, the "so bad it's good" form of enjoyment works best with a group of people who can laugh together. (Even legitimately good works can be experienced in this way with the right combination of people.) That's why you have things such as Mystery Science Theater 3000 where prerecorded commentary attempts to stand in for that group experience.

JulianImp

Yeah, snake really would need to be a different character come to think of it. I'm sure in this hypothetical universe where this would happen though, they'd figure something out. lol

Then there's Hanamonogatari with the Suruga groping and semi-kisses. Would that first scene get replaced by a crotch-grab?

Also, male Hachikuji would totally be shota bait, and female Ararararagi getting too cuddly with him... uh...
actually, I like how thinking about this scenario with the genders reversed made it weirder in my mind, which really doesn't make sense since it's also complerely reprehensible if it's male Aragi groping and fondling female Hachikuji. Gotta fight against skewed gender standards!

On the other hand, we'd also get stupid sexy (female) Kaiki, which might finally be enough of an incentive for them to release non-chibi figures of the character.

Sterok

Chivalry of a Failed Knight 1

You know, I don't think I've actually watched any magic school LN trash. So I checked out what seems to be the least hated one. Kind of stupid, though not the worst thing imaginable. Why are there 2 or 3 shows like this?

Should just let the list die peacefully. We had our fun, but it's just not possible to imprint our own nostalgia for bygone thread culture upon newer posters. It was a happy accident created and sustained by the convergence of a few people with a peculiar sense of humor, but groupwatching and the groupwatchers are both gone. We finally broke the cycle of masochism that made a lot of people uncomfortable anyway, so I'm fine letting it all disappear.

I get that, yeah. I'm not exactly trying to impose the List on anybody like it's required viewing, oh no.

I just wanted to bring it up to really see how much this community has changed in the past two years.

This is making me nostalgic for the good old days of AnimeGAF. Feels weird to be one of the longest-posting members still active in these threads.

Yeah, I miss the AnimeGAF of around 2011-2013 or so. We've lost a lot of great posters over the years.

I feel the same way, and I became a regular back in 2013.

I learned of a lot of great shows back then. I'd have probably never watched great shows like Kino's Journey, Gunbuster, or Eureka Seven had it not been for this thread.

I loved reading all the detailed analysis so many people made on many different shows, and I loved reading people's reactions to my favorite shows.

Seriously, waiting for people like CorvoSol to get to a certain point in Yami, Arjuna, or Code Geass was some of the most fun I've had in this thread.

Sigh...oh the good old days.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Then there's Hanamonogatari with the Suruga groping and semi-kisses. Would that first scene get replaced by a crotch-grab?

Also, male Hachikuji would totally be shota bait, and female Ararararagi getting too cuddly with him... uh...
actually, I like how thinking about this scenario with the genders reversed made it weirder in my mind, which really doesn't make sense since it's also complerely reprehensible if it's male Aragi groping and fondling female Hachikuji. Gotta fight against skewed gender standards!

On the other hand, we'd also get stupid sexy (female) Kaiki, which might finally be enough of an incentive for them to release non-chibi figures of the character.
Shinobu going from smexy smouldering vampire dude to a shouta would be funny too. lol

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wait, Arjuna is on my to watch list. I didn't realize it was one of those types of shows, welp forget that then.

I actually watched Arjuna a while back but never mentioned it (pretty sure this is the first time I've said this). Worked a bit on a "review" (well you know my review are never quite reviews) but put it on the back burner and by the time I remembered to finish it the show wasn't fresh in my mind.

Yokai Watch Dub 1-2

I enjoyed this far more then I was expecting to, the dub is really solid and all the humor is genuienly funny for a kids show without making awful puns/jokes. Nate and Whisper make a great pair and their interactions really makes the show work. I can see why Yokai Watch took off in Japan and I'm on board to keep watching the show and get the game later.

jesus nothing good on tuesdays eh?

Shin Atashinchi! (Haven't watched it yet, but I'm pretty interested.)

Yokai Watch Dub 1-2

I enjoyed this far more then I was expecting to, the dub is really solid and all the humor is genuienly funny for a kids show without making awful puns/jokes. Nate and Whisper make a great pair and their interactions really makes the show work. I can see why Yokai Watch took off in Japan and I'm on board to keep watching the show and get the game later.

Glad to see the quality of the show seems to have been conveyed properly in the English dub.

Having not seen the full episode of Comet Lucifer itself I can't speak to the rest of your post, but this statement is nonsense. From what I have seen, Orange is doing an excellent job with the CG in Comet Lucifer, as they normally do. This scene has very strong direction and animation that conveys a real sense of the power and weight behind these mecha and makes for thrilling action. It's better than a lot of 2D mecha action! CG in anime has traditionally been problematic, so I can understand the general concern, and I certainly wouldn't want to give up 2D animation entirely, but there's no reason to disparage the good work being done by Orange here and in Akito, Gooneys in Show by Rock, or Toei in Precure. When you have that level of CG, I can get behind it.

I think my main problem with Anime CGI isn't just whether the animations are weighty and realistic, but more importantly the fact that the shaders are consistently jarring and never manage to blend in with the 2D scene well enough. Modern CGI and Visual FX for live action films spend a lot of time and effort to ensure that it is as hard as possible to tell what is CGI and what is not: https://youtu.be/pocfRVAH9yU?t=2m22s. CGI in a movie like Planet of the Apes ensures that the immersion is never broken and you never feel the existence of a green screen. And the original Jurassic Park used a ridiculous range of tricks and techniques to try and hide the fact that they were papier mache props. IMO Anime CGI completely fails at this. You can immediately tell when something is 3D as it sticks out like a sore thumb (and for me this is completely immersion breaking). It doesn't look like it belongs to the same scene. It's much better for everything to be in CGI (ala Advent Children) as then it is consistent. Anime CGI is simply not yet at a level where you can create mixed scenes with it, and to me that makes it pretty crappy.

Phatmac

The fabeled 12th episode that we never thought would ever be released is here. It's a shame it's so late since I've forgotten mostly everything. It's a show that never really explained itself well but rather inferred the main conflict with style. The overall episode is a good way to end things with a satisfying end that still leaves enough mysteries for another season. Leo truly grew as a character over the course of the show and became a cool guy despite breaking down for the most part. His small exchange with the boss and the rest of his friends was great but the show needed better pacing for these moments overall. I really didn't know what was going on but it was fine regardless. Oh well Chain and Zapp are still the best people in this show so at least they had a cute moment together.

Russ T

Banned
I think my main problem with Anime CGI isn't just whether the animations are weighty and realistic, but more importantly the fact that the shaders are consistently jarring and never manage to blend in with the 2D scene well enough.

This is definitely the problem for me.

I have the same issue with video games that mix different styles (usually 2D and 3D or real-time 3D and pre-rendered 3D or some other similar mix). It's just actively jarring and tears me out of the game. Or anime, in this discussion's case.

I do not like it. I can't fault other people for tolerating or enjoying it, but it just ain't for me.

Also I got home and took a picture of my Little Witch Academia 2 thing. A little blurry but that's why I hate phones. Anyway here it is:

I guess it's not as bad as I was remembering it. It's kinda cute! She's got a nice smile going on. But it's not as good as anyone else's I've seen. ):

the most offensive thing is that it was slightly bent in the box, so there's a nice subtle crease right over the drawing that you probably can't see in the photo but you definitely can in real life. I'm so mad about that. I had a super nice print from a previous Kickstarter that I was really really looking forward to, and it is super crumpled on the corner. This one's not as bad as that one was, but still I really really argh if you're going to ship something like this please be ABSOLUTELY SURE it's impossible to accidentally bend, barring shitty shipping. the box was in fine shape, so I can't even blame the shipping like I could with the other one.

...grumble grumble whine complain........

Haha sorry I'll stop crying.

I guess I should watch LWA2 now that I have the disc!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom