• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCG

Lol. "Chief director". Probably another show where he's just a glorified executive producer putting his name on the project to get it off the ground.

Who knows? I do recall Watanabe was chief director for Space Dandy and Kawamori had the exact same role for several Macross projects, for example, so I'm under the impression that said staff position seems to imply there's more input involved than just being a producer who gathers a team and sits back. I'd also expect Taniguchi to direct and/or storyboard a few episodes.

In any case, the actual concept sounds vaguely like Patlabor on the surface, though it probably won't be exactly the same in the long run. Still, it's interesting enough for me. I'm also glad that Nakagawa is back as the composer, since he's been a longtime associate of Taniguchi and I like his music. Hard to tell how Active Raid is going to feel at this point, but it's definitely a little silly to see some folks randomly expecting something like Code Geass from that synopsis, even moreso when Taniguchi's directorial career has displayed way more variety than that.

Westlo

Still, it's interesting enough for me. I'm also glad that Nakagawa is back as the composer, since he's been a longtime associate of Taniguchi and I like his music.

Yeah that's good to see, I really like his work too, only Taniguchi shows without him are Ryvuis and Maria.... been enjoying his stuff in Arc-V and I'll probably check out Rakudai soon too since he scores that...

Jarmel

Banned
Who knows? I do recall Watanabe was chief director for Space Dandy and Kawamori had the exact same role for several Macross projects, for example, so I'm under the impression that said staff position seems to imply there's more input involved than just being a producer who gathers a team and sits back. I'd also expect Taniguchi to direct and/or storyboard a few episodes.

In any case, the actual concept sounds vaguely like Patlabor on the surface, though it probably won't be exactly the same in the long run. Still, it's interesting enough for me. I'm also glad that Nakagawa is back as the composer, since he's been a longtime associate of Taniguchi and I like his music. Hard to tell how Active Raid is going to feel at this point, but it's definitely a little silly to see some folks randomly expecting something like Code Geass from that synopsis, even moreso when Taniguchi's directorial career has displayed way more variety than that.

My understanding is that Watanabe didn't do much for Space Dandy and due to the nature of it being so heavily episodic, I don't think that's the best example.

A better one might be Tsutomu Mizushima with Squid Girl.

duckroll

It's not like he have anything to do recently.

He just finished directing Maria the Virgin Witch this year!

The "chief director" credit is not anything new. It has been around for ages. The actual degree of involvement varies greatly from production to production. So there's nothing standard. Some act as general supervisors for the project, while others are pretty deeply involved in the pre-production even down to individual episodes. I just don't feel that Taniguchi would have another director work on a show if he was really committed to making it "his" show. So this feels like something he's just sponsoring while planning other stuff.

JCG

My understanding is that Watanabe didn't do much for Space Dandy and due to the nature of it being so heavily episodic, I don't think that's the best example.

A better one might be Tsutomu Mizushima with Squid Girl.

I've already addressed that, but thanks for providing another example.

He just finished directing Maria the Virgin Witch this year!

And it was a pretty good show too. Rather unfairly overlooked in my opinion.

The "chief director" credit is not anything new. It has been around for ages. The actual degree of involvement varies greatly from production to production. So there's nothing standard. Some act as general supervisors for the project, while others are pretty deeply involved in the pre-production even down to individual episodes. I just don't feel that Taniguchi would have another director work on a show if he was really committed to making it "his" show. So this feels like something he's just sponsoring while planning other stuff.

Sure. I think we'll just disagree about what kind of involvement is likely in this particular case. Only time will be able to properly answer that question, but the series sounds like something I'd like to watch in either scenario.

So Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans is airing in the Nichigo timeslot on TBS (5 PM Sundays), which is about as high profile a timeslot as most anime can get and the traditional slot where major Gundam series air. Just one problem: Gundam missed the top 10 TV anime ratings list, thus making it at best the 2nd-worst rated premiere in that timeslot. Bizarrely, instead K Return of Kings shows up at number 10 on the list with a 3.0 rating. Late-night anime almost never does well ratings-wise, except the occasional NTV show, so it's bizarre to see K of all things, airing at 2 AM, outperform Gundam.

I don't know what's worse: Gundam not making the top 10 despite the mainstream timeslot and good opening episode or that's getting beaten by K of all things.

Sunrise really needs to stop trying to tell the same old war story with Gundam shows and try something new.

Like, I wonder how well they'd do making a "super-sentai" esque Gundam show aimed towards children for example.

You'd argue "that's not what Gundam is all about", but what Gundam is all about currently isn't doing the franchise any favours at this point!

Westlo

I always wondered why Taniguchi never did anything high profile like a Gundam after CG. I guess maybe the way R2 was handled, burned some bridges.

Shame he never got a gundam series while someone like Hino was allowed to put out such garbAGE. Has Taniguchi worked with Sunrise at all since R2?

I don't know what's worse: Gundam not making the top 10 despite the mainstream timeslot and good opening episode or that's getting beaten by K of all things.

The first episode being good isn't exactly going to help its ratings as it airs.... you would think word of mouth would help episode 2's rating but..... we'll see lol.

fertygo

Eh K probably got fluke bump over an event program that aired just before it or something, and for Gundam rating.. that sounds bad, but some popular Nichigo show charted high as show with most recorded in DVR. And the blu-ray still tracking fine in pre-order.

TimmiT

Gintama 292

New ED is boss. Not sure about the OP... may grow on me over time like some of the past ones.

Did they have the Cross Ange staff draw parts of this episode - looked rough at times.

yr0ENQJ.jpg

Please don't derp my Kagura-chan.... Bandai Namco P*ctures!

I guess they had spent most of the budget on the new OP and ED. :V

Cornbread78

Blast of Tempest ep.1
tumblr_n5o0nqHkCj1rfx24fo1_500.gif

Love it when I hear Yuu's VA, lol. After watching Amagi's last week and now this; he's damn good...

Visuals and music were excellent in this episode. That battle scene with Mahiro and that gun weilding lady was awesome stuff as well.... Looks like we have a new bromance with Mahiro and Yashino as they start to dig into the back story an plot line. Was that Yashino's girlfriend with Mahiro on the bike saying she was a liar? I got a little confused there... Excellant first episode though.. Still, this mage princess seams fishy...

tumblr_ngt4wnjjXy1rydwbvo1_500.gif

So Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans is airing in the Nichigo timeslot on TBS (5 PM Sundays), which is about as high profile a timeslot as most anime can get and the traditional slot where major Gundam series air. Just one problem: Gundam missed the top 10 TV anime ratings list, thus making it at best the 2nd-worst rated premiere in that timeslot. Bizarrely, instead K Return of Kings shows up at number 10 on the list with a 3.0 rating. Late-night anime almost never does well ratings-wise, except the occasional NTV show, so it's bizarre to see K of all things, airing at 2 AM, outperform Gundam.

Behold the power of insanely cool anime. It was tied for best episode 1 in the four way tie this season.
tumblr_nvtb43kbjB1ri1zbno1_500.gif

after seeing the gifs and pics of that show, im not surprised in the least. It hits both audiences that like boys love fanfiction and pointless boob jiggling cleavage.-halfkidding-

Tantei Team KZ Jiken Note Episode 1 – The Missing Bike Knows Part 1
CQt9jufWcAAQ4d_.png
CQt97X4WUAAZvUq.png

Animated perfection, and also we have our third Tsukishima Kei this season. All of the team KZ are good character designs.

Loved the body language shows they care for each other lines, thats just how they are.

1. Uesugi 2. Wakatake for best.

Cornbread78

Young Black Jack ep. 1
Aqua, I'll definately give this one some more time. That fist episode was actually pretty intense and was a good watch overall. That father was a douche in the end to pull off that cheap antics that he did, but it's just the start of his budding career I guess.....

Welcome to the NHK 1-5
Fairly silly show so far with the life of a Hikkimori. Kind of weird how he did not know about any of this stuff despite being a Hikkimori for 4 years. The senpai seems pretty interesting

Risette

A Good Citizen
isn't this pretty much what watanabe did for dandy, other than writing a few eps? shinto natsume was the "real" director

Young Black Jack ep. 1
Aqua, I'll definately give this one some more time. That fist episode was actually pretty intense and was a good watch overall. That father was a douche in the end to pull off that cheap antics that he did, but it's just the start of his budding career I guess.....

I'm glad you're watching it.

pbayne

Welcome to the NHK 1-5
Fairly silly show so far with the life of a Hikkimori. Kind of weird how he did not know about any of this stuff despite being a Hikkimori for 4 years. The senpai seems pretty interesting

You are in for a hell of a ride. One of the greats and it sucks that Gonzo dosen't make shows like this anymore.

If you think Satou is messed up in the show you should see what he's like in the novel.

phaze

Trapeze 01

I take it this is an episodic show ? Though the English title seems to imply a more long-standing connection to the main protagonist of the story presented within this opening episode. Well, no matter, it was a really good but also really, really weird premiere. The live-action, the rotoscoping and god only knows what else is so far handled really well and it works superbly in establishing the trippy atmosphere the show strives for. So far the one a bit disappointing thing was the conclusion which felt rushed and not very earned as well as the guy (the Fuji TV president or something) who pops out now and then to give a "medical" commentary and who shtick already felt old the second time he appeared. Other than that a very fine opening outing.

Dance With Devils Episode 1
CQuiZFpWEAEytK1.png
CQujG7cWIAAbhHA.png

Strong opening episode. It felt like an opera musical type of affair with the creepy grimoire music at the start and the girl in the dress, then the singing female lead character (Ritsuka), and then singing StuCo. I like it. Blue is best of the StuCo.

kewlmyc

Trapeze 01

I take it this is an episodic show ? Though the English title seems to imply a more long-standing connection to the main protagonist of the story presented within this opening episode. Well, no matter, it was a really good but also really, really weird premiere. The live-action, the rotoscoping and god only knows what else is so far handled really well and it works superbly in establishing the trippy atmosphere the show strives for. So far the one a bit disappointing thing was the conclusion which felt rushed and not very earned as well as the guy (the Fuji TV president or something) who pops out now and then to give a "medical" commentary and who shtick already felt old the second time he appeared. Other than that a very fine opening outing.

The series is episodic as hell. Still one of the trippiest anime I've seen. It's a treat.

The injection by the nurse happens every episode and gets kinda stale though.

Dance With Devils Episode 1
CQuiZFpWEAEytK1.png
CQujG7cWIAAbhHA.png

Strong opening episode. It felt like an opera musical type of affair with the creepy grimoire music at the start and the girl in the dress, then the singing female lead character (Ritsuka), and then singing StuCo. I like it. Blue is best of the StuCo.

They look like vampires. Are they vampires?

phaze

The series is episodic as hell. Still one of the trippiest anime I've seen. It's a treat.

The injection by the nurse happens every episode and gets kinda stale though.

It certainly reached my Top 5 trippy anime with ease. Maybe even topped it. lol

Castle of Cagliostro

I've so far strayed away from watching anything Lupin, both because it's oldddd and old shows are baaaad but also cause everything I've heard and seen of it didn't seem like my particular brand of coffee. And well, judging by this movie, I wasn't very off. Bashing the simplistic "save the princess" plot probably isn't very warranted, given that this is precisely what the movie was going for but neither it nor Lupin's goofy escapades did anything for me. It was mentioned here that this is Lupin at his most noble so I'll be looking forward to the different and as I understand it, more traditional interpretation of the character in the current TV series.

blurr

Hyouka 09

This show is an absolute delight to watch. This episode was pretty fun, I liked the last girl who presented her theory, it was ridiculous and far more interesting than the rest.

Sigh. I just don't want this to become a GIF spamming thread, let alone a terribly-filtered-GIF spamming thread.

Sore ga Seiyuu from last season is one of the best shows Gonzo's ever made!
You say that, but the last gif posted was almost five pages ago. If two-three gifs every five pages is spamming you need to change your standards.

JCG

Shame he never got a gundam series while someone like Hino was allowed to put out such garbAGE. Has Taniguchi worked with Sunrise at all since R2?

I can only recall an unconfirmed rumor that he turned down that opportunity years ago. As for recent works, I believe he made a picture drama or two for the new-ish Code Geass BD box re-releases.

isn't this pretty much what watanabe did for dandy, other than writing a few eps? shinto natsume was the "real" director

Among other things, I believe he also storyboarded the opening and came up with the concept according to interviews. I'll admit Watanabe's first episode script wasn't too great, you know, but the later ones were quite good. Strictly speaking, it's hard to claim that there was only one "real" director, in my opinion, because Space Dandy was intended to be extremely episodic. It had a rotating staff every week. Both Watanabe and Natsume worked on their own episodes yet still gave everyone else a lot of creative freedom.

"you went full R with that second season, you'll never work in this industry again!"

We all know that making crazy series has never stopped Yoshiyuki Tomino or Shoji Kawamori.

Dance with Devils - 1

It's the musical anime I've always wanted but never got.

Well, for the first eight minutes anyway. Without them, the show's just a super generic DTL-esque shoujo show.

But oh man, I hope it keeps it up with the musical numbers.

Sakurako-san no Ashimoto - 01

Liked this episode quite a bit! It felt calm and easygoing. Sakurako steals the show with her unorthodox ways and odd but likable personality.
At first I thought this was some typical high school show but with bones. So I was pleasantly surprised when it turned into a, what seems to be, well researched forensics mystery solving!

Sakurako-san no Ashimoto - 01

I loved it. Very beautiful show and great display of forensics. I did not got bored by the explanations somehow.

Also Sakurako-san da best. Dat bones fetish <3

Witch Hunter Robin 8

Well now, we have a witch who uses his powers for good (or tries to anyway).
Granted he's found out and sacrifices himself for his friend,
Still it's the thought that counts.

Good episode overall. Liked that the witch of the week had some morality with him.

Sakurako-san 1
This was ok. It's good looking and sets up the characters and premise fairly well even if the case they have here isn't interesting. It's a bit too much like Bones for my liking and I'm somewhat skeptical that this is going to have compelling forensics cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom