• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hatsukoi Limited ep.4-6
Yeah know, I kinda dig the tone and themes of this anime. The scenerios and actions are fun to watch and the emotions are realistic. I'm surprised how much I'm liking it as a school time romance/comedy since it is pretty tame, but they make the episodic approach really work for all the characters.
You'll soon see that there is a main couple, despite the group dynamics. lol

JulianImp

My brain insists on reading Sakurako as Sakutaro.
Uryu!

Watched EP1 tonight. The art was good, but the plot was only decent. The lack of focus on the case, and how Sakurako basically just helped steer the investigation in the right direction and little else was a bit underwhelming as far as murder mysteries are concerned. Will probably continue watching the series in case it gets more interesting, though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru 01
wLDZH1E.jpg
A very bad show. Maybe one of the worst this season. There is just no focus to the show. It sets up certain concepts but conveys none of the things an opening episode needs. Who is the main character? How does he know the female lead? The story has no direction after this first episode, which is maybe the most condemning thing imaginable. Instead hints of some larger story are tucked away throughout the episode without any examination, context, or elaboration. Lines like "Come to think of it there is one thing I forgot to mention. When I'm with Sakurako-san...somehow we always seem to find human remains." So why does the story start here? Everything that happens is almost shrugged off as uneventful, and none of the subplots are connected with any lines. The two leads have no rapport, and the main character has less screen presence than some of the skeletons.

This is Troyca's first solo project and frankly it's mostly hideous to look at. Lousy perspective and character scaling against the backgrounds. Rough CG work that stands out as a fuzzy and blurred mess when the show chooses to enter some kind of first person mode that shines a light on just how low detail the CG can be. Really not fond of the color work, character design, or the overbearing filter/reflection CG work. Trash can tier show.

Owarimonogatari 01

xxb4OzH.jpg
qFMtfuu.png
QJqx7Sn.jpg

The most trustworthy face I know

OP is good, but probably won't be one of the ones I watch every episode.

I must say that Ougi is doing a fine job of being completely unreadable over the course of the series. I thought she was being misportrayed, then that she was simply full of malice, now I don't know. It's clear that she knows more then she should and leads people on, though. I'm thinking she may have some kind of ability having something to do with memory...everyone seems to know her but she just showed up out of the blue. I am trying to figure out when this is. After Hitagi End but before Tsukimonogatari?

MONOGATARI SERIES OVERALL THOUGHTS

Second Season > Bake > Tsuki. I'm not quite sure what to think about Nise, Neko and Hana yet.

That was pretty damn good. Highlights were Bakemonogatari and Second Season, but even stuff like Nise and Neko weren't bad, just not up to par. Overall the directorial style never tired, the character arcs and development were satisfactory, and it's an overall strong and enjoyable experience. I think my favorite character was Kaiki, but I really like Hanekawa and Shinobu as well. Really the biggest problem is the lolicon stuff, which I really cant let slide. I like Ononoki and Shinobu, and Hachikuji and Araragi have great interactions but then a lot of the time the scenes go the way of "No, goddammit, why?" Ok, but no one cares about that. People care about THIS -

BEST ARC

Hitagi End, easily. Mayoi Jiangshi, Nadeko Medusa and Tsubasa Cat (in that order) are my runner ups.

BEST INDIVIDUAL MOMENTS

Senjougahara and Araragi stargazing in Bake 12 (duh it's probably the best scene in the entire series)
Senjougahara "I love you" in Bake i forgot the episode
Last few scenes of Bake 15
Kagenui and Araragi "fight" in Nise
Any Kaiki/Senjougahara scene in Hitagi End
Kaiki and Ononoki scene in SS 23
Nadeko's breakdown and transformation in SS 14-15
Shinobu and Araragi's bonding in SS 10
Shinobu and Kiss-Shot in SS 10

BEST OP

1. Hitagi End
2. Nadeko Medusa
3. Tsukihi Phoenix
4. Mayoi Snail
5. Nadeko Snake

BEST GIRL

I cannot choose between Senjougahara and Hanekawa. It's impossible.

blurr

Hana was definitely better than Tsuki IMO, this is coming from an Ononoki Yotsugi fan.
Senjougahara is best of course

Bones: The Anime 1

Not bad. Bit simplistic case but it served well as an introduction to the characters. It also helped that it looks really nice with lots of interesting camera angles.

Looking forward to Tri, were any of the Digimon series after Tamers good?

Digimon Adventure 02 and The Young Hunters Who Leapt Through Time have been the only bad Digimon series ever. I used to think Frontier was bad, but my current rewatch has been quite illuminating so far. I was wrong.

Although Tri will be joining them when it starts.

Phatmac

My favorite op is probably Platnium Disco due to how cute and catchy it is. Plus it doesn't have an evil snake in it. Pretty much agree with all you've said but my ultimate dilemma is choosing between crab girl and loli slave vampire girl. Gahara is so damn good but whenever I see her smug smile my heart waivers.

blurr

Yea, Tsukihi is something else. For me:

1. Senjougahara
2. Ononoki Yotsugi
3. Shinobu
4. Tsukihi

Not sure about the rest

ibyea

Banned
Digimon Adventure 02 and The Young Hunters Who Leapt Through Time have been the only bad Digimon series ever. I used to think Frontier was bad, but my current rewatch has been quite illuminating so far. I was wrong.

Although Tri will be joining them when it starts.

How can you be so sure Tri will be bad? Don't get me wrong I wasn't exactly happy with the news and I am not that excited for it but at the same time you are so certain it's going to be bad that I want to know why.

Also,
Frontier is crap. ;)

Guys! I found some time to watch some anime! So now I won't come off like that guy who hangs around a group of friends, but never has anything in common with them!

Haibane Renmei 6

Winter is coming? This story takes place in the game of thrones universe confirmed.

Err...I think Kuu needs to replace the battery on her halo.

Oh, so this is why there aren't any old Haibane. Well, this episode got depressing fast.

How can you be so sure Tri will be bad? Don't get me wrong I wasn't exactly happy with the news and I am not that excited for it but at the same time you are so certain it's going to be bad that I want to know why.

Also,
Frontier is crap. ;)

I can be sure it's bad because they're knifing the original cast in the back.

It will be, at least for me, be unwatchable because of them hiring a bunch of third-rate impostors to try and pretend to be the original characters. I'm sure it will be fine for people with no positive memories or connections with the original, though. But it's absolutely not being made for anyone who liked Adventure.

If I reviewed anime as I do western TV shows then not only would no anime ever beat any of the top western dramas, but no comedy would ever reach the highs of western comedy. Also Arrow would be part of The List.

WELCOME TO THE NEW AGE

TO THE NEW AGE

RFAOvhN.gif
For the longest time I thought that .gif was from Agents of SHIELD. (Haven't watched either.)

ibyea

Banned
I can be sure it's bad because they're knifing the original cast in the back.

It will be, at least for me, be unwatchable because of them hiring a bunch of third-rate impostors to try and pretend to be the original characters. I'm sure it will be fine for people with no positive memories or connections with the original, though. But it's absolutely not being made for anyone who liked Adventure.

That doesn't seem like a deal breaker in terms of writing and animation though. And at the end of the day, if the new voice actors do a great job what's the problem?

Lupin III 02

WOGDVLT.jpg
Y9pWk2u.jpg

WOW REALLY JIGEN

I liked this episode better then the first. It's hilarious to me that Lupin and Jigen somehow get live hand grenades, an RPG and a Browning Machine gun to shoot at this dude who is immune to bullets. Where do they get that shit anyway? Honestly didn't expect this to be completely bonkers.

Show does look nice for something from this era.

Sakurako-san 1

I'm completely digging the presentation here, but I'm going to need some actual culprit-pointing to really get invested in a mystery series like this. Just determining if something is a suicide or a murder isn't very interesting.

The real strength of Green Jacket (both Osumi and A-Pro episodes) is that nearly every expression that characters make has a certain unique charm. Yasuo Otsuka was a constant, so detailed machines are a given.

Despite being 8 years older Lupin looks better then Mobile Suit Gundam which is the oldest show I've ever finished. Of course, 2 episodes in. I believe Part II aired around the same timeframe as MSG, that will be interesting.

Despite being 8 years older Lupin looks better then Mobile Suit Gundam which is the oldest show I've ever finished. Of course, 2 episodes in. I believe Part II aired around the same timeframe as MSG, that will be interesting.

Comparisons become really fun when one considers that Castle of Cagliostro released while MSG was airing. Obviously the feature film is going to look better, but the gulf is pronounced nonetheless.

Mik317

Watched a few Fall shows and ...ehhhh

Concrete Revolution

Neat premise. A world with all the anime heros (magical girls, mechas, ultraman) is an interesting premise but i don't know..the MC seems to be a bit too reserved for what this show seems to be trying to do. It's colorful, bombastic and yet our protag is this stoic, calm and cool guy. It just feels off here. Also I don't know about the flash forward thing they were trying.... Interesting Premise tho.

Will Watch Another Episode.

The Asterisk War

wooo boy. School setting already had me weary ( i don't hate them , its just that you can see where the story will go already), but the opening fight was cool. MC jumps into window...oh no she is dressing ...what are the odds. Wait, she wants to kick his ass and challenge him a duel? Ok, rememption.....and it ends with the fall on her and grope her boobs thing. NOOOOOPE. I stopped watching there. If it gets good later fine but it is too damn generic for me.

Donezo unless it apparently becomes gdlk

Comet Lucifer

I finished the episode. Not too sure about this one. Seems to have a pretty diverse and interesting cast but there is something that is driving me nuts (The Asterisk War also had this problem)..alot of these protaganists are the same dude. Normal (bland) kid who is reasonabally talented and interesting things just so happen to interupt his normal life...also is bad with girls because yolo. That's boring as hell. This is something that has prevented me from getting far in a lot of other shows too. The main character is super important to me so to see all these self inserts just bland up the place sucks and ruins shit. The asterisk war is generic slop more than likely but just having a main lead that wasn't this bland, polite...but also talented normal kid would at least give it something.
The Mech was cool tho.

Doubt I continue.

Mr. Osomatsu

This is Gintama without it's cast but the same brand of humor. I like it. I wonder if it can keep that up because it felt like a one off type thing with all the parodies but the first episode was strong enough to keep me interested in seeing where it goes.

Atleast another episode for sure.

but yeah I normally am a pretty accepting person when it comes to thing but Bland MCs really are becoming one of my biggest pet peeves with the medium. The Everyman archetype generally only works when surrounded by a bunch of cool people and the show plays up on the everyman's normalness. It stops working when this boring turd is pushed super hard and is the best at everything because reasons.

Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru 01

A very bad show. Maybe one of the worst this season. There is just no focus to the show. It sets up certain concepts but conveys none of the things an opening episode needs. Who is the main character? How does he know the female lead? The story has no direction after this first episode, which is maybe the most condemning thing imaginable. Instead hints of some larger story are tucked away throughout the episode without any examination, context, or elaboration. Lines like "Come to think of it there is one thing I forgot to mention. When I'm with Sakurako-san...somehow we always seem to find human remains." So why does the story start here? Everything that happens is almost shrugged off as uneventful, and none of the subplots are connected with any lines. The two leads have no rapport, and the main character has less screen presence than some of the skeletons.

This is Troyca's first solo project and frankly it's mostly hideous to look at. Lousy perspective and character scaling against the backgrounds. Rough CG work that stands out as a fuzzy and blurred mess when the show chooses to enter some kind of first person mode that shines a light on just how low detail the CG can be. Really not fond of the color work, character design, or the overbearing filter/reflection CG work. Trash can tier show.

Because they adapt chapter 2 of volume 1 and skip chapter 1.
But actually it doesn't really matter, it won't change much even they adapt chapter 1 first, because it's just a story about a female that never read between the lines, in the novel, sometimes she even won't tell police the truth about the case, or just leave the crime scene before police come there if she think that's annoying lol.

And yeah, this show is pretty easy to adapt, because the anime staff can choose, say, 12 cases(if they do one case in each episode) in different volume and it still won't confused the story.

pbayne

Concrete Revolution 1

Probably the most "WTF did I just watch" so far this season. I don't like judging things on one episode but jesus it was just madness. Superpowers, magic, spying, robots, romance...it was like a dog pissing ideas against a wall and hoping some of them stick. Bones I don't think are generally good at story so I was expecting this to be a bit of a mess.

In the end I had no idea who the good guys or bad guys were or the motivations of anyone. Very close to a drop atm.

Because they adapt chapter 2 of volume 1 and skip chapter 1.

How long are the cases, usually?
I ask because I think most mystery murder things don't adapt very well to 22 min. episodes, I would prefer it if they use 2-3 episodes per case.
Or maybe most of the series is going to be focused on a single, complex case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom