• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tsukimonogatari

tumblr_nhgyn21fL61qckkfko1_500.gif

Hanamonogatari was a bit boring, yeah.

How long are the cases, usually?
I ask because I think most mystery murder things don't adapt very well to 22 min. episodes, I would prefer it if they use 2-3 episodes per case.
Or maybe most of the series is going to be focused on a single, complex case?

In episode 1 it's actually missed few things from the novel chapter, i would say if they want a 1:1 adaption, well i guess 1.5-2 episodes for each case is required.
Is the novel have english translation btw?

Hanamonogatari was a bit boring, yeah.

I never really liked Hana because it raises all those questions that won't be answered for a while.
Kaiki's inclusion kinda ruins the ending of Monogatari Second Season for me
Also, Kanbaru isn't really able to be an interesting main character, at least not in the way the guest MC's in Second Season are (Kaiki, Hanakawa).

Probably my least favorite arc. I didn't hate it though.

blurr

That's surprising, I actually hold Hana in high regard, it had a lot of conversations, every one of them were thought provoking, particularly Kanbaru's talk with
Araragi in the car, he had some very interesting dialogue and also in the end

Considering it happens much later chronologically,
I'm okay with Kaiki's inclusion, I liked the whole Meat scene

kurahador

So...I finally bought Blood-C bluray alongside its The Last Dark movie after hearing how the series lack a proper conclusion or something.
Time to start watching!!

Eps. 1: Hmmm....that was abit slow and overly cute....? Guess CLAMP signature is still there. Then there's a fight at the end. What's with the ominous and intense music though??

Eps. 2: Guess they are doing monster of the week thing? Still can't get over all those cuteness though.

Eps. 3: Similar pattern, but now we have death. Damn that was brutal.

Eps. 4: Fucking hell...still not sure what the hell these "things" are talking about.

Eps. 5: Monster of the week again, but I think I'm enjoying it more now. The teacher seems suspicious....Holy shit that ending, almost gave me a heart attack.

Eps. 6: Fuckkkkkk!!!!! That was some snuff film level of gory shit. Now the cafe guy seems suspicious?? Talking dog?? What the hell is wrong with everyone????

Decided to take it slow now as I just realized the series only have 12 episodes.

Sölf

Oh, hey there, AnimeGAF. Didn't see you there. I heard you like playing games, yeah? Yeah! That's great! So let's play a little game:

- The following file contains 50 songs from different shows. I want to know the following: Name of the Show and what it is (Opening, Ending or Backgrounds (Insert songs are considered Background) (and if you are bored, Name of the Song (if available)).
- Music may be from TV Shows, OVAs or Movies.
- Lengths varies between ~15-30 seconds, most are ~20-25 seconds long.
- It's not guaranteed that OPs and EDs are the TV version, they could be taken from a part from the full length song.
- Each Show only has one song, however, each franchise and season can have one. For example, K-On!, K-On!! and K-On! The Movie could all appear, but each one only once.
- If a song appears in in multiple shows, for example Fuwa Fuwa Time which appears in K-On! S1 and the movie, I want to know the name of the show where it first appeared (which would be S1 in this example).
- You are allowed a maximum of 3 errors: 1-3 wrong/missing Names and/or 1-3 wrong/missing labeled OP/ED/Background.

You have until Sunday noon, GMT+1 (which is in a little more than 72 hours).

If you get everything right, you may choose an avatar I have to wear for one month.

Finally, the download. You may want to make a list with timestamps.
http://share.cherrytree.at/showfile-18952/soelfs_challenge_v2.mp3

Oh, and googleing is for noobs. :mad:
(At least if you just reverse google th lyrics)

Sakurako-san 01

Visually beautiful to look at but there were a few things that gave me pause like the shot when they were in the car and the MC and Sakurako seemed too small for the car. MC seems like he'll be annoying though. Will continue to watch.

So...I finally bought Blood-C bluray alongside its The Last Dark movie after hearing how the series lack a proper conclusion or something.
Time to start watching!!

Eps. 1: Hmmm....that was abit slow and overly cute....? Guess CLAMP signature is still there. Then there's a fight at the end. What's with the ominous and intense music though??

Eps. 2: Guess they are doing monster of the week thing? Still can't get over all those cuteness though.

Eps. 3: Similar pattern, but now we have death. Damn that was brutal.

Eps. 4: Fucking hell...still not sure what the hell these "things" are talking about.

Eps. 5: Monster of the week again, but I think I'm enjoying it more now. The teacher seems suspicious....Holy shit that ending, almost gave me a heart attack.

Eps. 6: Fuckkkkkk!!!!! That was some snuff film level of gory shit. Now the cafe guy seems suspicious?? Talking dog?? What the hell is wrong with everyone????

Decided to take it slow now as I just realized the series only have 12 episodes.

Enjoy the rest of the ride.:D

Mailbox

Welp, that was a bad choice to watch this week.

Because i have a midterm friday, and couldn't stop watching this damn show.

God damn that was some good shit!

My 2 only gripes are that there is an unfortunate amount of reused animation in places, and its quite noticeable. The other is that despite being 25 episodes, not much really actually happens. basically its intros, 2 practice matches, and a tournament arc. Not a big deal, since i expect the second season to rectify this.

Shit, i should study... I should watch more sports anime....

But Studying genetics comes first :p hehe...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sölf;181047426 said:
Oh, hey there, AnimeGAF. Didn't see you there. I heard you like playing games, yeah? Yeah! That's great! So let's play a little game:

Nowhere does he say we can't work together as a community, so as a community lets solve this and choose an avatar for him as a community.

Mailbox

Nowhere does he say we can't work together as a community, so as a community lets solve this and choose an avatar for him as a community.

We would kinda have to. With those restrictions you'd have had to watch every anime creation ever, and memorize, and catalogue every song appearance to have a chance at winning.

I'll do my best after my midterm in Friday.
I won't be posting on here until then, see you guys on Friday afternoon.

NeonZ

Lupin - Part III (Pink Jacket series)

Overall, like almost everything else in the Lupin franchise afterwards, this show is very influenced by Lupin's 2nd tv series, however, it's also a departure in a few ways that all later productions seemed to avoid. The character designs are very inconsistent, and its tone once again is very variable, but in some ways it's a much more focused show than the previous one.

The character design is likely what stands out the most here, since it at least starts in a very different direction from any other Lupin animated production. Lupin and Goemon have much thicker faces, while Jigen is the opposite, slimmer and now brown haired. His eyes aren't hidden behind his hat anymore either.

However, after a certain point, in what looks like a rushed reaction to the bad reception of these new designs, it seems like every animator gets freedom to change them in any way they want in order to make them closer to the previous designs. This results in designs that are closer to classic Lupin, but also results in a lot of off model shots that often seem to be just as disliked, if not more disliked than those initial designs. Personally, although it was quite an impact coming from the other shows, I liked the initial designs in this season, since they had a stronger sense of presence to them,

Lupin_s03_ep12_01_zpsjlxbrmtl.jpg
Lupin_s03_ep043_01_zpsysqf5oyd.jpg
Lupin_s03_ep10_01_zpsxjskzicn.jpg

The first shot there is Pink Jacket's own take on Lupin in the beginning of his career. The third shot is this series' redesign of Arsene Lupin.

Lupin, Goemon, Jigen and Fujiko pretty much continue their characterization from the previous series, without any real changes. This time, although the episodes are still inconsistent about Lupin using lethal force or not, they never actually go out of their way to say things like "Lupin never killed before!" Zenigata starts this season with a rather minor presence, often only appearing in one or two scenes per episode. His presence becomes stronger through the show, possibly as another attempt to bring it closer to the Red Jacket series. However, he still continues to be a more secondary character compared to his presence in the 2nd series.

As far as the stories themselves go, although it keeps the tone of the Red Jacket series, with mostly light episodes, and some darker ones mixed in, there are still some differences. Pink Jacket focuses much more on actual heists stories. Stories where Lupin meets some funny character and has to help them for whatever reason, which are rather common in the Red Jacket series almost don't exist here. The same goes to the most common serious type of story in the Red Jacket series though - a famous killed attempting to kill Lupin and Jigen. There are a couple of duel stories, but they're generally tied to heist plots too, rather than being the only focus.

Oddly, in later episodes of the show, there's a heavy emphasis on episodes where Lupin has to face armies, paramilitary groups, spy agencies or political conspiracies. At least to me, that's easily one of the most memorable elements of this series compared to the other ones. No new recurring characters are introduced, and there aren't even returning villains or new recurring antagonists this time, unless you count the CIA and KGB.

Lupin_s03_ep033_01_zpscbb4wtop.jpg
Lupin_s03_ep027_01_zpsjl9pf8ju.jpg
Lupin_s03_ep024_02_zpsgngiscdu.jpg

The white mercedes from the 1st opening never appears in the series itself... Jigen in later episodes gets his hairstyle from that one episode of Red Jacket where he loses his hat.

The show keeps the 2nd series' focus on an international Lupin, however, there's less effort put into it, with the locations sometimes not being directly identified, and the show doesn't seem to put as much effort into recreating real landmarks. On the other hand, on average, I think the backgrounds without specific references here look better than the ones in the 2nd series. The soundtrack of this show seems to be completely original, without any traces of the soundtrack of the 2nd series. I think it helps giving identity to it, so I actually enjoy that aspect, although I wish there were a 2nd insert theme, rather than only the opening.

Overall, due to the focus on heists and some great jewels spread through the show, alongside the removal of my most disliked story types, I prefer this show to Red Jacket. If you actually enjoyed the variety of stories covered by the 2nd series though, Part III might seem rather monotonous in spite of the lower episode count. Compared to the original series, the dark episodes here are actually darker than anything there, with the darkness not limited to violence, but also personal tragedies and the characters themselves feeling them. On the other hand, it's average tone is even goofier and more more comedic than the original.

Part III is also even more over the top than previous series - like I said above, putting Lupin against governments or armies becomes rather common after a certain point of the show, and, unlike the siege episode in Red Jacket, these stories often present Lupin trumping them all and winning. I think the series is at its best when Lupin is unbelievably competent, so I mostly enjoyed those episodes. The very inconsistent art style is a very present flaw though, and, after it begins, it never really goes away. Animation-wise, there's nothing comparable to the two Miyazaki episodes in the Red Jacket series either.

So, the show has some clear flaws and less variety in scope, still, if it hits what you enjoy about Lupin, like it did with me, it's a very enjoyable series.

Cornbread78

Owarimonogatari 01
BEST INDIVIDUAL MOMENTS

Senjougahara and Araragi stargazing in Bake 12 (duh it's probably the best scene in the entire series)
Senjougahara "I love you" in Bake i forgot the episode
BEST GIRL

I cannot choose between Senjougahara and Hanekawa. It's impossible.

Yeah, ep.12 of Bakemonogatari is one of my favs of all anime. The whole episode f om start to finish has great direction and uses music perfectly from the background piano solo as they gaze at the stars and Senjougahara talks, to the way the second piano solo rolls directly into the best ED from Supercell. I watch this episode from about min. 14 on from time to time just to soak it all in.

Senjougahara is the bestest.

javac

France continuing to kill it.
The Rose of Versailles
Release Date: 2nd December 2015
Run Time: 880 min
Audio: French / Japanese
Format: Five Disc-set (5BDs)
Contains:
All 40 Episodes
128 Page Book

dLhZIKK.jpg

6cpSzNM.jpg

Australia, you alright too:
MONSTER - Complete Series Box Set (Volumes 1 to 5)
Release Date: Available Now
Run Time: 1850 min
Audio: English 2.0 / Japanese 2.0
Subtitles: English
Format: Fifteen Disc-set (15 DVDs)
Buy:
$120.00 AUD @ sirenvisual.com
FhhXERz.jpg

blurr

Yeah, ep.12 of Bakemonogatari is one of my favs of all anime. The whole episode f om start to finish has great direction and uses music perfectly from the background piano solo as they gaze at the stars and Senjougahara talks, to the way the second piano solo rolls directly into the best ED from Supercell. I watch this episode from about min. 14 on from time to time just to soak it all in.

est.

I love Episode 3 a lot, the back and forth between Senjougahara and Araragi in the park, absolutely delightful to watch. Not to mention Gahara's insults.

Jintor

Shirobako 05

Like holy shit this fucking loser is the worst production assistant of all time! holy shit just throw him in the trashheap already, everyone else in this building is competent, even the tantrum throwing director. 空気を読めない。。。like the entire point of a production assistant is to facilitate communication between the various members of the team, and you can't even fucking do that, let alone get a timetable organised...

pbayne

Monster box-set has 15 dvds!

Any reason why they can't put the series on blu-ray? There are tons of older shows that have gotten the blu-ray treatment so it just seems a little odd to me.

Qurupeke

The truth. What a phenomenal episode.

blurr

Shirobako 05

Like holy shit this fucking loser is the worst production assistant of all time! holy shit just throw him in the trashheap already, everyone else in this building is competent, even the tantrum throwing director. 空気を読めない。。。like the entire point of a production assistant is to facilitate communication between the various members of the team, and you can't even fucking do that, let alone get a timetable organised...

here's a funny story, you haven't even met most despicable character, even Tarou is like-able in comparison.

Don't worry guys.

I'm sure if Trigger starts struggling hard enough, the talented people can just break off, and form their own studio.

Jintor

Shirobako 06

For Endou and Miyamori that arc was great, but for fucking Tarou he didn't learn a fucking thing except to palm off all his work onto Miyamori!

Cut was great though. So was Idepon.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ergo Proxy Episode 4:

Still rather enjoying this program but I have certainly been warned this will change, though I change the tune whenever that is supposed to occur I guess. I suppose one reason is I actually like the color palette, or I suppose the lack of color, presented in this series. I know there are some who hate the Gears of War look, especially outside the dome, but that is the point, this is dying world supposedly and the everything that has been presented visually lends a lot of credence towards that aesthetic. Also, I am expecting some pointless navel gazing and this series has it in spades, giving us a fever dream right out of the Neon Genesis Evangelion school of of obnoxious pretentiousness. Still, the main plot still remains in focus and is still retaining cohesion for the moment, once again, I am expecting at some point for this to not be the case, but I will enjoy what I can.

That doesn't seem like a deal breaker in terms of writing and animation though. And at the end of the day, if the new voice actors do a great job what's the problem?

Well, I don't have a large amount of faith in the staff, either, given some of the other shows they've worked on.

But at the end of the day, it just isn't for me. Even if the writing was good, the voices are a dealbreaker. They aren't the voices from my childhood, and I don't think I would be able to watch it without getting angry.

It's clear that tri is not being made with fans in mind, and is just being produced for the otaku demographic without really worrying about appealing to anyone who actually liked Digimon Adventure.

I Can't Believe Sherlok Is A Girl And She Want My Bone
r
s!? #1

Case in point.

I don't know, I'm not sold. First half was kinda terrible. Show, don't tell.

I didnt understand why that 1st image scene had even focused on that part of him, when it was eventually describing the brain. At least when it was done in Sky Wizards Academy it was pleasing and actually relevant plus pantsless.

I watched a bit of Sakurako yesterday, and I really gotta bring something up.

What is it with anime and female characters constantly being a dick to male MCs? Like, I don't just see this with harems and tsunderes. Whenever there's a group of males and females in an anime, one of those females is almost always acting like a jerk to one of the males!

I understand that this sort of thing is meant to be a kind of turn-on for Japanese anime fans, but my problem is that it's everywhere.

What's really infuriating is that the shows that involve all-female casts where men are all background characters are typically comforting, cute, relaxing little shows. With enjoyable characters that have personalities that work off each other.

But whenever a show has one or two male characters amongst a cast of females, everything becomes loud, obnoxious, and unpleasant. Because one of those males is always meant to be a target for one of the female characters verbal and/or physical abuse.

Honestly, I'm really sick of this. I'd love to see a modern anime whose main characters are a male and female duo who aren't at each others throats, and are actually good friends. I'm glad I've got this sort of thing in Hyouka but that's not enough darn it!

PA Works has an upcoming anime in January called Haruchika that has a male and female duo as the leads. Like Hyouka, it's based off a regular novel as opposed to light novel. If anyone here has read those novels, feel free to spoil me on what goes on regarding the two main characters. I want to know what goes on beforehand so I don't end up being disappointed with an obnoxious duo like in Sakurako.

I watched a bit of Sakurako yesterday, and I really gotta bring something up.

What is it with anime and female characters constantly being a dick to male MCs? Like, I don't just see this with harems and tsunderes. Whenever there's a group of males and females in an anime, one of those females is almost always acting like a jerk to one of the males!

I understand that this sort of thing is meant to be a kind of turn-on for Japanese anime fans, but my problem is that it's everywhere.

What's really infuriating is that the shows that involve all-female casts where men are all background characters are typically comforting, cute, relaxing little shows. With enjoyable characters that have personalities that work off each other.

But whenever a show has one or two male characters amongst a cast of females, everything becomes loud, obnoxious, and unpleasant. Because one of those males is always meant to be a target for one of the female characters verbal and/or physical abuse.

Honestly, I'm really sick of this. I'd love to see a modern anime whose main characters are a male and female duo who aren't at each others throats, and are actually good friends. I'm glad I've got this sort of thing in Hyouka but that's not enough darn it!

PA Works has an upcoming anime in January called Haruchika that has a male and female duo as the leads. Like Hyouka, it's based off a regular novel as opposed to light novel. If anyone here has read those novels, feel free to spoil me on what goes on regarding the two main characters. I want to know what goes on beforehand so I don't end up being disappointed with an obnoxious duo like in Sakurako.

Not every show can be as great as Hyouka my friend. I'm still waiting for something to come and surpass it. Maybe then I'll change my avatar. And yeah I have seen that Haruchika show on the Winter's roster and already put it on my "Plan to Watch" list. The art looks pretty good. Synopsis sounds interesting too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom