• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mailbox

I missed it, but you did you like the 20s?

And the OST though...

What's special about this show? Is it the author?

The best way I can describe hunter X hunter is that it's basically the incarnation of what we remember dragonball z to be.

We remember it to have great fights and interesting characters with nice plot points, but if you watch it now it's mostly stretched out fluff most of the time. Hunter x hunger has amazing fights, extremely well thought out, great arcs, and good drama and character progression (if you ignore gon's stupid reversion in the last arc)

LegatoB

So it's time for the official Viz Media release fuck up pool.

Which of the following things does everyone think that Hunter x Hunter (2011)'s release will contain? Bragging rights for the winner:

Replaced music
Edited version sold as uncut
Music changed even in the Japanese version
New openings and endings with the original versions only available as special features
Release abruptly stops 2/3rds of the way through the series with no official statement ever forthcoming
Random name changes that exist even in the subs
One of the endings replaced with a different ending from later in the series for no discernible reason
All the original music there for the first 30 episodes, until they suddenly start replacing music for no reason
Dub produced by Blue Water

Viz Media releases are always such an adventure.

So how many of these screw-ups happened in the past 2-3 years, and how many are from last decade?

I do not want to live in a world where resembling Patlabor can be construed as an awful thing. I'm counting that as a positive.

Tons of shows, both good and bad, already resemble Gundam. It's about time they introduced some variety. Beyond that, I'm quite glad that Orange is working on the 3D for Active Raid since their work on mecha anime has been quite impressive.I don't know anything about IMS, but even if the character animation isn't necessarily great that wouldn't be the end of the world for me.

Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu.
So well, good luck with the animation.

pbayne

What's special about this show? Is it the author?

One of the few recent shounens that actually has character development, The MCs aren't all powerful(in fact they get kicked around all the time) and a sense that the author actually had a plan for progression. Just great story all-around with fun MCs and a great cast of side-characters.

Add in Madhouse's great animation and a killer soundtrack.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Trigger's new anime Kiznaiver official website opened

http://kiznaiver.jp/

That is Shiro Miwa design alright.

Does anyone remember if these Alice facial expressions were in the anime?

She wasn't around much in the anime thus far, but I think all she did was smile, stare, and pout. I don't think she ever made a mad or scary face at someone.

:T

NO, please. Even A-1 would look way better.

Maybe in season 2...sometime in the future

Subete ga F ni nare 1

Introduction episode, and introducing one ugly cg car.
I have no idea what's going to happen, since this episode focus on the protagonist quirk and stuff. One character is rich moe girl, while the other is genius eccentric professor, sociopath genius who was a suspect on a murder case, the narrator, the doormat guy, teasing girl, and no bullshit girl.
OP and ED is excellent, song and animation wise.

So how many of these screw-ups happened in the past 2-3 years, and how many are from last decade?

Most of these things are from last decade (or at least I observed them last decade, I haven't followed a lot of Viz's recent releases, so they may have all been done again on recent releases).

It's worth noting that Viz's recent release of Sailor Moon is an all-time terrible release.

kewlmyc

Which of the following things does everyone think that Hunter x Hunter (2011)'s release will contain? Bragging rights for the winner:

Replaced music
New openings and endings with the original versions only available as special features
Release abruptly stops 2/3rds of the way through the series with no official statement ever forthcoming
One of the endings replaced with a different ending from later in the series for no discernible reason
All the original music there for the first 30 episodes, until they suddenly start replacing music for no reason

These can't be recent. They just can't be. I know the bolded one is their Zatch Bell release which was about a decade ago.

Line_HTX

The best way I can describe hunter X hunter is that it's basically the incarnation of what we remember dragonball z to be.

We remember it to have great fights and interesting characters with nice plot points, but if you watch it now it's mostly stretched out fluff most of the time. Hunter x hunger has amazing fights, extremely well thought out, great arcs, and good drama and character progression (if you ignore gon's stupid reversion in the last arc)

Okay, so it's a legit throwback to those things with decent pacing?

Also, I liked your Rachnera better lol.

STOP BULLYING TRIGGER

Trigger is Hoyerrible. DOH-HOHOHOHOHO!

One of the few recent shounens that actually has character development, The MCs aren't all powerful(in fact they get kicked around all the time) and a sense that the author actually had a plan for progression. Just great story all-around with fun MCs and a great cast of side-characters.

Add in Madhouse's great animation and a killer soundtrack.

Okay, solid gameplan. Very promising.

Maybe in season 2...sometime in the future

Damn... oh well, I'll have to wait.

Symphogear G 5-9
A wild ride so far. Hibiki gets her arm bitten off, turns into black Hibiki, regrow that arm and destroys that monster, and is discovered that gungnir is fusing.and almost killing Hibiki but no one tells her outright so she goes and tries to stop Dr. Ver who is crazy now. Maria's Symphogear buddies then try to climax sing but then Hibiki's climax song takes it and furthers the fusion. Maria turns out not to be Fine but by so chance scythe girl does.With Hibiki's recovery, Miku and Hibiki go a date which of course is where FIS and America are having their negotiations which turn south and then has Miku apparently die and Maria be bothered by killing more. Then they wind up in the middle of the ocean with Maria trying to stop the Noise and Scythe girl stopping Shirabe and finally with a cliffhanger with Miku in a Symphogear. This is insane but awesome

Noragami S2 Episode 2

n8CdlQQ.jpg

Wow, fuck this doctor. Dude is one of those villains that doesn't seem very powerful himself, but is great at manipulating people.

For those of you who felt like Yukine was too hard on Yato in the first season, this episode will probably make the series easier to swallow.

LegatoB

Most of these things are from last decade (or at least I observed them last decade, I haven't followed a lot of Viz's recent releases, so they may have all been done again on recent releases).

It's worth noting that Viz's recent release of Sailor Moon is an all-time terrible release.
I'm no fan of Viz's anime releases, but let's remember to use RECENT examples as our baseline for worrying.

So, yeah, Sailor Moon doesn't bode well, but at least Hunter Hunter's not going to require upscaling, right?

javac

Little Witch Academia: The Enchanted Parade
Release Date: January 20, 2016
Run time: 194 min
Audio: Japanese 5.1ch dts-HD Master Audio / Japanese 2.0ch Linear PCM
Subtitles: Japanese / English / Chinese / German / Spanish / French / Italian
Format: Two Disc-set (1 BD (50GB), 1 DVD)
Disc Contents:
  • Little Witch Academia 1 (26 minutes)
  • The Making Of Little Witch Academia 1 (66 minutes)
  • Little Witch Academia: The Enchanted Parade (56 minutes)
  • The Making Of Little Witch Academia: The Enchanted Parade (46 minutes)

Physical Extras:
  • Original Soundtrack CD
  • Artbook (100 pages)
  • Leaflet
Price: ¥ 8,500 @Amazon.JP
5IABMyY.jpg

Little Witch Academia: The Enchanted Parade Blu-ray and DVD @ Amazon.JP

Replaced music

You forgot "Authored by Subatomic Digital."

Line_HTX

Line used outdated football joke.
Outdated football joke is ineffective.

Your joke would have worked if Hoyer was still on the Browns. I don't claim him or the Texans.

BOOM

Hey man, I was just trying to stay positive from last night. Take comfort in the fact that we're officially worse than you, you damn Browns cat.

Cornbread78

Hey man, I was just trying to stay positive from last night. Take comfort in the fact that we're officially worse than you, you damn Browns cat.

Just think, maybe if you put both TX teams together they could be almost good enough to play the Pat's. Well, they still wouldn't have a QB..

Garo: Guren no Tsuki - 01

I wasn't terribly impressed by this first episode. The dark elements of the first show is still present which I like, and the cheesy stuff that goes with it.
Soundtrack did its job well but I think it had its up and downs to the setting. The trap session had as sort of pink panther vibe, and the candy scene on the bridge felt like something lighthearted you'd hear from the silent era.

I'm not entirely sold on the characters yet, but I'm sure that'll change in the near future. I did like when Seimei had her little enthusiastic moment with the relic, so I hope there'll be more of that in the spirit of Herman from the earlier show. I do not like that one of the main characters is basically a kid this time though.
The new look of the armor bothers me, I'm not sure what they changed exactly and why, but it looks more cheap to me now. The climax of the end fight also felt anticlimactic to me.

A central presence of a Makai Alchemist this early is cool and promising, as I feel it wasn't showed enough about their ability and skills earlier.
Setting wise I think it'll be interesting enough, I can see Mappa doing some sick monster designs with it. Although I think an Aztec setting or something like it would be cooler, this'll do fine I feel.

Line_HTX

Just think, maybe if you put both TX teams together they could be almost good enough to play the Pat's. Well, they still wouldn't have a QB..

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You're almost near the end of E7. Arguably the most emotional final eps I've seen over the span of 50 eps. When're ya gonna get to the finish line?

Actually to play devil's advocate to Viz Media, not all of their recent releases have been botched. Tiger & Bunny's BD's were of good quality and for all the issues I had with Project K, Viz's release of the show was not one of them. Hopefully HxH BD's and DVD's will be of similar quality to Tiger and Bunny and K.

Kagewani 02

It's like episode one, but with a yeti this time.

Did anything from the first episode get resolved?

That heat vision part didn't look that believable by the way.

Will continue watching this because it's short but I'm not blown away by it.

Moaradin

Actually to play devil's advocate to Viz Media, not all of their recent releases have been botched. Tiger & Bunny's BD's were of good quality and for all the issues I had with Project K, Viz's release of the show was not one of them. Hopefully HxH BD's and DVD's will be of similar quality to Tiger and Bunny and K.

Any recent dubs that were any good?

Exalted

Noragami Aragoto S2 Episode 2

Finally a plotline. Liked this episode much more than the first one, since stuff actually hapened.

Yeah, not everything they do is terrible. But Viz is just a big grab bag. With FUNimation or Sentai you can usually be pretty sure what you're going to get (for better and for worse), with Viz, you never really know what it's going to be.

Any recent dubs that were any good?

Both examples above had good dubs though I'd put Tiger and Bunny's dub above K's dub for a variety of reasons. Gargantia also had a decent dub.

Those are the only Viz shows I've seen from them as of late, can't comment on how say, Accel World's dub was like.

Yeah, not everything they do is terrible. But Viz is just a big grab bag. With FUNimation or Sentai you can usually be pretty sure what you're going to get (for better and for worse), with Viz, you never really know what it's going to be.

Yeah, Viz is a complete crapshoot in terms of quality. They're either better than Funimation, or worse than Sentai depending on the release.

This picture makes me think this is going to be the mecha and magical girl combinationi I've always wanted.

However its plot description says otherwise:

Hmm, a mecha anime about a police force that fights crime with giant robots.

Gee, does THAT. SOUND. FAMILIAR?!?!?!?

Wouldn't "powered exoskeleton" be something more like Rescue Police Winspector rather than Mobile Police Patlabor? I'm assuming that robotic-looking thing is human-sized and that magical girl thingie is some kind of a mini anthropomorphic AI or something.

Russ T

Banned
I've put in order in, I shouldn't give them my money but I'm a glutton for punishment and having sick shit on my shelves.

I have historically avoided collecting physical media for anything I could avoid doing so, but I was thinking about starting, at least for blu-rays, because that shit looks better when it's not being streamed.

This has just kinda guaranteed I won't bother, though.

javac

I have historically avoided collecting physical media for anything I could avoid doing so, but I was thinking about starting, at least for blu-rays, because that shit looks better when it's not being streamed.

This has just kinda guaranteed I won't bother, though.

Yeah I have an addiction to buying Blu-rays that come in cool packaging especially those with nice artwork. I'm not a digital person at all, even if something is free to stream I'd still pay £200+ for a nice set from Japan, English subtitles be damned. Too bad 90% of anime sets look like tacky garbage, well maybe it isn't too bad if it saves me some money. I'll double dip for this, but truth be told this set isn't all that awesome either, I just have a bad habit. I'm more than happy with my KS set.

Whereas if I order it everyone will hate me because I'm benefiting from not originally kickstarting it.

Why would anyone hate you for it? Just buy what you want and fuck everyone else.

Russ T

Banned
Whereas if I order it everyone will hate me because I'm benefiting from not originally kickstarting it.

Seems like everyone already hates you for the OP, so you don't have much to worry about there!

U;

Yeah I have an addiction to buying Blu-rays that come in cool packaging especially those with nice artwork. I'm not a digital person at all, even if something is free to stream I'd still pay £200+ for a nice set from Japan, English subtitles be damned. Too bad 90% of anime sets look like tacky garbage, well maybe it isn't too bad if it saves me some money. I'll double dip for this, but truth be told this set isn't all that awesome either, I just have a bad habit. I'm more than happy with my KS set.

I prefer everything in the best quality possible, which for video, means physical media (by and large, anyway). No compression artifacts from streaming, highest bitrate, etc.

Alas, that shit's expensive and I am not a rich person.

DiGiKerot

Nah. I can't even say I particularly hate Trigger for putting a nice edition of it out so quickly, though the comparative quality of the art books kind of stings a little.

Noragami Aragato 02

I am not really feeling this as much as S1. Probably because they are continuing to focus on Yukine and Bishamonten and not Yato so zzzzzzzzz

Shinmai Maou no Testament Burst - 01

Maria shenanigans and smug are the best. No Zest is a disappointment, but more Kurumi is welcomed.
Censoring is once again at least a bit creative in certain spots which I prefer to the steam or light beams!

This looks like peak lewd (aside from TLR Darkness manga) Will watch BD screencaps

Yokai Watch dub 3-4

Even my buddy who said "this looks like a stupid pokemon rip off" is on board with Yokai Watch. This show is just hysterical and the dub is ace. Its refreshing to see a anime for kids dubbed that doesn't feel like it was dubbed for 5 year olds.

SephLuis

Haikyuu S1

I just saw half the season in one sitting because that last game was soooo good.

This anime is really great and I hope S2 is just as good as S1.

Ascheroth

Kekkai Sensen - 12

I liked the ending. I would have been fine with this show having no plot at all and just being random crazy hijinks in the city, but it was nice for what it was.
But one thing: WHY DID THEY NOT DANCE AT THE END? D:

Second season, when?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom