• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SephLuis

These two anime are exactly the same?

Oh, man, looks like I'll try a side by side simultaneous watch.

It's hilarious that they are almost the same.

School setting, has to win a tournament. Main woman uses fire and has red hair. Both are considered underdogs. Suddenly turns into a harem.

It's like both creators read the same fan fiction and started writing based on that.

I give the nod to chivalry because it's more of a true underdog story, but the hentai levels on that are growing at a much faster pace.

Concrete Revolutio Episode 2
download.png

This is such a bizarre show. It's doesn't seem to be character focused at all. We still know almost nothing about our characters, and how they exist in this world. We're getting some info about how this world works, as it appears that despite various sci-fi anomalies obviously existing in this world, the government doesn't acknowledge them. And the people don't seem to know of them either.

I don't know if I like it to be honest. It looks good, it's clearly trying to look stylish, but some of the characters designs feel painful to look at. (Looking at you ghost boy.) Things move at such a brisk pace, that nothing sticks.

But I still feel oddly compelled to watch. Because it feels like it might be going somewhere.

Does One Punch Man really fit into that?

Of course. (NSFW)

A welcome change after the dominance of shows directed towards the male audience for the past couple years. I wouldn't really include Diabolik Lovers and Dance with Devils in that, though.

I suppose the audience for otome game adaptations with self-insert female protagonists is slightly different from the audience for male-dominated shows without female protagonists, but I think there's enough of an overlap to group them together in this context.

yami4ct

So, second Gundam IBO episode was still very good. I don't know how to feel about this. What if this show actually turns out to be good? How will I deal with an actual good Gundam show running?

So, second Gundam IBO episode was still very good. I don't know how to feel about this. What if this show actually turns out to be good? How will I deal with an actual good Gundam show running?

We'll all have to watch Aldnoah Zero again.

So we'll never forget the pain.

The pain of bad mecha anime.

Jintor

OPM 2

mosquito girl's VA was having fun.

not really a fan of the way some of the jokes have come across in the show... the mosquito scene imho was funnier when put against saitama's inner monologue about feeling no emotions, and there was something off about the implementation of the mole-face gag, but it's still okay. I'm really just here for the fight animation which remains amazingly solid.

yami4ct

One Punch Man is off to a great start. Mosquito girl was kinda hawt.

Is the manga still going and how is the quality?

As has been said, original and Murata remake manga are still going.

Art for the Murata remake is astounding, but I think humor wise it kind of flops for me. It has its moments, but overall I don't really find it to be that clever. Still worth reading for the art.

Rainy

Banned
Utawarerumono 2

This show is just really charming. Like the music, story is fairly interesting, and Kuon and Haku have great chemistry.

The manga became mediocre for me after awhile. The jokes get repetitive and most of the characters are one dimensional. The series is decent/average at best.

The art is really great though.

Victory Gundam END

That was pretty fucking good. I'm glad I can finish UC off on a high note and can now move onto AUs. I'll check out G-Saviour some other time.

So, I watched the first episode of Young Black Jack.

And perhaps the show isn't to my taste, but I think there's a bit of a problem with it. And this might just be an issue with the first episode.

But the actual surgery depicted in the first episode seemed too routine for all the madness surrounding it. And I get they can't probably show all the gritty uncomfortable aspects of surgery, but that surgery was spotless and clean. Which makes the side characters freaking out and gushing over the good surgeon seem weird.

K: Lord of the Rings 1

So someone refresh my memory, what was the deal with Shiro and the body swapping thing? I know he has Weismann's soul now, but did the original Shiro's soul die or is he just lying dormant in there somewhere?

Also, should I have watched the movie?

The manga is a webcomic with irregular updates. A manga adaptation of the manga by the guy that made Eyeshield 21 with more detailed art also started which is mostly what the anime is based off of. Both are still ongoing.

And perhaps the show isn't to my taste, but I think there's a bit of a problem with it. And this might just be an issue with the first episode.

But the actual surgery depicted in the first episode seemed too routine for all the madness surrounding it. And I get they can't probably show all the gritty uncomfortable aspects of surgery, but that surgery was spotless and clean. Which makes the side characters freaking out and gushing over the good surgeon seem weird.

Young Black Jack seems to be following the footsteps of the 2004 anime version of Black Jack. In that it doesn't mainly revolve around the surgeries itself but rather the medical drama and moral dilemmas Hazama faces. Each episode contains a overall theme the series tries to convey which is what makes the series very solid. Having Hazama as Medical Jesus is just icing on top so don't expect too much realism being medically depicted. Although some of medical terms brought up are realistic though.

If you really want a gritty depiction of surgery in Black Jack then watch the OVA series by Dezaki. It contains the bloody aspects of surgery and it's more grounded.

Plus you get a manlier version of Black Jack.

Rainy

Banned
The Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls 12

For some reason I never finished the first season (well didn't watch the second yet either), so I thought I would get back into it now since I've been playing the mobile game so much.

This episode was nice since iirc we hadn't had a lot of focus on Minami in the series so far. Anya x Minami is also so cute.

The song at the end (Nation Blue) was so good. This live performance is also great.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Young Black Jack seems to be following the footsteps of the 2004 anime version of Black Jack. In that it doesn't mainly revolve around the surgeries itself but rather the medical drama and moral dilemmas Hazama faces. Each episode contains a overall theme the series tries to convey which is what makes the series very solid. Having Hazama as Medical Jesus is just icing on top so don't expect too much realism being medically depicted. Although some of medical terms brought up are realistic though.

If you really want a gritty depiction of surgery in Black Jack then watch the OVA series by Dezaki. It contains the bloody aspects of surgery and it's more grounded.

Plus you get a manlier version of Black Jack.

that ribbon tho

If you want an interesting medical show watch the Knick.

So someone refresh my memory, what was the deal with Shiro and the body swapping thing? I know he has Weismann's soul now, but did the original Shiro's soul die or is he just lying dormant in there somewhere?

The manga is a webcomic with irregular updates. A manga adaptation of the manga by the guy that made Eyeshield 21 with more detailed art also started which is mostly what the anime is based off of. Both are still ongoing.

You should watch the k movie becuase the second season is a direct sequel to the movie, and they show some clips from the movie in the episode. Movie introduced the green clan and this seasons main antagonist. Plus the movie has best yata and best kuro fight scenes snd music

Original Shiro's soul was probably already dead or assimilated by the Colorless King by the time Weismann got the body.

And yes. A lot of the stuff in second season are built off from the movie, like Anna being the Red King and the Blues holding control of the Slates.

Not that many Western TV shows realistically depict medicine now that I think about it. Shows like House have lots of nonsense in it.

That's why I'm glad Black Jack isn't supposed to be a realistic depiction of medicine because let's be real here most fail at doing so. Although there may be some exceptions.

You should watch the k movie becuase the second season is a direct sequel to the movie, and they show some clips from the movie in the episode. Movie introduced the green clan and this seasons main antagonist. Plus the movie has best yata and best kuro fight scenes snd music

Original Shiro's soul was probably already dead or assimilated by the Colorless King by the time Weismann got the body.

And yes. A lot of the stuff in second season are built off from the movie, like Anna being the Red King and the Blues holding control of the Slates.

Good to know. Will do.

DiGiKerot

I think Empire of Corpses isn't even a completed novel by Itoh. It was something he was writing before he died, and the actual novel is something pretty recent which was completed by Toh EnJoe. He's a pretty crazy scifi writer who also wrote the craziest episodes of Space Dandy, so I'm not surprised that the reaction to it would be very divisive. Lol.

Pretty much - I gather only about thirty pages of the final book were actually completed by Itoh, and the rest was completed by Toh Enjoe based on his remaining notes.

It's one of those films where you kind of can't help but let that colour your perception quite significantly, though - the first third of the film is considerably more intelligent and interesting than the rest of the movie ends up playing out, feeling something like a weird mixture of Indiana Jones and Apocalypse Now, as the protagonist treks into Afghanistan searching for a renegade Russian scientist.

It gets all weird and incredibly pulpy after that, though. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing - I adore pulpy fiction - but it pretty much throws out everything that was interesting about the setting for what is, at best, steampunk-MGS4-meets-Read or Die (just substitute "war economy" with "corpse economy"), and at its more frequent worst, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or Van Helsing. There's still fleeting moments of interest in there, and god damn is it beautifully animated for most of it, but by the time you get to the climax it's devolved into a mess of half-baked Classic literary references and high-school tier ponderings of matters of the soul that make increasing little sense.

I don't know, though. I can't really put my finger on how much of my disappointed with the movie came from the fact that it simply wasn't what I was expecting an Itoh movie to be from having read his English published books, and how much the movie was just bad. Most the other folks I've talked to about it seemed to think it was a bunch of hot garbage as well, but *shrug* possibly a selective sample.

-edit- Though just to be clear, most of the issue with the movie is that it simply has no consistency in anything - tone, setting, theme or narrative. It's all over the place in a fashion that makes it difficult to come out of it and classify it as anything other than incoherent.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not that many Western TV shows realistically depict medicine now that I think about it. Shows like House have lots of nonsense in it.

That's why I'm glad Black Jack isn't supposed to be a realistic depiction of medicine because let's be real here most fail at doing so. Although there may be some exceptions.
That reminds me of this blog: http://www.politedissent.com/house_pd.html

I wonder if MASH got it right. For the episode that ran in real time where Hawkeye is holding a guy's artery together with his hand, a doctor was credited a cowriter on that episode.

Articalys

Aura: Kouga Maryuin's Last Battle

The less idealistic version of chuunibyou, though it probably cranks it a little too much in the other direction from something like Chu2Koi.
Well, a couple of the side characters were a bit shallow, but otherwise I thought the movie was alright.

ibyea

Banned
That reminds me of this blog: http://www.politedissent.com/house_pd.html

I wonder if MASH got it right. For the episode that ran in real time where Hawkeye is holding a guy's artery together with his hand, a doctor was credited a cowriter on that episode.

I like how that blog says this in the final review: "Medically, as much as I complained, let me make it clear once last time that the medicine on House was still miles ahead of every other medical show. Even the bad medicine on House was better than what passed for good medicine on other shows."

Man talk about low standards.

Jintor

I like how that blog says this in the final review: "Medically, as much as I complained, let me make it clear once last time that the medicine on House was still miles ahead of every other medical show. Even the bad medicine on House was better than what passed for good medicine on other shows."

It's like law on tv

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Well, I assume most medical shows are about the doctor's having sex with each other or schmaltzy stories about doctors trying their best and having to deal with patients dying anyway.

Fall anime season was so unappealing that I ended up watching House on Netflix. Im already done with S1.
I started at S4 and on S6. I've never see S1-3, but I'm almost afraid to because I don't know if I can handle the dynamics of the team before everyone quit.

It's like law on tv
The Grinder is having fun with that. Rob Lowe as an actor coming off a successful lawyer drama deciding to become a lawyer in real life and discovering that he just can't yell objection at everyone. lol

wonzo

Banned
komori-san 2

hands down the biggest disappointment of this season. cool kyoushinsha deserves so much better than this completely disjointed short. dropped

Shouta

These two anime are exactly the same?

Oh, man, looks like I'll try a side by side simultaneous watch.

Despite basically having the same setup and character archetypes, Asterisk and Rakudai are pretty different. That actually sort of surprised me after noticing how similar the first ep was. Asterisk definitely has focused more on setting up a larger story and it's world in the first 2 eps. Rakudai on the other hand really made the first 2 eps personal and focused on its main protagonist and heroine leaving the specifics of the setting to the side. It looks like they'll continue to evolve in different directions, at least I hope. The action in both is pretty good too. There's enough in 2 eps that you could do a comparison and highlight differences, probably.

Also despite Asterisk being a bit more harem--like, it's way less pervy than Rakudai is. It's a little jarring because Rakudai's other stuff is really good. It just jumps into that that stuff really abruptly.

Since I'm trying out more than my typical number of zero to one anime this season, I suppose I might as well post my thoughts here too.

One Punch Man Episodes 1-2
I can't really think of anything that hasn't already been said, but I've been loving the show so far and I hope it keeps up the pace.

Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Episodes 1-2
This is my first time trying out a Gundam series and it seems neat so far. I was a little on the fence with the first episode since I was distracted by all of the exposition so I enjoyed the second episode a fair bit more. I think the main characters have a solid amount of potential.

Concrete Revolutio Episodes 1-2
I really don't know what to write about this one, and I'm still not sure what I think of the first episode. The concept of the two time periods could be interesting but nothing is really grabbing me. The second episode was easier to follow, at least. I feel like my general thoughts on this one might be similar to what some people think of Blood Blockade Battlefront, and this is coming from someone who loves Blood Blockade Battlefront. In comparison Concrete Revolutio has been doing next to nothing for me. I'll give it one or two more episodes, but I don't really feel compelled to keep watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom