• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Despite basically having the same setup and character archetypes, Asterisk and Rakudai are pretty different. That actually sort of surprised me after noticing how similar the first ep was. Asterisk definitely has focused more on setting up a larger story and it's world in the first 2 eps. Rakudai on the other hand really made the first 2 eps personal and focused on its main protagonist and heroine leaving the specifics of the setting to the side. It looks like they'll continue to evolve in different directions, at least I hope. The action in both is pretty good too. There's enough in 2 eps that you could do a comparison and highlight differences, probably.

Also despite Asterisk being a bit more harem--like, it's way less pervy than Rakudai is. It's a little jarring because Rakudai's other stuff is really good. It just jumps into that that stuff really abruptly.

Hmm, I see. Looks like I have two things to look forward to. Thanks, Shouta! xieHeh

Also, I saw the insight you gave on GATE. I hope you're right on the mark when it comes back from the midseason break in January.

Jarmel

Banned
Despite basically having the same setup and character archetypes, Asterisk and Rakudai are pretty different. That actually sort of surprised me after noticing how similar the first ep was. Asterisk definitely has focused more on setting up a larger story and it's world in the first 2 eps. Rakudai on the other hand really made the first 2 eps personal and focused on its main protagonist and heroine leaving the specifics of the setting to the side. It looks like they'll continue to evolve in different directions, at least I hope. The action in both is pretty good too. There's enough in 2 eps that you could do a comparison and highlight differences, probably.

Also despite Asterisk being a bit more harem--like, it's way less pervy than Rakudai is. It's a little jarring because Rakudai's other stuff is really good. It just jumps into that that stuff really abruptly.
Rakudai got lewd as all hell at the end of the second episode which threw me for a surprise. It was like I was watching Sister's Testament or whatever.

Defuser

I saw a article on yaroan which amusingly reflects exactly what I was thinking about regarding similar setup the 3 shows,Rakudan,Asterisk and 35th test platoon. The first 5 mins have the MC by accident entering into fanservice and the girls in question were angled on their bootys.

Gundam IBO 02

Probably one of my favorite shows this season, the action in this just gets me pumped! Something that the other shows don't really do for me, OPM comes rather close though ^.^

I'd like to think that there's a potential timeskip later on, I'd be nice to see all these kids grown up, maybe the point of the show is that they're kids though so it's probably just a stupid wish.

That enemy commander guy joins Biscuit's "I'm probably going to die" party, as long he doesn't desert and join the main cast, I hope the latter happens.

------------

There are way too much good shows during the weekend + Monday, I can't keep up anymore lol, would've loved it if everything was more spread over the week but hey, I'd rather complain about too much interesting shows than complain about to no good shows at all.

jQUv245.png

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Well, I assume most medical shows are about the doctor's having sex with each other or schmaltzy stories about doctors trying their best and having to deal with patients dying anyway.

I wonder how different western medical drama with japanese manga/dorama like blackjack ni yoroshiku (not related to osamu tezuka blackjack) or team medical dragon. I've read both manga, and both of them focus on doctor corruption and cricism of Japanese health care. For more idealistic healthcare, there's godhand Teru and saijo no meii. Doctor in small island, there's doctor Koto. Supposedly all of them have medical supervisor to ensure that the procedure are accurate

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Guest Passes fro Crunchyroll:

MPFK9VSEH5M
49L7JXRSJWV
HACNLPCM8JC

not sure how to hide them...
You use the email tags like this
[email=secret content here][/email]

The email tags end up not displaying anything within the post because there's no text between the tags but they still remain so when the post is quoted the quoter will see the tags within the quoted message. For example quote this post to see the hidden tags below this paragraph.

Not that many Western TV shows realistically depict medicine now that I think about it. Shows like House have lots of nonsense in it.
And this is why you should watch more Casualty.

Owarimonogatari - 02

To me this is the easily brightest star for this season so far. 2 great OPs already (yes, even the one from ep2 managed to become better and better on further views). Ougi and Oikura are equally intriguing. As usual, what's a lot of talking has no issue keeping my attention thanks to simply overall great direction and the dialogues themselves are well written.

Most surprisingly I didn't expect the first episode to expand on Araragi's character so much. Just that one episode managed to flesh him out quite a bit more.

I'm enjoying this stuff so much, I may consider giving it a rest for now to watch at the end of the season at once.

e:
Btw. the second OP is rather reminiscent of Dennou Coil's OP, even the voice sounds quite similar.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Super S: Episode 148:

Oh hey, it looks like even the creators have gotten bored with The Amazon Trio because we have finally reached the near end of their arc for seemingly arbitrary reasons. Indeed the first elements of actual plot have also been unfurled since probably the beginning of Super S as they finally introduce Queen Nehelenia and mention her desire to have The Golden Crystal. Indeed, other signs that The Trio are not long for the world include the next quirky miniboss squad waiting in the wings and the current point guards getting actual character development. Well, actually Fish Eye is strangely the only one who gets character depth and growth here as he fall in love with Mamoru and things play out pretty typically as the often do even in the important episodes but The Trio has also learned about the their true nature and why the lack dreams. The episode ends with Usagi befriending Fish Eye in the rain as this is probably the strangest break in a two parter I have seen yet on this show. Strongest recommendation to watch.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Owarimonogatari 2
That was cool. Leave it to Senjougahara to give one good punch to Oikura and then passed out. Ougi seem to be that one person who is there and not there at the same time.

Gundam Iron Blood Orphan 2
Yeah, i can see the comparison with Berserk. Orga is basically Griffith while Mika is Guts. Both of them trust each other and dependent of each other.
OP is great. As expected of Man With a Mission, ultimate music life form created by Jimi Hendrix

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Super S: Episode 149:

Indeed, we have finally reached the last stand of The Amazon Trio and it plays out about as you would expect for the end of miniboss squad to play out really. Fish Eye just happens to discover that ChibiUsa is the host of Pegasus and proceeds to capture her pretty quickly, though in a moment of intelligence he stuffs her away in limbo in order to use as a bargaining chip. Shame that he didn't actually play that trump card instead letting Zirconia get the upper hand and mistakenly believe that Sailor Moon is the real host. Yea, the villain side kind of screwed the pooch here as Hawk Eye is dispatched to seemingly retrieve Pegasus and the power needed to survive Fish Eye fully turns face and escapes to stop the proceedings with Tiger Eye hot in pursuit.

Meanwhile the net quirky miniboss squad sits in the shadows and unleashes their first monster of the week and you know it is significant if I mention one of these. At any rate, Usagi gets ensnared and the usual happens but said MOTW actually gets the glance in what is probably the future iteration of this formula.After that he actually mortally wounds Hawk Eye in the most gruesome sequence since Nephrite way back in season one. Additionally the Dream Mirror of Sailor Moon shatters and this is when the remaining trio members decide to help Sailor Moon because when you are already branded a traitor you might as well help the good guys.The usual happens and The Amazon Trio get redeemed by being made human and then thier souls go off to live in the forest until the time when light shines upon it again. Yea, that sequence got weird. Anyway, this was a decent capper to The Amazon Trio portion of Super S, as they decided to go back to the more redemptive story not seen since Sailor Moon R and it made for a much more interesting character. Indeed, the major flaw here is Fish Eye really was the only beneficiary of actual depth here with the other two just kind of being drag along with the flow. Basically Sailor Moon did this better with The Specter Sisters two seasons ago. Still, highest recommendation to watch.

Yu Yu Hakusho - 10 & 11

These episodes have probably been the most visually exciting of the show so far, that I can recall at least.
Seeing small details that can easily be overlooked, bloom into an advantage makes the whole scenario feel clever and exciting.
I always thought the gun was lame, so this sword is 100 times cooler! While I think my favorite so far of the bunch is Kurama (reminds me of Kurapika duh), Kuwabara is slowly growing.

The Perfect Insider is listed with 11 episodes, as expected I guess. Sometimes I wish certain shows were longer, but I feel like mystery shows are always in a dangerous situation. How do you make the mysteries inticing for 20+ episodes? It's pretty easy to lose your interest halfway through if the writing isn't good. 10+ episodes is nice, but much like what we saw with Charlotte things can get really rushed if the writer tries to jam too much content in. Hopefully this show finds the right balance. I liked episode 1, but it seems to be taking things slow for now. Hopefully this show doesnt turn out to be another Charlotte.

Cornbread78

Eureka 7 ep. 39-41:
Ok, so I got to the famous Soccer episode; it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be, but yeah, it's REALLY out of place. However, I did understood the greater purpose, but it was still a weird way to do it, lol. The Meeting with
Sakura
and Eureka, as well as, Master Norb reuniting with his Love was pretty good overall and gave a great deal of background perspective. I kinda miss the OP and ED already as the other ones were so much better since an Aamazing Grace cover mixed into the OP was an interesting choice... Also, that scene with Holland and Anemone was awful initially and caught me off guard, I hate her, she is such a little twerp...

It's weird/impressive how the show can pull off two tones at the same time between hope and love and fear and despair. They play hand and hand and the show is doing a great job balancing those two themes as once.

The Perfect Insider is listed with 11 episodes, as expected I guess. Sometimes I wish certain shows were longer, but I feel like mystery shows are always in a dangerous situation. How do you make the mysteries inticing for 20+ episodes? It's pretty easy to lose your interest halfway through if the writing isn't good. 10+ episodes is nice, but much like what we saw with Charlotte things can get really rushed if the writer tries to jam too much content in. Hopefully this show finds the right balance. I liked episode 1, but it seems to be taking things slow for now. Hopefully this show doesnt turn out to be another Charlotte.

Since The Perfect Insider is an adaptation of a single novel, 11 episodes should be perfectly fine.

Ace of the Diamond Second Season Episode 28

Second Team is best team. Though on first team Kuramochi senpai and Kanemaru are really good. Best moment was Sawamura and Haruichi, lol.
you betrayed me Haruichi

I wonder if this anime will do all three years of Sawamura time on Seido, because we have like a third potential junior high student interested in Seido (we had two previously).

Line_HTX

Eureka 7 ep. 39-41:
Ok, so I got to the famous Soccer episode; it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be, but yeah, it's REALLY out of place. I understood the greater purpose, but what a weird way to do it, lol. The Meeting with
Sakura
and Eureka, as well as, Master Norb. I kinda miss the OP and ED already as the other ones were so much better! An amazing Grace cover mixed into the OP, now that was interesting. That scene with Holland and Anemone was awful initially and caught me off guard, I hate her, she is such a little twerp... It's weird/impressive how the show can pull off two tones at the same time between hope and love and fear and despair. They play hand and hand and the show is doing a great job balancing those to themes as once.

When I watched it the first time it aired on Adult Swim Action, I also thought the soccer episode didn't belong. I didn't understand what the whole point of that was.

Years later when I bought the complete collection I got to that part again and now I view it as a pretty good episode. It's not bad, but rather it was like the calm before the storm, because I felt this was that episode where you have some fun and game before you enter that point of no return and everything after must be done or else there'd be dire consequences, kind of like near the end of some RPG's lol.

I dunno why, I kind of liked Anemone's quirkiness. She's kind of crazy, but not too crazy.

Is that the code name for onii sama?

Why is there a bird named Papi, in your opinion? :p

Ace of the Diamond Second Season Episode 28

Second Team is best team. Though on first team Kuramochi senpai and Kanemaru are really good. Best moment was Sawamura and Haruichi, lol.
you betrayed me Haruichi

I wonder if this anime will do all three years of Sawamura time on Seido, because we have like a third potential junior high student interested in Seido (we had two previously).

I don't think the anime will do all three years of Sawamura on Seido, since the manga still hasn't done it, but the seeds for it are there with these junior high students.

Cornbread78

Does anyone have a few minutes to proof read my Tales of Zestiria OT? It goes up on Wednesday/Thursday, but need to make any last minutes changes and additions in the next couple days.

Im still in part 1 of the series, since there is still a 60+chp gap :( Been so tempted to check things out in advance but I must resist.

When I was watching the first season I went ahead an read all the volumes of the manga, I couldn't resist the cliffhangers, and now I'm reading part 2 and watching the anime. Don't jump to part 2 without finishing part 1.
I hope the S2 anime can finish part 1 of the manga.

JulianImp

Symphogear S1

This was a show I had never heard about before noticing it in some people's posts in here, so I decided to give it a try. At first I liked how well it managed to characterize Tsubasa and how she had changed after Kanade's death, even though it kind of felt like overly edgy with a couple things. After the first fight I was expecting the show to be musical-ish during battles, but I guess it would've cost too much to record more than a couple songs per girl.

One of the things I didn't like was the way the Finé was handled. When she was introduced, her scene painted her as a crazy naked sadist, and then the show kept making her false identity more and more obvious, until we ultimately ended up getting a Hijacked by Ganon situation where
Finé's conciousness could take over people in order to further her goal of destroying the moon
. Still, she felt like a better antagonist than the ones in S2, so I'd say she was decent and fit her role well.

Hibiki uniting and helping people through being diligent, if a bit careless, was par for the course of shows that focus on the power of friendship, but her non-confrontational stance working even
on Finé
was a bit too much, even though that forgiveness is what set the final action sequence in motion. I liked how Tsubasa slowly opened up to Hibiki as she continually dealt with Kanade's death and her failure to protect her; the other girl's character development felt more forced, but was still okay-ish. The cold open with Hibiki being dead was also weird, since
the epilogue scenes revealed that all three girls were still perfectly fine later on, completely neutering any emotional impact that secuence originally had, IMO.

All being said it was an okay show that was nice to watch, but nothing stood out in particular, sadly.

Symphogear G (S2)

I kept watching after the end of the first season, but I've got to say S2 underdelivered for me.

While S1 had devoted some decent amount of time to character developments that ranged from good to decent, S2 had too many new characters that didn't get enough screen time to make me connect with them. The doctor was too obvious an antagonist right from the start, and he was one of the elements that seriously detracted from my enjoyment of the show. He was just so over-the-top that I couldn't even understand why Mom and the rest would continue putting up with him even after he proved time and time again that he was just a batshit crazy megalomaniac with no desire to help anyone but himself. Maria and Serena's backstory was generic drama and loaded the obvious Chekov's gun that was
Maria using Serena's shattered relic (which still worked fine because friendship)
. To me, the sub-plot of Kirika, Shirabe or Maria
possibly having Finé's soul awaiting to awaken within them and them losing their conciousness forever
was a bit too ham-fisted of a moral dilemma;
the way Finé acted was a bit unexpected
, but then again it was yet another use of a pre-loaded Chekov's gun
(Kirika mentioning that her climax scythe could tear at souls)
to have some not-so-good dramatic scene about
Finé offering up her soul to save her host.

And don't even get me started on the whole
brainwashed
Miku stuff. Seriously, that's the one plot element that I've always despised because it's a brain-dead way to stage a dramatic scene that often feels really forced. I would've liked to see
Miku fighting on her own will with some badly handled abilities boosted by the doctor's serum, putting a strain on herself while trying to protect Hibiki from her gear. Instead, we got the generic "now your best friend is doing my biding, huehuehue!" stuff.

Then the finale had the obvious genkidama of friendship saving the day and powering the girls up. Even if I didn't like the S1 finale all that much, S2's felt worse because the girls' foe was
just a mindless ancient force.

This show also reminded me how much I hate the cop-out trope that climax songs embody. They're basically a get out of jail free card that only backfires when the plot deems it convenient to have a dramatic scene, and even then everybody but Kanade
and Serena
get to sing several climax songs without too many negative consecuences, with the exception being the first time Tsubasa uses hers, which gets her hospitalized for a while. The way the show developed Hibiki and
her gear
's issues further was interesting, even though it was yet another element I'd group with the above trope.

If I had to rate both seasons, I'd give S1 an okay 6/10 and S2 a much sloppier 4/10. I might continue watching later seasons sometime later, but probably not for a while.

High School Star Musical Episode 2
CRITn_sWsAA03yK.png
CRIToFBWIAAt_MP.png

I like their improv play thing going on, Hoshitani was best in it as well as everyones reactions. He really feels like the normal guy among prodigies that has to get there from hard work.

One of the few times I felt all embarrassed watching an anime character on screen, why would one act like that for a role in a play, lol.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Casualty is notorious among doctors for its total medical inaccuracy compared with shows like Grey's Anatomy, surprisingly.

Silent Witness is pretty close to accurate, though.

But it has heart.

Most of the hardcore surgery doesn't actually happen on the show since that all happens "up-stairs" in Holby City. We just see a lot of defibrillation and upping of morphine.

It's harmless fun but saying that I haven't actually watched an episode in some time now.

-------------------

In other news…

DiGiKerot has informed me that AllDaAnime is going to be screening the Love Live movie and some other anime films in London. So who from the London posse is gonna go?
Mo' info here.

lonely

In other news…

DiGiKerot has informed me that AllDaAnime is going to be screening the Love Live movie and some other anime films in London. So who from the London posse is gonna go?
Mo' info here.

I'll be coming down for the day and going to the Comic Con and staying at least for Gundam The Origin and Love Live.

Shouta

Oh man Shouta's post actually making me willing to give the time of day to those two shows when I completely wrote them off.

I'd give them both a watch and see which you like more. Their details are significantly different despite the broad strokes being the same. You just need to be able to overlook the general stuff a little.

Hmm, I see. Looks like I have two things to look forward to. Thanks, Shouta! xieHeh

Also, I saw the insight you gave on GATE. I hope you're right on the mark when it comes back from the midseason break in January.

I'm hoping they'll turn out well but we'll see. GATE should be really good as long as they don't water it down.

Rakudai got lewd as all hell at the end of the second episode which threw me for a surprise. It was like I was watching Sister's Testament or whatever.

Yeah, Rakudai getting super lewd and really awkward was the big minus to ep 2's back story strength. Asterisk doesn't have that level of lewd at all despite the obvious setup. A little bit of T&A but considerably light compared to what seems to be a bit more prominent nowadays. On the other hand, Ikki from Rakudai's response to it is pretty good sometimes, especially in ep 1 lol.

Spoilers ahead. At any rate, Rakudai is very obviously setting up
the prove your worth through fighting through the hard work vs talent axiom. Ikki getting ignored by his own family because he didn't express magical power was bad. However them getting in the way of him training to be a Blazer and changing the requirements to graduate was a dick move. Dude has it rough. Stella compliments him pretty well though because she's experienced similar but from a different angle. Being a genius so much that any and all work she's tried has been ignored because of it? That's probably rough too.

I'm just a little creeped out by Shizuku though...

Asterisk on the other hand is a bit more difficult to pin currently.
They've setup the universe, the various characters, and a mystery to follow but it really hasn't done all that much in regards to actual development. It's hard to put attributes to Ayato just yet aside from him being a nice guy. We do know he's come to Asterisk to find the truth behind his sister which is good. I like that it's a sister instead in this situation. Julis has pretty much the same setup as Stella from Rakudai but it seems she's kind of fostered her situation at the school. So we don't really know about her past just yet. Saya being the friend works well and way better than Shizuku. A bit of self-awareness and self-deprecation goes a long way, lol.

I'm interested in why Julis is being targeted and what happened with Ayato's sister most of all so it has my interest in a different way when compared to Rakudai.

phaze

I mean sure, there is nice amount of thought put into the framing but it's not a thing a that can dramatically change my opinion of the episode. Most of the other things I caught more or less.

That's one of the best E7 episodes. The show does end strongly, but if you don't like that, then I really don't see the rest of the series changing your mind.

I'll probably end up watching the rest like the masochist I'm...

Well, I assume most medical shows are about the doctor's having sex with each other or schmaltzy stories about doctors trying their best and having to deal with patients dying anyway.

I started at S4 and on S6. I've never see S1-3, but I'm almost afraid to because I don't know if I can handle the dynamics of the team before everyone quit.

This is just wrong, S1-S3 were the best seasons of House.
Katanagatari 03

I can only think that Shichika's absoulute (and baseless?) faith in Togame is because of his naivete of never meeting anyone outside his Sister and Father for 20 years. It's probably going to bite him in the ass too, as I'm sure Togame is doing this for a different reason then the one given. The hair in this series is pretty ridiculous. Almost Shiki levels.
[/B]Why.

One of my favorite episodes from the show. Meisai was such a likeable character. ;_;
There was the infamous fight that never happens in the next episode preview.

What you get instead is better. Prepare for
best nee-san

DiGiKerot

In other news…

Mo' info here.

I'll probably actually be around myself, for the Gundam at least. The rest of the schedule depends on other timing matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom