• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful Bones 1

Not bad. Interesting premise, though something feels off about the art. I liked how they didnt shy away from showing dead animals and people though.

Andrew J.

Blood Blockade Battlefront 1-12 END

Saw the final episode finally went up on Funi and decided to marathon it.

Simply put, the best-looking television anime I have ever seen, by a wide margin. The drama can get pretty heavy-handed, but the comedy really landed for me. Definite AOTY contender.

Baalzebup

Maybe the reveal was fake, but for what she did to our MC's will be tough to vindicate..

At the point where ep 6 ends, she is just asking Mahiro a question? You're drawing a rather narrow set conclusions considering all the possible ways the scene could continue from there.

John Blade

Man....this long weekend give me some down time to get though quite a bit of episodes on Rahxephon and Last Exile Fam, The Silver Wing. Last Exile Fam, The Silver Wing is entertaining for now (I am now on Episode 11) but it did loose a bit of the serious touch I love from the original show. Still, it still have the battle scene which is still fun to watch and keep you occupy for a bit but wonder if you can keep this going for long.

For Rahxephon (on Episode 7) it get very interesting and I can see why people call this show a very similar style of Evangelion but doesn't take too serious which I can notice a bit of where I am now.

Also, looking into Blue Seed 2 the sequel soon as I kinda want to get that series done asap. Like I say in my impression, it's an okay show and did have some interested in the story line. Wonder what they will do in the sequel.

Simply put, the best-looking television animeI have ever seen, by a wide margin. The drama can get pretty heavy-handed, but the comedy really landed for me. Definitie AOTY contender.

I wonder if my opinion of the show would have been different if I watched all the episodes back to back, rather than having to wait all those months for the finale.

Cornbread78

At the point where ep 6 ends, she is just asking Mahiro a question? You're drawing a rather narrow set conclusions considering all the possible ways the scene could continue from there.

Well, she was seductively creeping up on Mahiro, so what else would one think? She wanted to look closely for lice on the front of his head? I will apologize if I was just being set up though, lol.

[Urusei Yatsura] - 151
85N4ZhN.jpg
This entire sequence was awesome, a shot from the perspective of Sakura coffee cup to the entire room being flooded with coffee and Sakura being washed away to just her watching it happen in the mirror in the room, ending with a shot of the spilled coffee cup in her desk.
It was one of these mindfuck episodes, and it all happened because Ataru drank Lum's
eyedrops
, why?
Ataru then had a dream that Lum
died because he drank all the soda, he got sad and remorseful, enough to buy Lum a drink the following day.
He's showing his dere side.

Jarmel

Banned
Concrete Revolutio-2

This was exceptionally bad. There was just nowhere near enough time for the friendship relationship to feel even remotely believable. It's just an utter mess of storytelling. There are so many baffling decisions on the storyfront side like why is Aikawa doing the flashforwards? They serve to undercut the ongoing story and also reduce the already limited runtime that the episode director can play with.

Concrete Revolutio-2

This was exceptionally bad. There was just nowhere near enough time for the friendship relationship to feel even remotely believable. It's just an utter mess of storytelling. There are so many baffling decisions on the storyfront side like why is Aikawa doing the flashforwards? They serve to undercut the ongoing story and also reduce the already limited runtime that the episode director can play with.

Yeah their attempt to do a non-linear chronology (well technically it's still linear just in two time periods) is ruining any fucking character progression when we get to see the character in two different instances with no fucking background as to how they got there except for a small introduction in the flashback. Their relationships are entirely based on how they met and where they are in the future. Which is superficial as fuck.

Russ T

Banned
The back-and-forth timeline switching could be done much better, I agree.

It's a shame, 'cause otherwise I'm enjoying the show. The cuts are always so sudden and jarring and while I generally don't have trouble FOLLOWING, it definitely rips me out of the show over and over and over.

):

duckroll

Hey don't say I didn't warn anyone. I've said it before. Aikawa cares more for the concepts and ideas than the actual execution. Character development and natural storytelling is not his forte. Shoving themes and conspiracy hooks down the audience's throat is. :p

I see Jarmel has already abandoned his own OT.

Russ T

Banned
I mean it's about what I expected to happen. As I've said before, I was only initially watching for that dude's rad hair.

Now I'm just watching because it's a fun spectacle. If I wasn't watching it as it was airing, I probably wouldn't bother, 'cause I'd feel more inclined to binge, but I can easily give it 25 minutes every Sunday.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah their attempt to do a non-linear chronology (well technically it's still linear just in two time periods) is ruining any fucking character progression when we get to see the character in two different instances with no fucking background as to how they got there except for a small introduction in the flashback. Their relationships are entirely based on how they met and where they are in the future. Which is superficial as fuck.

The flashforward stuff isn't even enticing. At least with Lost, there was the mystery aspect which gave a reason for the viewers to be engaged. Here we just get some stupid sappy scenes about how the Bureau was wrong. I could understand it being used just for the first episode as a way of attracting viewers but in the 2nd episode it did absolutely nothing other than waste airtime and repeat information the viewers had already figured out.

It's unnecessarily obtuse storytelling that might have worked in a longer format where the show could spend more time in each setting but instead comes off as if the writer has ADD.

Hey don't say I didn't warn anyone. I've said it before. Aikawa cares more for the concepts and ideas than the actual execution. Character development and natural storytelling is not his forte. Shoving themes and conspiracy hooks down the audience's throat is. :p

I see Jarmel has already abandoned his own OT.

I was fair, I went into both Concrete and Garo with an open mind. Garo had a shit opening episode too.

Katangatari 04

CRJ0lOSUwAA1H3R.png:large

Isn't the girl ALWAYS the dominant one in Nisio's works

Onee-san is Taskmaster/Mereum and probably the final boss. I didn't see that coming. An ability like that is only not SSS unbeatable tier in comic books where there is bullshit even stronger then that.

I can see now why that preview fight is so infamous - It's not just that the fight doesn't happen...it's that it WAS the fight.

Simply put, the best-looking television animeI have ever seen, by a wide margin.

Really? I thought it was just above average. Even this year things like FSN UBW, Sound Euphonium, G-Reco and One Punch Man are look better imo.

Russ T

Banned
It's unnecessarily obtuse storytelling that might have worked in a longer format where the show could spend more time in each setting

Yeah this is how I'd describe it, too. Double-length episodes would've worked wonders for what the show's trying to accomplish, I think. Or, hell, maybe even just making the cuts back and forth last longer in general, instead of doing it so often...

duckroll

Well, anime episodes being too short to tell "complicated" episodic stories is something which isn't new at all. Witch Hunter Robin, Darker than Black (even with most stories being two parters!), and even Mizushima and Aikawa's last BONES show - Un-Go. 20 minutes isn't much time at all, and the more you try to do the stronger your sense of narrative editing has to be. That's not a talent the industry is overflowing with. :p

I'm surprised that out of everything I picked to watch based on the posters on AniChart, only 2 were dropped: Comet Lucifer and Anti-Magic Academy. I tend to get burned real bad at the start of every season, but so far so good. I think after all these years I'm finally starting to pinpoint what I know I will enjoy. I didn't expect to enjoy Gundam and OPM as much as I am enjoying them though.

Russ T

Banned
Well, anime episodes being too short to tell "complicated" episodic stories is something which isn't new at all. Witch Hunter Robin, Darker than Black (even with most stories being two parters!), and even Mizushima and Aikawa's last BONES show - Un-Go. 20 minutes isn't much time at all, and the more you try to do the stronger your sense of narrative editing has to be. That's not a talent the industry is overflowing with. :p

Sad but true. D:

I'm so used to 40 minute western dramas now that 20 minute shows are like way too fucking short

I wonder if my opinion of the show would have been different if I watched all the episodes back to back, rather than having to wait all those months for the finale.

It probably helped that I rewatched episode 11 a week before the finale, but even then I missed a bunch of references to earlier episodes and visual details that I only caught after watching the finale a second time. Even though the show's storytelling was mostly episodic, there was still a gradual buildup simmering in the background for most of the episodes until the show finally went all in with it at the end of episode 10.

The completed dub will be a good excuse for me to rewatch the whole series.

Simply put, the best-looking television animeI have ever seen, by a wide margin. The drama can get pretty heavy-handed, but the comedy really landed for me. Definite AOTY contender.

I thought the anime had many storytelling flaws and I thought it was terrible, but I will be rewatching it. Perhaps I wasnt in a proper state of mind while watch. I liked some of the character designs.

Cornbread78

One Punch Man ep.2
Ok, here's a dirty lil' secret. That was so over the top and crazy that it was entertaining as hell to watch. That insect head clearing punch was classic, as well as the "regular" punchvto destroy the beast. Good comedy and action mix.

[Urusei Yatsura] - 152

nOoCiCq.jpg

Lum's cooking gear.
Accidentally Ran makes Kotatsu-neko fall in love with her, because of some love mushrooms she put on an Oden. In the process of stoping his advances, she's ready to destroy the entire town.

Jarmel

Banned
So, I was too tired to discuss Garo: Crimson Moon yesterday due to traveling reasons. Just to make sure that I wasn't being too harsh, I decided to rewatch the first episode of the first season. Yep, turned out I was being too easy on it.
This just felt completely disjointed as well. The cold opening has some construction workers randomly being attacked and the Makai alchemist female lead shows up less than a minute later to fight them. However if she was there or close enough to make her entrance so quickly, why didn't she stop the attack in the first place? There was just no sense of urgency on anyone's part. Even ignoring that quibble, which really isn't a quibble when it's the cold opening of your first episode, it's an unimaginative opener. There's no sense of danger/tension and wasn't informative either.

Then there's the utterly boring episodic story which would have been bad even for Garo S1's earlier episodes. There's no compelling reason to care about any of the characters in the episode and there's no sort of edge to it. It's just bland. Compare that to the first episode of the first season of Garo which established both the main characters and tied a quick story in there to justify the fighting at the end. Here however there is none of that backstory and the episodic material isn't anywhere near strong enough to keep the audience's attention.

Not to mention the big bad of the season randomly popping up like he was in the bushes all along. What the fuck? There's just no sort of lead-in and it happens so randomly that I'm now questioning whether he's the villain of the season. What sort of show makes their main villain just appear like "Hey dude"?

I didn't even get around to complaining about the Scrappy Doo character. Oh wait I did.

Dynasty Daryun #23
Looks, I get that Etoile has main character plot armor, but her fighting scene looked like little kids playing with swords.

Yeah, that's kind a big problem I had with Arslan. The only fights that have any real tension to them are the ones involving Silvermask.

All the other characters are too competent for me to ever feel like their lives are in danger.

Gvitor

Comet Lucifer 02

Ehh, I liked the first one more. I could do with less ~overly happy girl who doesn't know anything~.

One-Punch Man 02

Good God that was great. I wasn't really feeling how the show would move forward with that premise and the pilot didn't really get any laughs from me, but this episode just slayed me. I was laughing all the way through. The soundtrack is also great, the song that played during the beast king fight (if you can call that a fight...) was terrific.

rpmurphy

JK-Meshi! Ep. 1 & 2

It dawned on me that this is probably OT GAF's AoTS.

Struggle Food: The Anime

Can't wait for that cheese and butter sandwich episode.

[Urusei Yatsura] - 153
VXDcYDQ.jpg

No, seriously...what's wrong with Asuka's mother.
She forced her daugther to go on a date with Mendou, used her son as a hostage, attacked him in various ways, ordered her daugther to stop hating man and fought her when she refused. I was happy when Asuka said she wasn't her pet anymore but her mother put her in her place pretty quickly. :(
Lum looked pretty cute in her disguise as one of Asuka's bodyguards, I think it was because of the ponytail.
Ataru hijacking Mendou's body to try to get Asuka was funny as hell. As was Lum finding a tank for Asuka to use in her escape and instead she uses it to make armor and the fight using Ton-chan and Ataru.
And her face when she snuck in her brother futon in the end was so cute.

Mature

[Urusei Yatsura] - 153
She forced her daugther to go on a date with Mendou, used her son as a hostage, attacked him in various ways, ordered her daugther to stop hating man and fought her when she refused. I was happy when Asuka said she wasn't her pet anymore but her mother put her in her place pretty quickly. :(
Lum looked pretty cute in her disguise as one of Asuka's bodyguards, I think it was because of the ponytail.
Ataru hijacking Mendou's body to try to get Asuka was funny as hell. As was Lum finding a tank for Asuka to use in her escape and instead she uses it to make armor and the fight using Ton-chan and Ataru.
And her face when she snuck in her brother futon in the end was so cute.
To be fair, I might have an intense reaction too if my daughter had the hots for my son.

fertygo

Ace of Diamond S2 - 28

Potential Ace Catcher and
Yuki's little brother

Sawamura's 3rd year team gonna be MAD STACKED, or they gonna join after fall's break? kinda confused with the timeline.

Ace of Diamond S2 - 28

Potential Ace Catcher and
Miyuki's little brother

Sawamura's 3rd year team gonna be MAD STACKED

So how has the 2nd season of this been? Though if it's going to keep on running for another year I might keep waiting before I pick it up again.

fertygo

So how has the 2nd season of this been? Though if it's going to keep on running for another year I might keep waiting before I pick it up again.

Show's currently on interesting groove after you get used with a new team, interaction is more fluid without those Upperclassmen figure that seem imposing younger team member, now they're in more equal ground to each other with Captain figure like Miyuki and Kuramochi that clearly less strict at their roles than their senpais.

Yeah its seem this gonna in for the long haul tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom