• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mirai Nikki - The Future Diary

Seems pretty close to the manga. Its a lot of fun if you can deal with a completely fucking psychotic yandere as the heroine and don't question the decisions made by the characters too much. The big twist in the last few episodes is not that bad as far as WHAT A TWIST moments go. Although Yuno trying to kill Yukitera comes off a bit Anakin-like, and sort of invalidates a lot of her (completely insane) character arc.

Seriously, if the entire Second World died and changing everything in the third world was basically fine, why not just stay in the Third World? Seemed to work out just fine for the terrorist girl. Given that at the end either Yuno or Yukitera ascended to literal Godhood, its not like someone could have stopped them.

I'd give it a solid B, maybe a B- for pure dumbness. It's nothing super gripping or smart (its definitely not that), but its pretty entertaining and you get your fill of crazy yanderes.

Make sure you check out the live action tv drama.

NVM forgot that 12 is the one we're waiting for.

Well I freaked out because the guy over at Kyakka stopped translating. Someone did 11, so maybe they will do 12 too once it's out. I'm holding out over here, just like with Soma. I wanna jump straight into the source material, but I know that if I did it I would skip the anime adaptation whenever that came.

Not really, its an unethical anime full of ugly character designs and senseless plot decisions, easily capturing the worst morality decisions of mankind. No one realistic would make the decisions on the show.

Don't bait poor Aqua like this.

Oh shit. Someone on Reddit just translated volume 11 of SNAFU. Oh shit. Oh fuck. Whattado.
Is it some shitty machine translation?

Haikyuu!! Second Season 2:
This show remains a delight. It's nice to see Shimizu getting more development last season. I think she might have honestly talked more in the last two episodes than she did all of the first season. It's pretty good. Yachi is also set up as a pretty entertaining character right from the start. She seems like she'll be a lot of fun.

Seeing Hinata and Kageyama struggling with studying was pretty amusing, especially with just how bad they are at it. I'm excited that we'll be seeing a practice match next. It will be good to see these characters going all out again.

Birds
Camera pan of a school.
Talking
Trip
Talking
Talking
Talking
More talking
Talking
Someone else talking
Playing of an instrument.

Well I have to say that trailer got my blood pumping with all that exciting action.
Don't worry the world didn't need another kyoani show of girls playing instruments but not really.

javac

0644dYp.png
New releases for 10/13/15.
Blu-ray
Beyond the Boundary: Complete Collection [Sentai]
Run Time: 300 min
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 / Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
Subtitles: English
Format: Two-disc set (2 BDs)
Price:
BD @ Rightstuf.com: $41.99
BD/DVD Collector's Edition @ Rightstuf.com: $116.99 (5 Disc Set)
DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $38.99
yzFRYiFm.jpg

CE:
T3vCdVjm.jpg

m2twLJMl.jpg

Ghost in the Shell: Arise: Borders 3 & 4 [FUNimation]
Run Time: 116 min
Audio: English / Japanese
Format: Four-disc set (2 BDs, 2 DVDs)
Price:
BD/DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $29.99
gLiKwKgm.jpg

Samurai Jam - Bakumatsu Rock: Complete Collection [Sentai]
Audio: Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
Format: One-disc set (1 BD)
Price:
BD @ Rightstuf.com: $38.99
DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $32.49
kC34cowm.jpg

Line_HTX

Catching up on the last six pages...

Yet another instance where Kiritobread shocked me considering he rose to prominence by posting every hour everyday even at work.

Like E7, I thought that you saw Death Note already. That had such a big cult following roughly 6, 8 years ago.

Hell, later on, the localization inspired the super exaggerated "I'll take a potato chip.... AND EAT IT!" that was so unnecessary and over the top that some of my friends and I died of laughter at what was supposed to be a serious intense scene.

JulianImp

I was reminded that there were a couple things I felt were wrong with what I've seen in Syphogear so far but had forgotten on my earlier post, so I guess I'll mention them now.

One of my biggest gripes was how the show began looking really dark, but over time I realized that all these scenes were mostly used to look edgy with little to no consequences to neither the cast nor the plot. While lots of unnamed characters died over the course of S1 and 2, the only important characters that died were Kanade (in a flashback) and Finé in S1 and Mom in S2. Stuff such as Finé making the commander drop his guard to nearly kill him, Tsubasa nearly dying in order to stop Finé's pawn, Hibiki's arm being eaten by the nephilim and oh so many other dangerous and/or tough situations that the cast had to endure often solved themselves with no repercussions down the road. This lowered my enjoyment of the show because I knew that all these dark and edgy situations would get solved and then things would go on as if they had never happened in the first place. No one would ever die or get injured to the point the status quo had to change at all, and the only changes that would happen would be for the better.

Then there was the issue of common people with superpowers. While I can suspend my disbelief and accept that syphogear users can do crazy stuff, the commander and Tsubasa's manager were completely ridiculous, with the former fending off Tsubasa's attack with his bare hands and performing other superhuman feats such as splitting the ground with his fists and bouncing on walls and ceilings, and the manager could run on water, jump from it to board a ship, and also use his gun's bullets to bind people in place by shooting their shadows, which makes absolutely no sense when we aren't talking about a syphogear user. Then again, they're only meant to back up the girls, so all they ever get to do is buy some time like the good generic support characters they are.

A special award goes to the military, who continued attempting to shoot noise both seasons despite it probably being common knowledge that they were immune to regular weapons. That was another element that felt bad to me, since it was basically a way to ensure that the only ones allowed to do anything in the show were the symphogear wielders. At least Dragon Ball (not Z) slowly had Goku outdo the supporting cast, but Symphogear looks like later parts of Z, where only saiyans were allowed to do anything while regular characters rest could only buy them some time at best. The talk on phonic gain also reminded me of DB power levels, which are a cop-out when the only way for the audience to know that is for a character to mention whether someone is only using 20% of their power and still winning or if they're going all out and still losing.

Besides all that, the focus on how Hibiki can fix everything through determination and the power of friendship permeates the series in a way that I found grating. In both seasons she managed so slowly win everybody over to her side, including every single antagonist besides the doctor, who was portrayed as an iredeemable asshole the whole time he was onscreen. That element also detracted from my enjoyment of Symphogear, since it established fairly early on that the show's story would always be "Hibiki befriends and saves everyone", despite always wavering in the first couple episodes whenever a new antagonist confronts her about whether she's doing the right thing or not.

While I can understand that this is basically a mahou shoujo show, which excuses its overreliance on the power of friendship, I didn't like how it faked me out on all those tense scenes which were always being solved by negating the dramatic moment and brushing it aside after a short while. Having watched the first two episodes of GX just to see what was going to happen, I see they're going with a rethread of what they've done on previous seasons, only they're almost a six-girl team now. That requires the enemy to be even stronger, so their their powers invalidated the girl's gear early on, which is obviously going to result in them getting upgraded super-ultra symphogear soon, possibly by using whatever the runaway loli has in that box of hers.

/rant

Sterok

Go Princess Precure 36

Minami's parents are about as interesting as their daughter. Important people are invited to the party. This includes superheroes, foreign royalty, and Yui. Minami sort of thinking about becoming a marine biologist/vet/whatever was actually mildly interesting, but it really didn't have much impact.

Cornbread78

Eureka 7 ep.46-END/Final Thoughts:
tumblr_n73hdjXOls1rcy5vdo2_250.gif

I kept it to this image, because it's probably my second favorite episode out of 50 and there's no spoilers there; which is tough to avoid towards the end. Wow.... I mean, there was a time towards the beginning that I got lost along the path of "WTF was going on," but little by little they expand your awareness and give you bits and pieces of the world and it's lore around Eureka and Renton. As you watch their characters grow, it becomes much more than your typical coming of age story story for Renton and his love for Eureka. It's not your save the princess trope or any other cliche' theme. It's not just those two either as there are two other relationships that are followed and developed very well with Talho and Holland, as well as, Dominick and Anenome. As a whole, there is great character developement for many of the characters involved as you can imagine with 50 episodes to go through. The story manages to cut it's own path and ends on such a sweet and bitter note it's tough to explain in words. I guess it goes back to what I said yesterday about the story making you walk the tightrope between hope and despair as it comes to the climax, and that is exactly how it ends. The overall theme of love prevails over anything else, as well as, maintaining that love through a constant barrage of both outside and personal interuptions and how to manage and deal with it. Stand up for your love and believe in your love, that in itself is cliche', but through Eureka 7 it's presented in an amazing way. I can't say I teared up at the end, but I did feel a swell of emotion as it played out and the final scene was perfect IMO. It really was a fittign conclusion to a long journey.

Episode 26, Episode 48 and Ep. 50 by far my favorite episodes as they really nailed the themes of the show and are some of my favorite episodes in all of anime. The music was also amazing through not only the final couple episodes, but from OPs, EDs and background scores. As a whole package, the composer did an amazing job encapsulating the world of Eureka 7 through music.

Amazing ED.

https://youtu.be/9gZYC4usTps

javac

U8HzKrq.png
New releases for 12/10/15.
Blu-ray
Puella Magi Madoka Magica The Movie: Part 1 and Part 2 [Manga]
Audio: Japanese
Format: Two-disc set (2 BDs)
Price:
BD @ Amazon.co.uk: £29.99
PErFdtfm.jpg

DVD
Puella Magi Madoka Magica The Movie: Part 1 - Beginnings [Manga]
Run Time: 131 min
Format: One-disc set (1 DVD)
Price:
DVD @ Amazon.co.uk: £15.99
T887O7em.jpg

Puella Magi Madoka Magica The Movie: Part 2 - Eternal [Manga]
Run Time: 110 min
Format: One-disc set (1 DVD)
Price:
DVD @ Amazon.co.uk: £15.99
bzRgxE6m.jpg

Cornbread78

Now the movie and sequel await you.
Sato really is a fantastic composer though. It's a shame he doesn't do more.

there is no sequel

I'm so happy I didn;t completely screw the show up for myself by watching the first 6 episodes of AO, instead of Eureka 7 to start things off. Is AO really that bad on teh whole? I almost want to watch it now that I have a better understanding of the backstory behind it...

Finally, Eureka Seven gets some more love in here!
Waaaaaaayyyy better than SAO and Clannad, right Cornbread? :D
What is this "sequel" that you speak of? There is no such thing.

Your pushing it with it being better than Clannad, lol. It was amazing, but I can't put it there since Clannad hits much closer to home with it's themes.

You know, it's funny reading through my summaries at times because it's often hard to remove emotion when typing something lik eI do for work on a daily basis and I'm often multitasking, so my grammer is a mess, lol. I could go back through that and retype the whole damn thing with grammer and spell check and still find mistakes..

Eureka Seven is one of the few works that takes the power of love trope, and actually makes it work in a way that's believable to the story.

Now, you just have to watch the sequel Cornbread!
1409453963_1386917171_cnfq8x_7l36nqo.gif

Jarmel

Banned
I guess it goes back to what I said yesterday about the story making you walk the tightrope between hope and despair as it comes to the climax, and that is exactly how it ends.

It's funny you mention that as that wasn't really something I thought about when watching the show. However the released version of the final episode is significantly different in tone compared to the original version. The original version of the final episode was
something closer to a tragic love in that Nirvash doesn't save the day.
The actual title of the show is based on the scrapped version of the final arc.

I haven't read any interviews that went into why they changed their minds but I'm fairly glad they did.

I'm so happy I didn;t completely screw the show up for myself by watching the first 6 episodes of AO, instead of Eureka 7 to start things off. Is AO really that bad on teh whole? I almost want to watch it now that I have a better understanding of the backstory behind it...

ABORT. Trust me, you do not want to watch AO. It's horrible.

The volume covers the same material the last two episodes covered. It's nothing new. Nothing of worth was skipped though, just minor conversations with minor characters.

I'm halfway though reading it. It's legit.
So chapter 12 is when the new material is going to start rolling out. Is there an ETA on it in Japan? The faster these come, the faster we will get our last season/OVA for the show.

Cornbread78

It's funny you mention that as that wasn't really something I thought about when watching the show. However the released version of the final episode is significantly different in tone compared to the original version. The original version of the final episode was
something closer to a tragic love in that Nirvash doesn't save the day.
The actual title of the show is based on the scrapped version of the final arc.

I haven't read any interviews that went into why they changed their minds but I'm fairly glad they did.

I gotta say, even with the outcome and the way it's presented, it's 100x more satisfying than TTGL...

Line_HTX

tumblr_n73hdjXOls1rcy5vdo2_250.gif

I kept it to this image, because it's probably my second favorite episode out of 50 and there's no spoilers there; which is tough to avoid towards the end. Wow.... I mean, there was a time towards the beginning that I got lost along the path of "WTF was going on," but little by little they expand your awareness and give you bits and pieces of the world and it's lore around Eureka and Renton. As you watch their characters grow, it becomes much more than your typical coming of age story story for Renton and his love for Eureka. It's not your save the princess trope or any other cliche' theme. It's not just those two either as there are two other relationships that are followed and developed very well with Talho and Holland, as well as, Dominick and Anenome. As a whole, there is great character developement for many of the characters involved as you can imagine with 50 episodes to go through. The story manages to cut it's own path and ends on such a sweet and bitter note it's tough to explain in words. I guess it goes back to what I said yesterday about the story making you walk the tightrope between hope and despair as it comes to the climax, and that is exactly how it ends. The overall theme of love prevails over anything else, as well as, maintaining that love through a constant barrage of both outside and personal interuptions and how to manage and deal with it. Stand up for your love and believe in your love, that in itself is cliche', but through Eureka 7 it's presented in an amazing way. I can't say I teared up at the end, but I did feel a swell of emotion as it played out and the final scene was perfect IMO. It really was a fittign conclusion to a long journey.

Episode 26, Episode 48 and Ep. 50 by far my favorite episodes as they really nailed the themes of the show and are some of my favorite episodes in all of anime. The music was also amazing through not only the final couple episodes, but from OPs, EDs and background scores. As a whole package, the composer did an amazing job encapsulating the world of Eureka 7 through music.

Amazing ED.

https://youtu.be/9gZYC4usTps

You fucking did it! So glad you experienced the ups and downs of this show. When I rewatched this, I definitely believed and felt that it's way better than SAO and After Story. So glad this show was my very first purchase.

Heh heh heh heh... >:D

Now the movie and sequel await you.

Sato really is a fantastic composer though. It's a shame he doesn't do more.

One day I heard that the movie theater near my house was going to have a one night only showing of the "movie." At the time I was pissed that missed out because I forgot about it.

BOY AM I GLAD I MISSED THAT NIGHT.

Cornbread78

He deserved
Nia
dammit. I was pissed the way that played out after the
wedding
. It just didn't feel right or seem fair... That was like the second anime I ever watched too.

Now the question is what to watch now with that kinda impact, lol.

kewlmyc

So chapter 12 is when the new material is going to start rolling out. Is there an ETA on it in Japan? The faster these come, the faster we will get our last season/OVA for the show.

Nope, sorry. :/

Volume 11 just came out in June. Maybe we'll get a new one early next year.

If you're bored, seek out Volume 10.5. It's full of material that didn't get animated, like Hikki's date with Iroha.

TTGL's 'epilogue' is the ultimate buzzkill.

Huh... I don't know... despite some lulls, I kind of enjoyed the epilogue, even if it was bittersweet...

He deserved
Nia
dammit. I was pissed the way that played out after the
wedding
. It just didn't feel right or seem fair... That was like the second anime I ever watched too.

Now the question is what to watch now with that kinda impact, lol.

TTGL is my favourite show of all time, even with this ending.

Yes,
Nia shouldn't have evaporated like that. It's a downer.

But in a way, that ending shows just how far Simon had come since the beginning of the series. It didn't end with
then screaming in dismay, it ended with them taking the whole thing in stride, which I never saw in an anime before when I watched it.

Also Cornbread you want a show that has a good impact? Watch G Gundam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom