• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

first ep....

so the majority
of the episode was a flashback?

More there's a present day where things are going down and you get to see flash forwards into the future that hint at the direction of the show or the result of events in an episode.

duckroll

Wait, why is everyone starting Concrete Revolutio when duckroll recommends it?

I championed it for weeks!

I'm shocked that I don't have more clout here!

Shocked!

Well, not that shocked.

I don't want to believe that it's just because -I- am recommending it, but rather how I tend to recommend stuff. I encourage others who like it to talk about it more, and in doing so I try to create an environment which makes it more exciting for others thinking of picking it up to join in and watch so they can talk about it.

It's how Yamato 2199 won AOTY! :)

I don't think Voyager even released the entire series internationally.
just double checked the prize I had in my head. The ones I saw are the imports of the Japanese releases, 80 bucks a pop.

Edit: I guess the few English release are better but at 45 bucks for what I assume is the same amount of episodes it's not a steal necessarily.

duckroll

New Ghost in the Shell Movie

Solid film which should please most fans of the franchise whether you're a long time fan, a Stand Alone Complex convert, or a fan of the recent Arise OVAs. Personally I thought Arise was really disappointing after the first entry, so it was pretty surprising that they managed to cap it off with a good movie. What I liked about it was that it really distilled the most appealing parts of GitS and made a tight focused movie that felt like a movie. Art and animation was above average, there are good set pieces which had a lot of effort put into them, and it flows well as an exciting techno thriller with lots of moving parts, while presenting a number of easy to follow action sequences which really show off the team work element of the Major's unit.

The conspiracy story was rather needlessly complex in the actual writing, and the explanations kinda drone on in some of the talkie scenes. Thankfully there isn't that much of that, and at the core the philosophy of the conspiracy makes sense and while I still don't like how it ties a bit too neatly into the Major's past in this new continuity, it isn't really something that is overused thematically. The movie is really well directed, and there's some great use of the soundtrack as well. The integration of CG into the action is also really well done, with solid CG animation, but that's to be expected from Orange these days.

I would recommend this to anyone to liked the first GitS movie, GitS SAC, or the first episode of Arise. But if you're looking for specifically something which has something really meaningful to say like some of the more philosophical episodes of SAC or GitS2, you'll probably be disappointed.

Looks interesting.

I can't wait for it to disappoint me on every level.

From the New World Episode 12
download.png

I look similar when watching Garo Crimson Moon.

Huh, so here we have this horrible horrible society, and
and the people running it seems perfectly sane.

They're not mustachio twirling villains.

That said, fuck this society.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh god the Asia Pacific Expo in GliFor is something else. The way they try to hack together a localized version of that arc is amazing. I almost wish there was some place in America that decided to rebuild Kyoto just for shits and giggles... heck, we've already seen rich Chinese try to rebuild Western cities. lol

I wonder what the thinking is though... that children can't handle the foreign nature of these stories? If these girls aren't "American" then they're suddenly not identifiable? I wonder if they are Spanish kids in the Spanish dub of the show.

Edit: Oh wow, the adults that help out during the trip are "chaperons" because in America, adults would never just randomly help children. lol

Looks interesting.

From the New World Episode 12

Huh, so here we have this horrible horrible society, and
and the people running it seems perfectly sane.

They're not mustachio twirling villains.

That said, fuck this society.

Thing is, this society isn't entirely unjustified in their actions, but more on that later.

Young Black Jack END

Man, what an episode, I even got a bit teary-eyed at the climax. The previous arc wasn't really that good in my opinion so it was nice that they wrapped the series up with a more basic story that gives us a taste of everything the show has to offer.

In the end, I really enjoyed the series, partially because of it's ridiculous nature but especially with this last episode I can also say that the normal formula of the show really appeals to me, Hazama is just such a cool, confident character that lets nobody mess with him and the different operations that he has to perform all have some interesting twists to them.

Will definitely check out the other Black Jack series if they're more like this final episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh, now I know why GliFor has different/new CG dance endings - they are promoting "Blush", the group that sings all the songs. lol

Also - Blush debuted in 2010. The Pan-Asian group consists of Angeli Flores and Nikita Vecino from the Philippines, Natsuko "Nacho" Danjo from Japan, Alisha Budhrani from India, and Victoria “Queen V” Chan from China - which feels so cynical for some reason. lol

duckroll

Looks interesting.

FWIW this is being adapted by Taku Kishimoto who is a really talented new-ish adaptation writer in the industry. He was responsible for the scripts in Bunny Drop, both seasons of Silver Spoon, and both seasons of Haikyu. He also worked on the Sinbad OADs for Magi, and will be handling the Sinbad TV series as well. Aside from Erased, he's also writing Prince of Stride Alternative next season, and in April he'll also be writing Production IG's Joker Game.

DiGiKerot

Oh god the Asia Pacific Expo in GliFor is something else. The way they try to hack together a localized version of that arc is amazing. I almost wish there was some place in America that decided to rebuild Kyoto just for shits and giggles... heck, we've already seen rich Chinese try to rebuild Western cities. lol

I wonder what the thinking is though... that children can't handle the foreign nature of these stories? If these girls aren't "American" then they're suddenly not identifiable? I wonder if they are Spanish kids in the Spanish dub of the show.

Edit: Oh wow, the adults that help out during the trip are "chaperons" because in America, adults would never just randomly help children. lol

I'm thinking the fact that Western media takes great pains to suggest that taking candy from strangers is a real bad idea is behind a lot of that last point, but, yeah, that already amusing arc was made waaaaay amusing by all the stretches they had to make for justification.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm thinking the fact that Western media takes great pains to suggest that taking candy from strangers is a real bad idea is behind a lot of that last point, but, yeah, that already amusing arc was made waaaaay amusing by all the stretches they had to make for justification.
Localization is fun. lol
It makes me doubt the transfer student episode will make it over, unless they make him French or something and somehow can find a way to make her run a pizza place. Boo. lol

Bandwagon effect is real. It's like how Jexhius damned many souls with Upotte! or how sonicmj1 convinced me to watch NGNL.

Sonicmj1 convinced people to watch No Game No Life? I expected better of him.

Hah, that's a well done trailer, even if it looks to be preanimated.

Looks like along with that new Monthly Boruto series there's going to be some Itachi anime?

edit: might be a movie i guess

milk that shit

The Boruto manga might be good if they decided to focus on the father-son relationship between him and Naruto like the movie did. But I doubt they will.

That reminds me, I forgot to mention this earlier, but when I watched Boruto I was surprised at the level of technology in Naruto's world. I had always assumed it was basically on the level of medieval Japan, probably because of the ninja focus, but nope, it's modern Japan with a bunch of fantasy/earlier Japanese elements tacked on. It caught me off guard.

New Ghost in the Shell Movie

Solid film which should please most fans of the franchise whether you're a long time fan, a Stand Alone Complex convert, or a fan of the recent Arise OVAs. Personally I thought Arise was really disappointing after the first entry, so it was pretty surprising that they managed to cap it off with a good movie. What I liked about it was that it really distilled the most appealing parts of GitS and made a tight focused movie that felt like a movie. Art and animation was above average, there are good set pieces which had a lot of effort put into them, and it flows well as an exciting techno thriller with lots of moving parts, while presenting a number of easy to follow action sequences which really show off the team work element of the Major's unit.

The conspiracy story was rather needlessly complex in the actual writing, and the explanations kinda drone on in some of the talkie scenes. Thankfully there isn't that much of that, and at the core the philosophy of the conspiracy makes sense and while I still don't like how it ties a bit too neatly into the Major's past in this new continuity, it isn't really something that is overused thematically. The movie is really well directed, and there's some great use of the soundtrack as well. The integration of CG into the action is also really well done, with solid CG animation, but that's to be expected from Orange these days.

I would recommend this to anyone to liked the first GitS movie, GitS SAC, or the first episode of Arise. But if you're looking for specifically something which has something really meaningful to say like some of the more philosophical episodes of SAC or GitS2, you'll probably be disappointed.

Glad you liked it. I agree that it isn't particularly thematically rich, and it isn't rich in atmosphere either the way Oshii's films are, but I enjoyed it more than Innocence and certainly more than Solid State Society. The writing could have made the whole thing creak if a less talented director had been handling it, but fortunately Kazuya Nomura is strong enough to make the visuals do a lot of the explaining, and thus I had no problems with the script. I really liked that it focused on giving every member of the proto-Section 9 team something to do at all times, which made it feel like more of an ensemble story than past GitS entries have often been. Of course, the highlight is the strongest action storyboards I've seen this side of Masahiro Ando, and it has made me want to watch Sengoku Basara and hopefully look forward to Joker Game.

Does Las Vegas have something like that? That's the one place I could see doing it, since they already have miniature recreations of world landmarks.

Yeah, the intent behind a lot of English anime dubs aimed at children is to hide the Japanese origins as much as possible, probably because they feel that it'll be less immediately appealing if there's a foreign culture barrier. The old Sailor Moon dub was the same way. The recent Youkai Watch dub too changes all the characters' names to American-sounding ones ("Nate"), although it otherwise doesn't do much to hide the Japanese nature of the setting.

FWIW this is being adapted by Taku Kishimoto who is a really talented new-ish adaptation writer in the industry. He was responsible for the scripts in Bunny Drop, both seasons of Silver Spoon, and both seasons of Haikyu. He also worked on the Sinbad OADs for Magi, and will be handling the Sinbad TV series as well. Aside from Erased, he's also writing Prince of Stride Alternative next season, and in April he'll also be writing Production IG's Joker Game.

Yep, Taku Kishimoto has done great work so far. I'm particularly interested to see what he does for Prince of Stride Alternative. Since that's a game adaptation, it'll probably be the hardest writing challenge he's had to tackle yet.

duckroll

Glad you liked it. I agree that it isn't particularly thematically rich, and it isn't rich in atmosphere either the way Oshii's films are, but I enjoyed it more than Innocence and certainly more than Solid State Society. The writing could have made the whole thing creak if a less talented director had been handling it, but fortunately Kazuya Nomura is strong enough to make the visuals do a lot of the explaining, and thus I had no problems with the script. I really liked that it focused on giving every member of the proto-Section 9 team something to do at all times, which made it feel like more of an ensemble story than past GitS entries have often been. Of course, the highlight is the strongest action storyboards I've seen this side of Masahiro Ando, and it has made me want to watch Sengoku Basara and hopefully look forward to Joker Game.

I'm excited to see what Kazuya Nomura and Taku Kishimoto can do together, especially with an award winning mystery novel about Japanese military spies pre-WW2. There's so much potential here.

Grexeno

Spring this year is fucking jam-packed. Diamond is Unbreakable, My Hero Academia, and Ace Attorney all at the same time? BRB freezing myself till April.

Qurupeke

I think I need a few new anime to watch these days, as most of the stuff I watched is ending and I'll have a lot of free time the next couple of weeks. Mostly interesting in stuff that aired this year to build my AOTY list(even though it's pretty much already decided). I was thinking of going for Soma, but is there anything else that aired this year and I should watch?

I think I need a few new anime to watch these days, as most of the stuff I watched is ending and I'll have a lot of free time the next couple of weeks. Mostly interesting in stuff that aired this year to build my AOTY list(even though it's pretty much already decided). I was thinking of going for Soma, but is there anything else that aired this year and I should watch?

Not sure what you've watched, but it's worth checking out:

When Marnie Was There
Animator Expo
Ghost in the Shell: New Movie
Aki no Kanade
Shashinkan
Hinata no Aoshigure
Miss Hokusai
Gundam the Origin
Yamato 2199: Odyssey of the Celestial Ark
Typhoon Noruda
The Case of Hana and Alice
Kagewani
Teekyuu
Shounen Hollywood
Ushio and Tora
Sore ga Seiyuu
Sound! Euphonium
Houkago no Pleiades
Non Non Biyori Repeat
Haikyuu S2
Osomatsu-san
Fushigi na Somera-chan

Well, what shows did you watch?

if you haven't already, Wakako-Zake (and a bunch of other short animes) are probably worth a try.

Qurupeke

When Marnie Was There
Animator Expo
Aki no Kanade
Shashinkan
Hinata no Aoshigure
Miss Hokusai
Gundam the Origin
Typhoon Noruda
Kagewani
Teekyuu
Shounen Hollywood
Ushio and Tora
Sore ga Seiyuu
Sound! Euphonium
Houkago no Pleiades
Non Non Biyori Repeat
Haikyuu S2
Osomatsu-san
Fushigi na Somera-chan

Well, what shows did you watch?

if you haven't already, Wakako-Zake (and a bunch of other short animes) are probably worth a try.

Oh yes, I thought I was forgetting something... http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Qurupeke

That's quite a lot to check, even though I'm not sure I want to start something that's part of a series, like Gundam for example.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They should close the circle and make him Italian!
Yes. lol

Also another detail that I noticed is that Saban is planning to release a GliFor album, which also explains why they are pushing Blush so hard. I wonder if there's some weird synergy going on, like Saban has a music division and Blush is one of their idol groups.

When Marnie Was There
Animator Expo
Aki no Kanade
Shashinkan
Hinata no Aoshigure
Miss Hokusai
Gundam the Origin
Typhoon Noruda
Kagewani
Teekyuu
Shounen Hollywood
Ushio and Tora
Sore ga Seiyuu
Sound! Euphonium
Houkago no Pleiades
Non Non Biyori Repeat
Haikyuu S2
Osomatsu-san
Fushigi na Somera-chan

Heh. Just kind of amusing that those are the only ones I watched this year.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Nisemonogatari Episode 6:

I see another thing they really amped up is the ponderous and circular conversations this series is really fond of this season. It is really inconsistent about it as well as sometimes the subject matter is really deep and complicated and serves indeed complements the dialog rather well. Other times it takes them five god damned minutes for them to say shit that isn't that damned complicated to spell out like what this episode had in spades. Still, I think the worst conversations are the ones that undercut any sense of urgency they are trying to build up because they can't get to the damn point.

Sonicmj1 convinced people to watch No Game No Life? I expected better of him.

No Game No Life was a 9/10 show that became a 7/10 thanks to the legitimately uncomfortable amount of fanservice, specifically of super underage characters.

I absolutely love that show but I always temper recommendations of it because the fan-service is even unsettling to me and I have a pretty huge thresh-hold for that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom