• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kind of wondering what people think it is. I'm desensitised enough to not be creeped out (otherwise I would have stopped watching).

See, that is one of the things about Monogatari here, its low points are not that far removed from the median sexuality on display.

Qurupeke

Kind of wondering what people think it is. I'm desensitised enough to not be creeped out (otherwise I would have stopped watching).

For me it's gotta be Tsukihi's bath time with Araragi. There are some others scene that made me feel weird too though, like Shinobu's bath... Taking a bath in this anime is just an excuse for naked creepiness.

Also, I feel about the same. After Hachikuji's arc, I actually did stop for a bit to watch the series, but eventually I got back. If it wasn't for episodes like 12 and me wanting to reach Koimonogatari, I'm not sure if I was able to continue this. At least, Nise had some really enjoyable moments without extreme fanservice, like Karen's battle with Araragi. This was so over the top that I loved it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
For me it's gotta be Tsukihi's bath time with Araragi. There are some others scene that made me feel weird too though, like Shinobu's bath... Taking a bath in this anime is just an excuse for naked creepiness.

Also, I feel about the same. After Hachikuji's arc, I actually did stop for a bit to watch the series, but eventually I got back. If it wasn't for episodes like 12 and me wanting to reach Koimonogatari, I'm not sure if I was able to continue this. At least, Nise had some really enjoyable moments without extreme fanservice, like Karen's battle with Araragi. This was so over the top that I loved it.

For me the highlight was episode 7 with Hitagi and Koyomi confronting Kaiki, a keen reminder that for all the longwindedness this series does operate at a cut above a lot of other anime I have seen.

phaze

Not even surprised at this news.

Shinobu bath in Nise #4 was always much worse to me. And Tsuki ...

But you'll be relieved to know that Owarimonogatari is pretty much (surprisingly) devoid of these things.

First 20 minutes of Tsuki, Nise #4.

Kyoukai no Kanata 10
sunfl6yspg.jpg
I really didn't expect this show t
o pull a Madoka #10 on me. And that goddamn OP
... I take back the bad things I said about this twist. It makes more sense than it appeared to at the first glance and though I'm still iffy on a few details, this episode did very well to fill in the blanks and to show a few preceding scenes in a much different light. It also had that very neat, palpitate sense of unease. You knew something was very wrong here but you couldn't quite guess what. Even with the juxtaposition of the summer and winter scenes.

Crucify me all you want but I've genuinely been enjoying this show so far. The one thing that I bothers me a bit is the relative sparsity of close quarter combat and the somewhat disappointing choreography when they do transpire like in #2 and #7 but the rest of show is helluva pretty and the effects animation is to die for. And apparently the best is yet to come. DullAni da gawds.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I was more bored with Nise episode 4 mainly because at this stage Shinobu is the most boring character.

fertygo

Nothing was more fucked than the Nadeko exorcism scene in Bakemonogatari tbh, that's the actual low-point of the series.

no one say much about that scene because no one able to watch shit because its literal slideshow when it first airing

The toothbrush scene isn't as much creepy as it's hilarious. Like, damn people, how could you possibly watch that scene and not realize that you're purposely being fucked with.

I'm infinitely more creeped out by just about every average trash anime's overly brotherly infatuated imoutos where they play this crap straight.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The toothbrush scene isn't as much creepy as it's hilarious. Like, damn people, how could you possibly watch that scene and not realize that you're purposely being fucked with.

I'm infinitely more creeped out by just about every average trash anime's overly brotherly infatuated imoutos where they play this crap straight.

It is basically the most epic iteration of the accidental pervert trope routine I have ever seen.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Yeah, it's so over the top that it's ridiculous. Plus it's used in the context of their verbal jousting anyway.

It actually reminds me of this from Scrubs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH_TGLJ6sBA

Ascheroth

Asterisk - 12 (season 1 end)

The fight was great. Great use of the soundtrack and the art style shift during the final attack was neat.
I sure like the purple-centric color palette they've going for the powers and special effects.
Now that the cat's out of the bag, Ayato and Julis have a huge disadvantage for the upcoming fights.

The last third was pretty much set-up for the next season, showing a lot of new faces and something about Ayatos sister.
Next season should be pretty cool now that we've moved up from the fodder fights into serious battles.

In the end I wouldn't call it great but it was pretty entertaining throughout and doesn't leave a bad aftertaste after watching like Cavalry does.

Cavalry - 12 (end)

I really like the use of camera in this show and the black and whitish color changes during lasts and this weeks episode are pretty cool.
I think Cavalry is more 'intense' then Asterisk, it does a damn good job at riling up the viewer with the unfair treatment of Ikki.
But that's also my biggest problem with it at the same time, especially during the last 2 episodes. Because the whole situation with the interrogation and all is just completely contrived bullshit.

What probably infuriates me the most is that they always introduce him as the Worst One, even after the dude has what? Made it into the FINALS of the shool tournament after defeating over a dozen others. I don't even.

The fight against Toka was okay. A long drawn-out intense battle would have been nice, but completely impossible and unbelievable with the setup. What we got was already barely believable.

L.O.R.D

Valkyrie Drive 11

well , it's finally happened , the episode that everyone waiting for O__0

Metal Gear , yugioh 5D's , NTR , mind break

anime of the generation.

Exalted

Asterisk - 12 (season 1 end)

The fight was great. Great use of the soundtrack and the art style shift during the final attack was neat.
I sure like the purple-centric color palette they've going for the powers and special effects.
Now that the cat's out of the bag, Ayato and Julis have a huge disadvantage for the upcoming fights.

The last third was pretty much set-up for the next season, showing a lot of new faces and something about Ayatos sister.
Next season should be pretty cool now that we've moved up from the fodder fights into serious battles.

In the end I wouldn't call it great but it was pretty entertaining throughout and doesn't leave a bad aftertaste after watching like Cavalry does.

Cavalry - 12 (end)

I really like the use of camera in this show and the black and whitish color changes during lasts and this weeks episode are pretty cool.
I think Cavalry is more 'intense' then Asterisk, it does a damn good job at riling up the viewer with the unfair treatment of Ikki.
But that's also my biggest problem with it at the same time, especially during the last 2 episodes. Because the whole situation with the interrogation and all is just completely contrived bullshit.

What probably infuriates me the most is that they always introduce him as the Worst One, even after the dude has what? Made it into the FINALS of the shool tournament after defeating over a dozen others. I don't even.

The fight against Toka was okay. A long drawn-out intense battle would have been nice, but completely impossible and unbelievable with the setup. What we got was already barely believable.

Your post capture my thoughts about those 2 shows quite nicely.
The last few episodes of Cavalry were kinda a let down, compared to the rest of the show, it's like they didn't even care anymore.

I really liked the colors used in the last episode of Asterisk, i'm a sucker for strong vibrant color.
KtldhBK.jpg

So when exactly do we get the 2nd season of Asterisk ?

wonzo

Banned
guys im so mad about these inbetweens and background cuts from the 4chan *ineffectively punches padded wall*

jgminto

Gundam IBO - 2

Yep, Okada definitely wrote this. It's only the second episode and we already have a somber/melodramatic tone going on here. Usually this stuff comes in a tad later for this franchise.

I would say the tone is perfectly appropriate when the focus of the show is on child soldiers and not in the usual Gundam "Hero kid pilots the pinnacle Mobile Suit in a grand battle between two major forces" sort of way.

Jaxec

guys im so mad about these inbetweens and background cuts from the 4chan *ineffectively punches padded wall*

I'm not really mad, just kind of disappointed at some of the animation this episode (not as bad as 5). The fight choreography for the fights in Super haven't been to my liking and I wish they go all out with it. Aside from that I really liked the interactions this episode, especially with Vegeta (and his smile) and Freeza. That's why my favorite parts of Super have been the character interactions and comedy (Mr. Satan episode).

jgminto

Gundam Tekketsu 12
The way this show creates detailed battlefields continues to be thrilling. I don't think I've seen many shows divide their attention between simultaneous situations and not only keep the excitement consistent but also use that format to add to the battle. The direction of the plot was fairly predictable,
it was obvious that the attempt to bring Akihiro's brother to Tekkadan was going to fail in some way but I wasn't expecting it to happen so soon.
The real shocking aspect of this episode was Mikazuki
absolutely slaughtering the opposing child soldiers. It makes sense of course, Mikazuki would have no reason to treat them differently. But the scenes of him utterly eviscerating them with his spear were disturbing to witness.
I'm excited to see how the second half of the battle (including Mikazuki vs. Streets of Rage boss) and the aftermath pan out.

pbayne

Mirai Nikki sucks

but its hella entertaining

Porco Rosso

Top tier Ghibli. Top tier Miyazaki obsession with aviation. Its one of the most straightforward of any Ghibli movie but the dialogue is razor sharp. Dissapointed when I found out a sequel was in the works around 2011 but apparently its dead in the water now.

Some brilliant quotes:

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist.

If you make money from war, you're scum. If you can't make money from bounty hunting, you're an idiot

I'm a pig. I don't fight for honor. I fight for a paycheck.

Fio: Wait. Are you leaving because I am a woman? Or because I am too young? Porco: Both.

Curtis: I am already a big celebrity as a pilot, soon I'll be a Hollywood star, and then the president! Gina : I find your humility is very charming

That's right. Love is a little more complicated here than it is in the America. Falling in love happens to you all the time.

I've been trying out a lot of different streaming services for anime available in the US recently, and I've been disappointed to find that there are issues with all of them that keep them from being viable as a primary means of anime consumption.

Crunchyroll - The site layout and organization is pretty clear, but whatever servers Crunchyroll uses don't seem up to the job. When I watch on my PC, the stream frequently stutters, stalls, and sometimes just refuses to move again until I refresh the webpage. This happens even when I'm watching episodes as short as 2 minutes, which is rather frustrating, let alone the problem of the site sometimes losing my place in an episode when I refresh.

Hulu - I signed up for the ad-free service, only to discover that all of the anime licensed by Funimation are only available in SD format, including the latest anime. Since most of the anime on Hulu come from Funimation, it's a real bummer. I get that Funi wants to drive traffic to their own subscription service, but their own website is so poorly laid out that I can't stand it.

Netflix - While the streaming service itself is fine, the selection of anime is so limited, and of course includes no simulcasts, that it's not an option except for a couple things.

And let's not even get into Daisuki. It's frustrating to realize that there's no streaming option that will give me the viewing quality I desire.

Are you sure the stuttering isnt due to your hardware or browser? I use multiple pcs and never have that issue on CR (in sd 480 and 720p).

I don't know why one would use hulu for funi though since their own service offers it in hd and subbed (they even have that 3 or 4 dollar a month Sub only plan even).

Hulu is good for sentai, viz, aniplex, toei, tms, and a few other jpn companies that seem to be putting catalog titles on the service.

Theonik

I've been trying out a lot of different streaming services for anime available in the US recently, and I've been disappointed to find that there are issues with all of them that keep them from being viable as a primary means of anime consumption.

Crunchyroll - The site layout and organization is pretty clear, but whatever servers Crunchyroll uses don't seem up to the job. When I watch on my PC, the stream frequently stutters, stalls, and sometimes just refuses to move again until I refresh the webpage. This happens even when I'm watching episodes as short as 2 minutes, which is rather frustrating, let alone the problem of the site sometimes losing my place in an episode when I refresh.

Hulu - I signed up for the ad-free service, only to discover that all of the anime licensed by Funimation are only available in SD format, including the latest anime. Since most of the anime on Hulu come from Funimation, it's a real bummer. I get that Funi wants to drive traffic to their own subscription service, but their own website is so poorly laid out that I can't stand it.

Netflix - While the streaming service itself is fine, the selection of anime is so limited, and of course includes no simulcasts, that it's not an option except for a couple things.

And let's not even get into Daisuki. It's frustrating to realize that there's no streaming option that will give me the viewing quality I desire.
That about chimes with my experience it really is a shame. I unsubscribed from CR a few years ago because of it. It doesn't help that their line-up has been getting more spotty especially outside the US over the past few years. Funimation is a plague.

Defuser

Gundam IBO ep 12
Now this is what I like! Space mech battles and ship infiltration shootout.

Damn, Mikazuki
slaughtering those human debris kids is kinda awkward. This 2 episodes have them suffering getting beaten up,being starved,mourning for their comrade's death by Mikazuki and vowing to get revenge....only to die like chumps by Mikazuki.

Crunchyroll updated their app recently, and it's much better.
Layout is cleaner and we get fast forward.

That reminds me, I forgot to mention it but when I use Crunchyroll on PS3/PS4, it'll sometimes jump from the middle of one episode to the beginning of the next episode, which is even more frustrating.

Hattori

Banned
Use Kodi if you're using a PC. And if you have a 24p capable monitor/TV, it's the only choice to get an almost judder free experience with Crunchyroll.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Episode 12:

Well, that was certainly a reminder that war is hell.

Phatmac

Gintama 1-302

Whew, started watching this not too long ago and finally caught up. Was interested in it for a while but put it off cause of the length. But glad I watched it, turned out to be amazing. Bit of a rough start in my opinion but it improved greatly as it went along. I’ve really enjoyed how it blends and balances the comedy, action, and drama. It has such a great cast of characters, the bond between Gintoki, Shinpachi, and Kagura is fantastic.

So yeah it’s been a joy to watch, looking forward to how the rest of the current arc goes.
Congrats on catching up! You caught up in the right time with this important arc going on right now so enjoy the ride!

Comet Lucifer 12 (End)

Well decent end but an extra episode could have been useful for the
Earth plot did episode, and resolving how it appears to have been rejuvenated

Love the scenes of everyone post story. 6/10

Jaxec

Comet Lucifer 12

Roman stay winning. It was an alright series. Nothing really grabbed at me, except Breadgirl. This show needed more of Breadgirl.

Rainy Cocoa S2 EPisode 12 END

Was a great anime short series (2min episodes), Ill miss seeing everyone and all the voices actors that stopped by. I hope that funi does more subbing of these VA fan stage events.

Ascheroth

Okada Gundam - 12

Well that space battle was exciting. And disturbing.
Mika slaughtering those child soldiers was... uncomfortable.
Was pretty obvious that their play would fail someway or another, but it was still a wake up call how the world they live in is not pretty.

Cornbread78

Baka to Test ep.4
Lunches, lunches everywhere, well except for the MC, the poor bastard, lol. Interesting how we already have a little love triangle going on the the MC doesn't see, of course, but the tropes for tsun tsun tittle less girl are strong, lol. Funny episode, especially when his little chibli character killed himself opening a jar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom