• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time someone brings up Mappa, all I can think is how I want to ask them "Can you guys just....stop Garo: Crimson Moon, and give us the movie that continues the first series now?

Could you do that?"

Dreams?

Hell my real life looks like its animated by Xebec.

And it's optimized like a PC Ubisoft game.

I actually shouldn't make too much fun of Xebec, Fafner Exodus is one of the best looking shows this year.

Asterisk War end

Strong finish to an incredibly generic show. Was it worth it? Probably not, but damn am I a sucker for moments where cool stuff is happening while the OP plays and they blow the budget on animation.

Oh wait, there's a season 2? Well fuck.

wonzo

Banned
The only original anime they have made since the creation of Mappa is Death Parade and that is far from a creatively bankrupt show and is better than any originals mappa has produced imo.

the only creative thing about death parade is its opening. everything else was pointless fluff derived from a more succinct anime mirai

the only creative thing about death parade is its opening. everything else was pointless fluff derived from a more succinct anime mirai

That's somewhat reductive. Death Parade fluctuated on the quality scale even more then Space Dandy, but it had a lot of good moments and at least didn't try to do the original short 12 times over. Looking back I can appreciate that a lot more, as I thought it was just be a bunch of supernatural Fukumoto mind games but I'm kinda glad it wasn't despite being disappointed for the first few episodes

I still prob won't put it on my AOTY but I appreciate Death Parade more now then I did when it was airing. I'm still kind of surprised a lot of people thought of it so highly.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Probably got to the beach this morning only to find someone had beaten him to the punch and dug up all the clams.

wonzo

Banned
That's somewhat reductive. Death Parade fluctuated on the quality scale even more then Space Dandy, but it had a lot of good moments and at least didn't try to do the original short 12 times over. Looking back I can appreciate that a lot more, as I thought it was just be a bunch of supernatural Fukumoto mind games but I'm kinda glad it wasn't despite being disappointed for the first few episodes

I still prob won't put it on my AOTY but I appreciate Death Parade more now then I did when it was airing. I'm still kind of surprised a lot of people thought of it so highly.

i didn't really care for the OVA and i found what i tried to watch of the TV show equally droll. the mystery of the world was one of the very few things that was kinda interesting about the OVA and i don't really wanna see the series fuck that up too

duckroll;190040663]Who shat in wonzo's cereal this morning?

forgot to refill the neko atsume bowls before passing out last night :(

e:
Probably got to the beach this morning only to find someone had beaten him to the punch and dug up all the clams.

thx for reminding me to watch majin bone

If anything, Death Parade tried to elaborate on the world and then stopped halfway, which was really annoying. That's probably my biggest problem with DP, either expand on the world or don't explain anything, not half way.

DP was at its best when it focused on pure raw human emotion.

I feel like the world the story took place in didn't need to be explained, in fact explaining it took a little bit of the magic away.

Still one of the best shows this year.

The serial elements were the worst part of Death Parade. None of their attempts to create an overarching story or flesh out the setting were all that compelling.

pbayne

DP was at its best when it focused on pure raw human emotion.

I feel like the world the story took place in didn't need to be explain, in fact explaining it took a little bit of the magic away.

Still one of the best shows this year.

Apart from one or two niggles I thought it was a good expansion on the OVA.

Yep actually pointing out the process of what happened after the games was a big mistake in my book. Removed all of the moral ambiguity of the OVA. Just show two people and let the audience decide for themselves what happened to them.

Didn't need the arbiters storyline. Just space dandy it and give a unique case every week.

duckroll

I think the mythos elements hurt the show the most in the first half. Later on when they just focused on the girl's backstory it was fine because ultimately she was just another human story. The ending was good because it was ambiguous. Explaining more would have been lame.

The serial elements were the worst part of Death Parade. None of their attempts to create an overarching story or flesh out the setting were all that compelling.

Yeah, I somewhat appreciate them adding in new characters (at least in Nona's case) but the stuff with the Old Man just sucked because it didn't go anywhere.

Droplet

Concrete Revolutio 1-5

So this was...alright I guess? The plot itself isn't really that interesting, but the nonlinear storytelling and setting at least makes it somewhat engaging. I do enjoy the style so far, the backgrounds in particular, and the characters at least look interesting.

Will finish if I remember to or have something else to do where I can watch it on the other screen.

Qurupeke

If anything, Death Parade tried to elaborate on the world and then stopped halfway, which was really annoying. That's probably my biggest problem with DP, either expand on the world or don't explain anything, not half way.
That's the only thing I didn't like. I hate when they try to give an explanation to something like that. I hoped that they would have kept everything as it was until episode 2 and then expand on the characters just with all those games and judgements. The human stories were really the best part of it.

ibyea

Banned
I personally really liked Death Parade. Yes, the serial elements were half baked, but I appreciated the individual stories told and some of the world building, and I am personally not a fan of most ambiguities in terms of information and "explaining ruins things because it ruins the magic" arguments.

pbayne

http://www.gurren-lagann-ps.jp/sp/

Who's ready for more Gurren Lagann...
in PACHISLOT FORM PROBABLY USING OLD FOOTAGE FROM THE SERIES AND MOVIES

If ever there was a show in less need of a sequel....
thank god its just pachislot

Besides who would trust modern Gainax to make a Gurren lagann sequel?

The only gurren lagann thing that might be somewhat interesting would be a prequel with
Lord Gnenome vs the anti-spirals.

Squishy3

konami owns GL?
It has both Gainax and Konami listed at the bottom. The ps in the URL has to mean Pachislot, because I don't see Konami making a Gurren Lagann Playstation game.

If ever there was a show in less need of a sequel....
thank god its just pachislot

Besides who would trust modern Gainax to make a Gurren lagann sequel?

The only gurren lagann thing that might be somewhat interesting would be a prequel with
Lord Gnenome vs the anti-spirals.
already exists, it's either at the beginning of one of the movies or is one of the parallel works. I can't remember.

Mailbox

I think the mythos elements hurt the show the most in the first half. Later on when they just focused on the girl's backstory it was fine because ultimately she was just another human story. The ending was good because it was ambiguous. Explaining more would have been lame.

This may be the only time i'll ever say this, but:

I wholeheartedly 100% agree with duckroll here.

I feel dirty

I liked howl's moving castle a lot :(
Even if the end if way too rushed and kind of a mess.

(My favorite ghibli film is kiki's delivery service, though)

Same here.

It has both Gainax and Konami listed at the bottom. The ps in the URL has to mean Pachislot, because I don't see Konami making a Gurren Lagann Playstation game.

Looks like they'll show it in a Niconico video event. Oh, and the url is registered by Fields Corporation.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Stars: Episode 168:

God damn, more has happened in two episodes of Sailor Moon Stars then most of Super S. Some of that was indeed because of pacing issues that would make shonen blush but part of it because we are in some strange uncharted territory for this series. This arc if it has a name is this wired mixture of cut Dreams material merged with the meres of bones of Stars and flavored with a direction all of it own because the series has actually managed to break away from formula for a time and it is damn refreshing. I don't think Nehelenia has ever been this interesting either in the manga or Super S as she is no longer a generic evil collecting a generic McGuffin in order to preserve her beauty she is out for completed and total revenge for the events of last season. It is a fair bit more personal then Sailor Moon villains get with their goals.

Anyway, we get more developments with the Outers as awkward manga backstory integration continues and just makes the choice to keep Tomoe alive that much stupider because they have to continue to acknowledged that he technically still exists but straining because they have adopted the family dynamics from the manga. Speaking of such things, more reasons why we didn't get this season 15 years ago, Hotaru is being raised by three women, two of which are lesbians. Back then subject matter that was taboo enough to get censored and managed or outright denied and today, well, the basic idea for Steven Universe. The upshot here is Hotaru is restored to her former self and Sailor Saturn finally becomes and actual team member. Also it is a new season, so it is time to give Sailor Moon a transformation upgrade which actually more than pure power creep since the main transformation of Super S was Twinkle Yell and that isn't an option anymore. Also The Outers are much more friendly now having defrosted a bit and it is a welcome relief.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's only natural that the sequel to Death Note would be popular.

ibyea

Banned

Disagree when it comes to the ending, for me, the ending was good not because it was ambiguous, but because everything the story wanted to tell was told and was closed off in a satisfying manner. and there was nothing left to tell in terms of the story the show wanted to tell. It's satisfying because nothing was left hanging. In my perspective, there was no ambiguity left, at least the ones that mattered.

duckroll

Disagree when it comes to the ending, for me, the ending was good not because it was ambiguous, but because everything the story wanted to tell was told and was closed off in a satisfying manner. and there was nothing left to tell in terms of the story the show wanted to tell. It's satisfying because nothing was left hanging. In my perspective, there was no ambiguity left, at least the ones that mattered.

It is ambiguous, but not in an unsatisfying way. Many scenes were devoted to the question of whether an arbiter with emotions is a good or bad thing. The show does not answer that question, because there is no answer. Death and rebirth is as much a mystery to them as it is to us. They are all simply part of a system and look for answers to make sense of something which is beyond them.

Mailbox

Completely forgot that I need to make a new christmas avatar and a new years avatar....

Anyone have any suggestions as to which characters i should draw for each? (I'll probably add christmas decorations and new years stuffs on after)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Stars: Episode 169:

Right, now that everything is up to speed and adapted more or less where they should be we can actually move forward with the story eventually. Yea, the first half of this episode was kind of tedious since they had to drag out the mystery of the illness that has the city in a vice grip. Also this episode had a bad habit of repeating previously mentioned information. Still, I do like how this miasma has been mixed to fit the gimmicks of Nehelenia; namely her vanity and obsession with image, it is a nice character touch. After the allotted amount of runtime and some cryptic words from Saturn it is figured out that Mamoru is in danger having been slowly corrupted over the past few episodes and it is time for him to fulfill on of his usual roles, being the damsel in distress.

Kuromukuro(PA Works) PV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4cmZ5FnHjQ
For blocked countries:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3ivcov
PA Works love challenge, this time, they challenge mecha genre.
QaGRvlO.jpg

cheesekao

Highly disagree. They expanded the concept and watching the relationship between the side characters was rather interesting.

What would you consider creative?

death parade never needed to happen

it showed that Billiards was enough though
I wanted more ever since I saw billiards and I was not dissapointed with what we got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom