• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

New FMP series.
Digimon Tri
Kizumonogatari movie is finally coming out soon
New D-gray man series
New Berserk project

What is going on here....

Fbh

Just got around to seeing Digimon Adventure Tri. Damn that was bad.
Too many filler talking scenes, no real antagonist, Taichis struggle had a solid reasoning behind it but felt badly executed, some random "let's all use the first evolution which is clearly too weak for what we are trying to do" and the animation quality was pretty bad. Wasn't this a movie in japan? It seems to have lower production values than several weekly shows. Even the final fight was incredibly rushed and anticlimactic

Too many filler talking scenes, no real antagonist, Taichis struggle had a solid reasoning behind it but felt badly executed, some random "let's all use the first evolution which is clearly too weak for what we are trying to do" and the animation quality was pretty bad. Wasn't this a movie in japan? It seems to have lower production values than several weekly shows. Even the final fight was incredibly rushed and anticlimactic

There'll be 6 movies. They simply pack 4 episodes into one theatrical release each. Looking at how unimpressive the first 4 episodes were, I doubt they put much if any additional production effort into this. Probably just banking on the brand name making it a worthwhile endeavor.

And yeh, Tri so far is terrible. Doubt I'll watch any more of it.

Yeah this is probably just a pachinko machine.

Honestly I'm kinda hoping it's just that because really I don't want a TTGL sequel.

TTGL was just one of those perfect shows, it really doesn't need to expand its story.

Like, a sequel wouldn't even work for TTGL. The show ended with
Simon piercing the heavens with Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann growing over 52.8 billion light years tall (in the second movie), how can you get bigger than that?

I guess maybe a prequel could work, but I'm not exactly jumping up and down for it.

Ace of Diamond Second Season Episode 38 - One Pitch

Mindbreak confirmed.

Cant wait for next game
endless Raichi laughing I hope. Who will get to crush Raichi, Furuya or Eijun kun or will they be crushed by Raichi!?!

Saudades

Eh, I'd hardly call the old TV series 'censored to hell' even when comparing it to the manga.
It's been a while since I last watched it, but I remember thinking it was heavily censored while watching.
One instance was
Femto raping Casca
(Golden Age spoiler). Back then I thought it was so censored I wouldn't even know what he was doing had I not read the manga beforehand.

Kyuur

Sounds like Digimon Adventure to me alright.

Jarmel

Banned
New Berserk anime project hittin' 2016: http://yaraon-blog.com/archives/75582
It's going to be CGI.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...kuro-15th-anniversary-tv-anime-project/.96775
Staff:
Director: Tensai Okamura
Series composition: Ryou Higaki
Studio: P.A.WORKS

Cast
Yōhei Azakami as Ōma Kennosuke Tokisada
M.A.O as Yukina Shirahane
Reina Ueda as Sophie Noelle
It's going to be bad.
It's going to be pachislot.

I didn't mind the CG of Berserk as much as others in the movies, but that's because I still had some cool traditional animation moments.

As long as they don't go full cg I'll be excited. Even if then, fuck it I'll watch and love it on the source material alone I'm part of the problem

Qurupeke

Sounds like Digimon Adventure to me alright.

Yeah. Maybe Digimon was better than stuff that was airing then, like Pokemon, but it wasn't an amazing show. It was enjoyable, at best. Tri is basically fueled by nostalgia, but I'd be lying if I said I don't like the result.

Sterok

Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans 12

Akihiro never was going to get a happy ending anyway. Mika shows he's still as cold and ruthless as ever.

NeonZ

Don't forget the animation studio involved here. The animation is superior compared to Toei's weekly shows.

phaze

Kyoukai no Kanata 12 END
0137670ish9.jpg
There should be special place in hell for people who dare
to deflate my tragedy boner like that. How unpleasant.

Really pretty but also, unfortunately, really messy ending. KnK was never a show that bothered with explanations or setting up the rules of its magic abilities but I feel they went overboard with this at the end. So much so that I'm not even quite sure what exactly happened to Akito.
Is the KnK back within him and are we really back to status quo after all that happened ?
Meh. And not only a were some plot threads not finished, two entirely new cans of worms were opened instead. I suppose I should have expected as much from LN adaptation but it still hurts ... And like I said in the first sentence, I really dislike this trope
of faking out a bad ending for the explicit purpose of cheap emotional pull at the end.

If episodes 9-10 gave me a new found respect and hope for the story, this ending brought me back to earth but still, it doesn't change how I feel about the show as a whole. A fun, well directed romp with some enjoyable comedy and a story, that while finishes weakly, was decent enough to keep me engaged for the majority of its run. Also, very comfy ED and the opening probably overtakes the first Hyouka one as my favourite from KyoAni.

---

Curse this show for getting me addicted toYakusoko no Kizuna
0k4tkrdvjss8.png
Now I'm going to watch Love Live or Idolmaster or some other idol shit and I'm probably going to like it. Oh the horror.

Phatmac

An anime that covered Lordgenome's rise and fall against the anti spiral would be the only anime I'd want from Gurren. Man that sounds amazing.

phaze

New FMP series.
Digimon Tri
Kizumonogatari movie is finally coming out soon
New D-gray man series
New Berserk project

What is going on here....

No Shigurui S2
No Lost Canvas S3
No Love Lab S2
No D-Frag S2
No Despera

Shite year.
Hearing Madhouse brought up every.single.time a new anime thing gets announced or when animation gets criticized is a bit aggravating.
Yeah, Overlord was bad but not that bad. Toei is still worse.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...kuro-15th-anniversary-tv-anime-project/.96775
Staff:
Director: Tensai Okamura
Series composition: Ryou Higaki
Studio: P.A.WORKS

Cast
Yōhei Azakami as Ōma Kennosuke Tokisada
M.A.O as Yukina Shirahane
Reina Ueda as Sophie Noelle

Poor Nintendoman ...

Hacka Doll 01-12

Well this was a pleasant surprise. Pretty decent short series with some really good individual episodes even though its low budget is quite apparent at times. (in a bad way)

The anime episode was surprisingly realistic good aesop in the end too. Generally I'd say it's a good addition to this season and doesn't really outlive its welcome. Now to wait for the end to write a more in depth review.

Those are shorts right ? Will give it a shot.

Yeah. Maybe Digimon was better than stuff that was airing then, like Pokemon, but it wasn't an amazing show. It was enjoyable, at best. Tri is basically fueled by nostalgia, but I'd be lying if I said I don't like the result.

Nah. While still a kids show, the first Digimon Adventure was a genuinely good show. Out of those 'power of friendship' narratives it's among the better ones.

Theonik

Kagewani 01-10
Another short, this one is hardly animated to the extent that it feels like cardboard cutouts moving most of the time, but what it lacks in production values and animation it gets in atmosphere.

A good way to describe it is a collection of short paranormal monster tales with an underlying story arc connecting them together. If I had to make a comparison I'd say it's quite close to x-files with the government conspiracies and investigation part partially removed. The protagonist is this university professor paranormal researchers that is investigating this series of incidents and there is also other parties but the focus is on the incidents themselves. (which imo was the coolest part of early x-files anyway)

So far variety is good and the pacing is quite good as well.

Theonik

I feel like Berserk is something that the Souls fan in me needs to watch one of these days. I haven't because I hear it ends abruptly
The Berserk anime adaptation ends kinda abruptly as most adaptations of running manga do. There were also changes that some people debated at the time and some still do now.
It's not a bad anime though, you might want to check it out.
As for Berserk as a whole, the manga goes on frequent hiatus and is moving at a snail's pace so that people have been waiting practically years for things to actually happen in it, but there is still content to consume until you hit that wall.

Squishy3

I feel like Berserk is something that the Souls fan in me needs to watch one of these days. I haven't because I hear it ends abruptly
The movies are fine to watch, jarring CG aside. Mainly because it tries to blend traditional animation with CG way too often, and it doesn't look great in the first two. It cuts nothing out, except the first movie doesn't start in media res like the manga does.

The Berserk anime adaptation ends kinda abruptly as most adaptations of running manga do. There were also changes that some people debated at the time and some still do now.
It's not a bad anime though, you might want to check it out.
As for Berserk as a whole, the manga goes on frequent hiatus and is moving at a snail's pace so that people have been waiting practically years for things to actually happen in it, but there is still content to consume until you hit that wall.

The movies are fine to watch, jarring CG aside. Mainly because it tries to blend traditional animation with CG way too often, and it doesn't look great in the first two. It cuts nothing out, except the first movie doesn't start in media res like the manga does.

So what do you guys think, is it worth checking out at some point or should I just wait for this new Berserk anime and watch that one? I know we don't know much about it, but do you guys think this will be a restart of the whole thing, or will it continue from where the current material stopped?

So what do you guys think, is it worth checking out at some point or should I just wait for this new Berserk anime and watch that one? I know we don't know much about it, but do you guys think this will be a restart of the whole thing, or will it continue from where the current material stopped?

From the sound of things the new anime is covering material after the stuff that the old animes/more recent movies covered, which is the prologue.

At this point, the manga is the best way to enter the series.

Theonik

Watch all of it. Old anime if not just for the OP.
And the new movies if that's your thing. And the new anime if it's good. (the new movies cover largely the same content as the old anime though)
The new anime is meant to continue after the new movies but I'm not sure at this moment. Not much info.

Watch the TV series over the Movies for sure.

If this really is adapting the Black Swordsman arc...why? It's short and easily the worst arc. Lost Children or Tower of Conviction would at least get me semi interested.

The TV anime is quite excellent in some regards. Storytelling first and foremost is really good and that arc is also the best bit of the manga. I'd even say the anime does it better by omitting a few pointless brawls.

Soundtrack is really fantastic and unique.

If I were to criticize anything it's the little amount of animation. There's a hell lot of stills and what not but, eh, you can live with it. I'm probably never going to watch the movies. I'd take little animation over awful looking CGI any day.

edit:
Btw, if you do give it a go, you might want to skip the first episode. Ep1 is a flash forward of an event that happens quite a bit after where the anime ends. I think I personally would've preferred skipping the first episode until I'd have seen the rest, if only I knew.

Squishy3

The tagline "Sleepless nights shall begin." is referring specifically to something after the end of the anime that makes the character unable to sleep at night.

I'd say watch the new movies, the old anime is more impressive from a visual perspective, but it cuts out an extremely key character and has one of the most notorious cliff hangers in existence. It just ends during the penultimate moment. The new anime (or movie, whatever this is, I'm assuming Studio 4C is involved) will probably pick up right where the movies left off.

Watch the TV series over the Movies for sure.

If this really is adapting the Black Swordsman arc...why? It's short and easily the worst arc. Lost Children or Tower of Conviction would at least get me semi interested.
It'd start right where the movies left off, which starts at the Black Swordsman arc. Remember, the movies didn't start in media res and then flashes back.

The TV anime is quite excellent in some regards. Storytelling first and foremost is really good and that arc is also the best bit of the manga. I'd even say the anime does it better by omitting a few pointless brawls.

Soundtrack is really fantastic and unique.

If I were to criticize anything it's the little amount of animation. There's a hell lot of stills and what not but, eh, you can live with it. I'm probably never going to watch the movies. I'd take little animation over awful looking CGI any day.
Yeah but then there's also the part where it cuts out a key character and just ends. You lose something with either one, and while the movies have iffy CG, he wouldn't be extremely confused if he wanted to watch this new series or movie or whatever it is.

I don't think the Movies are worth watching over the TV series just because Skull Knight isn't in them.

It'd start right where the movies left off, which starts at the Black Swordsman arc. Remember, the movies didn't start in media res and then flashing back to the Golden Age.

That makes more sense then, but the Golden Age had a really good transition back to current time. I wonder how they will do that.

Overall the manga obviously, but if you want to watch, I'd say do the TV version up to roughly episode 21, then jump into the third movie. It ends on a better note and has stuff that isn't in the TV show.

Kyuur

I'm going to ignore the old anime because I think it looks like dogshit art-wise compared to the movies, even with bad CG in places (unpopular opinion I know).

The movies are definitely worth checking out, and how you want to do this is up to you. Compared to the manga, the existing movies start and end in the second major story arc, and the new one (if PR release is to be believed) will cover at least part of the first major story arc.

You can watch them in either order due to the nature of the second Arc, but I think the existing movies will have more impact if you watch them first. I may just be biased because its the first thing I encountered though, could easily leave a different kind of impression the other way around.

Squishy3

I don't think the Movies are worth watching over the TV series just because Skull Knight isn't in them.
If it was just Skull Knight cut, yeah, sure. But there's that and the fact it just ends. If he watched the original anime TV series and then whatever this new project ends up being he'd be extremely confused.

The watch the TV anime up until episode 21 and then watch the third movie might be a decent way to go about it, and the CG looks way better in the third movie than it does the 1st and 2nd anyway. Plus they don't try to blend it with traditional animation nearly as much.

Yeh, I don't think it really matters that this character is missing within the TV anime while watching that. If you're interested in pursuing more you'll learn about him just fine (reread some of the Golden Age chapters and you're good to go.)

Cutting him out also allowed them to omit those fights that would've hurt the story pacing if anything.
Like I said, I think it's more the way that the cutting of Skull Knight also makes the anime end on an unsatisfactory note... because it just ends

Yeh, I don't think it really matters that this character is missing within the TV anime while watching that. If you're interested in pursuing more you'll learn about him just fine (reread some of the Golden Age chapters and you're good to go.)

Cutting him out also allowed them to omit those fights that would've hurt the story pacing if anything.

If it was just Skull Knight cut, yeah, sure. But there's that and the fact it just ends. If he watched the original anime TV series and then whatever this new project ends up being he'd be extremely confused.

I guess you are right, it's probably worth watching Descent, even if the TV/manga Eclipses are way better. Descent is at least the best of the movies.

You could do this too.

phaze

Wow thanks everyone, you went all out for me! Seems like 1-21 and then the 3rd Movie are what I will be doing!

edit:
Btw, if you do give it a go, you might want to skip the first episode. Ep1 is a flash forward of an event that happens quite a bit after where the anime ends. I think I personally would've preferred skipping the first episode until I'd have seen the rest, if only I knew.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom