• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

I can't understand what my husband is saying 01-13
dqqesb.png
This one came as a bit of a surprise. Kinda picked it up on a whim when playing around with that anime sorter and remembered seeing it around.
It's good, much better than I was expecting it to be. Some jokes can fall flat, but it worked for me for the most part. Then episode 11 happened, which was quite unique coming with an art shift. That episode alone was pretty impressive and justified the time I spent on the rest of the show on its own. Especially considering it's 4m per episode.

Now to watch S2.

Ascheroth

I heard the biggest problem with the D.Gray-man anime was that it moved at a snail's pace.

That's because of all the filler that the first half of the anime has. There's a reason why people say the second half gets real good because it lacks all the filler.

I looked it up before watching and there are 18 filler episodes during the first 50 episodes.
I imagine that kills quite a bit of momentum.
Pretty sure I'll just skip them.

Cornbread78

I can't understand what my husband is saying 01-13

This one came as a bit of a surprise. Kinda picked it up on a whim when playing around with that anime sorter and remembered seeing it around.
It's good, much better than I was expecting it to be. Some jokes can fall flat, but it worked for me for the most part. Then episode 11 happened, which was quite unique coming with an art shift. That episode alone was pretty impressive and justified the time I spent on the rest of the show on its own. Especially considering it's 4m per episode.

Now to watch S2.

Eagerly awaiting a 3rd season. The show was a lot of fun to watch.

Been watching Noragami lately. I just finished episode 8 of Aragato, this show is pretty excellent. Can't wait to see how the rest of the season plays out.

Show by Rock 5

I'm glad they're getting the tearful revelations out of the way now so that everyone can hopefully be on the same page before the inevitable climax. Going by the frivolous next episode preview, the situation at the end of this episode seems to get resolved without too much angst.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 1:

I see we are doing a perspective shit here, I suppose we could do with a bit of an alternate viewpoint. Also, this is already throwing into sharper relief just how big of a flaming sack of garbage Nisemonogatari was that should have by all rights killed the franchise.

Clov

With this out of the way, a Blu-Ray release won't be too far behind. The question now is whether Crunchyroll will release it through Discotek again, or if they've reached an agreement to have Funimation handle the BD release?

Honestly, I'm hoping for Discotek just because I like them more. The video quality on their BDs is also more consistent than Funimation. Not to mention it would bring the small time people at Discotek a lot of revenue, which they could use to pick up even more series that I like. We'll see, though.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Oh yes, additional thought on Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 1, this is not the first time this series has done this in regards to Kanbaru but the subtle and implicit homophobia needs to stop like now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It will never stop.

Not sure what you're talking about though. Kanbaru is hardly a positive or realistic portrayal of lesbians but I'm not sure where she's homophobic.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
It will never stop.

Not sure what you're talking about though. Kanbaru is hardly a positive or realistic portrayal of lesbians but I'm not sure where it's homophobic.

A couple of times this series has framed her as danger to the innocence of girls simply because she at least claims to be a lesbian. Nisemonogatari decided to make that a bit of a major issue of concern from the moral degenerate Araragi. It would be one thing if that was an actual concern but on screen she has done nothing meanwhile Araragi would be a felon in most nations.

Shounen Hollywood S2 3

I like how, despite focusing on idols (and in this episode, that most quintessential activity of idols: handshake events), this series uses them to talk about personal issues that are relevant to anyone anywhere. Even in my upper twenties, the question of how much to try to conform myself to the expectations of others and how much to stay true to myself even if it goes against what other people want of me is still something I wrestle with.

duckroll

Friend who told me One Punch Man was too "painful" for him is now telling me how Gargantia was bad, and how Cabin in the Woods sucked. :(

Haly

Friend who told me One Punch Man was too "painful" for him is now telling me how Gargantia was bad, and how Cabin in the Woods sucked. :(

"Friend"
A couple of times this series has framed her as danger to the innocence of girls simply because she at least claims to be a lesbian. Nisemonogatari decided to make that a bit of a major issue of concern from the moral degenerate Araragi. It would be one thing if that was an actual concern but on screen she has done nothing meanwhile Araragi would be a felon in most nations.

Ah I see. Well Nise is shit.

I'd really like to get the Shounen Hollywood BDs so I can see the show with more polished art, but if I got the Japanese BDs it'd be upwards of $500 to get the whole series. As much as I like it, I'm not sure I can justify that much. I'll just have to hope Funimation releases it on BD eventually, but you never know with them if they'll give a show they pick up for streaming a disc release.

Sterok

Glitter Force 19-20

Calling Rascal a joker. Not sure why they would do that. He's clearly a clown. Lots of delicious despair faces. I'm sure all this self-reflection would have much more impact if the music reflected it better. And if they didn't throw in jokes all the time ruining the moment. All the time. Brooha's older voice sounds weird. Not what I would expect from a younger version of an old witch? Sunny smacked down Ulric hard. Peace didn't get to sound very threatening. Spring sure has a lot of energy. Breeze has ice sword, so she's automatically the coolest. Lucky lucked out for once not having to fight a serious opponent. Oh no, it's Nogo! And he's gone. Princess Breeze's hair looks stupid. Princess Sunny looks nice though. Well that was an enjoyable finale. I sure hope there's more of this later on, because that was kind of abrupt for an ending.

Glitter Force Review Going Into It Unbiased

This is clearly a show meant for young girls, with enough humor and action sprinkled in so that parents watching it aren't bored to death. On one side the humor works pretty well, and I laughed a few times. The action however, not so much. Occasionally it's good, but most of the time both sides just trade a couple blows before the heroes launch a clip of stock footage and win. Action fans won't leave satisfied. On the other hand, there's still enough violence that parents that are wary of it should probably avoid it, leaving Glitter Force in a weird middle ground where it probably won't satisfy anyone in the action department.

The plot is laughably basic. Both sides are just haphazardly running around collecting stuff so that they can revive the Big Bad. Otherwise it's just a bunch of episodic nonsense with the girls doing some slice of life thing, followed by the bad guys coming in to wreck havoc for usually silly reasons. The self-contained stories are fairly solid overall, though generally a bit basic that requires little thinking from the viewer. A few episodes do stand out though, such as when April helps Lily build up her confidence or when Chloe wonders what she really wants to do. The comedic bits are definitely the meat of most episodes though.

Naturally the characters are the most important part of this kind of show, and this is where Glitter Force delivers well. Emily is a surprisingly good lead. Oh she's an idiot with a trouble magnet on her forehead, but she remains optimistic and has a surprising amount of snark in her. Kelsey is also decent. She's arguably the funniest character, and definitely the best overall snarker of the group. Too bad we didn't get to learn much about her. She got maybe 1.5 focus episodes, so that left her noticeably underdeveloped. Did the writers forget to write anything for her? She also had this thing with Japanese pizza. Lily was kind of meh. She's a shy crybaby that loves drawing and superheroes. Sometimes her insecurities played out well, like in the relay episode, but other times it never quite clicked together. I think she needed another, more serious focus episode. Her transformation was pretty lame too. Puppies and kittens is unbelievably cheesy even by this show's standards. And why did her peace sign change all the time? April was alright. A serious older sister who gets spooked quite easily, but will always stands up for others. There's not much to say about her. Chloe was cool (hah hah hah). She's very serious in a good way, and she's often the hardest to figure out what she's going to do. She had one of the more introspective episodes exploring whether or not she likes what she does, and she was generally the most competent person on the team, even when she had a bizarre idea. She was also the best fighter even before she got her ice sword. There was also her odd obsession with Japan. I'm certain she's a weeaboo, and no one has realized it yet.

The other characters were good too. Candy was sort of cute and generally amusing. She's also dumb enough that you wonder why she was chosen to help save the world, but kids show. Pop was great. He needed more screen-time and should've been the main pixie. Ulric was a solid jerk villain. Brute was a fun idiot that didn't know how to be threatening even with a giant club. Brooha had some clever plans and toys, so she often had the better fights. Rascal was the obligatory dangerous villain, though sadly he sat on the sidelines most of the time. Nogo was a rock. And that's about it. Not many side characters oddly enough.

The voice acting was good to great for just about everyone. No one was painful to listen to. Well, maybe Lily. She didn't come across as well as the others. The music was flat out terrible though. It was forgettable for the comedic moments, and it often ruined serious moments by being too cheery or otherwise ill-fitting. The opening was okay, but the endings, oh boy. The first two were okay visually, but the next 3 all had a serious drop in quality that were painful to look at. The ending doesn't need to change every 4 episodes. Just stick with what's decent. The humor was good generally, but sometimes overbearing. This is a comedy sure, but there are serious moments of self-doubt or danger. It's okay to let those scenes play straight without the audience losing focus with a bad joke.

Overall, it's a decent show for the kids. Watch it for the comedy and characters, not the plot or action. 7/10, would watch more. Now if only we could get some merchandise. Or a good video game.

I put way too much effort into this franchise.

Haly

Hey I'm borrowing all 5 seasons of Breaking Bad from him tomorrow, so that should even it out!

LIkes Breaking Bad. Doesn't like OPM, Gargantia, or Cabin in the Woods.

I mean it's obvious what kind of person he is.

The kind you shouldn't associate with.

Well, according to IMDB One Punch Man is the better bald dude show anyway.

Well if we take in consideration the amount of people that voted for Breaking Bad compared to OPM. Then Breaking Bad curb stomps it to little pieces.

So the better bald dude goes to Breaking Bad. Anime always loses in the end lol.

Shounen Hollywood S2 5

I think I'm liking this season even more than the first. The way the past two episodes has been using members of the first generation of Shounen Hollywood to help guide members of the current generation has been great.

Just finished watching the first 2 episodes of One Punch Man after hearing the countless amount of praise for it. I'm not so big on the protagonist being so OP from the get go. I I got a feeling i'll be eating my words soon. Regardless I'm enjoying it, and it's pretty funny so far. The animation is sooo good too.

Just finished watching the first 2 episodes of One Punch Man after hearing the countless amount of praise for it. I'm not so big on the protagonist being so OP from the get go. I I got a feeling i'll be eating my words soon. Regardless I'm enjoying it, and it's pretty funny so far. The animation is sooo good too.

I mean that's the very premise of the show. Also its title.

If you continue to dislike that aspect further I'd honestly just recommend droppíng it because that ain't gonna change. There'll be quite a lot of world building and there's more than just this one punchline, but it and Saitama's OPness in general will remain relevant.

Cornbread78

Careful, you'll anger the masses, lol.

Berserk 2

Began here as per you guys' recommendation, and fuck. First of all this is my first time watching something this old in the present days. I watched it in 1080p, and it was gorgeous. I was afraid I'd be jarred by the 4:3 and old animation/overall quality, but as soon as I watched the first few minutes of it, I knew it was going to be alright. You can definitely still tell this is old, but the feelings I get are the same as the ones I got when I rewatched Star Wars IV-VI in 1080p recently, it holds up, and it has this magic to it that things these days usually don't have. I'm glad I gave this a shot, I'm totally into it, can't wait to watch more for the next few days/weeks.

I have a lot of stuff that I want to watch still like From the New World, this one, and I also wanted to watch Baccano and Akira. Problem is how Trails of Cold Steel dropped today and I'm enjoying it quite a lot. Not having any weekly shows until January means that I have an empty slot each day to watch the stuff, but there are only so many hours in one day lol. I want to do it all, but have time for nothing.

Gundam Wing - 15

Went back to this to appreciate some of the best mecha designs in the franchise and to listen to more of that beautiful English dub before I watched more IBO tonight.

ibyea

Banned

It's played for laughs though so for me it's not a negative.

Clov

anyone know if there are any plans of a reprint for Baccano BDs?

It's very unlikely that the domestic release by Aniplex of America will get reprinted. However, if you really want the show on BD, I believe that the Japanese release has English subtitles. It'll be pricey, but the option is there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom