• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

Gintama - 303

Damn you gorilla, I didn't ask for all these emotions :(
Very intense episode with very intense battles. Yato soldiers are brutal.
And looks like next episode is getting even more intense with apparantly Takasugi and Kamui
vs Gintoki and Kagura

Wow guys, I actually take offense in being called a homophobe, I work with people of the same sex that have a different sexual inclination from me, and I am friends with them, I have 0 issues with them and they are great people. Now this episode in specific just felt super cheap and sort of like "hehehe let's throw something shocking at the viewer, just because". It sort of felt exactly the same as the scene in which the two kids almost had sex when they were captured. I understood why it happened, but that one too came out of nowhere and it wasn't even mentioned again afterwards, it was almost as if it never happened. Is it homophobic of me to find it weird and uncomfortable seeing characters go from straight in one episode to homossexual in another, going on intense make out sessions just like that? The way the scenes got depicted, just like Hellwarden said were in detail too. I have nothing against homossexuality, but the sudden mood shift just felt odd.

Clov

I want it, but I don't want it that much xD

Well, the cheapest option for owning it would be the DVD, which isn't a terrible option considering the BD is an upscale. The BD does have better image quality, but it's not a massive difference. So that's an option as well, if you're willing to settle. :p

Qurupeke

Shokugeki No Souma 3

For a moment I thought that Megumi girl was 13.... But they timeskiped so she's 15. It doesn't make it much better though. :x And holy shit, just standing there she makes me anxious too. She's the personification of stress. Also, that Sanzaemon guy totally got his scar when he was cooking something impossible.

Anyway, I love Erina's pride getting destroyed every time. This show is worth it only for her absolutely over the top reactions. lol Oh and it's Souma x Erina, eh?

And man, this show really likes tentacles.

Russ T

Banned
Wow guys, I actually take offense in being called a homophobe, I work with people of the same sex that have a different sexual inclination from me, and I am friends with them, I have 0 issues with them and they are great people. Now this episode in specific just felt super cheap and sort of like "hehehe let's throw something shocking at the viewer, just because". It sort of felt exactly the same as the scene in which the two kids almost had sex when they were captured. I understood why it happened, but that one too came out of nowhere and it wasn't even mentioned again afterwards, it was almost as if it never happened. Is it homophobic of me to find it weird and uncomfortable seeing characters go from straight in one episode to homossexual in another, going on intense make out sessions just like that? The way the scenes got depicted, just like Hellwarden said were in detail too. I have nothing against homossexuality, but the sudden mood shift just felt odd.

FWIW I think the accusations of homophobia were uncalled for.

However, I feel like I should point out that it is possible to be bisexual (or pansexual, as I think is the growing preferred term). You're not going from "straight" to "homosexual". You're going from "one person you're attracted to" to "another person you're attracted to". It's not surprising that a future society wouldn't treat this as a bizarre phenomenon. It's just how it is.

There's also, IIRC, a lot of implications beforehand (and after) that this is pretty normal in their society. People hook up all the time because it helps to relieve stress. It didn't feel like it came out of nowhere when I watched it, although I can certainly understand why someone would be surprised.

FWIW I think the accusations of homophobia were uncalled for.

However, I feel like I should point out that it is possible to be bisexual (or pansexual, as I think is the growing preferred term). You're not going from "straight" to "homosexual". You're going from "one person you're attracted to" to "another person you're attracted to". It's not surprising that a future society wouldn't treat this as a bizarre phenomenon. It's just how it is.

There's also, IIRC, a lot of implications beforehand (and after) that this is pretty normal in their society. People hook up all the time because it helps to relieve stress. It didn't feel like it came out of nowhere when I watched it, although I can certainly understand why someone would be surprised.

Thank you, I actually got pretty offended by that. It's easy to point fingers and shit on people when you don't know them in real life.

You see what made it jarring for me was the sudden 2 year jump that did not give US this exposition. How did Shun go from liking the girl to liking the blonde guy? It just felt as of it was only put there for the shock aspect, the same way as it was with the " almost sex" scene that came out of nowhere too, and made me complain. Then we have the poor little boy that seems to be ostracized for being straight, meanwhile these kids forget that their parents are straight as well? Or did they overnight just switch the system because of what the kids found out through that library? Idk, it just felt very "unnatural" to me

Wait. So what do we now call people who love cookware?

You don't call them anything, you tell them to cook you a meal :)

Russ T

Banned
Thank you, I actually got pretty offended by that. It's easy to point fingers and shit on people when you don't know them in real life.

You see what made it jarring for me was the sudden 2 year jump that did not give US this exposition. How did Shun go from liking the girl to liking the blonde guy? It just felt as of it was only put there for the shock aspect, the same way as it was with the " almost sex" scene that came out of nowhere too, and made me complain. Then we have the poor little boy that seems to be ostracized for being straight, meanwhile these kids forget that their parents are straight as well? Or did they overnight just switch the system because of what the kids found out through that library? Idk, it just felt very "unnatural" to me

You don't call them anything, you tell them to cook you a meal :)

I don't think he was ostracized for being straight! As you say, they are young. Immature, you might say! He liked someone who didn't want to like him back, and man, that's such a common thing at every age, but the younger you are, the more stupidly extreme the responses can be. On top of that, you also have this society that's apparently okay with sex-for-fun (which also leads to sex just being a more natural Thing To Do, even in situations where it might seem weird). So maybe that's why it's extra weird to you.

For me, it totally makes sense that 100 years from now, our society probably won't care as much about sex, or whether or not you're into the right gender, or whatever. And that's their society.

They also happen to live in a society where people have crazy psychic powers.

Okay but all that said I think you should just keep watching, anyway, because the sex stuff is not what makes this show great, and it's kind of a minor thing at the end of the day. It's a really really really good series, and I highly recommend continuing.

EDIT:

also i would feel remiss if i didn't acknowledge the excellent wordplay oh man do i love me some good wordplay

Wait. So what do we now call people who love cookware?

yes good

I don't think he was ostracized for being straight! As you say, they are young. Immature, you might say! He liked someone who didn't want to like him back, and man, that's such a common thing at every age, but the younger you are, the more stupidly extreme the responses can be. On top of that, you also have this society that's apparently okay with sex-for-fun (which also leads to sex just being a more natural Thing To Do, even in situations where it might seem weird). So maybe that's why it's extra weird to you.

For me, it totally makes sense that 100 years from now, our society probably won't care as much about sex, or whether or not you're into the right gender, or whatever. And that's their society.

They also happen to live in a society where people have crazy psychic powers.

Yeah this whole world is all screwed up so you've got a point. It just took me by surprise. Which is not to say I am against the two boys and girls liking each other, again I emphasize how I complained when Saki and the blonde guy almost had sex out of the blue (worst offender that episode was the awful animation by some other director, dear lord, but that's a whole different issue). I need to watch more, maybe they will address just what the heck happened after they came back to the town, and what took place during those 2 years.

I've watched 17 episodes of Mirai Nikki.

I really don't know what to say.

Yuno is adorable. That's all there is to say for Nikki.

My only exposure to Future Diary is the cancerous mashup remix known as Yuki that's played around in various Hearthstone streams.

Watch the Youtube video of that and you'll have gotten the highlights of the series.

..man, I can't wait for the Love Tyrant anime to come out. :l

Line_HTX

My only exposure to Future Diary is the cancerous mashup remix known as Yuki that's played around in various Hearthstone streams.

And a couple of Blazblue characters in that one Yuno pose.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I told Tusr to watch SDF Macross but noooooo.

(I liked Mirai Nikki)

Gundam 0079 Movie 1

Man you can tell this series hasn't aged well, but then again it was released in 1981. However, the visuals for me were quite fantastic. It gave off that old school vibe. While the animation was pretty old the 2D aspect of it was great. At least there weren't any CGI crap. The soundtrack is pretty darn great and you can tell it came from the 80s. Also that ending song to the movie was slow but graceful, it was really good.

Now as for the characters I have to say Char is one slick bastard that gets what he wants. He has that charisma and doesn't give a fuck vibe to him which makes him quite enjoyable. As for Amuro he had good development from becoming a normal individual to a soldier and seeing him struggle with that shows depth to his character. The Gundam action scenes were pretty great and hype worthy.

I have to say women really have it hard in this series lol, like getting slapped. Then again Amuro did get slapped multiple times. Why so many slapping scenes?

Violence builds character. Nothing gets the crew of the white base in line like bright noa slapping the monkey shit out of them

tumblr_n3dmf0in3K1snpm91o2_500.gif

Kyuur

You see what made it jarring for me was the sudden 2 year jump that did not give US this exposition. How did Shun go from liking the girl to liking the blonde guy? It just felt as of it was only put there for the shock aspect, the same way as it was with the " almost sex" scene that came out of nowhere too, and made me complain. Idk, it just felt very "unnatural" to me

You don't think teenagers might develop feelings over different people during the course of 2 years? I don't know what kind of HS experience you had, but tons of people started and stopped dating different people. All the context you need for the relationship is exactly what you had before, their experiences as close friends and classmates.

Additionally, bisexuals exist. They didn't necessarily go from straight to homosexual, they likely had no inclination either way.

Then we have the poor little boy that seems to be ostracized for being straight, meanwhile these kids forget that their parents are straight as well? Or did they overnight just switch the system because of what the kids found out through that library?

He wasn't being ostracized as mentioned, just rejected. I'm not sure what 'system' you're referring to.

You don't think teenagers might develop feelings over different people during the course of 2 years? I don't know what kind of HS experience you had, but tons of people started and stopped dating different people. All the context you need for the relationship is exactly what you had before, their experiences as close friends and classmates.

Additionally, bisexuals exist. They didn't necessarily go from straight to homosexual, they likely had no inclination either way.

And from a storytelling standpoint, do you think it's not jarring? We have an established character relationship, and then in a near-instant (for the viewer) we have a different relationship in place of the first. It IS jarring, no matter how you look at it and intentionally so. Even in reality, leaving at one point and seeing a couple in a relationship and then coming back and seeing one of them swapped out would be strange.

Cornbread78

Euphonium ep.10
Well, there goes the Yuri hope. Sge still says shr's cute an aweful lot thoufh, right.. I was right about Reina liking sensei. Lots of drama for the solo part, but hey, such is band life.

Shomin Sample - 12 [End]

I need more of the mother.
Weak finale on the comedy front, and I usually tend to space out at friendship speeches. Meh. The half assed parodies on certain genres was fun though.
Overall I think it was an enjoyable show, give or take a few weak episodes and hit/miss comedy segments. Throw out the mute dwarf and I'll jump on a second season.

Phatmac

NOOOOOOOO YOU FUCKERS CANT GIVE ME A CLIFFHANGER AFTER PROMISING TWO OF THE MOST IMPORTANT FIGHTS IN THE SERIES!!!! Plus the show is going on break until next year fucking shit! Anyway, the fight between the yatos was brutal with Kondo being a surprising badass with his moves. The animation wasn't great but I guess they're saving it for the next episode. I've felt Saurtobi's VA feel off for all these serious arcs but luckily Zenzo has been great. Honestly he's been acting like a hero in this arc. Next episode should be massive with two confrontations that have been needed for a long time.

He wasn't being ostracized as mentioned, just rejected. I'm not sure what 'system' you're referring to.

They do exist but we were never shown that before in this show. It's just as if after they came back, their village suddenly started pairing kids up by the same sex.
As for the "system" I was referring to how the adults seem to shape everything in their society, and how they seem to be getting rid of kids for some reason. I was thinking this was another of their hypnosis or something like that, in order to prevent the kids from getting pregnant, to control the population's size or something.
Idk just pure speculation, the show is crazy lol.

Line_HTX

In the big picture though, it was never meant to be.

I hope the movie goes full blown into the next competition.

Get ready for the next battle.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Euphonium ep.10
Well, there goes the Yuri hope. Sge still says shr's cute an aweful lot thoufh, right.. I was right about Reina liking sensei. Lots of drama for the solo part, but hey, such is band life.

I look forward to punching this series in the face come awards season, but seriously this is the other side of the problem the series had with its options was that the other options just kind of sucked on toast.

phaze

This show actually sucks so bad.

I'm at a serious loss for words.

And it gets even better !

Noragami 12

I really liked the first ~4 episodes of this season but this has been getting weaker and weaker. The filler arc from the end of previous seasons makes some events of this Ebisu arc really jarring. At least the memory loss plot was resolved quickly but the mere fact it exists, combined with the revelations about the relationship of Nora&Yato make the Rabo feel incompatible with the rest. I'm also not sure why Bishamon gives a crap about Ebisu, given his apparent and malevolent practices, enough to go against the heavens for him but I sure as hell don't. Let's hope at least this silly cliffhanger will stick.

pbayne

Man I could not disagree more. I think it's the other way around. Durarara jumps from character to character, place to place so often a second watch helps clear things up.

I dunno I found a lot of the characters to be duds this time, especially when you know some of them aren't that important to anything. Especially Celty-she's great for the first half of the series but in the second shes just there filling space.

I keep getting told by the show that Izaya is some dangerous dude, but all I see him do is play on his phone and computer. After his initial introduction I find him a really lame character.

Just when you put it next to Baccano I find it really dull.

Russ T

Banned
Durarara is a slow burn, it's true. Baccano is just on All The Time. I... kind of don't like that they're so frequently compared. I mean, I know why they are, but I think it's not fair. They've both got a huge ensemble cast, but they approach it differently. The newer seasons of Durarara also further expand on all the characters (and introduce even more!). It's great. I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom