• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbayne

Durarara is a slow burn, it's true. Baccano is just on All The Time. I... kind of don't like that they're so frequently compared. I mean, I know why they are, but I think it's not fair. They've both got a huge ensemble cast, but they approach it differently. The newer seasons of Durarara also further expand on all the characters (and introduce even more!). It's great. I love it.

ill grant the last arc of Durarara was pretty good but the one before was god awful.

Cornbread78

I look forward to punching this series in the face come awards season, but seriously this is the other side of the problem the series had with its options was that the other options just kind of sucked on toast.

Lol, it's an OK anime that looks really good, but it's nothing amazing. Glad I didn't cone in looking for the Yuri maddness, lol.

Qurupeke

Shokugeki no Soma 4-5

AiDXmp4.png
ltgzGnR.png
LypAsX6.jpg

Man, that's really fun to watch. I didn't expect the naked apron guy to actually be much more than comic relief, but he seems dangerous(in more than one ways). Megumi seems to have the best faces in the series, she is so cute. And please, I hope a shokugeki with Erina will happen soon, this bitch is becoming so annoying. I wanted to like her, I tried to... She's seriously getting on my nerves. At least her reactions are still amazing, I loved the hippo scene. lol

Also, it's fun that people in this school walk with all those huge knives. lol Especially that american girl now. Weird, she doesn't use a gun for cooking.
>_>

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Chivalry of the Failed Knight 1-END

Powered through the last two episodes. This show used the weirdest lighting the entire time, like everything was filtered through this weird rose-colored thing.

The thing this show has going for it that Asterisk doesn't is that Stella and Ikki are likable characters, whereas Ayato's a dead-ringer for Kirito in "I'm the best at everything" and Julis has all of the unlikable parts of the tsundere archetype down pat and almost none of the likable ones. I mean, I guess the show was enjoyable enough given that they didn't spend nearly as much time as the show's counterpart does with "will they-won't they" garbage with the lead, but I'd say the show was still a pretty solid C+. I'd like to give them credit for having a positively portrayed trans character, but Alice also didn't really do anything and her character wasn't explored at all, so its kind of a wash. They also erased any goodwill they'd get from it by having the sister constantly trying to fuck her brother.

Show by Rock 6

I'm actually rather impressed by the way this episode handled the character drama. It adjusted the tone in just the right proportion at just the right times so it didn't feel out of place with everything around it, and it featured refreshingly open dialogue among all the characters and the total clearing up of misunderstandings. The moment where the bandmates came together over a joint song was touching. It's certainly a better way of handling drama than some anime I've seen, such as Hanayamata or Love Lab.

Also, the character art this episode was really good.

Gintama 303

This Gintoki vs Takasugi and Kagura vs Kamui plot line has been dangled in front of people for how long? Wonder if Gintoki will finally go berserk and if Kagura will go berserk again.

Kyuur

And from a storytelling standpoint, do you think it's not jarring? We have an established character relationship, and then in a near-instant (for the viewer) we have a different relationship in place of the first. It IS jarring, no matter how you look at it and intentionally so. Even in reality, leaving at one point and seeing a couple in a relationship and then coming back and seeing one of them swapped out would be strange.

Jarring, sure, but in a good way. It creates a good mystery that would not work if we followed the story completely sequentially or had a quick narrative explanation: what happened between the characters since we last saw? Certainly not a reason to drop the series unless you were really invested in that pairing or you don't like not knowing exactly what's going on (in which case, why are you watching FtNW?).

They do exist but we were never shown that before in this show. It's just as if after they came back, their village suddenly started pairing kids up by the same sex.
As for the "system" I was referring to how the adults seem to shape everything in their society, and how they seem to be getting rid of kids for some reason. I was thinking this was another of their hypnosis or something like that, in order to prevent the kids from getting pregnant, to control the population's size or something.
Idk just pure speculation, the show is crazy lol.

I think in any media portraying human characters, you can expect a baseline of things to be true of that world unless directly contradicted. You don't see many characters in anime urinating or defecating, but we can assume that they do, and if you do someone go to the bathroom its not like 'wow, that was unexpected'.

Anyways, please don't stop watching because you think the series will devolve into some yaoi/yuri fan service nightmare, because it doesn't. If you enjoyed the first arc, keep watching.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So the Working!!! finale, "Lord of the Takanashi," is airing on Saturday.

Is this going to be simulcast anywhere?

Jaxec

Shomin Sample 12

When did this become an action series? This episode had sword techniques, a giant mecha vs powered up Karen, and clashes with buff men...and I enjoyed every second of it. Karen is still the best girl in the series and Mama Reiko was awesome, need more of her. This was an enjoyable series and my only real issue was Hakua's unnecessary stripping. Good show nonetheless.

Gundam 0079 Movie 1

Now as for the characters I have to say Char is one slick bastard that gets what he wants. He has that charisma and doesn't give a fuck vibe to him which makes him quite enjoyable. As for Amuro he had good development from becoming a normal individual to a soldier and seeing him struggle with that shows depth to his character. The Gundam action scenes were pretty great and hype worthy.

I have to say women really have it hard in this series lol, like getting slapped. Then again Amuro did get slapped multiple times. Why so many slapping scenes?

Amuro's character development is one of the best things about the original 1979 Gundam. It helps that he starts off as a selfish, arrogant individual to make it so when the realities and horrors of war are thrown at him, it's all the more effective.

Also yeah, women have it really bad in UC Gundam shows to a disturbing degree. You've only just begun to see the horrible, cruel fates that Tomino has in store for them.

Shomin Sample 12

When did this become an action series? This episode had sword techniques, a giant mecha vs powered up Karen, and clashes with buff men...and I enjoyed every second of it. Karen is still the best girl in the series and Mama Reiko was awesome, need more of her. This was an enjoyable series and my only real issue was Hakua's unnecessary stripping. Good show nonetheless.
And finally in the last episode they give us an ojousama laugh.

Ascheroth

Fushigi no Somera-chan 1-11

Lol, this was hilariously random, down to the different ending each episode.
I wonder what would have happened if they hadn't cast Matsushima in episode 2...
The extensive knowledge about Menoussoue will also surely come in handy sometime.

Anyways, please don't stop watching because you think the series will devolve into some yaoi/yuri fan service nightmare, because it doesn't. If you enjoyed the first arc, keep watching.

Nope I'm not dropping it, as a matter of fact I've kept going and I'm glad that it didn't drop the excellent world building and turning into a Yaoi/Yuri show aha. This episode I watched just now was amazing:

From the New World 10

Holy crap that cat thing was like a rag to Saki's powers. Pretty damn gruesome. This show does not pull back on its punches.

Glad I kept going because this episode was excellent. At first I thought I was being taken for a spin, Inception style, but in the end it all made sense. Pretty damn powerful scenes, along with exposition that made things clearer.

So the Working!!! finale, "Lord of the Takanashi," is airing on Saturday.

Is this going to be simulcast anywhere?

I am sorta hoping that this is a legit episode, a legit finale and not some sort of magical world thing. But I bet it's gonna be the latter... Sigh.

Angry Grimace

I'm pretty sure its just the end of the manga and anime. I haven't read the 4koma its based on, but every plot thread has already been resolved other than Inami and Takanashi hooking up, so I imagine that's the entire plot.

Gundam IBO - 4

CW45glCWwAAxkcq.png
CW49Z5FWMAADqNM.png

One of the signs that you're growing old as an anime fan. You begin to notice QUALITY.

Ah yes, the episode where the main Gundam pilot and the Char clone meet outside their mechs and you just know there's gonna be a crazy heated mecha battle between them later on.

From the New World 11

So
they really do fuck around with their memories.
watching this show is turning out to be a trip and a half lol.

From the New World 12

Oh boy. This can't be good.

Jex

Berserk 3

Something that I didn't touch on my last post for the second episode is the audio. The audio soundtrack in this is phenomenal. Sounds very 90s with the vocals, I dig it aha.

Also Guts is the OG tsundere isn't he? He started the movement.

Guts isn't really a tsundere. Not to sound like TV tropes, but he's far more of a Byronic hero. Or, at least he was during the Golden Age arc. It's hard to say where he is now - I feel like Miura (the original manga creator) has completely sight of who Guts was supposed to be.

Guts isn't really a tsundere. Not to sound like TV tropes, but he's far more of a Byronic hero. Or, at least he was during the Golden Age arc. It's hard to say where he is now - I feel like Miura (the original manga creator) has completely sight of who Guts was supposed to be.

I said it in good fun because of how he reacts in this episode when everyone is cheering for him, he does the typical "Hmph!" And blushes while crossing his arms and looking to the side.

I'm gonna try to maybe watch some more today. I have a work Christmas party to go to, so I don't know if I'll get to it or not.

He has completely lost sight of what was Berserk about.

Qurupeke

So he wrote "Sun Man" at the age of 10. I wrote my first manga at the age of four so I don't see why that would be surprising.

The wording make it sound like it's an official manga, but I guess it miiiight be possible if it was just something he did for fun. It wouldn't look like a manga though, considering his OPM art. :x

Oh, I expected the post in the image to be fake. Interesting.

Jex

Shounen Hollywood S2 4

So mono no aware it hurts.

But not exactly that either. When a piece of fiction manages to conjure such a complicated mixture of emotion that you're not even sure what to call it, you know it's successful.

Your efforts are not in vein! Truly, one day, I will actually watch past episode one of the first season. I believe!

Ascheroth

D.Grey-man - 02

I sure love the atmosphere of this show. It's dark, creepy, mysterious but can also be light-hearted at times.
While the first episode was all about introducing the enemy - the Akuma - this episode focused on the exorcists and their means to fight them, a 'substance' called Innocence.
We have Allen arriving at the headwuarter of the exorcists, the Black Order and of course misunderstandings ensue and some action.
Lots of information about everything right from the get go, but somehow it doesn't come off as an infodump but feels pretty natural interwoven.

The exorcists are a fun bunch and before I forget it again, the OP is really cool.

True. Guts has softened a lot, he used to be the most hardcore mother fucker of all time (remember in the Lost Children arc when he got stabbed in the cheek and out the other and then just bit down on the blade?) but I think its kind of emblematic of Miura himself that Guts chilled out. He's less of an ass now.

I blame Schierke.

jett

D-Member
I dunno where this anime kick came from, but I've been watching Space Brothers.

I'm 44 episodes and while I still like it a good deal, I feel like the pacing has become insufferably glacial. Jesusfuckingchrist. Even by anime stadards this is too fucking slow. Shit takes forever to happen.

Phatmac

True. Guts has softened a lot, he used to be the most hardcore mother fucker of all time (remember in the Lost Children arc when he got stabbed in the cheek and out the other and then just bit down on the blade?) but I think its kind of emblematic of Miura himself that Guts chilled out. He's less of an ass now.

I blame Schierke.
I miss edgy Guts though he said the rudest shit and kicked ass while doing it.

I blame Schierke.

I blame Idolmaster.

I said it in good fun because of how he reacts in this episode when everyone is cheering for him, he does the typical "Hmph!" And blushes while crossing his arms and looking to the side.

I'm gonna try to maybe watch some more today. I have a work Christmas party to go to, so I don't know if I'll get to it or not.

There's a very dark reason for this that adaptations stubbornly refuse to include.

Jex

I dunno where this anime kick came from, but I've been watching Space Brothers.

I'm 44 episodes and while I still like it a good deal, I feel like the pacing has become insufferably glacial. Jesusfuckingchrist. Even by anime stadards this is too fucking slow. Shit takes forever to happen.

Sure. It was designed to be a very long running children's series that was going to air over the course of a year. They really embraced the fact that they had such a high number of episodes (unusually high when you consider how most shows are 11-12 episodes long these days) and matched their pacing against how many episodes were ordered.

I mean, that doesn't make it better. It just explains it.

Mandelbo

My Little Monster 01

So I saw this was on Netflix and I blindly decided to watch it.

Things seem to be moving a little quickly because in the space of twenty minutes Shizuku met Haru for the first time, stood up for him against his "friends", received a confession of love from him and was also kissed by him at the end.

Are they gonna be married by episode 3?

I know there was a timeskip later in the episode, but STILL, you just met! Slow down Haru! Also he needs to learn some self control because that punch he landed on Shizuku looked like it hurt quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom