• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
Space Brothers is an adaptation of a seinen manga, albeit an adaptation that, at least in its first year when it aired early Sunday mornings, is squarely aimed at children.

I didn't figure kids would be interesting in these NASA/JAXA shenanigans, but that's pretty cool.

The pacing is probably a lot more frustrating when marathoning it. Watching it week to week over a year, I actually enjoyed having a nice slowly paced and relaxing show to watch every weekend.

Yeah you're probably right.

Shounen Hollywood S2 7

I'm not entirely happy with the way the President goes about manipulating the emotions of the Shounen Hollywood members. I know he thinks he's doing what's best for the group, but it seems unnecessarily cruel at times.

Minami-ke Okawari 3-13 (END)

Significantly worse art than season 1. So much so, that i put this on hiatus after being pissed off at the poor colour contrasting and weird eye designs. I binged it over the last couple of days and found it very enjoyable, but still not as good as season one.

Not a bad watch, but obviously not as good as It could have been.

Season 1> Season 2

Season 2 is the worst of the Minami-ke seasons. Things improve again from there.

I'm also enjoying Space Brothers right now, and aware of the glacial pace.

But it doesn't really bother me until I get three recap episodes in a row this is not an exaggeration literally three full episodes of recaps.

The recap episodes were made when the show changed timeslots from Sunday mornings to Saturday afternoons before Detective Conan. I assume the TV station mandated those recaps be made to make sure new viewers in the new timeslot would be caught up on the story. It's easy enough now to skip them.

I'm also enjoying Space Brothers right now, and aware of the glacial pace.

But it doesn't really bother me until I get three recap episodes in a row this is not an exaggeration literally three full episodes of recaps.

I think they did that when they changed time slots, but I don't know why you'd watch those episodes.

Russ T

Banned
That makes sense that they did it when they changed slots. That's an acceptable excuse. But when I ran into it last week I was just flabbergasted.

Also I didn't actually watch them, don't worry. I wasn't even really upset about it, haha. Just, like I said, flabbergasted!

John Blade

Just got this in today. Just in time for Christmas. Will make a quick impression of this item itself when I have a chance to watch an episode of this show.

duckroll

Only 3 recap episodes in a row? Sounds like the show doesn't have anything on Wolf's Rain. Once again BONES wins.

WPhZvZc.gif

me irl

Mailbox

Beautiful bones episode 12 (END)

Okay, this series was better than expected but not as good as I was hoping for.

Feel a little cheated by the ending, since we learn nothing about sakurako's little brother and we don't even get fully into things with the big bad. It feel like a beginning that's never gonna get a middle or an end, which is far too common in anime.

We need more complete stories in anime, half stories are annoying.

Either way, the episode itself was fine as a last episode.

duckroll

Wouldn't that just make four straight recap episodes all the more disappointing?

They're not really considered part of the series, so I don't see why it really matters ultimately. It's also amusing looking at behind the scenes stuff on the production of the show, and how commentary in the Kawamoto artbook, commentary in the DVD insert notes, and even production stuff like scripts and storyboards, all tend to have episode numbers which are out of sync with the released episode numbers because those episodes were never planned. Lol.

Tuck

Wolf Children
This was... beautiful. Not just from an animation standpoint, but the story was just so entire;y captivating. Seeing the two children choose their own paths, and ultimately both leave the mother alone (for different reasons) was quite sad. The only think that maybe I didn't like was the fact that the old guy sort of vanished from the story, and never really explained why he cared so much. And also the reason the dad bailed at the beginning.

Probably my favourite work from this director so far.

John Blade

Welp....just got myself some time tonight to do a very quick test of watching an episode of this series on Blu-ray. Note: this isn't going to discuss about the show but the Blu-ray I bought from someone. Also, I will post more impression about this Blu-Ray Version in few days once I have a chance to gather some more info here.

For old anime fans here, Maison Ikkoku was release in North America in DVD by Wiz in 2003 and they is 8 DVD box set for the entire series. Unfortunately, they're all out of print and if you want to get them online (eBay or Amazon), they're much harder to find (mostly the later 4 box set and for this reason, the price for the later 4 is expensive. The 1st four box set, they price is kinda reasonable. For me, I pay a nice penny for my collection as box set 2 to 8 is still isn't open yet from the package.

For fans of the show, you will have to watch it from streaming from illegal site now or buy the DVD box set as Wiz isn't going to release this show in North America. In Japan, they release the entire show in two Blu-ray box set plus another box set for the OVA. Unfortunately, those aren't even cheap costing close or over $1000 dollars and both don't have eng sub to understand what the people in the show talking.

Now, the one I got is actually a Special Blu-Ray as it does come with the eng sub and also eng dub from the DVD. From what I have watch for 10 min, the picture quality is much crisper and the eng sub match most of the scene when a person talk. They is few scene when the eng sub didn't appear when the person talk but it will pop up few second of the character talking. I will need to watch few episode to see if it's very common or small minor issue. The weird thing I saw when I watch the show is at the end of the episode (during the ending theme) the eng sub will pop up not for translate the song but give you info of what was say in the show or general info of the main and support characters in the show. I think I will have to post a pic or two for people to say.

For now, this special Blu-Ray look very promising. Unfortunately, the person I bought this from, isn't doing the 2nd half of the show as of now, so, I will have to go back to the DVD of the show to continue watching if no one is translate the eng dub onto the later half of the series. Will post quite a few pics when I have some time to look into.

Mailbox

Shomin Sample 12 (END)

Barack-Obama-Confused-gif.gif

wtf?

This was... what?
Its like every overplayed anime harem ending trope played straight (I'm sure they tried to go for absurd-ism, but jesus... way to fail at that.)

Note to everyone: if your show doesn't use absurd elements, don't do what this ending did in its first half. It just ends up being corny and annoying rather than "WHOW WACKY!!"

The last third returns to being rather normal for the series and works well, though.

Anyone else feel a bit weird how we got practically nothing out of the maid or the childhood friend at all? I expected a bit more. Disappointed on that front...

Soul Eater 21

Well the first half of the episode played out exactly to it's "she's gone mental and I'm enjoying every minute of it" expectations. The second half was different to say the least, still enjoyable but different from what I thought it was going to play out.
I'm betting Crona's Heel-face turn doesn't last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom