• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shouta

Catching up with last week's episodes because I was still overseas, lol.

Asterisk 12 - END

Finally, a fight that they've been promising in the show. I love the tactics they used for the entire match and the animation was really good. I also really liked the color used as well. Getting a bit of back story on Priscilla and Irene just before the fight helped carry the ep a bit more and I liked how it smoothly transitioned into a preview of next season.

Overall, I liked this season for Asterisk. It has problems, but it does a lot of setup that makes me a bit hopeful for the second season of the show, especially if we can get fights like this last one. If they can kinda tone down Kirin and Saya stuff a bit and focus on the story more, that'd be great. I'd really like them to emphasize moments more to generate the moments that resonate.

Grade: B-

Rakudai 12 -END

The fight was disappointing, especially after Shizuku's match with Toka. On the other hand, I really liked the direction of that moment in the episode. The color transitions, the animation with him squeezing out his abilities even further, the framing of some of the moments, etc. I think the worst part in there was Toka's hella goofy looking stance.

The other parts of the episode were the continuation of the contrived BS from the last episode but I liked Ikki's dad getting told to fuck off from Stella's Dad. I'm also super interested in how Alice and the VP fights.

Overall, I think Rakudai is a super bumpy show. It has some great highs but it also has some super low-lows. I think the strongest point for the show is simply the directing of the animation. This is the one aspect that Rakudai absolutely blows Asterisk out of the water. The director knows how to build tension and intensity in the fights and there are a lot of great looking sequences despite maybe not being animated extremely well. Honestly, I'd want this director to work on Asterisk instead, lol

On the other hand, the writing of the story is nowhere near the level it needs to match up to the directing. Probably an issue with the original novel which makes me wish the writers decided to take some liberties with it. I also don't really like the cast overall. Ikki is easily the best character of the bunch with Alice, despite lack of overall screen time, in 2nd. I personally like Toka too and Stella isn't too bad. Everyone else is kinda eh and a little annoying, or really annoying in Shizuku's case.

That said, I'd like to see a second season if it hasn't already been announced. The fights could be really awesome in the national tournament.

Grade: C

K Return of Kings Episode 13 [END]

Impressive final episode, they even updated K's theme to make it feel all final bossy with the lead up to the final moment involving the series defined science talk and speculation with the Sword of Damocles and Dresden Slates.

Key fights of the season were clearly Sukuna v MisakiXFushimi and Mishakuji v Kuro.

K continued to be a great experience in sound with its soundtrack. It also had good style for its fights, the constantly moving camera, characters clearly running and flipping in fights, and lots of nice particles and disco ball light effects going on in this episode. I loved it all.

Easily one of the top anime franchises of the past five years. 10/10.

Ushio and Tora 26 END

Pretty weird spot to end, but an enjoyable show regardless. Not too far from the typical shonen fare but its executed in a way thats fun to watch, with good production values and detail.

Hackadoll 13 END

8X0CIS0.jpg

Super enjoyable show. Best TV series Trigger has worked on.

Kagewani 13 END

Kagewani has this classic horror movie feel (most obviously Alien, but kinda Halloween and The Thing too) from the way everything is framed and how the monsters are portrayed to it that I really appreciate. Really neat short series, I recommend it. I should probably watch Yami Shibai more.

Line_HTX

Haha, that's exactly the reason this is scary. I mean, even the so popular SAO does something like that...

Shokugeki No Soma 19

Please, stop teasing Autumn elections so much. They sound huge, so I guess they'll mostly happen in S2 but I'm still hyped. The anime does a great job hyping them up... Anyway, a lot of set ups and many new characters. We got that super strong girl, that Erina obsessed girl and Akira, the spice man. All of them are interesting in their own way. Hisako vs Nao needs to happen, only one of them can be Erina's girfriend.
Hisako.
I just can't wait to see more of Alice and Hisako. They both look interesting and get so little screentime.

You can't stop the perfect OTP! Oh-hohoho.

I hope Alice gets more screentime in S2. She's too good to not be there.

Qurupeke

She will get a lot.

Best news today.

Noragami Aragoto [END]

HebZLVa.png
rx8RNvm.jpg

Colour me surprised at that twist in the end.
So, the so hyped Father was that kid that Hiyori kissed. I totally forgot he existed, wow. The ending scene was too good. And Nora says goodbye for now, finally.
I liked the ending but I'm still salty over the first arc. I guess I still found the season good and I hope the next season, which will obviously happen, will be better than this and more consistent.

We need more little Ebisu. Sooooo cute.

Fafner Exodus (2nd Season) Episode 26 – Tatsumiyajima

Really!? What kind of writing is that.
only two of my characters survived to the end, bleagh

I hope a next Fafner is announced in 2016, because we still have Festum out there, the world is still at war, and
we've exodused. I want to see when they get back

Hackadoll 13

Really neat series, shorts are always so fun and there's almost never a dull moment in them compared to anime with longer airtime. Same goes for Somera-chan and Kagewani, would recommend all of them.

Clov

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I think I will watch Hackadoll later on. It's not a huge time commitment, so I might as well give it a shot.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I have TUSR's account and I'm going to WIPE ALL HIS ANIMU.

jgminto

Gundam Thunderbolt 1
Not sure how much I'm going to get out of the story but it was certainly a visual and audio treat. I've never been a fan of the beam weapon combat in Gundam, it seems to turns battles into bursts and lines of light but even if that's all there is in Thunderbolt, it at least captivates visually. It's on the other end of the spectrum compared to Tekketsu which has some rough animation but impresses with the strategy and tactics presented in the battles.

Merry Christmas everyone. I got a "could have been worse, but I still loved it" ending today.

Fafner: Exodus S2 26 (End)

And what an ending that turned out to be. So much happened, some of which was expected -
Kieth going Fenrir crazy, the Exodus plan and Tatsumiyajima abandonment, Soushi dying, Sakura's mom, Emery, Narain, and Yumiko returning to the Mir
- and a lot of which unexpected -
Billy going full vengeance, Altair being sealed, Seri also being sealed, Soushi turning into a baby
- and the multiple hanging plot threads -
Altair is still a blank Mir, Mitsuhiro, Raison, and Prometheus's Gordian Crystals are still there, Burns's fate is unknown, the hints everywhere about retaking the island, Kazuki and Soushi promising to reunite again

Overall, I do think it was an ending in the same situation as Dead Aggressor, where they could leave it as is and let the audience draw whatever conclusion they want, and then announce some sort of continuation down the line. I do hope for an announcement of any kind though, but I can accept ending it here if they didn't. Until then, I'll just be sad that it's over.

Despite the somewhat questionable ending, still AOTS and AOTY for me. Everyone should watch Fafner.

Ascheroth

Fafner Exodus 24 - 26 (END)

I continue to be amazed at how consistently stunning this show looks. And the battles and soundtrack are consistently stellar and even better when they combine to a battle alongside an insert song!

And the deaths in this show sure hit hard, of that I was reminded plenty :(
But at least some good things happen...
Thankfully Mimika is alright again. What had happened to her was probably the cruelest sideeffect of them all. Well, they were all plenty cruel though...

I'm not quite sure what I think about this ending. It resolved some things, I guess, but not really. But it also feels somewhat conclusive in its non-conclusiveness, huh. Well, I hope for a season 3 in 10 years.

But all things considered, this is going to be my AOTY.

Noragami Aragoto 13 [END]

With this episode the show went from an 8/10 to a 9 for me. What a beautiful finale. With this we got to see an arc in which Yato struggles to find meaning in his own self, only to find it thanks to Ebisu and all of his own friends. There were so many touching moments in this episode, I thought everything was done beautifully. With the very last bit after the credits, I feel like we will be getting another season of Noragami soon. Kinda wish I wasn't spoiled on who Yato's father was, there was no surprise for me there. Anyway, great show, absolutely loved this season and I am more than ready for more!

"Kuma Miko: Girl Meets Bear"
April 2016 premiere date, additional cast and visuals

Old PV

The manga follows Machi, a middle school student who serves as a shrine maiden (miko) at a Shinto shrine enshrining a bear (kuma) in the recesses of a certain mountain in Japan's northern Tōhoku region.
Machi's guardian is a talking bear named Natsu, and one day Machi says to Natsu, "I want to go to a school in the city." The worrywart Natsu then gives Machi — who is ignorant in the ways of the world — a set of trials that she must pass in order to be able to survive in the city.

Narag

Magical Somera-chan 11-12

Good stuff. I think overall that Ai Mai Mi was stronger but I certainly wouldn't say no to more Imazaki Choboraunyopomi adaptations as they're fairly unique in the amount of creativity on display.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom