• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I read Left Hand of God, Right Hand of the Devil last month I get this. His characters certainly do yell a lot.

Edit: Wow, Wonzo is right. That is Umezu. I didn't even you said the wrong guy.

Oh? I must confess I haven't read either manga artist seriously, but it looks kind of like the Hakaba Kitarou OP, and madp on Twitter said the episode was referencing Mizuki.

Narag

When Marnie Was There

I know I read here that Arriety was perceived to be rather un-Ghibli but between this and that film, it's a shame that Yonebayashi didn't get the chance to be this sort of third face for the studio what with these two examinations of the fragility of existence. Of course, I still need to go through the Takahata stuff so maybe he has that covered but it's probably for the best Ghibli is gone as we really don't deserve these films.

It's def Umezu because of the faces and the "Aaaaaaaaaaaaah"

I just read Hitler by Shigeru Mizuki and it's a different style.

OK, good to know. My manga literacy is not so great.

When Marnie Was There

I know I read here that Arriety was perceived to be rather un-Ghibli but between this and that film, it's a shame that Yonebayashi didn't get the chance to be this sort of third face for the studio what with these two examinations of the fragility of existence. Of course, I still need to go through the Takahata stuff so maybe he has that covered but it's probably for the best Ghibli is gone as we really don't deserve these films.

Marnie hit me really hard on a personal level. Just thinking about the end credits song chokes me up. Yonebyashi seems to be attached to an ex-Ghibli producer who set up a new studio, Studio Ponoc, this year, so it's likely we'll be seeing more of him in the near future.

Narag

Marnie hit me really hard on a personal level. Just thinking about the end credits song chokes me up. Yonebyashi seems to be attached to an ex-Ghibli producer who set up a new studio, Studio Ponoc, this year, so it's likely we'll be seeing more of him in the near future.

Like I mentioned on twitter, the movie really resonated with me. In particular was Anna's idiosyncrasies which sorta hit home like Watamote did with other posters in this thread. :lol

KAGEWANI episode 12
download.png

'How is my plan to
turn these horrible monsters into biological weapons not panning out
?

It usually goes so well in the movies!'

Narag

The Fight Between the Snipe and the Clam
An actual Chinese cartoon for our thread about Chinese cartoons. 10 minutes, 1984, etc. It's neat as its sort of this this dialogue-less illustrated proverb that doubles as a nice little bit of nature animation.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
When Marnie Was There

The weirdest part about Marnie was how no one gave a shit about the mother. She just served as a bridge between grandmother and grand daughter.

Narag

The weirdest part about Marnie was how no one gave a shit about the mother. She just served as a bridge between grandmother and grand daughter.

Between Anna never really knowing her and everyone in the movie having affection (read: bias) towards Marnie, I don't think it's too far out there to not be all that concerned about that source of grief.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Between Anna never really knowing her and everyone in the movie having affection (read: bias) towards Marnie, I don't think it's too far out there to not be all that concerned about that source of grief.
I mean... it's still her mom though. lol
It's just odd because these types of stories are usually about the whole Oedipal/Electra complex thing and trying to come to terms with their parents.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Gundam Thunderbolt

Damn that shit is smooth

Asterisk - episode 1

Either it's super generic or I've seen this beginning before...

Ore Monogatari - episodes 1 & 2

I don't know if I can handle more episodes of this dumb pig gorilla not realizing she's into him. My heart can't take this, I'm fucking old!

I didn't play that, but I have heard good things.

But I did play the second season of the Walking Dead, and the first season of Game of Thrones.

They were terrible.
Walking Dead S2 was a huge disappointment after season 1, and Game of Thrones is admittedly bad. I only ever hear praise for it from rabid tv fans whose whole world revolves around what they like. They can't comprehend it isn't that great because "I love game of Thrones"

Cornbread78

Asterisk - episode 1

Either it's super generic or I've seen this beginning before...

Ore Monogatari - episodes 1 & 2

I don't know if I can handle more episodes of this dumb pig gorilla not realizing she's into him. My heart can't take this, I'm fucking old!

Yup, Calvary and Asterix start exactly the same bit deviate slightly during the season.

Now with Ore, after the initial "misunderstandings" there is nothing but oohy, goohy, sticky sweetness to look forward to. The show is really, really good.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
rakudai kishi no cavalry 11
Yuuichi Nihei storyboarded this episode. The breakneck pacing stacked on top of old Hollywood facsimile was very jarring. I spent like an hour looking up other stuff this guy has worked on and a recurring theme seems to be him coming in late in a shows life to make things sort of bad. Or worse i guess, since a lot of this stuff is already bad. These definitely aren't the kind of people that can make up for Oonuma's blind spots as a director.

Sterok

Go Princess Precure 45

These last two episodes are awkward for me. I like the premise a lot more than Kirara's episodes, and it's executed pretty well too. It's just with a character I don't care much for. Ah well. Might as well enjoy it. Ranko is still the best side character. She should've appeared more. Yui is a cheater. Precure could really use more insert songs. Minami's angst feels appropriate. She's definitely the type that wouldn't want to let down her parents. Mermaid still knows how to kick ass. I'm surprised Shut is only now getting his last chance. Seems that Minami's parents know their daughter pretty well. Good for them.

Quasar

Noragami Aragoto 13 [END]

With this episode the show went from an 8/10 to a 9 for me. What a beautiful finale. With this we got to see an arc in which Yato struggles to find meaning in his own self, only to find it thanks to Ebisu and all of his own friends. There were so many touching moments in this episode, I thought everything was done beautifully. With the very last bit after the credits, I feel like we will be getting another season of Noragami soon. Kinda wish I wasn't spoiled on who Yato's father was, there was no surprise for me there. Anyway, great show, absolutely loved this season and I am more than ready for more!

Yeah. I really liked it too. And it didn't all line up with what I expected. I thought for sure the Bishamon plot would come back here.

Glad you mentioned the end credits bit, first time I watched it I just stopped not seeing it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 5:

Yes, yes indeed, this is what I had been truly missing from ever increasingly hated Nisemonogatoari. Yes. the emotional content, character growth and sheer chutzpah for an anime series to actually deal with relationships and emotions in a complex and sophisticated fashion, it is all here. Oh yes, special props should be mentioned for this series in actually advancing shit romantically, it really does feel like the freshest thing because of how little it is done.

Noragami Aragoto 13

I expected a few things. I didn't expect
Ebisu to just explode.
A solid ending.
Get fucked Nora.

Anyway, Noragami Aragoto wasn't as strong as the previous season.
The first half was a bit disappointing. But the latter half made up for it. I'd still rate it above most other supernatural action anime.

Jex

But is that bad?!

Boy and the Beast is quite bad, yes.

I mean, hmm, how to put it - I think the film fails so often on a structural level that I can't recommend it all. Some parts of it are very good indeed but the flaws in terms of the writing and the structure really ruined the movie for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom