• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kickz

Nothing like winter break and diving into that anime backlog.
WORKING!!! -S3 ep03
WORKING!!!%20-%2003%20-%20Large%2005.jpg
Currently marathoning season 3 of Working!! and I just got to the ep 3 when the chief and Sanji go on a date.
And they hugged plus we got a confession
never knew this day would come after seeing first season 5 yrs ago ;_;

Haikyu s2 13

Good match showing how a team of people with superb ability can defeat one person with overwhelming ability. Hinata defending Shimizu's honor at the end there lol

Seraph of the End Episode 24
download.png

Time for Yu's silly angel powers to save the day!
download_1.png

Hahaha

So Seraph of the End has a problem that a lot of shows have where it feels like it's ending just as it's about to get really good.

Kureto's plan didn't really seem all that well thought out, considering how easily his giant monster got taken out.

The ending feels rushed, because apparently they ran out of things to adapt. So it's questionable if this is canon or not.

Overall a fun 7/10.

Qurupeke

No. Though you might get more out of the sequels than I did since you won't be waiting years between installments and forgetting most of the details.

Nope, I dropped it already.

No. Don't force yourself to watch it because it has the Code Geass name.

I was afraid that would be the case. I'll probably drop it for now.

Nope. It almost seams pointless as it will be an OPM/Shirobako cicle jerk, but someone needs to do it still. You game? C'mon, take one for the team!

I'd like to try, but I'll be a bit busy at late January-early February, so I don't want to leave this incomplete.

Seraph of the End S2 - 12 [End]

There was a whole lot going on, resulting in some scenarios feeling too quickly resolved and unsatisfying to a degree. I'm also not sure I understand everyones motives and reasonings for their actions, nor the "power rules" of this universe.
I was getting some Eclipse vibes from the episode, which unfortunately played with my expectations. Animation was rather well and there were a few nice cuts scattered around.

I leave this episode with more questions raised than answered. I guess they want me to seek the answers from the ongoing manga (that it is now caught up with?)
Unforunately for them my main reasons is Shinoa and the backgrounds, one of which isn't in the manga, leaving me with not much desire to venture further.

All that said though, the second season was an improvement on many fronts such as the production side of things, characterization and general flow of the 'story'.

Episode Backgrounds Album

Albums S2:
E01, E02, E03, E04, E09
-
Season 01 Albums

Just T

Hackadoll 13

What a way to end this lol. This was an enjoyable short for the most part, got some laughs here and there.

Ushio and Tora 26

Kind of an awkward end and felt a little rushed tbh. As a whole though I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. Ushio and Tora are very entertaining to watch from their bickering moments to the more serious ones. The side characters were alright as well. I’m looking forward to the next season, not sure if it’s going to finish the story though.

Noragami Aragoto 13

Great episode.
I was not expecting Ebisu to explode, that was shocking. The scene right before that with him talking to Yato was sad enough.
I enjoyed this season more than the first one, especially without all that Yukine drama. Learning more about Yato and seeing him develop more was great.

Here’s to a third season. In the meantime might catch up on the manga.

Ascheroth

Ushio and Tora 26

Kind of an awkward end and felt a little rushed tbh. As a whole though I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. Ushio and Tora are very entertaining to watch from their bickering moments to the more serious ones. The side characters were alright as well. I’m looking forward to the next season, not sure if it’s going to finish the story though.

It's been confirmed it's going to cover the entire manga, so there's nothing to worry on that front at least.

JCG

Code Geass: Akito the Exiled 1

Does this get any better?

I was afraid that would be the case. I'll probably drop it for now.

Man, you really shouldn't have rushed to watch that. I like it, but it's a very different beast. Honestly, I think you'd get way more instant entertainment value out of waching Gun X Sword, which is a rather crazy action/adventure story with the same directorial style as Code Geass (after all, Goro Taniguchi created both of them) but with a totally different premise and script, rather than jumping right into something like Akito the Exiled without knowing what exactly you're getting. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and argue that you'd probably get more enjoyment by checking out next season's Active Raid too, which also looks like a lot of fun.

Here's the deal about Akito: Kazuki Akane, the director, is not trying to tell a fast-paced action/adventure story. He's being very deliberate and even ponderous, prioritizing the world-building and general sense of mood rather than trying to make characters who will immediately ooze charisma. They have a few interesting traits, in my opinion, but they're addressed somewhat more subtly. It doesn't help that the first episode is the slowest of them all in terms of the flow of events. There are more exciting developments later on, but it's a given that you're more likely to enjoy Akito the Exiled if your mindset matches Akane's creative interests and priorities, rather than the other way around. If you find his tastes boring or think he's moving too slowly, it won't work out. And, of course, it helps if you're not allergic to 3DCG mecha.

For that matter, it should be made clear that the theme of Akito the Exiled is not about the liberation of Japan. It's more about how a specific group of people, some of them Japanese, have to survive in the middle of a war, with the discrimination angle not even being their main problem. It's just something that is being taken for granted, for better or for worse, as part of the fictional universe.

Finally saw Star Wars. Fuck you spoilers, I needn't hide any longer mwahaha. As far as summed up impressions go:
Enjoyable first view. But...oh so very flawed. I'm destined to like it less the more I think about it.

---

Since Engaged to the Unidentified (Mikakunin de Shinkoukei) got mentioned above. That show contained one of my least favorite anime tropes. This 'guy helped you a long while ago and even though everyone knows that really doesn't mean you're in his debt or you should love him...it's framed just liked that anyways!'

It's especially annoying because the characters in shows where this occurs usually tend to outright say that this shouldn't mean anything when applying some logic.

In that specific show's case it was the worst because that guy had no personality and nothing to be attracted to other than some generic goodheartedness. "He helped you once 10 years ago and he's nice. You should marry him." Blergh.

Kvik

Crossposting from the Let's Watch thread:

The Future Diary - Series Impressions

Mirai_Nikki_26_BD_23_46.jpg

let's meditate on this

I feel like Mirai Nikki went too far out and tipped the scale after "being so bad it's so good", going to "making almost no sense, it actually makes sense", and ended up in "fuck it, let's go all the way in and see where the rabbit hole leads us". I almost felt the same way with Cross Ange, given the sheer craziness of the two. Cross Ange ending made more sense to me, however.

The animation quality was serviceable, but nothing to write home about. (I remember the early chapters of the manga wasn't so good either). The mangaka has since improved though, his current ongoing series, Big Order has much better illustrations, although I'm not so sure about the story.

As for the romance bits, of course Nishijima ended up with Minene (where is the cycle #1 Minene though?) And the mayor ended up with the orphanage inchou? lol.

I enjoyed my time watching Mirai Nikki for the most part, laughing at its sheer craziness. Especially for the past 3 episodes since this is a festive season and I am under the influence of alcohol in one way or another. It certainly helps.Now I got to watch the OVA in the hope that it all get explained, somehow. (probably not)

Qurupeke

Man, you really shouldn't have rushed to watch that. I like it, but it's a very different beast. Honestly, I think you'd get way more instant entertainment value out of waching Gun X Sword, which is a rather crazy action/adventure story with the same directorial style as Code Geass (after all, Goro Taniguchi created both of them) but with a totally different premise and script, rather than jumping right into something like Akito the Exiled without knowing what exactly you're getting. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and argue that you'd probably get more enjoyment by checking out next season's Active Raid too, which also looks like a lot of fun.

Here's the deal about Akito: Kazuki Akane, the director, is not trying to tell a fast-paced action/adventure story. He's being very deliberate and even ponderous, prioritizing the world-building and general sense of mood rather than trying to make characters who will immediately ooze charisma. They have a few interesting traits, in my opinion, but they're addressed somewhat more subtly. It doesn't help that the first episode is the slowest of them all in terms of the flow of events. There are more exciting developments later on, but it's a given that you're more likely to enjoy Akito the Exiled if your mindset matches Akane's creative interests and priorities, rather than the other way around. If you find his tastes boring or think he's moving too slowly, it won't work out. And, of course, it helps if you're not allergic to 3DCG mecha.

For that matter, it should be made clear that the theme of Akito the Exile is not about the liberation of Japan. It's more about how a specific group of people, some of them Japanese, have to survive in the middle of a war, with the discrimination angle not even being their main problem. It's just something that is being taken for granted, for better or for worse, as part of the fictional universe.

I have to say that you actually sell it better than the first episode. lol If the second episode is actually better, I'd really like to give it another chance tomorrow. The thing is, what you mentioned was not apparent at all. I guess the world building is there, but Code Geass already has an established world, and this seemed to barely base itself on this and tried to make something new, that felt out of place. Also, the characters certainly didn't seem like that. It was like the show took the personalities of Lelouch and Suzaku, put them in a blender and then made two new characters. They didn't appear to have any hidden charisma.

The last thing you mention is by far, the most interesting. I think, other than the characters, this was my biggest complaint. The first episode even had veeery similar scenes, but in the end they did have a different conclusion I guess. Still, the Europians gave me the same vibe as the Brits, despite expecting them to be very different.

Ascheroth

D.Grey-man - 06

That's what happens if you think you can play hero, little boy...
Hevlaska is such a strange being.
Some important information about Allens past and the Millenium Earl appears already.
I goddamn love the design of Allens arm and the general atmosphere of the show.

And how the hell did that cliffhanger work so well even though I've read the manga?

phaze

I didn't realize that there was a fervor for me to watch it from yourself. If that's the case maybe I will, but I can't promise any interesting thoughts on it :p

The fact that IIRC, you've had it on your shelf for months is already vexing enough. Now that you liked Ping-Pong there's just no excuse !

I'm pretty sure Tokyo Ghoul:Re got confirmed somewhere

Just some noise from Funimation or a similar source. Nothing from our Japanese overlords.

Quasar

Interesting that only one LN series is on the chart. And one that I never see on LN charts.

The mediums listed though...does that mean they are only including that one in the numbers. So for instance the SAO numbers only include anime and not manga and novels?

The Tres Bieeeeen OVA of TG didn't have any hint for :re? Well, other than the fact it's closely connected to it I mean.

It animated Matsumae and Hori and gave them both voice actors so that could mean something.

Interesting that only one LN series is on the chart. And one that I never see on LN charts.

The mediums listed though...does that mean they are only including that one in the numbers. So for instance the SAO numbers only include anime and not manga and novels?

I think Oricon includes everything.

Love Live still going strong and color me surprised that SNK beat One Piece.

Also looking at Tokyo Ghoul sales, a Re adaption is destined to occur. I'm glad that Gintama is selling well.

Pretty huge drop for One Piece from its heyday years. Back in 2011 total sales for One Piece volumes were ridiculous 38 million. Almost more than rest of top 10 combined.

Which is probably how it always is. Certainly I've made the complaint lately, but I think its just I'm more exposed to the source material so I notice it more.

Given the generally poor quality of anime writing, I'm not cut up about not having more anime-original projects. We don't really need more stuff like Classroom Crisis and Comet Lucifer. What we do need is more adaptations of legitimate novels such as Mouryou no Hako.

phaze

It animated Matsumae and Hori and gave them both voice actors so that could mean something.

It means that Pierrot and other powers that be lost sight of what they want to do with franchise.

I want :re to happen just to see how the hell they they'd even handle it given Root A's ending. (And assuming they don't just abandon that entire storyline.)

One Piece volume sales are still above AoT's manga wise. If I were to blindly guess about how AoT made more revenue with less sales, One Piece has far more volumes in circulation and AoT's may cost more.

Not sure, though. Since OP is weekly (if Oda feels like it) and AoT is monthly, OP will probably beat AoT forever since there are more volumes coming out a year. Plus there wasn't an OP movie this year and those do extremely well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
One Piece volume sales are still above AoT's manga wise. If I were to blindly guess about how AoT made more revenue with less sales, One Piece has far more volumes in circulation and AoT's may cost more.

Not sure, though. Since OP is weekly (if Oda feels like it) and AoT is monthly, OP will probably beat AoT forever since there are more volumes coming out a year. Plus there wasn't an OP movie this year and those do extremely well.
I mean it's sort of like comparing Verizon to AT&T. They are both stupidly popular.

HAIKYU!! 2nd Season Episode 13
CXLyjPrWcAAk7ne.png
CXL0VkoWcAAgnm5.png

I love Sho-chans cheering squad, I hope they show up tomorrow.

Good episode, glad it finished in just one episode as well so we can move on to bigger and brighter things.

Also Kinoshita screentime and Ennoshita lines, counting down the days until Furudate lets either one start in a match.

JCG

I guess the world building is there, but Code Geass already has an established world, and this seemed to barely base itself on this and tried to make something new, that felt out of place. Also, the characters certainly didn't seem like that. It was like the show took the personalities of Lelouch and Suzaku, put them in a blender and then made two new characters. They didn't appear to have any hidden charisma.

I can't promise you'll like the second episode but, if nothing else, I hope you do try to watch some of the other shows I've mentioned. Frankly, I don't think there was anything "out of place" in the worldview presented by the first episode. Other than the fact that the original Code Geass did almost nothing with Europe. Which is the reason why Akane ended up using that part of the world as a new playground, so to speak, in order to create another story. I do wish he had more time to explain certain details, but even in the real world we see how refugee populations aren't always welcomed with open arms.

I do not think the cast has a ton of charisma either, but my point was that fictional characters can be interesting in other ways and possess different traits. Which may not necessarily be immediately obvious nor universally appreciated. That's admittedly subjective. Let's take Akito himself. I recall the first episode made him come across as almost bipolar by mixing a coldly fatalistic attitude with a berserker state. I'd say he's easily less mentally healthy than Suzaku, even if the most obvious reason for their problems involves a parallel cause (
a Geass command, albeit under totally different circumstances
). I am more interested in finding out the full truth of the mystery behind his nature, so to speak, rather than looking for any charisma (at best, there are mere fragments of that in his more "normal" actions).

Quasar

Given the generally poor quality of anime writing, I'm not cut up about not having more anime-original projects. We don't really need more stuff like Classroom Crisis and Comet Lucifer. What we do need is more adaptations of legitimate novels such as Mouryou no Hako.

Certainly it would be nice to see non YA novels adapted. But I'm not relly surprised, just as I'm unsurprised to see Hollywood deep mining YA fiction, which I expect to get worse as they chase the next Hunger Games.

Makes sense really if your audience is in large part YA.

That said...I would really like to see the second Eccentric Family novel adapted. Of course the second novel might be awful. Or hell adapt some more Josei for me to watch.

Gintamen

I'm in the middle of Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso and my heart is aching. Can someone spoil me and tell me if it has a happy end or not? Don't want to know the plot, just if there is one or not.

Ascheroth

D.Grey-man - 07

I actually didn't plan on watching another episode today...

HOLY SHIT WHAT IS WITH THE FORESHADOWING IN THIS SERIES!!
Seeing Mana
in the Noah-tuxedo as Allen killed him
just blew my mind. God dammit. This is stuff that gets relevant only like 150 chapters in.
Lenalee also joins the fray alongside Allen against the Lv1 Akuma army and I never really noticed this in the manga or thought about it, but her stockings are actually part of her Innocence (lol, this reads so wrong).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom