• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, it's probably a mean thing to say, but I wish Bones could just skip the second season of Snow White, and give us the rest of Concrete Revolutio next season.

No because Ive been waiting months for more OBI, just look, how could anyone not want OBI.
tumblr_nsowrhWOXr1r60zuio1_500.gif

Brave Beats Episode 11
CXMuJZ_WcAAUgaC.png
CXMuJbgWMAAL5mJ.png

Onions, oh well at least it was a fun episode around curry. The new crow boy was fun. Still enjoyed Hibiki pulling through to the end beliving in Breakin.

Next week is a hot springs episode. Cant wait.

Tuck

Just watched Paprika.

I have no major comments, other than: That was really f-ing weird.

I enjoyed it. Though the villain was pretty meh.

Toei can't really compete with Imaishi craziness. Episode 3 is back to GAINAX and Imaishi but is again toned down compared to episode 1. I think Toei was quite upset after episode 1 and asked GAINAX to tone it down.

That's a shame. When I asked about more modern GAINAX works people said to watch it.

[Re: Cutie Honey] - 03

So much Hideaki Anno this time around.
This episode got some more nice animation in the first fight and some nice Itano circus.
I found myself wanting to see more of Honey normal life, but understand that's not possible with a short OVA series, even the end was pretty rushed.
In the end I had fun with it, episode 01 was the best.

Chindogg

Well since I'm running out of stuff to watch with the season transition, what's the verdict on Nanatsu no Taizai?

It's good

Cool. Pervy action comedies are kinda my thing since I'm burning out with serious shounens and tragic stories just depress me way too much.

Well since I'm running out of stuff to watch with the season transition, what's the verdict on Nanatsu no Taizai?

Cool. Pervy action comedies are kinda my thing since I'm burning out with serious shounens and tragic stories just depress me way too much.

Well, sounds like you already know what to expect. Even as someone who likes Shonen, I didn't think the manga was especially good. No rhyme or reason to the power levels, they start off sky high and every fight feels like a never ending slugfest. The authors other work (Kongou Bonchou) was kind of similair but that worked better and the MC didn't grope every woman he saw.

JoJo and HxH have spoiled me.

Narag

Grave of the Fireflies

Heartbreaking as expected but not nearly as hard on me as I had thought it'd be. For some reason, I had associated this with the nuclear attacks as opposed to the firebombing so had watched Barefoot Gen forever ago to get that out of the way first. That one did a number on me with how raw it was so it was actually a welcome reprieve to see how genuine and refined this one was.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If you happened to miss my review of Mamoru Hosoda's The Boy and the Beast you can find it here.
You do end with this though!
Phew, I think I’m done. Despite all that I have said, I really did enjoy my time watching the movie, its glaring faults just stood out to me as issues that should have been addressed at the script stage and they really detracted from my enjoyment of the film.
But it does sound like a mess of a story.

Mailbox

Anti-Magic Academy: The 35th Test Platoon 1- 12(END)

This show was much more of a mess than I expected. And really stupid, too.

I could probably write a whole essay on how stupid or annoying things were here, but I really don't feel like it.

What I will say is that the direction was bad, the cinematography was bad, and each arc was bleh, to say the least.

I didn't find the characters themselves to be bad, but damn each arc just straight up was meh at best and terrible at worst. Everything feels rushed, and all character emotion and breakdowns hardly matter at all. Character Arcs are fine, but having that be the entirety of the show without showing anything substantial post the arc is just bad storytelling.

Though, this anime never made me mad. That's something.

The only plus i can say is that the first minute and 20 second of the first episode is great...... And then it starts sucking.

I think what Chivalry, Asterisk, and this have taught me is that execution is everything.
I enjoyed Asterisk
I found Chivalry interesting
And I found Anti-Magic to be poor

Kickz

Working!! Ep 14(1hr special) -End

Kinda eery that the finale came out on the day I decided to marathon this. I didn't even know that there was a special up until an hour ago when I saw ep 13 lol.
Anyways this third and final season of Working!! was definitely the best yet, we got all of the logical ends for alot of the character arcs and no loose ends were left, although I preferred Popura getting the nod over Inami. Anyways gonna miss this show ;_;

Revolutionary Girl Utena 39 END

tEuw5bb.jpg

This has got to be my favorite shot in the entire show.

So it all comes full circle in a beautiful way. Princes and coffins. I almost teared up. The sequence really reminded me of the last scene in Rebuild of Evangelion 2.22.

Anthy's character threw me for a goddamn loop in the last five episodes but the payoff at the end here is sooooooooo good. Fuck Akio.

There are still a lot of things I don't get but I assume it's supposed to be that way. No real answers for why Miki clicks on his stopwatch for example, or how Akio and Anthy ended up down the path to begin with or...what the hell all the Nanami episodes were but I don't really need explanations for a lot of that. One thing I did miss was something to do with the Black Rose arc. What was the point of that, and who was that androgynous dark skinned guy that Mikage was talking to with the Black Rose? Was that Dios? I totally missed out on something there in a way that isn't just I'm confused, but I actually completely missed it somehow. Other then that...at the end of one episode (34?) Anthy said to Utena "Who are you?" and I don't think that was ever expanded on, and in the preview for 37 or 38 Anthy said she despised Utena but it didn't really feel like that. Only other thing I feel like I missed.

I got no clue what the movie is about but I've heard it's really out there and weird and I am in for that shit. Really, all that matters is that I finished this before Firehawk did.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Revolutionary Girl Utena 39 END

So it all comes full circle in a beautiful way. Princes and coffins. I almost teared up. The sequence really reminded me of the last scene in Rebuild of Evangelion 2.22.

Anthy's character threw me for a goddamn loop in the last five episodes but the payoff at the end here is sooooooooo good. Fuck Akio.

There are still a lot of things I don't get but I assume it's supposed to be that way. No real answers for why Miki clicks on his stopwatch for example, or how Akio and Anthy ended up down the path to begin with or...what the hell all the Nanami episodes were but I don't really need explanations for a lot of that. One thing I did miss was something to do with the Black Rose arc. What was the point of that, and who was that androgynous dark skinned guy that Mikage was talking to with the Black Rose? Was that Dios? I totally missed out on something there in a way that isn't just I'm confused, but I actually completely missed it somehow. Other then that...at the end of one episode (34?) Anthy said to Utena "Who are you?" and I don't think that was ever expanded on, and in the preview for 37 or 38 Anthy said she despised Utena but it didn't really feel like that. Only other thing I feel like I missed.

I got no clue what the movie is about but I've heard it's really out there and weird and I am in for that shit. Really, all that matters is that I finished this before Firehawk did.

I could tell you what the movie is about but that will have to wait. The stopwatch has been the subject of much debate and speculation but there is no real answer to it. The path Akio and Anthy started upon is there and is probably one of the more important parts of the anime. Black Rose is a mediation on the writings of everybody from Carl Jung to Ovid, it has its point but it the weakest and most disconnected portion of the series. Namami by contrast was the show getting in touch with Loony Toons, surreal and absurd comedy. Those two points you raise are likewise rather important to the overall ethos of the series and moreover to the flaws in the character of Utena.

Defuser

Working!!! Ep 14

After 3 seasons...it's finally over.... I'm so sad we don't get anymore of this since they tied up every loose ends and got the endings that so many people wanted. One of the best shows this decade because it's good and it actually finished unlike other show adaptations. I'm so happy.

Mailbox

Working!!! Episode 14 – Lord of the Takanashi (END)

A fitting end. Good episode.

We need more anime that run the whole story and tie things together like this.

Its sad to see this end, but at least it ended better than servant x service (while i really liked servant x service, the way they altered the end was crap.)

:3

Might be an odd question to ask here but have there been any notable sales on Anime DVD's and BD's in Canada? Some shows I'm looking for include Dragon Ball Z Kai, Studio Ghibli flims, Lupin the 3rd titles, and Tiger & Bunny: The Rising.

Lain

Fafner Exodus S2 26 [END]

I liked this show. I didn't watch much this season, but this was the one whose episodes I was looking forward to the most each week.
I don't have complaints about the ending, just about a side point: the stupid revenge angle they had going with Billy's brother.
I can get over the crazy girl who has no problem at all murdering in cold blood unharmed civilians, women and kids, laughing about it and flirting after doing it BUT will take it as the gravest sin that the shitty dude died and go seeking revenge. She's shit, so there is character consistency in a shit character consistently staying shit.
But Billy... Billy, how can you say your brother was a just man. I mean your brother, the one that killed all those innocent people you were trying to protect. You wanted to take revenge for him? I just... have no words.

Kickz

Working!!! Ep 14

After 3 seasons...it's finally over.... I'm so sad we don't get anymore of this since they tied up every loose ends and got the endings that so many people wanted. One of the best shows this decade because it's good and it actually finished unlike other show adaptations. I'm so happy.

^Yes, rare to have an anime end with an ending that is agreeable. I am gonna miss Sanji and Chief the most

Kickz

Working!!! Episode 14 – Lord of the Takanashi (END)

A fitting end. Good episode.

We need more anime that run the whole story and tie things together like this.

Its sad to see this end, but at least it ended better than servant x service (while i really liked servant x service, the way they altered the end was crap.)

:3

Woah didn't realize ServantxService was by same Mangaka, need to see that next =D

Servant x service isn't quite as good. But it gets positive points because it has

Looooooooosheeeeeeeeeee

I'll have to watch the working special when I get back home from vacations though.

ibyea

Banned
Now that I finished all my graduate school applications, my self imposed exile is over and I can start watching anime again, woohoo!

The Perfect Insider - 11, end
An all right end to an all right show.
Although like Nishinosono I am left flabbergasted on the fact that Saikawa admires Magata so much considering how monstrous she is.
Also, it sure ends in a random as hell scene.

Mailbox

I like the setting and some of the character interactions in Servant x Service more than Working!!, and i'd probably like it even more if they didn't alter then ending into a half-assed one (there is nothing left to adapt, and yet barely anything is finished),

But Working!!'s length, plots, consistency, and overall gags are better.

Both are great and I rewatch both every so often. We need more anime set in workplaces (or rather we need more sit-com like anime)

Now that I finished all my graduate school applications, my self imposed exile is over and I can start watching anime again, woohoo!

The Perfect Insider - 11, end
An all right end to an all right show.
Although like Nishinosono I am left flabbergasted on the fact that Saikawa admires Magata so much considering how monstrous she is.
Also, it sure ends in a random as hell scene.
What was your major if I may ask? I see so many folks going straight to graduate school but it might not always be necessary/the best option

Fafner Exodus S2 26 [END]

But Billy... Billy, how can you say your brother was a just man. I mean your brother, the one that killed all those innocent people you were trying to protect. You wanted to take revenge for him? I just... have no words.
I do agree that Billy got the short end of the stick in terms of final characterization. It's even worse when you see
all the other NUN forces immediately drop the attack and aid them when they find out what D-Island is actually doing, but Billy, who knew the entire time, is the one who actually betrays them
. I like to believe that he was going to shoot and miss on purpose, as he really did seem guilt-wracked and confused over what to do, but Mizoguchi safely didn't want to take any chances.

alternade

So other than Seraph of the End and Gundam, I haven't watched anything else this winter/fall? What else was noteworthy? Any good comedy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom