• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

Anyway, some research has shown that Mouryou no Hako is actually the second in a series of folklore-based mystery novels. The first in the series, The Summer of the Ubume, was translated into English by Alexander O. Smith and published by Vertical. Unfortunately it appears to be out of print, but thankfully interlibrary loan is an option. I'm really curious to read it.

I'll be interested to see what you think if it. I have been struggling to read it for a few years now. I find Kyogoku's prose is utterly turgid; it just goes on, and on, and on. The characterisation is spot on, but unfortunately this is offset by the fact that Kyogokudo (the character) spends all his time explaining folklore and talking in philosophical circles, which grinds the narrative to a halt without really feeling like it reveals very much.

It's certainly not a light read, is all I will say - and it's likely you'll enjoy it more than I am, as I never even finished watching Mouryou!

Chindogg

From my understanding, there's nothing left to adapt.

At worst, nothing happens.
At best, an OVA to actually tie everything together properly.

I'm pretty sure there's a few chapters left where the main relationships actually pay off instead of the weird interruption finish the anime had.

Mailbox

HAIKYU!! 2nd Season Episode 13

Okay, guys.
I love this series, I really do, believe me.

But my god, the constant reuse of animation is getting under my skin.

They really need to stop using that spin animation. It was amazing the first time, then got overused in that same episode, and in this episode it was unwelcome.

I get why they reuse stuff, i do. I love the series in spite of it, but ffs. This anime reuses animation more than 90% of the anime I watched this year. geez, its frustrating when a good anime has this kind of blatant problem. >.<

Theonik

That's a shame. When I asked about more modern GAINAX works people said to watch it.

[Re: Cutie Honey] - 03

So much Hideaki Anno this time around.
This episode got some more nice animation in the first fight and some nice Itano circus.
I found myself wanting to see more of Honey normal life, but understand that's not possible with a short OVA series, even the end was pretty rushed.
In the end I had fun with it, episode 01 was the best.
I still think it's worth a watch mind. It's an interesting piece of perspective on the people involved if anything. Episode 1 is the most fun. Wouldn't have said no to a loner series about Honey and the Cop though.

L.O.R.D

Valkyrie Drive Mermaid 12 END

just finished watching it , i really hate how they incorporate hentai with this show
is it that hard to transform other people to weapons without sex ? soul eater did it.
i was really shocked and laughed very hard on the tentacle scene , this is just overdone.

when they gone to space and shine , isn't that suppose to cure all the infected from earth ? that scene was not necessary.

Mirei is the most bland/boring character i've ever seen.

i loved how they show us the two main characters from the game, i hope they localize it.

if this show didn't include hentai scenes and nudity , i was going to give it 7.

the sound track is amazing.

Theonik

It's really weird to complain about that when it's literally the whole gimmick. If it's not your cup of tea you really shouldn't watch it at all!

phaze

Afro Samurai 1-5
afro29gjc3.jpg
afro14mjgv.jpg
afro3xokyt.jpg
afro46qkx5.jpg

Who knew Gonzo saved anime. And 9 years ago already to boot.

It's not much more than a campy revenge flick, one that fortunately, doesn't take itself very seriously most of the time but even with some spotty voice acting here and there and some terribad dialogue, I quite liked. If you want some really good sword fighting animation, this is one of the best places to get it.

Worth it for Samuel L. Jackson hamming it up as intensely annoying companion of Afro alone.

Okay, guys.

They really need to stop using that spin animation. It was amazing the first time, then got overused in that same episode, and in this episode it was unwelcome.

I get why they reuse stuff, i do. I love the series in spite of it, but ffs. This anime reuses animation more than 90% of the anime I watched this year. geez, its frustrating when a good anime has this kind of blatant problem. >.<

With the exception of the first episode, I'm not seeing the animation quality that impressed me in the first season. Maybe it will change in the last episodes as they play more and more important teams.

TUSR

Banned

just finished watching it , i really hate how they incorporate hentai with this show
is it that hard to transform other people to weapons without sex ? soul eater did it.
i was really shocked and laughed very hard on the tentacle scene , this is just overdone.

when they gone to space and shine , isn't that suppose to cure all the infected from earth ? that scene was not necessary.

Mirei is the most bland/boring character i've ever seen.

i loved how they show us the two main characters from the game, i hope they localize it.

if this show didn't include hentai scenes and nudity , i was going to give it 7.

the sound track is amazing.

It's really weird to complain about that when it's literally the whole gimmick. If it's not your cup of tea you really shouldn't watch it at all!

yeah lmao

From my understanding, there's nothing left to adapt.

At worst, nothing happens.
At best, an OVA to actually tie everything together properly.
It really is. The biggest issue with working is that most of the character progression made in season 1 is lost in season 2 for the sake of keeping the status quo.

But then season 3 happens and it makes you forget that aspect of season 2.

I played the old Afro Samurai game. Not the recent one that was an aborted mass of pixels that some people actually bought, this one.

I remember it being really awkward.
Like they had system in place where you could target certain body parts at certain angles, but I could never get the hang of it. That, and it did a really bad job of conveying the story.

Gintamen

Its a badly written ending
Now that I'm finished, thanks for reminding me that your opinion regarding anime/manga is rather trifling.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso - 22/end

Maybe not a happy ending, but a bittersweet one that came without any suprising twist and I'm quiet appreciative of that. It's probably time for a rewatch of Nodame Cantabile though, Kawasumi as Nodame willl sweeten up any day.

jgminto

image.php

What?

Qurupeke

I think I'll try to start the AOTY voting thread, if there's still no one else up for it . If people are okay with this, I'd like to have the voting period until 20/2, unless, of course, someone is willing to prepare the results earlier, like 1/2 as usually. 19/2 is the last day of exams period, so I doubt I'll be able to do it earlier. lol I'll certainly need some help, especially with a banner and maybe a funny gif or two. If someone can help with that, please pm me.

I think I'll try to start the AOTY voting thread, if there's still no one else up for it . If people are okay with this, I'd like to have the voting period until 20/2, unless, of course, someone is willing to prepare the results earlier, like 1/2 as usually. 19/2 is the last day of exams period, so I doubt I'll be able to do it earlier. lol I'll certainly need some help, especially with a banner and maybe a funny gif or two. If someone can help with that, please pm me.
I thought someone else already called it and we're waiting until the end of the year

Mailbox

This year was so weird with anime in that I remember what I watched but for the life of me when it aired is never retained.

Stuff like Your Lie In April, Death Parade, Kuroko's basketball 3, Maria the virgin witch, Shirobako, Hibike! Euphonium and a bunch of others aired or finished airing this year. (some of these i actually haven't watched yet, but i could have sworn they weren't this year :S )

They feel much older than they actually are to me .

I feel like we need a massive list as a refresher.

L.O.R.D

i was talking in general , for me it was not a problem, i loved this show.
the problem is it was hard for me to recommend this show for any of my friends.

Qurupeke

Why so long? One week should be more than enough, so people that might be interested see it, and we get some fun results fast. Why make it seem more important than it is.

True, but it's usually a period of a month because people (try to) finish their yearly backlog. I prefer a week too though.

Exalted

True, but it's usually a period of a month because people (try to) finish their yearly backlog. I prefer a week too though.

Ok i see, still a bit strange, you don't see that in other OTY threads, like games, TV shows or movies, they don't wait for people to finish their backlogs.

If I recall correctly BGBW called it but I might be wrong. I'd say to wait until more regulars are here to ask if someone actually recalls someone calling it. If not it's likely all yours.

TUSR

Banned
Previous voting end dates:
  • 2011: The deadline for voting is 11:59 pm PST on January 22, 2012. Any posts or edits timestamped later than this will not be valid.
  • 2012: The deadline for voting is 11:59 pm PST on January 29, 2013. Any posts or edits timestamped later than this will not be valid.
  • 2013: Deadline: 31/01/2014 23:59 UTC 01/02/2014 08:00 UTC
  • 2014: Voting will close on January 31st, at 23:59 UTC, in the Year of our Lord 2015.
Its safe to say the voting period doesn't go to 2016-02-20.

Theonik

image.php

Just follow your heart. I don't think you not wanting to recommend this show is surprising or well, important. People should know what they are in for and if they are OK with it well... Whatever.

wonzo

Banned
zombi 2

would give it 3/4 stars if it wasn't thanks to all the gore & violence. don't get y they'd have all this messy stuff in a movie like this&#8230;

get better friends!

pbayne

Gundam IBO 13

No! A bad episode for fans of Atra.

MCGillis is so smooth. The most Char since Char.

Shino and blonde kid are being paired pretty strongly. Yaoi in Gundam?

The one thing that worried me is the seeds of Mikazaki turning into usual Gunam protag of "mu pacifism". Please don't happen or at least make it somewhat different.

Even though I can't vote it for AOTY since its not finished and they could still fuck it up, if the second half of the show keeps up this standard it will be front runner for AOTY 2016.

jgminto

Gundam IBO 13

Even though I can't vote it for AOTY since its not finished and they could still fuck it up, if the second half of the show keeps up this standard it will be front runner for AOTY 2016.

You can vote for anything that aired episodes this year.

Narag

Why so long? One week should be more than enough, so people that might be interested see it, and we get some fun results fast. Why make it seem more important than it is.

Aside from a matter of free time while stuff is airing, some of us like to see what rises to the top this time of year so we can see what's worth watching out of what we missed. And yeah, for a popularity contest, it's not that important but it's nice to have a decent list in the end given the AOTY results thread for us today is a recommendation thread for others tomorrow .

Mouryou no Hako

I hope the "wow" here is a good thing. I certainly don't want to be disappointed!

It's a good thing, don't worry. The last two episodes are the "detective gathers everyone together and explains the whole mystery" denouement that's typical with mystery novels, but it's way more explosive than usual!

I'll be interested to see what you think if it. I have been struggling to read it for a few years now. I find Kyogoku's prose is utterly turgid; it just goes on, and on, and on. The characterisation is spot on, but unfortunately this is offset by the fact that Kyogokudo (the character) spends all his time explaining folklore and talking in philosophical circles, which grinds the narrative to a halt without really feeling like it reveals very much.

It's certainly not a light read, is all I will say - and it's likely you'll enjoy it more than I am, as I never even finished watching Mouryou!

I can see that - certainly the middle of Mouryou no Hako has a lot of dense excursions into folklore and philosophy that were difficult for me to follow. But it has such a way with overall narrative construction, and I'm interested in learning more about Japanese culture anyway, that I have to read what's available. Worse case scenario, I can skim Kyogokudo's lectures!

Okay, guys.

With the exception of the first episode, I'm not seeing the animation quality that impressed me in the first season. Maybe it will change in the last episodes as they play more and more important teams.

I can hardly believe what I'm reading. I'll admit I'm only up to episode 8 in Haikyuu S2 so far, so maybe the production completely falls apart afterwards or something, but I haven't noticed any reused animation (except one time with the diving penalties in the first away games, but that makes sense and adds a comedic touch), and I think if anything the production has improved from the first season. Everything is so polished, from the action on the court to subtle character movements off the court. The most impressive episode is probably episode 4, a solo key animation episode where Hideki Takahashi not only manages to animate the whole thing up to the polish levels of the rest of the show, but also includes several standout cuts. It may not have the wild off the hook action animation of One Punch Man, but the consistent high quality is impressive in its own right.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If I recall correctly BGBW called it but I might be wrong. I'd say to wait until more regulars are here to ask if someone actually recalls someone calling it. If not it's likely all yours.

Nope. I'm happy for someone to take the roll of vote counter.

I think Cornbread78 showed interest in it. Well he asked if I could make a banner so it sounded like he was showing interest, but that's an assumption and we all know what they say about assumptions… Though I guess I can help out with graphics if anyone wants that.

Also a tip to whoever does it, make sure the voting deadline is highlighted, bolded, illuminated and displayed at least 87 and a half times. People will leave voting to the last minute and assume the time.

Okay, guys.

It did feel like the episode reused the same hits and receives we've seen before (quite sure one was used twice in this episode) as well as that one amazing ball spinning one.

------------

I need this Brave Beats! Flash Beat!
CXMDaviUwAAUwGu.jpg:large

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Episode 13:

Shipping wars never change, aside from that, this was a damn fine episode in it reflection of war. This will be on the AOTY list but I could never give a half finished series the crown.

Szadek

Revolutionary Girl Utena 39 END

There are still a lot of things I don't get but I assume it's supposed to be that way. No real answers for why Miki clicks on his stopwatch for example, or how Akio and Anthy ended up down the path to begin with or...what the hell all the Nanami episodes were but I don't really need explanations for a lot of that. One thing I did miss was something to do with the Black Rose arc. What was the point of that, and who was that androgynous dark skinned guy that Mikage was talking to with the Black Rose? Was that Dios? I totally missed out on something there in a way that isn't just I'm confused, but I actually completely missed it somehow. Other then that...at the end of one episode (34?) Anthy said to Utena "Who are you?" and I don't think that was ever expanded on, and in the preview for 37 or 38 Anthy said she despised Utena but it didn't really feel like that. Only other thing I feel like I missed.

I got no clue what the movie is about but I've heard it's really out there and weird and I am in for that shit. Really, all that matters is that I finished this before Firehawk did.
Akio wants to reclaim his powers, He lost them when he lost his nobiltity.
It's not exaclty explained how it happend,but as they say...
75a6e4635d26603d64b9675c00756014.500x206x21.gif

I'm pretty sure Nanami episodes are just comic relief.

The black rose arc was about Akio manipulating Souji Mikage into creating more duellist for Utena.
The black Mamiya Chida was actually Anthy and the real one died years ago in the fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom