• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

Gundam IBO ep 13
Oh my god, Mikazuki you sly bastard. That is some balls of steel you did there, poor Atra lol. And goddamn that guy got brutally sliced in half.

I'm seriously thinking of voting this for AOTY. I can't believe I'm saying this for a Mari Okada writing.

Gundam IBO ep 13
Oh my god, Mikazuki you sly bastard. That is some balls of steel you did there, poor Atra lol. And goddamn that guy got brutally sliced in half.

I'm seriously thinking of voting this for AOTY. I can't believe I'm saying this for a Mari Okada writing.

Yeah. The contrast between this show so far and other works of Okada is pretty crazy. Maybe Gundam was her calling lol.

Gundam IBO ep 13

Hanasaku Iroha and Nagi no Asakura were both AotY contenders when they came out. :l

duckroll

Yeah. The contrast between this show so far and other works of Okada is pretty crazy. Maybe Gundam was her calling lol.

I dunno. The milestones all feel pretty Okada to me. She doesn't write the majority of episodes for the series, so of course a lot of it isn't going to feel like the stuff she writes every single episode for.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Gundam Thunderbolt 1
That first Pov of Zaku getting rekk was cool. The living dead is a lot more interesting character than Io Flemming and co.

Valkyrie Drive Mermaid 12 END

just finished watching it , i really hate how they incorporate hentai with this show
is it that hard to transform other people to weapons without sex ? soul eater did it.
i was really shocked and laughed very hard on the tentacle scene , this is just overdone.

Have you seen Noragami?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I strongly appreciated the Haruna disappearance jokes reaching its natural conclusion in which she disappears as Otoo is actively looking at her.

I dunno. The milestones all feel pretty Okada to me. She doesn't write the majority of episodes for the series, so of course a lot of it isn't going to feel like the stuff she writes every single episode for.

Oh. Didn't know that. Still hopefully quality stays as great as it's.

duckroll

Concrete Revolutio - Episode 13 (End)

They held back a lot more than I thought they would, so that's a bit disappointing. But the way the episode was constructed as a finale to the first half of the story is pretty good. It had good momentum and made use of the large supporting cast well. But Aikawa being Aikawa, he just couldn't resist. He HAD to put in something which would be a huge -WTF- flag. Right at the end. It works really well as a teaser hook for the next part of the show next year too, but it's so obviously the hand of the author going "L@@K!!" that I can't help but roll my eyes.

Good show. Will watch the next season.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I was beginning to doubt how much I liked IBO after a couple of slower episodes that didn't do much for me outside of Orga as well as some anime-common stuff that grates on my nerves, but #11 and especially #12 have steered the ship back on track. Digging this show overall.

Man... for just one second I thought A Certain Magical Index was going to be a fantastic show. It didn't end up going the way I thought.
I was hoping Index would actually get her memories erased, Toma would set his resolve and try to figure out a way to save her through science, time would skip and we would find ourselves with a very different Toma and a very much the same Index.

Now I have to keep watching to find out if it's decent or not.

Edit: Never mind. This seems good too.

Edit: Never never mind. I've been bamboozled. Pranked. Tricked. Decieved. Deluded. Hoodwinked. Swindled. Had the wool pulled over my eyes.

Edit edit: I'm fucking done talking about this show until I watch the whole thing. It keeps tricking me.

irmy19k.gif

Ascheroth

Okada Gundam - 13

Hahaha, Mikazuki, taking those words from Turbine right to the heart.
Great episode all around again. The scene
where Orga took the enemy kids in
was really heartwarming.

Qurupeke

Quick question. Is 15/1 okay for a deadline for the AOTY thread? It's a bit more than 2 weeks, starting today. It seems I'll be making the AOTY thread so I want to complete the whole thing before late January.

Cornbread78

Nope. I'm happy for someone to take the roll of vote counter.

I think Cornbread78 showed interest in it. Well he asked if I could make a banner so it sounded like he was showing interest, but that's an assumption and we all know what they say about assumptions… Though I guess I can help out with graphics if anyone wants that.

Also a tip to whoever does it, make sure the voting deadline is highlighted, bolded, illuminated and displayed at least 87 and a half times. People will leave voting to the last minute and assume the time.

I asked like 4x who was doing it, lol. Work is too busy to make the tally spreadsheet and could that thread, lol. It's all you you brotha. I asked you to make a banner with GAF-CHAN featurimg pictures of any but Saitama and Shirobakka for you know, reasons, lol.

javac

UK Posse, how is your experience with RightStuf and customs?

I made an order with RightStuf that shipped on the 5th of December and the package itself arrived on the 16th of December. The total was $97.96 ($118.42 including delivery) and I didn't have to pay any import duty. It had a sticker on the underside with the price of the items sans delivery, and the package was marked as merchandise but on the top it said freight prepaid on the sticker. The receipt inside listed the items but had no price next to them.

On the other hand I've seen people hit with import duty so maybe it's hit and miss.

Narag

Concrete Revolutio 13 FIN

Pleased something ambitious came together as nicely as it did (even moreso than Kagewani which is impressive given the larger scope) as well as doubling as a lead-in to a second cour. This is probably going to end up as my favorite show of the year but I can't say it's for everyone. The whole "comicbookness" of it all speaks to me so easily but I can see others not having any patience for it at all.

Narag

Quick question. Is 15/1 okay for a deadline for the AOTY thread? It's a bit more than 2 weeks, starting today. It seems I'll be making the AOTY thread so I want to complete the whole thing before late January.
Sounds restrictive given how it's traditionally run, especially coming off the holidays. I was looking to have some time to spend with a few more shows in Januaray, not feeling as if I should rush things.

Phatmac

Glad more action is in the show considering how long thd training arc was. Having match after match each week is a great return to form. It's great to see Hinata overcome another tall guy with new techniques and his quick hit. The last scene with him defending his manager was so damn cute. Still, Yachi is the cutest with her reaction faces. She's the best.

Concrete Revolutio 13 FIN

Pleased something ambitious came together as nicely as it did (even moreso than Kagewani which is impressive given the larger scope) as well as doubling as a lead-in to a second cour. This is probably going to end up as my favorite show of the year but I can't say it's for everyone. The whole "comicbookness" of it all speaks to me so easily but I can see others not having any patience for it at all.

Really nice impact shot there.

Theonik

I made an order with RightStuf that shipped on the 5th of December and the package itself arrived on the 16th of December. The total was $97.96 ($118.42 including delivery) and I didn't have to pay any import duty. It had a sticker on the underside with the price of the items sans delivery, and the package was marked as merchandise but on the top it said freight prepaid on the sticker. The receipt inside listed the items but had no price next to them.

On the other hand I've seen people hit with import duty so maybe it's hit and miss.
As long as it doesn't go with Parcelfarce which have a vested interest in getting you done in customs it's really luck of the draw.

Both the OP & ED are so good about that hiding in plain sight thing.

The ED is awesome in this show, using it in during the show is so cool, even if they did it for the third time in a row I'm always hyped. Especially since Jiro was releasing his locks.

Edit: second cour airs spring 2016 right? Man that season is going to be stacked.

Qurupeke

Concrete Revolutio [END]

It was good.
I don't really like the way the offed Claude, if he is even dead, but other than that it was satsifying. Considering Jiro's origins, Master Ultima and Akita and co, aliens should play a bigger role next season.
I'll wait for S2 patiently because there are still a lot of questions. And I want to see the Yokai boom.

Let it run till midnight 31/1 like previous years.

Yeah, I guess I'll keep the customs intact. lol

duckroll

So... regarding the S2 teaser for Concrete Revolutio....

- Attack of the Flying Saucers

- Explosive Growth in Superhuman Population

- Jiro the Fugitive vs Superhuman Bureau + Public Safety Department + Imperial Ads + Raito Shiba

It'll be interesting to see the things Jiro does in the future being framed in proper context. It sounds like things get a lot more chaotic in the coming years. What's interesting is that they seem to be trying to set things up such that Jiro and Raito are both fugitives against all the other factions, but working on their own and against each other for whatever reason. It's kinda weird since Raito is seriously underdeveloped in the first season outside of the third episode.

The designs that flash through the preview also suggest that we'll be seeing new designs for the aliens who are controlling Japan, complete with color coding, as well as a big new upgrade for Jiro's mech.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sounds restrictive given how it's traditionally run, especially coming off the holidays. I was looking to have some time to spend with a few more shows in Januaray, not feeling as if I should rush things.
Well we both know that Kancolle is #1 so that's easy at least.

Man... for just one second I thought A Certain Magical Index was going to be a fantastic show.

It's an entertaining show. I think it's popularity makes a lot of people over-rate it but even with a lot of the tropey bullcrap it hits, it makes for a fun watch. I never regretted watching it.

Also, Toma punches a lot of women. Like, a lot of women.

Narag

My Neighbor The Yamadas

So my preconception of this movie was colored by how people talked about it and Takahata back in the day. Once up on a time, Ghibli was just Miyazaki what with how it was portrayed in the west (at least In my experience) and Takahata was just this other guy that sometimes made a movie for them. The reason Miyazaki's always came over but Takahata's didn't was they were "too japanese" including this one. I didn't know what to expect going in as a consequence but a series of familial vignettes was definitely not something I had considered. All the little tales about the Yamada family are simple and beautiful making for what feels like the most universal Ghibli film as opposed to something not given deserved attention for being something non-traditional.

Phatmac

Lots of death and destruction does mean that love can spring in the aftermath as bro said. With it comes the realization that Mika probably needs help to aid his combat tendencies but I fear it'll only get worse. The whole reborn stuff was pretty weak and came off as cliche. It's probably true considering how Char that guy is acting with the care for his loli fiancé. It came off as a bit creepy but he's probably just manipulating her. There was a lot of love in the air and the ending scene was pretty shocking. Poor Altra. Oh well I'm more interested in this relationship instead.

My Neighbor The Yamadas

So my preconception of this movie was colored by how people talked about it and Takahata back in the day. Once up on a time, Ghibli was just Miyazaki what with how it was portrayed in the west (at least In my experience) and Takahata was just this other guy that sometimes made a movie for them. The reason Miyazaki's always came over but Takahata's didn't was they were "too japanese" including this one. I didn't know what to expect going in as a consequence but a series of familial vignettes was definitely not something I had considered. All the little tales about the Yamada family are simple and beautiful making for what feels like the most universal Ghibli film as opposed to something not given deserved attention for being something non-traditional.

Yamadas isn't niche in subject matter - it's based of a newspaper comic after all, the equivalent of, say, Family Circus in the US - but it is non-traditional in what people expect from a film, particularly a Ghibli film. It has a unique art style (one of the earliest examples of digital animation used to its fullest potential), it is very mundane in its subject matter, and it eschews a unified narrative for a series of vignettes. So it's not surprising, if unfortunate, that it failed miserably at the box office when it came out.

Cornbread78

So I watched the first two episodes of Snow White with the Red Hair. I like GAF, I like it a lot.

Perfect timing to watch the second cour starting next week. Is a really comfy romance anime to watch.

I just hope there is no more kidnapping in S2, lol.

Shouta

Chivalry of a Failed Knight - 01

I'm gonna like this a lot, aren't I?

Edit: Why does this anime have like a dozen different names?

Because of the name. I just call it Rakudai aka "Failed Knight" to make it easier to distinguish.

At this point, I think Gundam IBO or Arslan Senki are probably my favorite animes this year. One Punch would follow that up for a top 3. Rokka then either Shokugeki, Seraph, or UBW for 4th and 5th spots.

Concrete Revolution Episode 13

All my favorites got screentime and did something, I thought we were never going to see Judas again and finally the answer to what happened to Earth-chan since we saw Earth chan in hibernation or something in a previous future clip.Loved the ending
since it was like everyone that Jiro helped came back to help him, lovely. Judas especially, Fuurota, and then the guy in the rocket suit (missed his name)

Yumihiko screentime too, could do more.

I hope the next half still focus on the youths being empowered to want change.

Also the full ED The Beginning is so good, definitely on my list of best Ed songs of the year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oynGb3gDf8

Concrete Revolutio 13
This was actually a pretty solid conclusion as they managed to keep the focus on the main characters. I look forward to having forgotten 90% of the subplots and characters by the time the 2nd half of this rolls around.

Concrete Revolutio - 13 [End]

An exciting 'stopping point' episode that managed to fill in and tie some crucial blank spots created by the storytelling format. As well as introducing and leave enough out to tease for what is to come. I had to rewatch the last scene to confirm what just happened.
I have few nitpicks that I didn't like, such as
the gathering of all superhumans to save Jirou. It felt a bit shoehorned to me. Also introducing (at least I think we haven't heard of it before?), and executing the tiger-personality-doll thing on Kikko all in one episode
My favorite little moment in this episode was when
Jirou started to activate his arm piece by piece timed in to each of Claude's sentences.

Concrete has been one of my favorite shows this season. The unusual storytelling, influences and vibrant world character designs all clicked with me and felt somewhat refreshing.
Watching this week to week over the past three months, while fun, has been a bit messy in remembering plot points, time-lines and characters.
I'd imagine binging this show would prove most satisfying, which is what I'll recommend you to do now before it starts again in spring!

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 13

Glad that the chump Mikazuki killed got offed fast. Couldn't stand him.

Flags were raised this episode. RIP Atra The dude saying he's setting the stage for Kudelia's death and it cuts to Fumitan...that's an omen.

Valkyrie Drive Mermaid 12 END

just finished watching it , i really hate how they incorporate hentai with this show
is it that hard to transform other people to weapons without sex ? soul eater did it.
i was really shocked and laughed very hard on the tentacle scene , this is just overdone.

when they gone to space and shine , isn't that suppose to cure all the infected from earth ? that scene was not necessary.

Mirei is the most bland/boring character i've ever seen.

i loved how they show us the two main characters from the game, i hope they localize it.

if this show didn't include hentai scenes and nudity , i was going to give it 7.

the sound track is amazing.

You can't seriously tell me that you watched every episode of Valkyrie Drive having a problem with the ecchi nature.

You should probably set the end date to the last day of January so people can finish things.

How are you setting up TV series, OVA and Movies? How many slots and are OVA/Movie combined?

Gundam IBO 13

I don't understand why this Gundam is so good. I mean, I get it, but I don't understand what conflux of probabilities came together to allow it to exist.

All that good shit everyone else is talking about but it totally looks like next episode we're finally gonna get some reveals regarding Fumitan. Is she related to the nobles? A spy for Gjallarhorn? What is her real identity? Who gonna die?!

I was thinking of going for 5, unless there is opposition on this.

5 TV series? You are insane! INSANE. I'm having trouble cramming it down to 10 (but I am probably an outlier in this thread)

5 Movie/OVA is fine. I recommend you look at Haly's thread last year. 10 for TV series is probably the best (but I will have trouble squeezing in Monster Musume and Cross Ange so maybe not)

Qurupeke

5 TV series? You are insane! INSANE. I'm having trouble cramming it down to 10 (but I am probably an outlier in this thread)

5 Movie/OVA is fine. I recommend you look at Haly's thread last year. 10 for TV series is probably the best (but I will have trouble squeezing in Monster Musume and Cross Ange so maybe not)

lol no, top 10 for TV series is a given, I was talking only for a top 5 for OVAs/films. I saw the previous threads, but 7 seem a lot for OVAs/films and 3 is the opposite. Definitely not going for 10 with them though.

lol no, top 10 for TV series is a given, I was talking only for a top 5 for OVAs/films. I saw the previous threads, but 7 seem a lot for OVAs/films and 3 is the opposite. Definitely not going for 10 with them though.

I think 5 for OVA/Film is fine? I won't even be able to fill that out, but it would be good for others to say what they think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom