• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol no, top 10 for TV series is a given, I was talking only for a top 5 for OVAs/films. I saw the previous threads, but 7 seem a lot for OVAs/films and 3 is the opposite. Definitely not going for 10 with them though.

5 is fine, the 10 we had last year was really excessive.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The OVA/Film category was increased last year because there was an uncommonly large amount of potential entries.

phaze

Revolutionary Girl Utena 37

Oh my Gooooooooood this show has gotten so amazing in the past four episodes.

Great episode, but the part near the end when Anthy and Utena are talking while drinking tea and eating cookies kind of short circuited my brain. They are just talking about the future and suddenly without skipping a beat or changing the tone of their voice they just drop a bomb on each other. "I poisoned those cookies." "Yeah, well I poisoned your tea." I am 100% certain I did one of these

baDWqUX.gif

and started paying fucking attention. That scene with the odd replaying and the radio skipping and the following scene where Anthy attempts suicide I rewatched like four times just thinking "What the FUCK is going on?" and I still don't know but wow, what an amazing scene. I'm unsure that any of that even happened, but I think from the ending of the episode it is pretty clear that it did, though.

Hah yeah. That episode was weird as hell and I had to rewind the scenes in question a few times, so out of the blue they were.

---
AotY list in progress.
  1. Owari,
  2. Arise,
  3. Yuri Kuma
  4. Yuriphonium
  5. FS/N
  6. OPM,
  7. Jojo
  8. Shirobako
  9. Death Parade
  10. Soma

I feel like I'm overrating Arise and Yuri Kuma because of long time that passed since I watched it. I wasn't even that taken with them but this is such a dire year that I can't really think of anything that I could put over them.

Also, cause why not OP's: Gits Arise < Hackadoll < Subete ga F < Owari 01 < Owari 02 < OPM < Kekkai Sensen < Death Parade <Jojo < FS/N = Lupin

and ED's: (in progress) Owari < Yuri Kuma < Concrete Revolution < Tokyo Ghoul Root A < Shimoneta < Soma < Noragami < Kekkai Sensen < Naruto Shippuden 33

My AotY list based purely on enjoyment
1. Non Non Biyori
2. Owarimonogatari
3. Shirobako
4. Kekkai Sensen
5. School Live
6. One Punch Man
7. Gatchaman
8. Death Parade
9. Punch Line
10. Gundam IBO

Ready to change it every 10 minutes as I remember anime I left off or mentally rearrange things. Or decide whether Soma and Euphonium need be on it.

MartyStu

Ooh, list time? Fantastic.

I am looking for recommendations from this season.

OPM was the only thing I had time to watch this go around.

lol no, top 10 for TV series is a given, I was talking only for a top 5 for OVAs/films. I saw the previous threads, but 7 seem a lot for OVAs/films and 3 is the opposite. Definitely not going for 10 with them though.

I would prefer having top 10 for everything combined instead of segregating non-TV anime to a corner most people probably won't even bother with.

Puruzi

Banned
Haikyuu
Monmusu
OPM
Gatchaman
Yuri Kuma
Show by Rock
Prison School
GoPri
Danmachi
Yatterman

After the top 4 nothing is in any order

I would prefer having top 10 for everything combined instead of segregating non-TV anime to a corner most people probably won't even bother with.

I think segregating it makes people vote for stuff they wouldn't otherwise, because if they were together I don't think I would vote for a movie/ova besides the Yamato movie.

Haly

I think the point is to give them a chance to be shown, actually.

Otherwise they're just going to get buried by <popular anime on Crunchyroll #24>.

Moaradin

One Punch Man
Kekkai Sensen
Gintama
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
Haikyuu!! Second Season
Shirobako
Shokugeki no Souma
Gatchaman Crowds Insight
Death Parade
Ushio and Tora

might swap Ushio with Arslan. Not sure yet...

Qurupeke

I see a lot of Gatchaman, I like it.

Like I said before, I really think a top 5 or so OPs would be a cool addition to the AOTY thread.

That's not a bad idea, but I really don't like the whole concept of more categories(and more work lol). I prefer the AOTY thread to be more about actual animes, than the songs around them. Of course, if many people want it, I guess I could work on it...

I'd prefer that too, but then films and OVAs that are worth it will definitely be lost to the great number of series. I think it's worth it to have an additional category just for them, even if they're not the main reason this thread happens.

Haly

Parasyte: Last place in Series AOTY 2014 got a score of 358 from 54 votes.

Kaguyahime: First place in Movies/OVA AOTY 2014 got a score of 198 from 30 votes.

So, none of the Movies/OVAs would've even charted if everything was in a single category, unless I nudged the vote weights, which I wouldn't have wanted to do. An actual "problem" is that people tend to overlook things outside the top, be it 3, 5, 7, or 10.

I think the point is to give them a chance to be shown, actually.

Otherwise they're just going to get buried by <popular anime on Crunchyroll #24>.

I understand the rationale, but I don't think it'll work. It's not going to get people to watch things they would otherwise not have, sadly, and the cream will not rise to the top simply due to lack of exposure. Will anyone else vote for When Marnie was There or The Diary of Ochibi besides me, whether there's a separate film category or not? I doubt it. Probably all vote for MeMeMe Chronic or something. I'd rather be able to give my honest opinion - and potentially highlight more than 5 non-TV stuff.

Theonik

I understand the rationale, but I don't think it'll work. It's not going to get people to watch things they would otherwise not have, sadly, and the cream will not rise to the top simply due to lack of exposure. Will anyone else vote for When Marnie was There or The Diary of Ochibi besides me, whether there's a separate film category or not? I doubt it. Probably all vote for MeMeMe Chronic or something. I'd rather be able to give my honest opinion - and potentially highlight more than 5 non-TV stuff.
Some people will. There is a lot of impact from those lists that might not be apparent.

Haly

I find the AOTY threads useful as reference/ammunition when making recommendations. The prestige factor matters, I feel, because I'm not the kind of viewer who writes essays on the stuff they consume (well not usually) so I don't have anything else to use.

Dragon Ball Super 25

Well at least it looked better then last episode, but kinda started falling apart again at the end there.

But I enjoyed the conversation between Beerus and Whis and Fat Beerus and Girl Whis. I'm hopeful the original arcs have more fun characters to add in.

Usually top 10 means "up to 10". In films, most people will put 2-5 films/ovas, depending of each person.

Ascheroth

It's list time?

Fafner Exodus
Soma
One Punch Man
Gintama
Stardust Crusaders
Death Parade
Kekkai Sensen
Rokka
Kagewani
Sidonia 2

I'm pretty happy with it currently, but it's probably still going to change.

phaze

If they're ONAs or actually air on TV, they're considered TV animes I guess. Otherwise OVAs/films. Ninja Slayer goes on TV animes, in case you want to vote for it.

Yeah.

I see. WIll put up Somera and Hackadoll pretty high up and feel a bit better about the list then.

Dragon Ball Super 25

Well at least it looked better then last episode, but kinda started falling apart again at the end there.

But I enjoyed the conversation between Beerus and Whis and Fat Beerus and Girl Whis. I'm hopeful the original arcs have more fun characters to add in.

Why have people still not accepted GT as one true DB canon and saviour ? Wake up sheeple !

javac

I don't think that I've ever looked at an AOTY thread and similar compilations (be it film or games) myself personally I guess because the shows that caught my attention in recent years (Ping Pong, Aku no Hana) seem to do so emphatically like a magnet, likewise for games (Splatoon, Mario Maker). It's no doubt that people's high opinions of these shows in this thread spark the flame but I don't know if I seek out such wisdom actively. Lack of time I blame for this. Like whispers in a playground rumors tend to just find their way to you somehow passively. Nothing this year has snuck up on me in the same way although a few things definitely caught my attention. Miss Hokusai and The Case of Hana & Alice are two that stick out, but these are the types of films that I'm usually interested in anyways without having to check out reactions and opinions and as such I haven't read anything up on them but I'm interested in seeing them when they come out. Having said that, the AOTY thread is a great addition to the forum as it gets people talking and allows people less vested in the medium to seek out the best of the year especially for people just jumping in or even veterans who haven't been keeping up with everything. Everyone's different in how they consume media I guess. As for the future, I'll see what the future holds when it comes but I can't see anything on the horizon yet. Hopefully Marnie comes out in the UK next year *grumble*

ibyea

Banned
Box of Spirits - 3
I feel like while the show is at times confusing, like the beginning scenes in this episode, so far I don't feel like it has been obtuse. I get the general gist of what is going on and what I don't understand I have faith that the show will reveal its hand towards the end. Some of the time skips though is not handled with grace, as it seems episode 2 and 3 have a really unsynchronized placement in time from each other.

A few points of note:
Yoriko and her parents are all sorts of screwed up, holy crap. The victim too,
I mean what is it with that whole I will be you and you will be me after death thing.

Sheesh, out of all hospitals they decide to bring her into a really creepy one. Someone hired a morgue designer to design a hospital.

That cliffhanger, now there is one heck of a mystery.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Probably all vote for MeMeMe Chronic or something.
I would actually be more surprised to see a vote for that than I would Marnie.

I think the movie/TV split has worked well in the past given the different size in audiences, and at least there's a larger window for exposure for less popular titles. It's kind of pointless to put a limit on the number of movie/OVA titles listed, or to structure it in a different manner than the television block. Ultimately that serves as an additional limiter on voters who have a more comprehensive familiarity with Movies/OVAs/shorts.

It's interesting to see what specific users vote for, and I get more out of that than the group vote, so I do understand what you're saying. I already get the feeling the group tally this year will be particularly disheartening for me.

Quasar

I find the AOTY threads useful as reference/ammunition when making recommendations. The prestige factor matters, I feel, because I'm not the kind of viewer who writes essays on the stuff they consume (well not usually) so I don't have anything else to use.

For me its seeing titles I'd not heard of getting lots of votes. Thats how I discovered Tsuritama.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
lolololol all these people wanting shorts to be moved from the main category because they are butthurt WUG Zoo is taking the crown. Please.

DTVZWhs.png

phaze

I never see it mentioned here but did anyone out of Monocle/Anime GAF maybe watched Ghost Hound ? Any thoughts on whether it's worth it ? Or whether the story ties up its loose ends and concludes in a satisfying way ? Konaka + Nakamura couldn't possibly be bad right ? I liked Lain or Texhnolyze, slow pace or Nakamura's directing style shouldn't be a problem if the story grabs me.

John Blade

Just going through a marathon Last Exile Fam, The Silver Wing right now. It starting to get interesting as I get closer to the end. I guess I might manage to finish this show today or tomorrow and then make an impression about this show. Then, I need to get back watching GTO and Rahxephon next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom