• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibyea

Banned
Box of Spirits - 4
You know the hardest part of watching this show? Keeping track of all the names, especially when for me it's harder to memorize Japanese names. Sort of makes things hard to follow.

I am wondering if there is any point to those abstract scenes or they are pointless pretentiousness. They are all sorts of creepy too.
Speaking of creepiness, the series of dismembering murder incidents was what this whole episode was about, which apparently is connected to Kanako's kidnapping.

Concrete Revolution Episode 13 Season 1 Finale
download.png

Spin this little bastard harder till he tells us everything!
download_1.png

That's not very attractive Emi.
download_2.png

Let's create our own independent superhero nation!

Okay, before I discuss anything, dat Nakamura right there.

A strong finale. Not a perfect one, but I was pretty satisfied with it. It plugged in some holes, while teasing other things. It went at perhaps a bit too fast in the latter part, and didn't go quite crazy enough in the first half, but they probably didn't want to go too over the rails.
Also fuck Claude.
I know some people were disappointing in how he went out, but it felt suiting to me. He died and literally no one cared. He was a spiteful bastard, more interested in getting back at Jiro than actually helping people.

Also, I'm calling it
Kikko is going to get her powers back in the second half, and kill Emi.

And dat stinger. Oh man. Dat stinger. I need season 2 now dammit. I need it.

ibyea

Banned
I was initially iffy on watching Concrete Revolution due to initial impressions, but it seems like it is a decent show at the end of it all. I think I will watch it.

Box of Spirits - 4

I am wondering if there is any point to those abstract scenes or they are pointless pretentiousness. They are all sorts of creepy too.
Speaking of creepiness, the series of dismembering murder incidents was what this whole episode was about, which apparently is connected to Kanako's kidnapping.

You mean the avant sequences, which generally are presented as excerpts of fictional stories by in-universe writers such as Sekiguchi? Yeah, there's a point to them all which will be made clear by the end.

ibyea

Banned
You mean the avant sequences, which generally are presented as excerpts of fictional stories by in-universe writers such as Sekiguchi? Yeah, there's a point to them all which will be made clear by the end.

Good to know. Also I did not realize that is what was going on. Edit: I looked back through the episodes and that was because for some reason I kept ignoring the "authored by" after each of his narration.

Quasar

So digging around the MAL top films list I noticed that Hotarubi no Mori e came in at 10. A lovely film, but it got me wondering whether it every got released in the west, esp on BluRay. Would love to own it.

Taruranto

Revolutionary Girl Utena 39 END

So it all comes full circle in a beautiful way. Princes and coffins. I almost teared up. The sequence really reminded me of the last scene in Rebuild of Evangelion 2.22.

Anthy's character threw me for a goddamn loop in the last five episodes but the payoff at the end here is sooooooooo good. Fuck Akio.

There are still a lot of things I don't get but I assume it's supposed to be that way. No real answers for why Miki clicks on his stopwatch for example, or how Akio and Anthy ended up down the path to begin with or...what the hell all the Nanami episodes were but I don't really need explanations for a lot of that. One thing I did miss was something to do with the Black Rose arc. What was the point of that, and who was that androgynous dark skinned guy that Mikage was talking to with the Black Rose? Was that Dios? I totally missed out on something there in a way that isn't just I'm confused, but I actually completely missed it somehow. Other then that...at the end of one episode (34?) Anthy said to Utena "Who are you?" and I don't think that was ever expanded on, and in the preview for 37 or 38 Anthy said she despised Utena but it didn't really feel like that. Only other thing I feel like I missed.

I got no clue what the movie is about but I've heard it's really out there and weird and I am in for that shit. Really, all that matters is that I finished this before Firehawk did.

A lot of people have written a lot about Utena so I won't write tl;dr wall of text about the nature of the series asap, but always keep in mind that a lot of the stuff you see is not meant to be taken literally and they may as well just be Ikuhara having fun or trolling (the infamous Miki's stopwatch)

But you should definitely check out the movie as soon as you can. If you have any question about the series after it, go for it.

Just T

Concrete Revolutio 13

Pretty good.
It was nice seeing them come together to calm Jiro down. Also was a bit surprised how Claude went out, if he’s indeed gone for good.
I’m definitely going to go through the episodes again before the second season starts to make sure I have a good understanding of everything presented so far.

But I did really enjoy watching this, started to get worried about the flash forwards around the halfway mark but things are starting to slowly come together. And with another season hopefully everything finishes coming together and ends nicely.

DiGiKerot

So digging around the MAL top films list I noticed that Hotarubi no Mori e came in at 10. A lovely film, but it got me wondering whether it every got released in the west, esp on BluRay. Would love to own it.

Nope - it played at a number of international film festivals and anime events, but no-one in the English world picked it up for home release, and the festival subtitles didn't make their way to the Japanese release..

Quasar

Nope - it played at a number of international film festivals and anime events, but no-one in the English world picked it up for home release, and the festival subtitles didn't make their way to the Japanese release..

Bummer. So I'm left importing an expensive Japanese version and appending fansubs to it. 6000+ yen for it plus postage is a bit pricey.

ibyea

Banned
Box of Spirits - 5
This episode was all sorts of disjointed. I don't know how any of it fits with the show and how any of the three scenes in the episode fit with each other, except loosely connected by the concept of clairvoyance. At least this show knows how to keep my interests going. It's like a much better version of The Perfect Insider.

I thought I was prepared.

I thought I could handle whatever was going to be thrown at me.

I was wrong.

The Adolescence of Utena

What a weird, weird movie. The TV series was always surreal, but not to this degree. Even End of Evangelion is more straightforward and less symbolic then this. Adolescence might be on the level of movies like Eraserhead and Holy Mountain in making you wonder what the hell is even going on. There is little connecting scene by scene and they sometimes don't even segue. I honestly don't really know what to make of it. The only thing that is blatant is the sexuality - no beating around the bush this time, Anthy and Utena are naked and kiss each other.

First off, I'm fairly certain this was a retelling in some alt universe where somehow the only two people who know it are Anthy and Touga. Anthy because at the end of the TV series she removed her glasses and went off to be her own person and Touga because...I don't know about Touga. He didn't even exist, but Utena knew him. I want to say Touga took the spot of Akio, but again, I am not sure.

I think my main reaction to this movie is "What?" Or maybe it's "Why?" Or maybe it's both. It was around the time Utena turned into a car that I gave up trying to understand what the hell was going on. Before I started Utena I said that Utena turning into a car was one of the only things I knew about the series but I actually didn't expect for it to be LITERAL. I thought it was a metaphor but it's not SHE ACTUALLY TURNS INTO A CAR. The entire final scene revolves around this. Anthy drives her. The movie is so abstract that I feel like you could probably say anything about any scene and it would work.

There's other stuff. Nanami, despite having a lot of screentime and episodes in the TV series, only shows up once here...and she's a cow again. And Chu-Chu pisses on her. Wow, someone must not like Nanami.

All in all, uh... Adolescence of Utena was a thing that I watched.

Mature

So with discussion about AOTY lists happening now, I'm curious: What's one show from 2015 you thought was overlooked and should be considered in one's AOTY listing? I get the feeling there were a handful of small clique's around shows that sprung up this year that didn't get a whole lot of conversation in here.

As for mine, I think due to it's irregular release schedule, and without a convenient way to watch it, that Lupin the Third Part IV might have fallen off a lot of people's radars. I've been watching it inconsistently, but enjoying it quite a bit. It's not a perfect show, but the slick design and the pulpy writing make it a really fun watch at the very least.

So with discussion about AOTY lists happening now, I'm curious: What's one show from 2015 you thought was overlooked and should be considered in one's AOTY listing? I get the feeling there were a handful of small clique's around shows that sprung up this year that didn't get a whole lot of conversation in here.

As for mine, I think due to it's irregular release schedule, and without a convenient way to watch it, that Lupin the Third Part IV might have fallen off a lot of people's radars. I've been watching it inconsistently, but enjoying it quite a bit. It's not a perfect show, but the slick design and the pulpy writing make it a really fun watch at the very least.

There are two obvious ones for me, but I'm not sure if either will make my list, Maria the Virgin Witch and Yuri Kuma Arashi.

Yatterman Night will probably be overlooked too but I don't feel so bad about that one.

Just T

There are two obvious ones for me, but I'm not sure if either will make my list, Maria the Virgin Witch and Yuri Kuma Arashi.

Yatterman Night will probably be overlooked too but I don't feel so bad about that one.
Enjoyed Maria the Virgin Witch and Yuri Kuma Arashi a lot. Still listen to the Yuri Kuma soundtrack from time to time too.

I watched Yatterman Night also, I felt it had some good points but just didn't come together for me in the end.

Moaradin

Yatterman was pretty decent. I'd call it a good show even if the last episode wasn't a mess. That was supposed to get fixed up with the Blu Ray version but I have yet to see any results from that.

ibyea

Banned
Box of Spirits - 6
That was a whole lot of exposition.

Oh and I would like to mention, I love that piano piece the show keeps playing.

So with discussion about AOTY lists happening now, I'm curious: What's one show from 2015 you thought was overlooked and should be considered in one's AOTY listing? I get the feeling there were a handful of small clique's around shows that sprung up this year that didn't get a whole lot of conversation in here. .

Shounen Hollywood: Holly Stage for 50

&

Tantei Team KZ: Jiken Note

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Secret Anime for Dan Deacon's "When I was Done Dying". Specifically, Masanobu Hiraoka's contribution that starts around here.
I don't think this is actually eligible.

If you asked me a couple weeks ago if Concrete Revolutio was overlooked, I would have said yes. But it's found its audience.

(Though I don't know if people dropping it at episode one counts as overlooking it though...)

While I'm conflicted as to whether or not it's a top ten show, I feel like Yona of the Dawn deserves an honorary mention.

Moaradin

Death Parade will definitely go overlooked. It aired early in the year and I can see a lot of people forgetting about it. Wasn't even very popular to begin with.

Arslan is another one.

Oh. Fafner Exodus is definitely going to be overlooked.

Because Fafner is overlooked period.

Also I just remember Concrete Revolutio is a 2015 winter show, so it can't even go on the voting list.

Doh.

Death Parade will definitely go overlooked. It aired early in the year and I can see a lot of people forgetting about it. Wasn't even very popular to begin with.

Arslan is another one.

Really? I expect Death Parade to do pretty good, on other sites AOTY lists its been placing pretty commonly.

Good to know. Also I did not realize that is what was going on. Edit: I looked back through the episodes and that was because for some reason I kept ignoring the "authored by" after each of his narration.

Mouryou no Hako is something that demands close attention, because it doesn't constantly spell everything out for the audience and has a lot of faith that you'll be invested enough to work towards putting the pieces together. The last two episodes do a good job of tying everything together though, even the things that at first seem random or unrelated.

Everyone who has paid attention to my posts knows my answer to that.

Just T

Did a lot of people here watch Castle Town Dandelion? I thought it was really good for the most part but the places I was looking at during it's airing didn't pay much attention to it.

Oh. Fafner Exodus is definitely going to be overlooked.

Because Fafner is overlooked period.

Also I just remember Concrete Revolutio is a 2015 winter show, so it can't even go on the voting list.

Doh.

Huh? Concrete Revolutio is definitely eligible.

Did a lot of people here watch Castle Town Dandelion? I thought it was really good for the most part but the places I was looking at during it's airing didn't pay much attention to it.

Nope, pretty much no one watched it.

Oh I thought for the show to be eligible it had to be between the Winter 2014 season and the Fall 2015 season.

My bad. Time to reorganize my list.

Mailbox

Yeah, we are just ending fall 2015 now :p

Pretty sure that winter has to be winter 2016 now since nothing is really starting to air in 2015 now.

Busaiku

Arslan is another one.
Death Parade is like in the top lists in other sites and it has the best OP.

I watched it and mostly enjoyed it. No one else seems to have except DTL.

Moaradin

I just barely hear people talking about those shows anymore. Guess we'll see if Death Parade can crack the top 10 on this forum :p

Don't think Arslan will though.

Narag

I watched it and mostly enjoyed it. No one else seems to have except DTL.

Sabre was pretty fond of it too. We'll never see him again now that he's escaped Ohio though.

I just barely hear people talking about those shows anymore. Guess we'll see if Death Parade can crack the top 10 on this forum :p

Don't think Arslan will though.

Early vote with a strong pitch can help a show's cause out as people might check it out.

Mailbox

What? Arslan and Death Parade were of average popularity. What sites do you venture where people have forgot both?

NeoGAF.

We all know or remember it airing, but its hard to imagine that it aired this year, and with how early they aired, its easy to not be as smitten with them as later entries.

Its easy to overlook early year entries.
Hell, all throughout the year people kept saying how much this year sucked even though we had good anime airing. People just can't retain when something airs too well, i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom