• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

Gundam IBO - 13

Each episode becomes more hilarious to watch than the last. Couple that with the increase of the by-the-books suffering quotient, and it just gets more and more funny to watch.

Cornbread78

Still catching up, one episode at a time:

Euphonium ep. 11
So she won the solo, but got it taken away because of whiny chicks. Wins it again at the performance in front of everyone, but nobody clapped her her her, so she loses to terrible senpai, but senpai gives it to her anyway and it's her friend that balls her eyes out, wtf.

Oh, another love confession and almost a kiss, but no, not really.

Can someone remind me why Concrete Revolutio gets hate? I honestly thought it would be mediocre by seeing the comments over it but I was pleasantly surprised by it. In fact I think it's a pretty solid show and it has that comic book style to it. So I don't understand why it gets shitted on. Is it because it's a Bones show?

I'm in minority but I feel it's better than OPM.

Narag

Can someone remind me why Concrete Revolutio gets hate? I honestly thought it would be mediocre by seeing the comments over it but I was pleasantly surprised by it. In fact I think it's a pretty solid show and it has that comic book style to it. So I don't understand why it gets shitted on. Is it because it's a Bones show?

I'm in minority but I think it's better than OPM.

Seems easy to see people being irritated by detail laden non-chronological storytelling spread out over 3 months.

People said the same thing about Kill la Kill too. The only difference this year is that I feel there really isn't a strong standout show to champion for against a popular vote so to speak. So if the popular vote wins, so be it. It's been a weak year.

I don't actually feel like it's been a weak year, but then most of the things I really like basically no one else watched and/or cared about, so maybe my taste is just the fringe of the fringe.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't actually feel like it's been a weak year, but then most of the things I really like basically no one else watched and/or cared about, so maybe my taste is just the fringe of the fringe.
Is Shounen Hollywood something I can pick up from the second season?

Narag

Pom Poko
3Xswduwl.jpg
Kt9Xai9l.jpg

4bhmITsl.jpg
YcROLIsl.png

Another Takahata film I knew little of going in aside from tanukis, their balls, and a sense the movie was a little too Japanese (which is probably right compared to the Yamadas.) I expected this straightforward mystical cartoon narrative because that's all I'd ever seen from the movie when people share anything about it. Structure was far more reminiscent of an old Disney nature documentary where narration would set the scene for a vignette that would play out. I really appreciated that approach but my favorite part of the movie wasn't the conservation message, the existential plight of the tanukis, or the encroachment of humanity, it was the beautiful nature animationl. Not to say I minded the more cartoony elements because I didn't but the juxtaposition of the tanukis at their most abstract compared to their more realistic incarnations only served to make the latter that much more impressive.

Cornbread78

I feel the same way, don't worry buddy, lol. I dropped OPM after 3 eps, but I feel as though I missed out (it just wasn't my cup of tea), and only half of Shirobako.. Oh well, everyone is playing for third this year. I'm interested in seeing 3-10 instead of 1-2.

Quasar

Let's do this, I'l start getting signatures now...

#noAOTYforOPM

or

#FUCKOPM

WHO'S WITH ME!?

Well given I dropped it after 3 episodes I can't say I disagree with the sentiment. But its not going to happen.

I imagine the ANN vote is a dry run for here. There OPM got more votes than the rest combined.

Its interesting how it connected with people who aren't me so strongly. Though the poll I'm running for another community doesn't quite reflect that (OPM is running 3rd so far), but that community is smaller and generally doesn't quite reflect the western online anime community at large. Last year for instance the top 10 was:

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
Log Horizon
Chaika - The Coffin Princess
Kill la Kill
Barakamon
The World is Still Beautiful
Mushishi
Shirobako
Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works
No Game, No Life

TUSR

Banned
Still catching up, one episode at a time:

Euphonium ep. 11
So she won the solo, but got it taken away because of whiny chicks. Wins it again at the performance in front of everyone, but nobody clapped her her her, so she loses to terrible senpai, but senpai gives it to her anyway and it's her friend that balls her eyes out, wtf.

Oh, another love confession and almost a kiss, but no, not really.
Heterophonium

Finally finished One Punch Man after prying myself away from Xenoblade Chronicles X for a while. It was good but kind of overhyped. Not really dying for a season 2.

Saitama also needs to get some recognition already.

jbug617

Banned
So with discussion about AOTY lists happening now, I'm curious: What's one show from 2015 you thought was overlooked and should be considered in one's AOTY listing? I get the feeling there were a handful of small clique's around shows that sprung up this year that didn't get a whole lot of conversation in here.

Tough to narrow it to one. My top 3 over look:
Snafu S2
Wakako-zake
Working S3

Thoraxes

Sound! Euphonium - 08

Previous Eupho Reviews:
Episode 01
Episode 02
Episode 03
Episode 04
Episode 05
Episode 06
Episode 07

cmpskzuvw.png

- Love and death truly are a huge part of music, particularly opera!

- The Agata festival sure sounds like fun though! All the inter-band relationships, crushes, interests, and then how all those spread... Too cute. Sometimes when stuff like that leaks out, it causes huge bouts of drama! However, it's pretty common to see people within same instrument families date or flirt with the possibility! I used to date lots of flute players for some reason.

- I love Kumiko's honesty and apathy though. She's just very honest about her feelings, haha.

hehexzu2j.png

- I really also liked the way the audio transitioned from outside the rehearsal room to inside the rehearsal room. Subtle but really effective way of communicating space and the presence a band has in a building.

- The flute embouchure seen in this next cut is really nice, with the right amount of roll/lip/mouth distance to be accurately portrayed. You can tell she's a highschool student because of her slightly slouching posture.

- Also the amount of detail in Taki-sensei's cut-off is pretty great too. A lot of conductors have different styles of this, and as you can see, they decided to use a hand-technique because he's not using a baton. The difference in conducting is huge with regards to technique when using a baton or just hands. Depending on Japanese schools do it, he would either stick with hand-conducting technique for the rest of the show because the students are used to it, or would switch to a baton for a competition/performance because of the showmanship. Either way, I find that the ictus is much clearer with a baton. Even his cues in the previous cut that has him at a long-distance level of detail still are spot on with the music, correlating to the long notes he wants accentuated. Really nice.

- Also, these students actually pay attention. Usually in younger groups it's much harder to get them to actually cut off when the director does, because they really get into their parts.

- And regarding Asuka's explanation; there's always one of those people in every band! In my time as an ensemble member, that person was always me! I always did my research.

- And yes, Asuka is yet correct again. Different fingerings for brass players can really help out in some sections. For that particular part, you could hear how a different fingering pattern would help a player improve the agility in a faster moving low-brass part. With the chromatic notes added to the normal descending scale pattern in that section, coupled with the syncopation, you could tell someone would have more trouble with that part than normal. Add in the increased dynamic, and that someone would probably want to breathe during that phrase depending on what part came before, yeah, an alternate fingering would help.

- Notice as Kumiko walks she's using four fingers to practice her hand motions. She does this because she has a four-valve euphonium, one with the extra key that helps play on lots of the fingering combinations that rely on fingers 1 and 3 together at the same time. Since the notes are only player with one finger opposed to two, the rest of the hand can react more agile to the rest of the section that needs to be played. And yes, lots of brass players will sometimes just practice fingerings as they walk, whether it be in the air or on their leg, arm, etc. The muscle memory is there, and the practice only helps improve accuracy. I love that they pay enough attention to the way the instruments are played that even something as simple as someone practicing alternate fingerings is not only accurate to the specific construction of the instrument, but is related to the actual dialogue suggesting alternating fingerings in the previous scene. Really cool stuff.

fingersbpuay.png

- However, she's usually shown with a compensating Euphonium, which would require the left hand to be used for the fourth valve, not the right hand. So either in a later episode they would use different euphoniums or to consolidate practice to get everything in one hand because of the off-hand casual nature of just going through the motions for muscle memory. Usually people will stick to the primary three fingers and only use the pinky if absolutely necessary, because of the weaker integrity of it compared to other fingers. Maybe an inconsistency, we'll see!

- The trombone practicing at the riverbank is funny. Cause he needs it. You can hear it. And Kumiko is right; Taki-sensei is ruthless. And then shutting Shuichi down with indifference because she's too absorbed in her musical thoughts is great.

- Literally drawing out the relationship triangle is funny. She just wants no drama, and gives no fucks. She's the best. That non-committal answer when Sapphire is talking to her shortly after is great too. She's totally absolving herself of everything.

traingagu5g.png

- And then she fucks up, haha. And in the worst way possible for her.

- But Reina agrees anyways! Kumiko really just wanted to be left alone. She should've just rejected Shuichi to appease her apathetic side.

- Daww, Goto.

- And Midori and her sister are way too similar. Cute. You go get him Hakzui!

- Poor Kumiko, having to carry that Euphonium. That shit is heavy, and climbing up the stairs only makes it worst.

- Kousaka looks pretty cute here too. Though wearing those shoes has got to be tough, especially with all the walking they're doing. At least they're switching.

- And then that exchange about the feet/shoes. Haha. The sarcasm between them is funny.

- In this next scene, i'm totally with Asuka here. Don't rely on a deity to succeed for you. Grasp your own fate with your own talent. Be good enough to earn your place. She's so cool.

yes2sue1.png

- And then a confession! Yo Hazuki! Way to go! But he still likes Kumiko. Dat heartbreak. Dat resolution of drama so fast. Dat Shuichi density. Dat tuba support. You know, that was handled swiftly, with tact, and actually in a not over-played manner. Really nicely done and not stupid like it could've been. It's funny that Hazuki can also see he likes Kumiko, even to the point where they both know Kumiko gives no fucks right now.

- And then Reina's straightforwardness in the next scene is also just great. "You know how you have a terrible personality?" So good. It's kinda nice how she just sees through Kumiko so easily. The manner which she refers to love is also pretty funny here as you can tell she appreciates her more realistic attitude than the show Kumiko puts on at times. She can even see through her about Shuichi too, though she doesn't know about how it's so one-sided, mostly from him. (get out yuri-baiters)

- It's also funny how earlier Kumiko basically says that Kousaka's love for music is almost too much. The lengths she goes are way more than anyone else.

- And about her goals, her ambitions, the way she wants to stand out... The trumpet really is the instrument to accomplish that, especially in a setting like this. That's some pretty cute friendship building though. Seeing her just straight up tell Kumiko how things are was really refreshing. No bullshit.

eupho5uy0.png

- And all those sexy fingerings. Look at that spot-on animation/sound synchronization in this duet. Holy shit. (Don't worry about transpositions here fyi, i'll keep everything concert pitch for euphonium) The euphonium is playing D (1+2), up to F (0), down to E (2), up to F# (2+3), up to B (1+2). All spot-on fingerings.

- Kousaka's notes are (i'll include transposed trumpet notes here) E up to A (both 1+2, in the same harmonic series so it's a lip leap), down to F# (2), up to G# (2+3), up to A (1+2), slur up to C# (1+2), down to A (1+2), (animation gets ahead here with the audio due to the upcoming transition), down to a G# (2+3), up to A (1+2).

- I wouldn't believe they played that song a while ago, as the registers get high for performers their age when they would've first played it. Though, they are much better now, so it makes sense we're given a better performance.

- It's a perfect backdrop for everything to unfold without dialog here. Just really subtle emotion from the music and the visuals are just carrying the whole thing. So good.

- And then when we cut back to the duet, they even go as far as to animate the fingerings even from the vantage point this cut is from. Holy shit. You can even see their breathing and eye-contact at the end that they were signaling each other for the upcoming ritardando before the cadence. It's one of those things that becomes autonomous as a musician the more you perform.

- Very beautiful last main scene.

frieds4suk9.png

Auditions. Next episode, shit is probably going to get real. There's probably going to be drama, yelling, shit-talking, fear... Just everything. This is going to be the part where the best rises to the top and the other people either accept their fates, start some shit, or rise above everything with talent. It's going to be good.

ibyea

Banned
Euphonium - 08

Previous Eupho Reviews:
Episode 01
Episode 02
Episode 03
Episode 04
Episode 05
Episode 06
Episode 07

cmpskzuvw.png

- Love and death truly are a huge part of music, particularly opera!

- The Agata festival sure sounds like fun though! All the inter-band relationships, crushes, interests, and then how all those spread... Too cute. Sometimes when stuff like that leaks out, it causes huge bouts of drama! However, it's pretty common to see people within same instrument families date or flirt with the possibility! I used to date lots of flute players for some reason.

- I love Kumiko's honesty and apathy though. She's just very honest about her feelings, haha.

hehexzu2j.png

- I really also liked the way the audio transitioned from outside the rehearsal room to inside the rehearsal room. Subtle but really effective way of communicating space and the presence a band has in a building.

- The flute embouchure seen in this next cut is really nice, with the right amount of roll/lip/mouth distance to be accurately portrayed. You can tell she's a highschool student because of her slightly slouching posture.

- Also the amount of detail in Taki-sensei's cut-off is pretty great too. A lot of conductors have different styles of this, and as you can see, they decided to use a hand-technique because he's not using a baton. The difference in conducting is huge with regards to technique when using a baton or just hands. Depending on Japanese schools do it, he would either stick with hand-conducting technique for the rest of the show because the students are used to it, or would switch to a baton for a competition/performance because of the showmanship. Either way, I find that the ictus is much clearer with a baton. Even his cues in the previous cut that has him at a long-distance level of detail still are spot on with the music, correlating to the long notes he wants accentuated. Really nice.

- Also, these students actually pay attention. Usually in younger groups it's much harder to get them to actually cut off when the director does, because they really get into their parts.

- And regarding Asuka's explanation; there's always one of those people in every band! In my time as an ensemble member, that person was always me! I always did my research.

- And yes, Asuka is yet correct again. Different fingerings for brass players can really help out in some sections. For that particular part, you could hear how a different fingering pattern would help a player improve the agility in a faster moving low-brass part. With the chromatic notes added to the normal descending scale pattern in that section, coupled with the syncopation, you could tell someone would have more trouble with that part than normal. Add in the increased dynamic, and that someone would probably want to breathe during that phrase depending on what part came before, yeah, an alternate fingering would help.

- Notice as Kumiko walks she's using four fingers to practice her hand motions. She does this because she has a four-valve euphonium, one with the extra key that helps play on lots of the fingering combinations that rely on fingers 1 and 3 together at the same time. Since the notes are only player with one finger opposed to two, the rest of the hand can react more agile to the rest of the section that needs to be played. And yes, lots of brass players will sometimes just practice fingerings as they walk, whether it be in the air or on their leg, arm, etc. The muscle memory is there, and the practice only helps improve accuracy. I love that they pay enough attention to the way the instruments are played that even something as simple as someone practicing alternate fingerings is not only accurate to the specific construction of the instrument, but is related to the actual dialogue suggesting alternating fingerings in the previous scene. Really cool stuff.

fingersbpuay.png

- However, she's usually shown with a compensating Euphonium, which would require the left hand to be used for the fourth valve, not the right hand. So either in a later episode they would use different euphoniums or to consolidate practice to get everything in one hand because of the off-hand casual nature of just going through the motions for muscle memory. Usually people will stick to the primary three fingers and only use the pinky if absolutely necessary, because of the weaker integrity of it compared to other fingers. Maybe an inconsistency, we'll see!

- The trombone practicing at the riverbank is funny. Cause he needs it. You can hear it. And Kumiko is right; Taki-sensei is ruthless. And then shutting Shuichi down with indifference because she's too absorbed in her musical thoughts is great.

- Literally drawing out the relationship triangle is funny. She just wants no drama, and gives no fucks. She's the best. That non-committal answer when Sapphire is talking to her shortly after is great too. She's totally absolving herself of everything.

traingagu5g.png

- And then she fucks up, haha. And in the worst way possible for her.

- But Reina agrees anyways! Kumiko really just wanted to be left alone. She should've just rejected Shuichi to appease her apathetic side.

- Daww, Goto.

- And Midori and her sister are way too similar. Cute. You go get him Hakzui!

- Poor Kumiko, having to carry that Euphonium. That shit is heavy, and climbing up the stairs only makes it worst.

- Kousaka looks pretty cute here too. Though wearing those shoes has got to be tough, especially with all the walking they're doing. At least they're switching.

- And then that exchange about the feet/shoes. Haha. The sarcasm between them is funny.

- In this next scene, i'm totally with Asuka here. Don't rely on a deity to succeed for you. Grasp your own fate with your own talent. Be good enough to earn your place. She's so cool.

yes2sue1.png

- And then a confession! Yo Hazuki! Way to go! But he still likes Kumiko. Dat heartbreak. Dat resolution of drama so fast. Dat Shuichi density. Dat tuba support. You know, that was handled swiftly, with tact, and actually in a not over-played manner. Really nicely done and not stupid like it could've been. It's funny that Hazuki can also see he likes Kumiko, even to the point where they both know Kumiko gives no fucks right now.

- And then Reina's straightforwardness in the next scene is also just great. "You know how you have a terrible personality?" So good. It's kinda nice how she just sees through Kumiko so easily. The manner which she refers to love is also pretty funny here as you can tell she appreciates her more realistic attitude than the show Kumiko puts on at times. She can even see through her about Shuichi too, though she doesn't know about how it's so one-sided, mostly from him. (get out yuri-baiters)

- It's also funny how earlier Kumiko basically says that Kousaka's love for music is almost too much. The lengths she goes are way more than anyone else.

- And about her goals, her ambitions, the way she wants to stand out... The trumpet really is the instrument to accomplish that, especially in a setting like this. That's some pretty cute friendship building though. Seeing her just straight up tell Kumiko how things are was really refreshing. No bullshit.

eupho5uy0.png

- And all those sexy fingerings. Look at that spot-on animation/sound synchronization in this duet. Holy shit. (Don't worry about transpositions here fyi, i'll keep everything concert pitch for euphonium) The euphonium is playing D (1+2), up to F (0), down to E (2), up to F# (2+3), up to B (1+2). All spot-on fingerings.

- Kousaka's notes are (i'll include transposed trumpet notes here) E up to A (both 1+2, in the same harmonic series so it's a lip leap), down to F# (2), up to G# (2+3), up to A (1+2), slur up to C# (1+2), down to A (1+2), (animation gets ahead here with the audio due to the upcoming transition), down to a G# (2+3), up to A (1+2).

- I wouldn't believe they played that song a while ago, as the registers get high for performers their age when they would've first played it. Though, they are much better now, so it makes sense we're given a better performance.

- It's a perfect backdrop for everything to unfold without dialog here. Just really subtle emotion from the music and the visuals are just carrying the whole thing. So good.

- And then when we cut back to the duet, they even go as far as to animate the fingerings even from the vantage point this cut is from. Holy shit. You can even see their breathing and eye-contact at the end that they were signaling each other for the upcoming ritardando before the cadence. It's one of those things that becomes autonomous as a musician the more you perform.

- Very beautiful last main scene.

frieds4suk9.png

Auditions. Next episode, shit is probably going to get real. There's probably going to be drama, yelling, shit-talking, fear... Just everything. This is going to be the part where the best rises to the top and the other people either accept their fates, start some shit, or rise above everything with talent. It's going to be good.

Yay more Thoraxes's Euphonium reviews.

wonzo

Banned
Finally finished One Punch Man after prying myself away from Xenoblade Chronicles X for a while. It was good but kind of overhyped. Not really dying for a season 2.

Saitama also needs to get some recognition already.

watch ninja slayer ep26 asap

Squishy3

I introduced someone new to Symphogear and told him the other seasons get better in production value but still don't have particularly outstanding animation then I went and looked at Symphogear G stuff on Sakugabooru and forgot how good some of the cuts are. Although it also benefits immensely from the character designs being significantly improved compared to the first season.

ibyea

Banned
Gundam IBO - 13

Each episode becomes more hilarious to watch than the last. Couple that with the increase of the by-the-books suffering quotient, and it just gets more and more funny to watch.

Uh oh, is the Okada excess starting to activate?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Any discussion on AOTY rules this year? I feel like we should have a minimum number per list. Otherwise, we're gonna get a lot of "I don't like anime, but One Punch Man is great!" posts.
That'd be fine if I'm allowed to voet for Hyoukamonogatari.

My Neighbor The Yamadas
So my preconception of this movie was colored by how people talked about it and Takahata back in the day. Once up on a time, Ghibli was just Miyazaki what with how it was portrayed in the west (at least In my experience) and Takahata was just this other guy that sometimes made a movie for them. The reason Miyazaki's always came over but Takahata's didn't was they were "too japanese" including this one. I didn't know what to expect going in as a consequence but a series of familial vignettes was definitely not something I had considered. All the little tales about the Yamada family are simple and beautiful making for what feels like the most universal Ghibli film as opposed to something not given deserved attention for being something non-traditional.

This is basically why no one talks about Takahata in the context of Ghibli. I guess even this most fantastical work is that it's also too Japanese. lol

Sterok

Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans 13

Macky seems to be uninterested in women and would prefer to focus on getting rid of the corruption in Gjallarhorn. He does seem to like Almiria, though not in that way at all. Hopefully. Yeesh, there goes more kids. Necessary, but harsh. At least I was right about Tekkadan getting more recruits. Interesting that Orga didn't want to hold the funeral. To me it felt like he wanted to constantly be moving forward and not be constrained by the past, though I don't know if that was the intention. I'm not sure Mikazuki enjoys killing so much as that fighting is really the only thing he can really get into. A sort of emotional release maybe? Woah, Mikazuki. I saw that coming as much as Kudelia did. The romance is going to be a lot more interesting than I thought it would be. That might've been another emotional release for him.

Thoraxes

Jex

AOTY, huh. It's that time already?

This has been a really bad year in general. I don't think I could list ten shows that I've seen which I could wholeheartedly recommend others watch. I might struggle with five.

Which isn't to say that there hasn't been stand-out movies or short pieces (Animator Expo has obviously been fantastic) but actual television has been extremely disappointing.

Mature

AOTY, huh. It's that time already?

This has been a really bad year in general. I don't think I could list ten shows that I've seen which I could wholeheartedly recommend others watch. I might struggle with five.

Which isn't to say that there hasn't been stand-out movies or short pieces (Animator Expo has obviously been fantastic) but actual television has been extremely disappointing.
Especially in light of the last couple of years having some pretty obvious stand out series.

It's 2015's fault for being a weak year, not OPM's fault for having universal appeal.

Yeah, that's right.

What's wrong with that?

I suppose I will vote OPM as Aoty, but it can be argued you can't really vote for x for being best of the year in its medium if you only read/listened/watched x in all year. How would you know it was the best in the year? You need at least a few more to start doing the comparison!

ibyea

Banned
This year's content does seem meager in comparison in terms of television even if there is some good stuff that came out.

duckroll

I suppose I will vote OPM as Aoty, but it can be argued you can't really vote for x for being best of the year in its medium if you only read/listened/watched x in all year. How would you know it was the best in the year? You need at least a few more to start doing the comparison!

If only one thing caught your attention for whatever reason, that for your that would be the best. Objectivity doesn't really matter that much in group votes because there's really no way (or point) or police that. It just ties stuff down with pointless rules and invites arguments about technicalities and whatever.

Most of the voters for best animation film in the academy awards don't even watch any of them before voting, so we don't need to have standards here either! :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If only one thing caught your attention for whatever reason, that for your that would be the best. Objectivity doesn't really matter that much in group votes because there's really no way (or point) or police that. It just ties stuff down with pointless rules and invites arguments about technicalities and whatever.

Most of the voters for best animation film in the academy awards don't even watch any of them before voting, so we don't need to have standards here either! :)
So we can pick the Japanese dub of Inside Out as best anime movie of the year??

Rotnems

Neo Member
I introduced someone new to Symphogear and told him the other seasons get better in production value but still don't have particularly outstanding animation then I went and looked at Symphogear G stuff on Sakugabooru and forgot how good some of the cuts are. Although it also benefits immensely from the character designs being significantly improved compared to the first season.

Yeah the improved character designs are such a big upgrade. Altough some of the animation in GX is QUALITY levels of bad.

Exalted

I think i watched maybe 10% max of all the anime series this year, and not a single anime movie, and will just wote on what i have watched , as my personal AOTY that i enjoyed most.

Thoraxes

I'm just going to vote for stuff I liked.
Don't really feel the need to be all overly critical or anything to try and get as close as possible to an objective top 10.

Moaradin

Noragami END

A lot better than I expected it to be. That last scene lol. Hopefully that means they're planning to do more of this. They could have just left that out and kept it open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom