• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exalted

Since i could barely remember what i watched this year, i checked all the previous seasons , to get a rough idea, and i noticed that the WINTER season was the worst , and spring the best for me this year. I watched more series, but the following are the ones i genuily enjoyed most looking back.

Winter :
Tokyo Ghoul √A

Spring :
Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku
Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru no Darou ka
Shokugeki no Souma
Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo
Sidonia no Kishi: Daikyuu Wakusei Seneki

Summer :
Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri
Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai
Rokka no Yuusha
Overlord

Fall :
Noragami Aragoto
Kidou Senshi Gundam: Tekketsu no Orphans
One Punch Man

Hopefully the next winter season will be bether.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You may vote in AotY if
  • Your username is BGBW
  • You watched WUG Zoo
  • You posted one of this year's seasonal OTs.

I already forgot what I watched this season. Besides one punch man. I'll buy everything for it. More Anime need to have metal OPs. And no that show with the witches with crab core doesn't count. Fuck that show.

Was that even this year? Jesus. Hopefully someone makes a huge list of stand out shows that aired this year. If not all I'll have is one punch man and lovely muco

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Stars: Episode 170:

Right, even in an arc devoid of the usual trappings this series has an episode count to fill and in the process cool down the sense of urgency and pacing it was building. Anyway, we get what I suppose could be said as the usual cycle of resolve and determination in the face of adversity this series is known for which thankfully only lasts about 5 minutes before the troops are all ready to assail the evil lair. Unfortunately the guardians all get separated and we play another climax game, having them trapped in an alternate space fighting some kind appellation. The twist here is we get some unorthodox pairings as the bulk of the episode focuses on Uranus and Mercury being forced to team up and you can really see the change in attitude and also to prove how wild a tangent this arc really is we get a lot of flashbacks to Ami's heretofore unmentioned time as an elementary school Basketball offensive coordinator and how it relates to her battle tactics and fighting style. Yes, that was a sentence that I just typed up now.

wonzo

Banned
CXS0cIwUwAAZ1Ns.jpg:orig

duckroll

Noragami Aragoto - Episode 12-13 (End)

Finally finished this up. Definitely not a big fan of this entire Ebisu arc. It did get more interesting along the way, and I like how it didn't quite end in a gung-ho shounen friendship-conquers-all way. But I feel there's just too much down time overall. Separating Yato from Yukine and Hiyori isn't enjoyable, and we didn't really get much out of it. I don't care for his relationship with Nora at all, and his friendship with Ebisu developed a little too quickly. On the up side, the final episode looked surprisingly good considering how poor the production values were for this second season. Maybe if it looked more like that throughout, I would have liked it a bit more, but the writing was a step down too, so there's no saving that. The tease at the end is pretty good though. A third season of this could be fun if the production isn't rushed. I wish the show had action like the end of the first season again... T_T

Jex

[Gatchaman Crowds Insight] - Finale

I think it's fair to say that the second season of Crowds was problematic. While I really enjoyed the season overall this is largely just due to the presence of Hajime because the actual story itself got rather muddled halfway through. This season was clearly about the danger of groupthink and the importance of thinking for yourself - but this theme was executed in some bizarre ways. The entire first-half of the series which dealt with VAPE almost seems entirely superfluous by the time you reach the finale - it felt like a thorough re-write could have tightened this up considerably.

Still, despite its glaring flaws this is probably still by favourite superhero anime of the year because unlike other work I've enjoyed, such as OPM and Concrete Revolutio it does actually have something to say beyond being entertainment. It certainly didn't always succeed but at least it tried.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Stars: Episode 171:

I suppose I can apprentice having the Outers intermingling with the Inners and having them all basically interacting as one unit and special props for finally integrating a semblance of Sailor Venus actual function on the team and Pluto calls her a leader and says she has leadership qualities. The fact of the matter is Nehelenia is quickly overstaying her welcome as there really is nothing beyond her character motivation beyond REVENGE and DARKNESS and VANITY and the restatements are getting tedious given this is the second climax we have had with this villain and I am quite ready for the fresh page now.

Qurupeke

[Gatchaman Crowds Insight] - Finale

I think it's fair to say that the second season of Crowds was problematic. While I really enjoyed the season overall this is largely just due to the presence of Hajime because the actual story itself got rather muddled halfway through. This season was clearly about the danger of groupthink and the importance of thinking for yourself - but this theme was executed in some bizarre ways. The entire first-half of the series which dealt with VAPE almost seems entirely superfluous by the time you reach the finale - it felt like a thorough re-write could have tightened this up considerably.

Still, despite its glaring flaws this is probably still by favourite superhero anime of the year because unlike other work I've enjoyed, such as OPM and Concrete Revolutio it does actually have something to say beyond being entertainment. It certainly didn't always succeed but at least it tried.

I still don't get what they tried to do with VAPE. Were they only included in order to give some plot for Rui? It could be way more interesting, as VAPE was essentially one of the consequences of S1, but in the end the whole thing was abandoned for the elections and Gel. Gel's plot was arguably better and the central focus, but still they could include VAPE in a more meaningful way. The whole thing about CROWDS just became background stuff.

I really hope this will get a S3, there's still stuff to explore. For better or worse, S2 focused so much on Gelsandra and Tsubasa, so it didn't feature anyone other than Hajime-ssu a lot. Even Sugane got so little screentime and did nothing other than built a harem. Too bad that this sold really bad. :'(

Lovely Muco 1-2

The visual style is extremely simplistic, but it's stylized just enough that the low budget CG doesn't stand out too poorly (except for the jerky camera pans - is it really that hard to make the camera pan smoothly?). The main attraction here is the central figure of Muco, who really does live up to her title. I have not had a dog myself, but the way Muco is written - excitable, distractible, curious, consistently misinterpreting the human world around her - feels true to life in what a youthful dog would think, instead of imposing human patterns of thought on her as many animal-focused series do. It helps that Muco is adorably voiced by Hitomi Yoshida, who gives her the perfect characterization in the same way Satomi Koorogi did for Chi in Chi's Sweet Home.

It may be of interest to some people here to know that this series is being directed by Romanov Higa, the CG director who attracted some notice for Urda and Catblue Dynamite.

I have gone over a week without watching anime due to vacation and I'm actually sick for the first real time in over a year.

Clearly this means I must watch anime to survive. I will fix this but catching up on coffee and tea rabbit girls, government super heroes and toy robots fighting in space.

"This video contains content from PONYCANYON. It is not available in your country." Thanks for region locking your promotional trailers, idiot companies.

Anyway, while I'd feel more optimistic about this project, whatever it is, if Mizushima was using his frequent collaborator Michiko Yokote, I'm not going to rule it out just because of Okada's involvement. Diomedea is not a great studio, but Mizushima managed to make Girls und Panzer at nobody studio Actas, so I'm not too concerned about that either.

Jarmel

Banned
Yea Pony Canyon has become real fucking annoying about that. I'm gonna have to install an IP blocker now when I browse Youtube.

Cornbread78

Is there anything wrong with the original Rozen Maiden? I think we'll just start there for the next let's watch, then do 2013, since they are opposite answer series yes vs. no.

Is there anything wrong with the original Rozen Maiden? I think we'll just start there for the next let's watch, then do 2013, since they are opposite answer series yes vs. no.

I'm sure you've watched worse stuff, but there's a big gap in quality between the Matsuo Rozen Maiden series at Nomad and the Hatakeyama Rozen Maiden series at DEEN.

Clov

I think that VAPE was meant to tie into the series' points about atmosphere, with Rizumu trying to change the public opinion to go against Crowds. It could have been tyed in better; maybe if Rizumu remained a more active threat throughout the middle of the series it would have worked more.

Despite a few issues, I really enjoyed Insight. While the execution of its message was flawed, I think the message itself was clearly conveyed. Though I'll admit I'm biased; I love the cast of Crowds so much. A very lovable group of characters!

Has it really sold poorly in Japan though? That's too bad if so; I want to get more merch, and if the BDs aren't doing great then I might not get much more. On the other hand, if it's not a huge hit, then maybe the cost to licence the season 1 director's cut of episode 12 will be cheap enough for even Sentai to get. That really would be nice.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Working!!! end
It end. Its finally end!
Well, glad it end well. The anime adapt the whole manga, and end in satisfying manner. All conflict resolved, couples were made. Yup, that's all i ever ask. Satou x Yachiyo and Takanashi x Inami happening. So yeah, happy end.

I think that VAPE was meant to tie into the series' points about atmosphere, with Rizumu trying to change the public opinion to go against Crowds. It could have been tyed in better; maybe if Rizumu remained a more active threat throughout the middle of the series it would have worked more.

Despite a few issues, I really enjoyed Insight. While the execution of its message was flawed, I think the message itself was clearly conveyed. Though I'll admit I'm biased; I love the cast of Crowds so much. A very lovable group of characters!

Has it really sold poorly in Japan though? That's too bad if so; I want to get more merch, and if the BDs aren't doing great then I might not get much more. On the other hand, if it's not a huge hit, then maybe the cost to licence the season 1 director's cut of episode 12 will be cheap enough for even Sentai to get. That really would be nice.

Yes, the first Gatchaman Crowds sold 7301 + 3615 (reissue) = 10916, whereas Insight sold 1191. Funnily enough, the broadcast of Insight caused a spike in sales of the first Gatchaman Crowds instead of any real interest in sales of Insight.

Production qualiry, or story/entertainment quality?

Yes.

Anime of the Year thoughts?

Well, Shirobako and Yuri Kuma Arashi are the easy top two for me, and Euphonium was also excellent. It's definitely a weaker year after that, however.

Of course Mizushima is working with Okada. Of goddamn course. This industry...

*sigh*
Well, maybe he'll manage to get something decent out of Okada like Ando did.

Clov

Yes, the first Gatchaman Crowds sold 7301 + 3615 (reissue) = 10916, whereas Insight sold 1191. Funnily enough, the broadcast of Insight caused a spike in sales of the first Gatchaman Crowds instead of any real interest in sales of Insight.

Ah, that's too bad. Weird that it made season one jump while selling so poorly itself. Maybe it'll end up being a bit of a slow burn, or maybe a BD-box release will perform better. I'll just have to hope that the merch does well enough to have some more figures and whatnot released.

It's interesting, it seems like unlike many other mediums, we've seen a lot of sequels flop.

The standard in anime sales is that sequels have diminishing returns - witness the gradually declining sales of the Monogatari franchise, for example. There are exceptions though. The Symphogear franchise is a big one - it went from selling 5043 for the first season, to 8701 for G, to 16,605 for GX.

Another interesting case is the Fafner franchise. Despite coming over a decade later, Fafner Exodus has sold roughly on par with the first season (8124 for Exodus vs. 8005 for the original).

Of course Mizushima is working with Okada. Of goddamn course. This industry...

Actas almost getting closed(there was interview via Actas boss)->Find Mizushima to make GuP.
PA Works did Glasslip which is worst show ever in recent years->Find Mizushima to make Shirobako.

While Kantai Collection sold pretty good, all other shows of Diomedea in 2015 are crap(actually Kancolle is crap by Japan's reviewing too), only Cute High Earth Defense Club Love! is doing okay, of course they're going to find Mizushima to save them.

Actas almost getting closed(there was interview via Actas boss)->Find Mizushima to make GuP.
PA Works did Glasslip which is worst show ever in recent years->Find Mizushima to make Shirobako.

While Kantai Collection sold pretty good, all other shows of Diomedea in 2015 are crap(actually Kancolle is crap by Japan's reviewing too), only Cute High Earth Defense Club Love! is doing okay, of course they're going to find Mizushima to save them.

Anime usually has a long pre-production time; I don't believe Shirobako was made in response to poor reception of Glasslip. (Not to mention Tsutomu Mizushima previously worked with P.A. Works on Another.)

Jarmel

Banned

I don't care about Diomedea. For high level directors, studios are rarely the problem. It's the writing that fucks most of them up.

That said, this looks to be Another/Blood-C tier so Okada might not matter so much.

Ascheroth

D.Gray-man - 08

Nice little breather with all that dark stuff of the last episodes. The science divsion of the Black Order is hilarious, especially Komui.
Building a huge ass robot with parts of your personality is not a good idea if the first thing it does is drinking coffee and getting short-circuited lol.
Also very nice seeing Allen properly welcomed. It was apparent he felt quite out of place there. And
the Noah family
make an appearance, yay.

Goddamn I needed some sleep so bad. Time to catch up on dem animes.

Haikyuu!! S2 13

Yes that was such a good match. That last point was so clutch. Every one in the team is now a threat, unlike the team that they faced that only had one player to rely on. The guy had no skill, his height only took their side so far.

Gundam IBO 13

Mahiro's farewell was so heartbreaking. But holy crap at the amount of blood in this episode. Also I'm not sure if we are slowly seeing Mika slip into the dark side. I wouldn't say that he is enjoying killing people, but he certainly doesn't seem to be bothered by it. Guess it's a good thing that he has good people to keep in check. I can only wonder how it would be if he was on the other side of the fight. I was happy to see them taking in the human debris kids in, they didn't know better, they were basically slaves. Now they can finally put that title behind them, and integrate themselves in a better environment with the Tekkadan kids. The funeral at the end was so good too, with the kids trying to hold in their tears. I think this is my favourite episode of the show so far. So many stellar moments. That last scene though? Mikazuki is fucking savage. Heck yeah ahaha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom