• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Only Yesterday

Y'know that scene in Rataouille where Anton Ego is taken back to his childhood upon tasting that meal? Kinda felt like that watching this since used to watch normal movies I didn't quite get when I was a child and felt as if they were a little beyond me. I'll really need to watch this again next year because it felt like it was too good for me. I can see why some argue that this is Ghibli's best.

Narag

I swear if I have to tell Narag to cross out Turn A off my name on the list again I'm going to introduce that cat to a dog kennel.

Anyhow, thought it might be fun to toy with the idea of New Year’s resolution nonsense (past the universal one we all share of watching less anime) and having folk picking some backlog stuff to finally get to this year rather than putting off for one reason or another. More than likely it’s something popular that might engender some discussion rather than people talking past one another and, frankly, deadline pressure doesn’t hurt. I wouldn’t get too involved though given how life can throw one a curveball nor would I expect everyone to post about every episode watched but hey, there’s still good stuff for most of us to watch yet.

To get us started, I took an informal poll of some people to help serve as an example. Something, say, like one long series, a couple short series, a handful of movies, or some sort of combination would be ideal. It’s not meant to be a burden but rather that extra push to chisel away at the lingering part of the ol’ backlog.

Deputy Dangle
  • Hyouka
  • Wolf's Rain
darkside31337
  • Hunter x Hunter (2011)
dresden
  • Armored Trooper VOTOMS
  • The Last Red Shoulder
  • Mellowlink
firehawk12
  • last 13 eps of Utena
gashikunFLCL
  • The rest of Urusei Yatsura
haly
  • Hidasketch
Mature
  • Hyouka
  • Wolf's Rain
  • Irresponsible Captain Tylor
  • The rest of Urusei Yatsura
madpierrot
  • Hunter x Hunter (2011)
    [*]Turn A Gundam
    [*]Digimon S1
MetroidPrimeRib
  • Gintama
Mr. Jeff
  • Gundam Build Fighters
Narag
  • Rest of the Ghibli films not seen yet
  • ZZ Gundam
  • Last half of Hyouka
  • Mazinger Z
  • Space Adventure Cobra TV
SliceSabre
  • Gundam 00
  • Turn A Gundam
sonicmj1
  • Armored Trooper VOTOMS
  • the rest of Mushishi
survivor
  • Kare Kano
  • Kimi no Todoke
ZachDeKoromaru
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Sailor Moon S

Anyhow, I’ll leave this open until the end of the month and finalize it then if there’s enough interest. We can all have a good laugh at MPR when everyone but him has finished at the end of the year.

There you go. Not up for ZZ tonight as I feel bad which sucks since I had 7 eps to go but Kaguya is priority. Guess I'll call this finished for the year.

Same, finish the rest of Gundam. For me, that's going to be SEED, SEED Destiny, 00, AGE, and whatever movies. Maybe G-Savior if I'm bored.

I'd suggest just watching SEED and forget the bolded even exist. Saves you time to watch other, better mecha shows.

My Anime new years resolution is too get back into the groove of things so to speak. Really didn't watch as much anime as I had hoped this year.

Anyhow, I’ll leave this open until the end of the month and finalize it then if there’s enough interest. We can all have a good laugh at MPR when everyone but him has finished at the end of the year.
clGiCIy.jpg

Anyone have any anime related new years resolutions?

This year ill try to finally watch all the gundams(even the bad ones). And fuck it maybe Monogatari but that's a big maybe.

Finish buying Bleach on DVD
Get current on Naruto Shippuden DVD
Rewatch Naruto (9th time?)
Rewatch Naruto Shippuden from start to current
Buy Hamatoa and re Hamatora
Buy Nagiasu
Buy Glasslip
Finish Natsumes Book of Friends
Rewatch Angel Beats
Rewatch Gundam Wing
Rewatch Gundam Seed
Rewatch Gundam Age
Rewatch Katekyo Hitman Reborn
Rewatch M3
Watch ~monogatari series from start to whenever
Finish YGO s1
Finish YGO gx
Finish YGO 5ds
Watch YGO Zexal
Rewatch Cardfight!! Vanguard
Rewatch Hero Bank
Watch Hikaru no Go

All of mine

I'd suggest just watching SEED and forget the bolded even exist. Saves you time to watch other, better mecha shows.

My Anime new years resolution is too get back into the groove of things so to speak. Really didn't watch as much anime as I had hoped this year.

Why wouldnt one watch SEED Destiny. You do know it has Shinn who is vital for developing the story with Athrun.

Yah, will post later then let people add until Feb again.

Sweet. I'll make my list later on in January.

Why wouldnt one watch SEED Destiny. You do know it has Shinn who is vital for developing the story with Athrun.

I also know that it's a trainwreck of a series that derails the character development and motivations of many SEED characters (including Athrun mind you), botches the characterization and development of its new characters, has some hilariously bad writing that at times is on par with fanfiction and just in general shits on everything that made SEED good.

Just about the only thing about SEED Destiny that one shouldn't miss out on is the music which is still top tier. (Awful fourth opening aside).

There you go. Not up for ZZ tonight as I feel bad which sucks since I had 7 eps to go but Kaguya is priority. Guess I'll call this finished for the year.

Good kitty.

I already Aikatsu! is on next year's list, I've been watching the series on and off for the past...5 months.

jgminto

Not sure what I'd pick for a New Year anime, need to get back to Cobra but that shouldn't be too difficult. Maybe I'll watch some classic Gundam or LoGH.

Oh shit I just found out Asian Kung-Fu Generation are doing the Opening for the Erased anime this coming winter season.

Yes I love them, that's definitely another good reason to watch the anime.

jbug617

Banned
Anyone have any anime related new years resolutions?

This year ill try to finally watch all the gundams(even the bad ones). And fuck it maybe Monogatari but that's a big maybe.

will watch a Gundam series
will watch Utena when it comes out on bluray

I'm already in the middle of Patlabor TV, so I think for next year I'll do:

• Hidamari Sketch
  • Aikatsu!
  • Gundam Build Fighters or Turn A
And I'll think something else later. :p

Phatmac

Wishing everybody happy new year before I get shitfaced. Next year looks great for anime so I'll be happy to watch along with you guys!

>>Implying SEED is even in the same league as 00.

Mandelbo

Shomin Sample

Kind of a bleh, by-the-numbers harem show. Hakua is an awful character who's just there to be fanservice, but aside from that, the show had some good moments along with some odd ones - why was the Gets gag used so much? It's in the OP, there's a whole half episode dedicated to explaining it and it's the last word said in the show. It's way more than just a reference, so I'm guessing it was just lip service for a comedian that I gather was a one-trick pony? Did Dandy Sakano fund the show or something?

Chindogg

Shomin Sample

Kind of a bleh, by-the-numbers harem show. Hakua is an awful character who's just there to be fanservice, but aside from that, the show had some good moments along with some odd ones - why was the Gets gag used so much? It's in the OP, there's a whole half episode dedicated to explaining it and it's the last word said in the show. It's way more than just a reference, so I'm guessing it was just lip service for a comedian that I gather was a one-trick pony? Did Dandy Sakano fund the show or something?

The mangaka is a huge fan of Dandy Sakano. There's a couple of chapters dedicated to the gets joke.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I only remembered about two hours ago that I never did finish the Haruhi spinoff Yuki-chan. It was only after seeing the name on that 2ch list that I even remembered it existed.

John Blade

I guess my new year resolution will come down to this.

• Need to get drop my backlog of anime in my collection down from 147 to 110.

10 Animes I want to get done next year
  • Sakura Wars Franchise (only the North American release as they is two that didn't come here)
  • Godnannar
  • Great Teacher Onizuka
  • Ninja Scroll
  • The Garden of Words
  • Children Who Chase Lost Voices
  • Royal Space Force The Wings of Honneamine
  • Watamote
  • Clannad Franchise
  • Rahxephon Franchise

I guess that is the start and do hope I can get those done by year end or at best get around 80% of those done by then.

Sweet. I'll make my list later on in January.

I also know that it's a trainwreck of a series that derails the character development and motivations of many SEED characters (including Athrun mind you), botches the characterization and development of its new characters, has some hilariously bad writing that at times is on par with fanfiction and just in general shits on everything that made SEED good.

Just about the only thing about SEED Destiny that one shouldn't miss out on is the music which is still top tier. (Awful fourth opening aside).

Ive made it halfway through SEED Destiny and Ive yet to see any signs of a trainwreck. Unless the whole writing team were going through a going bananas phase, I can not imagine bad writing becoming a prevalent theme in the remainder of the series.

Shouta

Macross Delta Ep 1

I guess this is the preview of the show but Ep 1 is floating around now.

There's a ton of things swirling in my head about this but I guess I can sum it up as intrigued but disappointed.

I'm intrigued because the show is doing some interesting things or bringing stuff back to the core of Macross.

In particular, the integration of the singers into the field beyond the cockpits of the Valkyries they're sitting is great. They aren't just singers but defenders as well, protecting the civilians with their gear and tools. It really reminds me of Basara but in a more practical manner. I also like that the music has gone back to being something that really affects people. That's the very core of Macross as a whole, music and its relationship with people. It was sorely lacking in Frontier.

The action choreography felt like it had a lot more energy behind it than most of what I saw in Frontier. It's probably because they've learned a lot more about how they should direct the action but also probably because of the antagonists aren't giant space bugs.

On the other hand, I'm pretty disappointed in some of the general direction and the mechanical aspects. Kawamori further pushing idols was kind of expected but it really felt by the numbers. The idol stereotype/tropes and the country bumpkin with a secret that wants to be an idol too felt tired in this. It doesn't help that Freyja has some elements that remind me specifically of Ranka either. The music itself also seems to feel a lot more derivative too. Like, it sounds kinda interesting but it lacks any sort of impact. I didn't really like Frontier's music but at the very least it felt like they had something behind Ranka and Sheryl singing it. The songs they used in this episode just felt phoned in.

That leads me to the big mechanical problem I had. They really didn't use the music in a way that heightens the scenes in this. It kind of just starts being in the way after awhile in the ep, lol. There's this moment right near the end of the episode that's supposed to have this impact but totally falls flat compared to the music sequences in Frontier ep 1 and Mac 7 ep 1. If there's anything you need to get right it's that. Ooof.

I'll catch it when the show starts airing regularly but I'm not terribly optimistic.

Cornbread78

Planetes ep.1-2
images

Well, that's a great intro to the characters, their motivations and some of the world right away. That salvage sequence in episode 2 was also pretty intense and made we wonder why they would already try to
kill off a character
, but alas,
he saved himself, the satellite and maybe all the people
his buddy was flying around too! Well done and I'm looking forward to more

Planetes is a pretty solid space show.

The second half isn't quite as good as the first, but it has one episode concerning a man from a war torn country that is simply fantastic.

It's a good show with a bad ending that's feeds into awful stereotypes of gender roles.

The human element of the show kind of goes off the deep end the more the show goes on to be honest.

It's weird too, because the show has moments that really capture the human condition well I think.

Also I'll be sure to check that out hosannainexcelsis.

I only remembered about two hours ago that I never did finish the Haruhi spinoff Yuki-chan. It was only after seeing the name on that 2ch list that I even remembered it existed.

You're not alone BGBW. That will be on my list of things to finish in 2016.

huh, if SEED is that much better, I should get to it sooner rather than later.

You should Narag. Ignore the naysayers, it's a good watch.

Ive made it halfway through SEED Destiny and Ive yet to see any signs of a trainwreck. Unless the whole writing team were going through a going bananas phase, I can not imagine bad writing becoming a prevalent theme in the remainder of the series.

Somehow, I'm not surprised you've missed all the warning signs. Trust me, it will become very noticeable by the 3rd act.

The human element of the show kind of goes off the deep end the more the show goes on to be honest.

It's weird too, because the show has moments that really capture the human condition well I think.

Also I'll be sure to check that out hosannainexcelsis.

The show tries to have its cake and eat it too when it comes to its characters. It pushes them to some real dark places, but is unwilling to go through with it in the end and tries to force a "happy" ending that feels like an unearned cop out, especially when it comes to Hachimaki's character arc. And poor Tanabe,
she gets abandoned while pregnant so she can be a "safe harbor" for a man who mostly treats her like shit. But no matter, her man is achieving his dreams and she gets to be a loyal wife, so all is good!

JCG

The show tries to have its cake and eat it too when it comes to its characters. It pushes them to some real dark places, but is unwilling to go through with it in the end and tries to force a "happy" ending that feels like an unearned cop out, especially when it comes to Hachimaki's character arc. And poor Tanabe,
she gets abandoned while pregnant so she can be a "safe harbor" for a man who mostly treats her like shit. But no matter, her man is achieving his dreams and she gets to be a loyal wife, so all is good!

This is probably one of the most cynical and arguably narrow-minded ways to interpret the ending of Planetes, but it is far from the only possible conclusion.

Especially when the show does bother to spell out that Tanabe
can, and probably will, in fact have the opportunity to go back to space. Not to mention the series also has Fee as a living example of someone who has been pregnant before and still capable of continuing with a professional career. Ergo, painting the ending as somehow forcing Tanabe into permanently grounded motherhood as if that were some sort of dead-end to her individuality strikes me as unnecessarily cynical at best and quite disingenuous at worst.
I do not see that as being a horrible gender stereotype which must be cast off into the shadows. As for the question of Hachimaki's character arc, I don't get what would be gained from making him completely unredeemable (other than making the show into a pure celebration of nihilism that might please those who are allergic to happy endings and do not believe in redemption but would accomplish little else). In short, I think there is plenty of room for subjectivity regarding Hachimaki as a character and what he does or doesn't deserve after everything is said and done.

e_i

Working!!! season 3 episode 14

Well that was a bait and switch. We get a regular, but long, episode instead of a RPG fantasy episode we were promised. We got a
love confession between Mahiru and Souta.
Also, Souta's mother is really evil
She's dresses him up as girl and implies he's a pussy, not a man.
While I agree on her, I think she went too far. I'll miss you gang.

Yuru Yuri season 3 episode 12

Kyouko is really sweet at the end there.

Thinking about:

• Mononoke
  • Mononoke
  • Mononoke
Maybe one more smaller thing, but I haven't decided.

Fixed your list

Akame ga Kill 2

At least they verify that their targets are guilty before killing them. That's something at least. Otherwise this seems to be an enjoyable trashy action show. Sounds good to me.

The show is a...decent adaptation until it gets to the end where it goes straight up ORIGINAL ANIME ENDING DO NOT STEAL and it is just terrrrrrible. Akame ga Kill is a fun enough series but for some reason the anime doesn't have a lot of the...not depth, but heart of the manga. I think it's the faster pacing. You don't get to stay with the characters to really get into them. Or to have their deaths affect you.

Reknoc

Macross Delta 0.89

The Valk stuff during the end was great but I think my favourite part of this is the fact the idol group seems to be outfitted by Q-Branch: Hidden Nail Communicators, portable hang glider/shield, underskirt propulsion system. Oh also I guess their signing cures people affected by some sort of brainwashing thing, so they're just Fire Bomber with bad songs.

Quasar

Macross Delta Ep 1

I guess this is the preview of the show but Ep 1 is floating around now.

There's a ton of things swirling in my head about this but I guess I can sum it up as intrigued but disappointed.

I'm intrigued because the show is doing some interesting things or bringing stuff back to the core of Macross.

In particular, the integration of the singers into the field beyond the cockpits of the Valkyries they're sitting is great.

That actually kind of put me off. Maybe it is simply a case of being different.

And it apparently set on a planet rather than a colony ship seemed a bit weird to me.

Hattori

Banned
2016 Anime Resolutio

- Mobile Suit Gundam
- Finish Doremi
- Urusei Yatsura
- Steins;Gate
- Gunbuster
- Evangelion
- TBD*

*any recomendations

Sound Euphonium 6

Wow, the storyboard for this episode was really good. After being a bit disappointed by Kigami's storyboard for episode 5, this was a real treat, on the level of the best episodes of Hyouka. A lot of visual creativity, good pacing, nice framing, and effective storytelling. The overall theme of the episode - the joy of playing together in an ensemble, and how a part that sounds uninteresting on its own becomes enjoyable when you bring it together with others - that's a theme that resonates powerfully with my own experience and it was excellently portrayed here. Playing with more experienced musicians is one of the best things that a beginner musician such as Hazuki here can do, and I'm glad her friends realized that in the end after the ridiculous antics with Tuba-kun. Teared up a bit in the Twinkle Twinkle scene.

Speaking of which, I'm impressed with the compositions and arrangements Akito Matsuda has made here. He not only arranged Twinkle Twinkle in the version for tuba, euphonium, and contrabass played at the climax, but also composed the Crescent Moon Dance by the fictional composer Namie Horikawa which is Taki's free choice selection for the competition. (The required selection is drawn from the actual set pieces from the 2015 All Japan Band Competition, which is super cool.) The opening of Crescent Moon Dance that was played in the episode sounded really good, with effective use of the wind ensemble that would come off very well in a competition. I really hope we get to hear more of the piece later in the show, whether in rehearsal or the actual competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom