• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Being 4 episodes in Perfect Insider, this seems pretty interesting so far.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So someone finally subbed Aria Avvenire with English.
CEiGN0Fl.jpg

:(

And the prerequisite:
EXVtQpIl.jpg

Upscale problems aside, I still want to at least have an excuse to watch this again in HD. The BD set seems to have a lot of recycled features, but the OVA has cast commentary and production staff commentary at the very least.

---

qdnc37Tl.jpg

Space Honkers hype is real. The space plane fight at the end was enough to convince me that I need this in my life.

It’s that time of year again where our New Year’s resolutions come about and we decide this is the year we finally get to that hole in the backlog we keep putting off. Like last time, I’ll leave this open until Feb 1st and remind people monthly.

Put me down for Aikatsu!

Sound Euphonium 9

Yep, those are auditions. Things should heat up next episode.

I think episode 10 felt like the best directed episode to me and ended up being much more captivating than the auditions, when those should be inherently more exciting. Curious what you'll say about it.

I honestly think he's fantastic. He's a super-realistic, very dedicated band director. And that he even let them choose what they want to do, and decided to put in his all towards what they told him they want was just great. They said they wanted to go to nationals and compete, so that's how he decided to teach them. He didn't try to win their affection to get them into it. He just laid everything out, didn't bullshit them, and got straight to the point. And when you're dealing with a bunch of juveniles, i've found that it's usually the best method i've used for teaching my private students.

I would've killed to have a teacher like him when I was in high-school band. And when he says "Please don't waste my time" and walks out? You should see how some of the foreign orchestral directors i've worked with have been (especially the Germans). The teachers who are all fun and games rarely get shit done compared to the ones who are there to make and perfect music, speaking from experience.

And to your one other point; there's a pedagogical method behind giving the students the decision-making powers based on director suggestions too. One I always find is usually extremely effective in the field of music.

He can be all that and still engage dialogue more and, most importantly, tell these students e.g. what can be fun about taking part in a competition, improving at playing your instrument, being part of a band, striving to win a tournament and so on and so forth. Someone who's capable of conveying why I should be interested and give a damn is someone I'd really appreciate.

This is a highschool music club with some newer students with little and even no experience at all, not a music college. Maybe if some theoretical ideal you'd ask of all these students to give their all simply because they already decided to join this club but the reality is that there's a lot of different personalities and especially the newbies won't feel particularly engaged just because someone is 'no bullshit' when talking to them.

He can be as direct as he want and I really appreciate not telling any feel good lies. But there's still a lot to elaborate on what's actually fun and great and why these students might be interested. And not leaving these guys on their own when they are unsure doesn't hurt either.

It's great that he asks the group what they want to do but when half the people he's talking too are too unsure what to do and don't want to interfere with others because of it, then how representative is the answer he's getting really? If I just started to play an instrument and some teacher asked me if I wanted to play for fun or try to participate in a tournament I'd be a bit at a loss. When I see a few people raising there hands in favor of the competition, I, the newbie, would likely not want to go against that. Worse, if the Japanese context is taken into consideration and some of your senpai's want to take part. I'm in college and it can be embarrassing how shy people still are in regards to raising there hands in such votes.

Letting the group decide, or rather getting the answer the group actually wants, is usually not quite as simple as letting them vote on the spot. I'd still say Taki-sensei might have done the right thing ultimately, but he could've been better about it.

Qurupeke

Hibike! Euphonium 11-12

Both of those episodes were pretty interesting as they tackled two different matters that needed to be resolved. The re-auditioning for the solo part had the expected conclusion, but I'm really happy that Kaori and even that Yuko girl were fine with it. I rooted for Kaori, but the show made it clear that Kousaka was superior and I didn't want her to give up just because someone begged her to do.

What I still don't get is Asuka's behavior. She's awfully cryptic. She reminds me a lot of Taki-sensei, she doesn't even favor her friends and she's strict with her underclassmen, but she apparently does this for the better results. She's really hard to read, I wonder if there's a reason for that. Taki is a lot more easy to read and I like that despite having that strict demeanor, there are still instances that he's really softer than that, like the fact he actually gave a second chance to Kaori or that he's still helping Kumiko and Tsukamoto. I don't even think he's as strict as he wants to be in the first place.

The other episode was also interesting because this is something I hoped they'd try to do, and it seems that this will be the theme for the grand finale. I think I mentioned it before, but I like that Kumiko was introduced as experienced but still not top of the class, so it was apparent that when you had people like Asuka and Kousaka, there would be a phase that Kumiko would need to improve and question her herself. Not sure why they added the part with the blood due to overwork, it seemed really forced but in any case, Kumiko finally seems to take herself more seriously. I'm also a fan of the parallels with Tsukamoto, as I find her interactions with him even better than all those scenes with Kousaka.

pbayne

Asuka was definitely the most interesting character to me that I hope gets more of a spotlight in season 2.

Her outward nature is such a massive contradiction to what she actually is.

also: Happy 2016 everyone!

Hibike! Euphonium 11-12

Both of those episodes were pretty interesting as they tackled two different matters that needed to be resolved. The re-auditioning for the solo part had the expected conclusion, but I'm really happy that Kaori and even that Yuko girl were fine with it. I rooted for Kaori, but the show made it clear that Kousaka was superior and I didn't want her to give up just because someone begged her to do.

What I still don't get is Asuka's behavior. She's awfully cryptic. She reminds me a lot of Taki-sensei, she doesn't even favor her friends and she's strict with her underclassmen, but she apparently does this for the better results. She's really hard to read, I wonder if there's a reason for that. Taki is a lot more easy to read and I like that despite having that strict demeanor, there are still instances that he's really softer than that, like the fact he actually gave a second chance to Kaori or that he's still helping Kumiko and Tsukamoto. I don't even think he's as strict as he wants to be in the first place.

I think her current primary goals are simply improving at playing her Eupho as much as possible and winning the competition. In order to achieve those goals she's willing to put up a bit of facade to motivate the students who joined the club by being very nice, albeit a bit pushy, and helpful. When it gets closer to the event she can't be bothered to focus on any of the, to her completely unnecessary, drama accompanying the band. She doesn't really care that much how anyone personally feels, rather it's important for her that the band has the best chances.

Qurupeke

I think her current primary goals are simply improving at playing her Eupho as much as possible and winning the competition. In order to achieve those goals she's willing to put up a bit of facade to motivate the students who joined the club by being very nice, albeit a bit pushy, and helpful. When it gets closer to the event she can't be bothered to focus on any of the, to her completely unnecessary, drama accompanying the band. She doesn't really care that much how anyone personally feels, rather it's important for her that the band has the best chances.

I think her role with the new students is mostly easy to understand. I'm referring to her during the whole disagreement about the auditions. She supported Kaori, she obviously did, but she still kept her distance. In the end, she didn't congratulate her or she didn't talk to her. I'm not sure if she was 100% in agreement with Kousaka getting the solo part, she was totally neutral in the end.

During Aoi's departure, she had a similar stance too. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I don't think she simply doesn't like the drama just because she wants to see the best outcome. I think she really can't handle the situation, and that's her way of dealing with it. They haven't shown this so far, but I found pretty interesting the fact that she declined the offer of being a president, but she accepted being a vice president.

TUSR

Banned
How much Macross do I have to watch this year?

Have I made a mistake?

Did haly set me up?

Why am I still awake?

pbayne

I think her role with the new students is mostly easy to understand. I'm referring to her during the whole disagreement about the auditions. She supported Kaori, she obviously did, but she still kept her distance. In the end, she didn't congratulate her or she didn't talk to her. I'm not sure if she was 100% in agreement with Kousaka getting the solo part, she was totally neutral in the end.

During Aoi's departure, she had a similar stance too. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I don't think she simply doesn't like the drama just because she wants to see the best outcome. I think she really can't handle the situation, and that's her way of dealing with it. They haven't shown this so far, but I found pretty interesting the fact that she declined the offer of being a president, but she accepted being a vice president.

Yeah she avoids responsibility at every turn despite being super talented. Either she's incredibly self-centered or doesn't actually care about the band. Pretty much the exact opposite of Reina.

Qurupeke

Hibike! Euphonium [END]

It was too late by the time I realized that I took so many screenshots and I loved them all. ;_; I choose 12 and I'll just link them in order not to make my post huge. lol

What a beautiful ending and what a great perfomance. I loved the final play soooo much. And they brought back the ponytail and made it even better! I can't wait for S2 now. Absolutely a great and really happy show. I loved that all the drama wasn't really there to just expand the plot, but it was more like a way for everyone to improve. And damn, if they don't give us more Kumiko x Tsukamoto, I'd be sad. Those two really nailed it at the end, their relationship was the most honest. Kousaka and Kumiko, despite having great moments too, felt really forced and I didn't like how out of character Kumiko was most of the time.

Anyway, other than more Asuka and the nationals, I guess we'll get a lot more Taki too fo r S2. He was looking at a picture of his family(?) or something, so I guess he has an interesting story too. Off to the OVA.

Reknoc

Warms my heart to think that this year will have people checking out Macross 7 for the first time.

How much Macross do I have to watch this year?

Have I made a mistake?

Did haly set me up?

Why am I still awake?

It's not too bad, only 1/3 of them are really long.

It’s that time of year again where our New Year’s resolutions come about and we decide this is the year we finally get to that hole in the backlog we keep putting off. Like last time, I’ll leave this open until Feb 1st and remind people monthly.

I'm already in the middle of Patlabor TV, so I think for next year I'll do:

• Hidamari Sketch
  • Aikatsu!
  • Gundam Build Fighters or Turn A
And I'll think something else later. :p

You haven't watched NGE already ? That's ... surprising.

Caught two random episodes on Adult Swim back in the day (the one where Shinji walks in on Rei naked and one of the ending ones where psychological introspection morphed into a harem romcom alternate reality which made me really confused) and watched the first two Rebuild movies, but I have not seen Evangelion proper. Figure it's about time I get around to that.

There's one episode where a lot of people didn't pick up on their tone of voice and took everything that was said at face value instead of reading the situation.

Yeah, I could see why the walking scene between Reina and Kumiko made some people come to the conclusion they did, but that's only if you're interpreting their behavior in it in the context of other anime series such as Yuyushiki that do do a lot of lesbian teasing instead of the context of Sound Euphonium itself, where it's clear that their relationship is not some traditionally romantic one.

See ! Me and Psycho_Mantis are not crazy !

If you'll look at what you quoted from Arasan, you'll note that even he said "the quick cuts in the melee combat parts made it hard to see at times", which is the basis of my complaint about Boruto's opening scene.

I think episode 10 felt like the best directed episode to me and ended up being much more captivating than the auditions, when those should be inherently more exciting. Curious what you'll say about it.

Auditions can be exciting, but they are over in a flash and I liked how that experience for Kumiko was portrayed. It's clear the fallout from giving Reina the solo instead of the veteran third-year trumpet player is going to be the real notable aspect of the auditions.

He can be all that and still engage dialogue more and, most importantly, tell these students e.g. what can be fun about taking part in a competition, improving at playing your instrument, being part of a band, striving to win a tournament and so on and so forth. Someone who's capable of conveying why I should be interested and give a damn is someone I'd really appreciate.

This is a highschool music club with some newer students with little and even no experience at all, not a music college. Maybe if some theoretical ideal you'd ask of all these students to give their all simply because they already decided to join this club but the reality is that there's a lot of different personalities and especially the newbies won't feel particularly engaged just because someone is 'no bullshit' when talking to them.

He can be as direct as he want and I really appreciate not telling any feel good lies. But there's still a lot to elaborate on what's actually fun and great and why these students might be interested. And not leaving these guys on their own when they are unsure doesn't hurt either.

It's great that he asks the group what they want to do but when half the people he's talking too are too unsure what to do and don't want to interfere with others because of it, then how representative is the answer he's getting really? If I just started to play an instrument and some teacher asked me if I wanted to play for fun or try to participate in a tournament I'd be a bit at a loss. When I see a few people raising there hands in favor of the competition, I, the newbie, would likely not want to go against that. Worse, if the Japanese context is taken into consideration and some of your senpai's want to take part. I'm in college and it can be embarrassing how shy people still are in regards to raising there hands in such votes.

Letting the group decide, or rather getting the answer the group actually wants, is usually not quite as simple as letting them vote on the spot. I'd still say Taki-sensei might have done the right thing ultimately, but he could've been better about it.

Most of the students in the band are more or less experienced. All the second- and third-years have been in the Kitauji band before, and even most of the first-years have had band experience at their previous schools. So Taki was sensible, especially as he's a new instructor coming in, to ask the students what they wanted out of their band experience. Many people in his position, a highly talented musician who already has a strong reputation for excellence, wouldn't have even asked but would have gone straight into harsh demands of the students.

Plus his methods worked. People complained at first, but pretty soon they buckled down and even the lazier people started taking the band seriously. In just a week, they went from a performance which assaulted the ears with its incompetency to a presentable performance. If you're going to try to argue that Taki is not a good teacher, there's no evidence in the show to support that position.

Theonik

Now that I am watching Sound Euphonium, I can confidently say your impression of it as a superficial sports yuri-pander fest with no character development is 100% mistaken.
!

Also, I have to say, I'm seven episodes in and have seen absolutely no sign of the "yuri pandering" that I've seen this show loudly criticized for in certain quarters. I have to conclude that there are a lot of idiots watching anime. Not that I didn't know that already, but you know.
So are you calling firehawk an idiot?!

*snip*

Plus his methods worked. People complained at first, but pretty soon they buckled down and even the lazier people started taking the band seriously. In just a week, they went from a performance which assaulted the ears with its incompetency to a presentable performance. If you're going to try to argue that Taki is not a good teacher, there's no evidence in the show to support that position.

Yeh and I've seen some people who criticize the show for just that. The portrayal of this talented composer/conductor turning around this school club in no time when his didactic abilities are far from optimal in reality.

Since I'm not considering him that great of a teacher in the way he's presented when he starts, I'm agreeing with this to some degree. I do think he is getting a better teacher along the way, though.

I think you confuse firehawk with someone who actually watched that anime.

Gundam the Origin II

This was so much better than I I'm kind of flabbergasted. It's clearly the same production, but whereas the first episode was some of the most farcical over-the-top melodrama I've ever seen with every character constantly overacting, the direction in this episode was toned way down, which made the drama more effective and actually allowed me to care about the characters and the tragedies that befall them. I'm glad I can now take this seriously. Since the two storyboarders (who are the two series directors) were the same for both episodes, I must assume that the fault lies with the unit director of the first episode. Hopefully he does not return, and the remaining two episodes are treated in a similar manner to this one.

Firehawk barely watched Sound Euphonium and has formed his opinion of the show largely based on his impression of other people's impressions. So I'll let you decide.

Yeh and I've seen some people who criticize the show for just that. The portrayal of this talented composer/conductor turning around this school club in no time when his didactic abilities are far from optimal in reality.

Since I'm not considering him that great of a teacher in the way he's presented when he starts, I'm agreeing with this to some degree. I do think he is getting a better teacher along the way, though.

OK, if you want to complain that the methods Taki used would fail in reality, then you'll need to point to some real-life examples to support your position.

duckroll

Gundam the Origin II

This was so much better than I I'm kind of flabbergasted. It's clearly the same production, but whereas the first episode was some of the most farcical over-the-top melodrama I've ever seen with every character constantly overacting, the direction in this episode was toned way down, which made the drama more effective and actually allowed me to care about the characters and the tragedies that befall them. I'm glad I can now take this seriously. Since the two storyboarders (who are the two series directors) were the same for both episodes, I must assume that the fault lies with the unit director of the first episode. Hopefully he does not return, and the remaining two episodes are treated in a similar manner to this one.

I don't think there is any "fault" so to speak. Origin 2 isn't less melodramatic than Origin 1, and the direction in terms of the animation and exaggerated movements are all still there. Characters overact whenever they "need" to, and the general tone still feels more like that of a stage production than a movie or TV show. If there is a difference, it is that Origin 2 is filtered through a more matured viewpoint. This makes sense because if you think about it the story is about the siblings growing up and their different perspectives on what is happening to them.

In the first entry, they were much younger and saw the world in a much more innocent way where everything that was happened seemed sort of unreal and whimsical. So I think the direction just tried to follow that tone, even when they were not the narrative point of some of the scenes. In the second entry, as they have grown older and have a better understanding of what is happening in the world, the context makes everything feel more "real", and that same tone is conveyed to the audience.

OK, if you want to complain that the methods Taki used would fail in reality, then you'll need to point to some real-life examples to support your position.

Teachers, including music teachers, aren't trained to be cold and direct because that's all they need as long as they've really good knowledge of their subject. Whether in my school life or currently in college, the best teachers and lectures have always been those that, beyond a required high knowledge, are relatively friendly, encourage the dialogue with them, explain what they expect of you and why and give good context in life if possible.

How the fuck could it possibly be detrimental for Taki-sensei to explain why these students might like to participate in the competition. How much fun it can be to improve at your instruments, especially in a band environment?

Where is the damage in that? It's not waste of time unless you're teaching people who all know this perfectly well already, which is clearly not the case with all of these students. If I'm not mistaken that particular high school wasn't even one that's well regarded for it's music division. Another one, that Kumiko decided not to go to, was and is mentioned here and there.

phaze

Caught two random episodes on Adult Swim back in the day (the one where Shinji walks in on Rei naked and one of the ending ones where psychological introspection morphed into a harem romcom alternate reality which made me really confused) and watched the first two Rebuild movies, but I have not seen Evangelion proper. Figure it's about time I get around to that.

Don't think these two rebuilds reveal a whole lot of the show proper though I imagine you caught some spoilers through general osmosis on the net.

If you'll look at what you quoted from Arasan, you'll note that even he said "the quick cuts in the melee combat parts made it hard to see at times", which is the basis of my complaint about Boruto's opening scene.

And despite these problems (I think I acknowledged them too in my earlier post ?) he thinks of it as one of two best scenes in Boruto. :p

oh I guess Ill do
Naruto
~monogatari
Hikaru no Go
Akagi
Kaiji
Gintama [frst series]

I don't think there is any "fault" so to speak. Origin 2 isn't less melodramatic than Origin 1, and the direction in terms of the animation and exaggerated movements are all still there. Characters overact whenever they "need" to, and the general tone still feels more like that of a stage production than a movie or TV show. If there is a difference, it is that Origin 2 is filtered through a more matured viewpoint. This makes sense because if you think about it the story is about the siblings growing up and their different perspectives on what is happening to them.

In the first entry, they were much younger and saw the world in a much more innocent way where everything that was happened seemed sort of unreal and whimsical. So I think the direction just tried to follow that tone, even when they were not the narrative point of some of the scenes. In the second entry, as they have grown older and have a better understanding of what is happening in the world, the context makes everything feel more "real", and that same tone is conveyed to the audience.

Hmmm. I agree that Origin II had the same basic philosophy as I, but I felt it was executed much better and the melodrama, while still there, was kept in much better proportion. Part of my problem with I also was that it just threw the viewer into the thick of events and spiraled from one crazy event to another, while II allowed for some downtime and thus took more time to build up to the key dramatic moments, thus making them more meaningful. Perhaps the difference was intended to be what you say, but the first episode came off as comical from the first post-title screen where Daikun hammed it up in front of his wife.

But speaking of the characters growing older, the worst part of Origin II was that Casval didn't sound a day under 30 (if not older).

Teachers, including music teachers, aren't trained to be cold and direct because that's all they need as long as they've really good knowledge of their subject. Whether in my school life or currently in college, the best teachers and lectures have always been those that, beyond a required high knowledge, are relatively friendly, encourage the dialogue with them, explain what they expect of you and why and give good context in life if possible.

How the fuck could it possibly be detrimental for Taki-sensei to explain why these students might like to participate in the competition. How much fun it can be to improve at your instruments, especially in a band environment?

Where is the damage in that? It's not waste of time unless you're teaching people who all know this perfectly well already, which is clearly not the case with all of these students. If I'm not mistaken that particular high school wasn't even one that's well regarded for it's music division. Another one, that Kumiko decided not to go to, was and is mentioned here and there.

Taki is direct, and doesn't get emotional, but he's not cold. He worked tirelessly in sectionals to improve the individual performers between the two ensemble performances of the Marines' Hymn, responds to all of his students' questions, and uses many different and creative teaching techniques to help the band grow. He gives them encouraging words at just the right times, and in an authentic manner, so that the students know he isn't just bullshitting them but genuinely cares about them and their musical ability.

I've worked with bad music teachers, both those who have been so apathetic that they smile and approve of everything students bring them without offering any meaningful feedback or criticism, and those who yell at their students for not immediately giving them what they want without offering any concrete suggestions for improvement. Taki is not a bad music teacher. I'm not really sure why you are so upset about him.

I've worked with bad music teachers, both those who have been so apathetic that they smile and approve of everything students bring them without offering any meaningful feedback or criticism, and those who yell at their students for not immediately giving them what they want without offering any concrete suggestions for improvement. Taki is not a bad music teacher. I'm not really sure why you are so upset about him.

I'm not 'so upset' about him. I think he's a fairly interesting character I just have a minor problem how the show portrays him. I have more of a problem that so many people seem do idolize him.

This is not a perfect teacher to me and if this is not cold then we'll never get to an agreement because we've got a different understanding.

I'm not 'so upset' about him. I think he's a fairly interesting character I just have a minor problem how the show portrays him. I have more of a problem that so many people seem do idolize him.

This is not a perfect teacher to me and if this is not cold then we'll never get to an agreement because we've got a different understanding.

I understand how that particular scene may seem cold of Taki, particularly in isolation. But when you look at his actions as a whole, it's clear that his goal is not to tear the band members down, but to build them up. However, to be built up, sometimes tearing down is necessary if a solid foundation has not been built. It is common, when a musician starts with a new teacher, for that teacher to throw away the technique the music student has built up to now due to its faulty nature, and go back to basics to build things properly. There may have been a gentler way to tell the flutist here that she was poor, but sometimes I do think being blunt is the best approach.

However...

Sound Euphonium 10

I do actually agree with NaDannMaGoGo a bit in this episode, in that I think Taki let things get out of hand when the post-audition rumors started to drag down the whole band. He was in a difficult situation, and you could see him getting irritated and actually lose his cool for the first time. If he was more experienced in these sorts of situations, he could probably have handled things better. But the decision he came to at the copier, to hold second auditions in front of the whole band, was probably the best thing he could do to resolve the situation.

Qurupeke

Hibike! Euphonium OVA

Maaan, Katou is the best. I just realized that only 10 kids were left outside of the main band, and only 3 of them are senpais. I'd feel horrible if I was in their shoes. Nakagawa is so awesome for having to experience all that despite her work. It was a good extra episode and I liked it was parallel to the main series' last few episodes.

Sterok

Go Princess Precure 46

Shut always was the most enjoyable villain. Even birds mock him now. Towa rallies her servants well. Must be lots of bored students. Nice that they're explicitly going for the redemption angle. Though instead he's off on his own journey of self-discovery.

School Rumble - 20

I just love how this show keeps going with its jokes. There are very few one-off laughs that are then forgotten. Even when something stupidly wacky is part of gag it'll actually resurface until properly dealt with. Love that kind of continuity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom