• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
!

So are you calling firehawk an idiot?!
As I am to Euphonium fans, Xavier Woods is to Bloodborne fans. lol

Basically. From the current arc in the anime up to where the manga is right now, it's only been serious arcs one after the other.
Based on what I read of the manga a few months ago, it really does feel like they're at end game territory. Hell, the second movie felt that way too.

Maybe at the last moment they'll add a One Piece basement thing that they need to find in order to have an excuse to continue the series indefinitely.

Basically. From the current arc in the anime up to where the manga is right now, it's only been serious arcs one after the other.

As I am to Euphonium fans, Xavier Woods is to Bloodborne fans. lol

Based on what I read of the manga a few months ago, it really does feel like they're at end game territory. Hell, the second movie felt that way too.

Maybe at the last moment they'll add a One Piece basement thing that they need to find in order to have an excuse to continue the series indefinitely.
After Shirobako I gotta catch up with Gintama then.

Russ T

Banned
Yep. It's Japanese Stargate SG-1, but without any of the attempts at leftist liberal leanings. lol

yo hol' on don't be bad mouthing stargate around me

(you might be right with that assessment, i was not very politically minded when i last watched stargate, i'd probably be more conscious of it now)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If Yamato is Anime bsg/star trek

Then what's the Anime star wars?
Macross!

yo hol' on don't be bad mouthing stargate around me

(you might be right with that assessment, i was not very politically minded when i last watched stargate, i'd probably be more conscious of it now)
They did a lot of "racism is bad" episodes throughout the years. lol

That too. The military propaganda is so cheesy, such ego stroking.
It makes perfect sense that the books were written by a psycho ex-JDSF veteran. :p

Shouta

I don't think GATE is nearly as much propaganda as folks think unless the viewer hates the Japanese military or think they're totally incompetent, lol.

The most I can say is it's presenting military hardware as super shiny.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think GATE is nearly as much propaganda as folks think unless the viewer hates the Japanese military or think they're totally incompetent, lol.

The most I can say is it's presenting military hardware as super shiny.
Even in Stargate, the American military at least faced some problems. Here the Japanese are not only the best in the fantasy world, but also in the "real" world as well.

Sound Euphonium 11-13

Wow. After this, I have to say Sound Euphonium is my favorite music anime, my favorite anime of 2015, my favorite anime from Kyoto Animation. I can't know how this appears to non-musicians, maybe it's not so impressive, but that re-audition, Reina's solo from her very first note - that first note! -, Kumiko's feelings of frustration, the competition performance. It was all perfect. There have been other anime which have dealt with music and musicians to various degrees: Kids on the Slope, Nodame Cantabile, Your Lie in April. But none of them have gotten it right like this. None of them have captured like this what makes music, music making, music practicing, music ensembles, music love, so special. This spoke to me on a personal level so hard.

I can hardly believe there is a season 2 coming later this year. I don't know where exactly that's going to go, but if it stays at this level... Wow.

I'd love to have an experimental anime episode in the style of Perfect Insider's OP. Just a minimalistic, rotoscoped approach to a single episode, conveying all the storytelling through body language. It'd be pretty sweet.

Also, obligatory beginning of the year - maybe we'll finally get Spice and Wolf Season 3.

I don't think kids on the slope was ever about the music itself as much as using it to drive the characters.

And some bitching music scenes with jazz of course. 2 good. I'll likely watch euphonium before season 2.

I don't think kids on the slope was ever about the music itself as much as using it to drive the characters.

Kids on the Slope overall was definitely more about the character (melo)drama than the music. And that was to its detriment, because while the performance scenes were great, especially the end of episode 7, the character drama was shitty.

Narag

Star Wars: The Force Awakens
If I wanted bad space nazis, I could have stayed home and finished ZZ Gundam instead.

So since the Berserk anime seems like a disappointment judging by the trailer.

What will be the next disappointment for 2016? Any guesses?

...Is Yamato good? Do I need to add it to my backlog? I just recently added LoGH, though. ):

The original Space Battleship Yamato TV series from the 1970s is unwatchable today, but the Space Battleship Yamato 2199 remake is top-notch, the perfect example of how a reboot of a nostalgic property should be done.

...Is Yamato good? Do I need to add it to my backlog? I just recently added LoGH, though. ):
Yamato 2199 isn't only a good sci fi Anime, it's a good sci fi show period.

It has what is arguably my favorite episode of androids dreaming of electric sheep since... Well blade runner lol

Yes you should definitely find a way to watch it. Especially with logh getting a Blu ray release at some point in the future we might as well wait for that and then I'll watch it alongside you bebbis

Russ T

Banned
The original Space Battleship Yamato TV series from the 1970s is unwatchable today, but the Space Battleship Yamato 2199 remake is top-notch, the perfect example of how a reboot of a nostalgic property should be done.

Yeah it's very good however, I'm still at episode 13. Although from what I watch it's pretty much one of the best if not best anime that handles Sci-Fi.

Yamato 2199 isn't only a good sci fi Anime, it's a good sci fi show period.

It has what is arguably my favorite episode of androids dreaming of electric sheep since... Well blade runner lol

Yes you should definitely find a way to watch it. Especially with logh getting a Blu ray release at some point in the future we might as well wait for that and then I'll watch it alongside you bebbis

Dang, I guess I'll have to backlog it, then.

There's more I want to watch before I make any post in the AOTY voting thread, but I'm confident enough that my current top will stay at the top that I'll post a list of 2015 anime I have enjoyed, from best to worst.

Sound! Euphonium
When Marnie Was There
Shounen Hollywood
Yamato 2199: Odyssey of the Celestial Ark
The Diary of Ochibi
Kagewani
Kanon
Haikyuu S2
Bureau of Proto Society
Ghost in the Shell: New Movie
Gundam the Origin II
Endless Night
Cassette Girl
Baruto: Naruto the Movie
The Ultraman
Teekyuu
Bubu and Bubulina
Obake-chan
I Can Friday by Day
Gundam the Origin I
Aki no Kanade
Takamiya Nasuno Desu!

Shouta

Even in Stargate, the American military at least faced some problems. Here the Japanese are not only the best in the fantasy world, but also in the "real" world as well.

Fantasy world is expected but in the real world, they got away with it because the other groups didn't expect an ambush, were at a terrain disadvantage, and didn't expect them to have trained special agents. It kinda works without being overly patriotic. It's a situational advantage. If it was illogical advantage, I'd agree lol.

Wasn't GATE the Anime where the Americans were plotting to fuck over Japan and the president was basically like Trump lol

Poor Japan. Everybody wants to take from you.

Russ T

Banned
It’s that time of year again where our New Year’s resolutions come about and we decide this is the year we finally get to that hole in the backlog we keep putting off. Like last time, I’ll leave this open until Feb 1st and remind people monthly.

All right I've got my list...

• Legend of Galactic Heroes
  • Gintama (75 episodes in)
  • Space Brothers (62 episodes in)
  • Lupin III (red/pink/blue)
  • Space Battleship Yamato 2199
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena
  • Mawaru Penguindrum
  • Steins;Gate
  • Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei

I almost added the entirety of Case Closed to that list, but I want to have SOME free time this year.

I may be over-committing here... But then again I watched a lot of shit this last year, so maybe I can keep up the pace without burning out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fantasy world is expected but in the real world, they got away with it because the other groups didn't expect an ambush, were at a terrain disadvantage, and didn't expect them to have trained special agents. It kinda works without being overly patriotic. It's a situational advantage. If it was illogical advantage, I'd agree lol.
You're talking about a country that has a huge American base stationed inside its borders. Well, assuming that the Americans are still in Okinawa anyway. If they really wanted this Gate for themselves, surely it wouldn't be an issue. What would Japan even do? Even the Japanese PM's defiance of America is part of the nationalistic message.

kylo x hux is the best route.
Which one is Hux?

Oh, their version of Rommel. Yeah, Hux is the top in that one.

It’s that time of year again where our New Year’s resolutions come about and we decide this is the year we finally get to that hole in the backlog we keep putting off. Like last time, I’ll leave this open until Feb 1st and remind people monthly.

Legend of Galactic Heroes
Monogatari series
That one Anime Envelope has as an avatar

Psycho-Pass Movie

Had this one in my backlog. It was with much bravery after a shitty second season that I gave this one a try.

This is what Season 2 should have been. Can I just forget that the second series existed and pretend that all I've seen is Season 1 and this? We got to see familiar faces again, badass fights, a decent story... Oh and the animation and backgrounds were on point too.

Solid 9/10. Not a 10 because too much Engrish.

pbayne

So since the Berserk anime seems like a disappointment judging by the trailer.

What will be the next disappointment for 2016? Any guesses?

Why? The movies got the look nailed down by the third movie and we have no idea how far in production the footage from that trailer is.

Plus its Berserk so its not going to disappoint on the story front.

Think positive. What'll be the unexpected gems of 2016? Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu and Boku dake ga Inai Machi look to have potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom