• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shouta

You're talking about a country that has a huge American base stationed inside its borders. Well, assuming that the Americans are still in Okinawa anyway. If they really wanted this Gate for themselves, surely it wouldn't be an issue. What would Japan even do? Even the Japanese PM's defiance of America is part of the nationalistic message.

Which one is Hux?

Oh, their version of Rommel. Yeah, Hux is the top in that one.

They still have the base in Okinawa last I checked but it was such a hot topic issue when I was there.

America taking the Gate by force would be illogical and if they did it, would actually support the idea that the show is pretty nationalistic It would show America in a bad political light and Japan as the good guys. But the show avoids that by running plot points with the current political situation intact. I mean America still looks kinda bad because of the political blackmail but it isn't like the US government is squeaky clean.

I certainly agree that it's puffing up the military some and there's a bit nationalistic pride in there but it's only to the point where it's showing that Japan is competent. It's not anymore than what we'd see in most films about the US military, for the most part. If they were overly showing how capable the military was then, I'd say it definitely is propaganda. It's just showing "We aren't incompetent! ;_;"

Why? The movies got the look nailed down by the third movie and we have no idea how far in production the footage from that trailer is.

Plus its Berserk so its not going to disappoint on the story front.

Think positive. What'll be the unexpected gems of 2016? Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu and Boku dake ga Inai Machi look to have potential.

I have to say those two shows you mentioned below are the ones I'm really interested in for Winter Season.

Qurupeke

Baccano 01

Decided to check what the hype is all about. Watching this one in English, since you lot say this is the best way to go about it.

tumblr_n2vdi717gU1t4ihtxo1_400.gif

Theonik

Star Wars: The Force Awakens
If I wanted bad space nazis, I could have stayed home and finished ZZ Gundam instead.
The villains in the Force Awakens are probably the worst part of it or at least my least favourite. They kind of kill the whole thing flat.

The villains in the Force Awakens are probably the worst part of it or at least my least favourite. They kind of kill the whole thing flat.

Kylo Ren
actually is interesting to me and I'm curious how he'll develop. The rest though, right in the trash please.

Theonik

Kylo Ren
actually is interesting to me and I'm curious how he'll develop. The rest though, right in the trash please.
I can see they were trying to give him character by trying to make him appear more human. I am not sure I'm fond of this approach though. He feels out of place and clashes with the rest of the film's presentation. You can feel a lot of clashes in the film's structure because of that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Finn x Chewie
All that fur.

That antenna also vibrates...
And it's removable!

They still have the base in Okinawa last I checked but it was such a hot topic issue when I was there.

America taking the Gate by force would be illogical and if they did it, would actually support the idea that the show is pretty nationalistic It would show America in a bad political light and Japan as the good guys. But the show avoids that by running plot points with the current political situation intact. I mean America still looks kinda bad because of the political blackmail but it isn't like the US government is squeaky clean.

I certainly agree that it's puffing up the military some and there's a bit nationalistic pride in there but it's only to the point where it's showing that Japan is competent. It's not anymore than what we'd see in most films about the US military, for the most part. If they were overly showing how capable the military was then, I'd say it definitely is propaganda. It's just showing "We aren't incompetent! ;_;"
Well, it's on the same scale as Stargate or ID4 or any of those things where the American military is the best. It's not even accusatory, but more of an observation. It's uniqueness comes from the fact that it's about Japanese Jack O'Neill hamming it up as the best soldier in the world of GATE. I can see how the anime writers had to cut stuff out from the guy's original books in order to make them at least palatable, because I can imagine a version of this story that goes even deeper than it does.

BRB writing slash fic

It'll take place in the emperor Palpatine body reconstruction center
That whole thing made it seemed like Palpatine was purposefully torturing Anakin in order to create a codependent relationship.

Which just reminded me of a joke I made after I watched the film yesterday:
"There's a powerful film about men in a religious order emotionally manipulating vulnerable young boys in order to exploit them in a mental and physical manner. But enough about Star Wars, let's talk about Spotlight."

This is going to sound really stupid, but I liked TFA mostly because it almost felt like the "Pokemon Gen 2" of Star Wars to me.

Now, I'm only really familiar with A New Hope (I haven't watched ESB or ROTJ, but I know what happens in them), and I was surprised at the connections I was able to draw between the two.

In Pokemon Gen 2, the villains come from the remnants of the villains of Gen 1.
It's MC goes on a similar path to the protagonist of Gen 1.
At the end of the game, the MC meets the protagonist of Gen 1 on a mountain.

I know I'm probably grasping at straws here, but those similarities just really stuck out for me, haha.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
To keep it somewhat on topic, I would say that TFA is basically Rebuild of Star Wars 1.11 in terms of being a slavish retelling of the same story.

Shouta

AWell, it's on the same scale as Stargate or ID4 or any of those things where the American military is the best. It's not even accusatory, but more of an observation. It's uniqueness comes from the fact that it's about Japanese Jack O'Neill hamming it up as the best soldier in the world of GATE. I can see how the anime writers had to cut stuff out from the guy's original books in order to make them at least palatable, because I can imagine a version of this story that goes even deeper than it does.

Yeah, I can agree with that. Now all I'm going to see Itami as is Macguyver...

At least compared to the manga version, it's not as bloody but the general beats and details seem to be the same. I've heard the original net-novel version was a bit more jingoistic but the author apparently toned it down for the manga which then got toned down ever so slightly for the anime. He seems to have kept the core of the message wanted without some of the fringe elements.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, I can agree with that. Now all I'm going to see Itami as is Macguyver...

At least compared to the manga version, it's not as bloody but the general beats and details seem to be the same. I've heard the original net-novel version was a bit more jingoistic but the author apparently toned it down for the manga which then got toned down ever so slightly for the anime. He seems to have kept the core of the message wanted without some of the fringe elements.
The one thing that makes no sense is that if you were an alien, learning Japanese would probably be the most useless language to learn if you wanted to communicate with everyone on Earth. But of course that's not really worth bringing up because it's about Japan. lol

Shouta

The one thing that makes no sense is that if you were an alien, learning Japanese would probably be the most useless language to learn if you wanted to communicate with everyone on Earth. But of course that's not really worth bringing up because it's about Japan. lol

Well, most of the that went through the gate Japanese. The JP government declared it a part of Japan so the only folks that are allowed in and out of it are Japanese. Naturally, they'd learn JP to communicate with those folks. =o

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, most of the that went through the gate Japanese. The JP government declared it a part of Japan so the only folks that are allowed in and out of it are Japanese. Naturally, they'd learn JP to communicate with those folks. =o
You could say it's an allegory of the last time Japan had an empire, and people in Korea and parts of China were forced to learn Japanese as the only way to deal with their occupiers!

To be fair Stargate was weird about this too, but the aliens almost never visited Earth. And it never really addressed geopolitics.

Shouta

You could say it's an allegory of the last time Japan had an empire, and people in Korea and parts of China were forced to learn Japanese as the only way to deal with their occupiers!

To be fair Stargate was weird about this too, but the aliens almost never visited Earth. And it never really addressed geopolitics.

Same with the British. D=

Actually, now that I think about it. You're right. All the aliens learn English in Stargate but rarely ever visit Earth. Did they ever come up with a Universal translator? Or did they explain it as magic powers?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Same with the British. D=

Actually, now that I think about it. You're right. All the aliens learn English in Stargate but rarely ever visit Earth. Did they ever come up with a Universal translator? Or did they explain it as magic powers?
With the Jaffa I guess it made sense because they only dealt with the Americans. Ultimately there were Russian teams, but the assumption is that they just spoke English as well.

The show started with all the aliens speaking ancient Egyptian, which is why they needed Daniel, but they just slowly made everyone speak English because it's just easier. I think they just invented a thing in the writer's room where passing through the Stargate gave you language nanites or something.

Think positive. What'll be the unexpected gems of 2016? Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu and Boku dake ga Inai Machi look to have potential.

Those wouldn't be unexpected at all, as they have well-respected source material, talented staff, and good looking trailers. I have more faith in them at this point than, say, Diamond is Unbreakable or My Hero Academia. If there's an unexpected gem that will come this year, we don't know about it now.

Yeah getting the Char VA back to voice a teenager was not their smartest decision...

I always hate when older VAs who can't play teenagers anymore are brought back. Fortunately he didn't speak much in this episode!

I can see they were trying to give him character by trying to make him appear more human. I am not sure I'm fond of this approach though. He feels out of place and clashes with the rest of the film's presentation. You can feel a lot of clashes in the film's structure because of that.

I like the idea behind his characterization, not sure on the execution. But that's primarily because J.J. Abrams is not a good director which is apparent in many regards in this film. But since the next one will have a great director, there's hoping.

@on topic

... Alright, I got nothing. But that shall be my last TFA related post for now!

Quasar

Well there was a fair bit of America versus the UN and Russia in Stargate as well as Stargate org versus other part of the US government/armed forces.

Theonik

I like the idea behind his characterization, not sure on the execution. But that's primarily because J.J. Abrams is not a good director which is apparent in many regards in this film. But since the next one will have a great director, there's hoping.
I am not sure if the idea behind him is good. It would work in a different film but I just didn't feel it in this one. Yes the execution in this film was very sloppy at places. We'll see I guess.

OT
Also I watched some anime might actually talk about them for a change.

ibyea

Banned
Kylo Ren

Heh, for me he was the most mishandled part of the movie, even if I saw what they were going for and there were some brilliant ideas regarding him.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 8

In the end the future didn't refuse to change and that ended up being the worst thing ever.

ibyea

Banned

@on topic

... Alright, I got nothing. But that shall be my last TFA related post for now!

I thought direction wise he was good and the writing is where he and his cowriters are really lacking.

Those wouldn't be unexpected at all, as they have well-respected source material, talented staff, and good looking trailers. I have more faith in them at this point than, say, Diamond is Unbreakable or My Hero Academia. If there's an unexpected gem that will come this year, we don't know about it now.

I understand having less faith in My Hero Academia because after reading the source material it's a really generic Shonen series and it plays it too safe. Heck even the pacing of the series is too fast and it lacks the ability to develop its world properly. However, I have to ask why do you have less faith in Diamond is Unbreakable because after reading the source material I can safely say it's one of the best Parts due to how laid back the atmosphere is. It doesn't take itself too seriously and the Strands have more depth to them than say Part 3 did.

I'm surprised that people actually remember Rolling Girls.

I mean it wasn't even that bad of a show, but I watched it, and I barely remember it.

I understand having less faith in My Hero Academia because after reading the source material it's a really generic Shonen series and it plays it too safe. Heck even the pacing of the series is too fast and it lacks the ability to develop its world properly. However, I have to ask why do you have less faith in Diamond is Unbreakable because after reading the source material I can safely say it's one of the best Parts due to how laid back the atmosphere is. It doesn't take itself too seriously and the Strands have more depth to them than say Part 3 did.

Perhaps if I read the manga I would be excited, and I'm certainly glad to see Terumi Nishii on it, but I am not convinced that David Production can put out a strong production. I am also hoping that the Diamond is Unbreakable adaptation doesn't drag as much as the Stardust Crusaders one did.

I'm surprised that people actually remember Rolling Girls.

I mean it wasn't even that bad of a show, but I watched it, and I barely remember it.

If you're looking for animation highlights, Rolling Girls definitely had some of those, even if it was wildly inconsistent.

Chindogg

If you're already on the post-snake arc, reminder to watch the blue-ray Onimonogatari opening if you're watching the broadcast version.

Just finished the Kaiki arc. Why the fuck was this not the original opening for Shinobu?

Also, how many more characters have to disappear through various tragic occurrences in this series? Every arc in this season ends in someone in pain, disappearing, or dying.

If you're looking for animation highlights, Rolling Girls definitely had some of those, even if it was wildly inconsistent.

The final episode wasn't even finished.

Whenever Rolling Girls is brought up, I think of Yatterman Nights. Another show that started off interesting, but didn't seem to have any real story figured out. And just like Rolling Girls, its final episode just wasn't finished.

ibyea

Banned
Box of Spirits - 7
I feel like I just received a lecture on Japanese mythology. Heck, that is what half this episode was, a lecture. I don't even understand what the point was. The second half of this episode finally gets to what the point of the last 3 episodes was. This single conversation took 3 episodes! While the topics were interesting, the exposition I can say was just too long. Things should get back on track after this, hopefully.

Joe Molotov

The final episode wasn't even finished.

Whenever Rolling Girls, I think of Yatterman Nights. Another show that started off interesting, but didn't seem to have any real story figured out. And just like Rolling Girls, its final episode just wasn't finished.

They probably just figured no one was still watching by that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom