• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exalted

Just finished Owarimonogatari, and all of the monogatari series over the course of the last 3 months, except the very first one which i watched years ago.

I think i probably enjoyed Owari the most on average of all the series, even though it didn't have my favorite arc of the series, the time jump one.

Just finished Owarimonogatari, and all of the monogatari series over the course of the last 3 months, except the very first one which i watched years ago.

I think i probably enjoyed Owari the most on average of all the series, even though it didn't have my favorite arc of the series, the time jump one.

Good for you that there is Kizu Part 1 and Koyomimonogatari this month. What a time to be alive!

The final episode wasn't even finished.

Whenever Rolling Girls, I think of Yatterman Nights. Another show that started off interesting, but didn't seem to have any real story figured out. And just like Rolling Girls, its final episode just wasn't finished.

It's an unfortunate consequence of the way the anime industry works, but at least in Yatterman's case they did fix it for the BDs. It's always amusing to watch a KyoAni show and notice how the credits for each episode are so much smaller than literally every other TV anime.

Box of Spirits - 7
I feel like I just received a lecture on Japanese mythology. Heck, that is what half this episode was, a lecture. I don't even understand what the point was. The second half of this episode finally gets to what the point of the last 3 episodes was. This single conversation took 3 episodes! While the topics were interesting, the exposition I can say was just too long. Things should get back on track after this, hopefully.

Yeah, the mythology lecture does drag. It does have a point, which will become more apparent in the remaining episodes, but it is a case where the literary source doesn't translate smoothly into a visual medium.

phaze

The final episode wasn't even finished.

Whenever Rolling Girls, I think of Yatterman Nights. Another show that started off interesting, but didn't seem to have any real story figured out. And just like Rolling Girls, its final episode just wasn't finished.

Hmmm ? They had heavy foreshadowing for the big reveal in the first episode, probably even in the opening scene if my memory serves. So it's clear they had the thrust of the story figured out. They they chose to fill the middle with poor episodic stuff is another matter.

Just finished the Kaiki arc. Why the fuck was this not the original opening for Shinobu?

Also, how many more characters have to disappear through various tragic occurrences in this series? Every arc in this season ends in someone in pain, disappearing, or dying.

All I know is that Shinobu's VA doesn't do sons under character names but I've no clue if the two are connected.

Also: everyone.gif

Cornbread78

Awesome stuff, huh?!

Bakemonogatari is still my favorite in terms of story, presentation and character development, plus that episode 12 awesomeness!

Chindogg

All I know is that Shinobu's VA doesn't do sons under character names but I've no clue if the two are connected.

Also: everyone.gif

Man the To Love-Ru OVA can't get here soon enough. I need an idiotic comedy harem to cleanse all this tragic depression.

Awesome stuff, huh?!

Bakemonogatari is still my favorite in terms of story, presentation and character development, plus that episode 12 awesomeness!

I love episode 12. It almost seems like they give us that to basically punch us in the stomach for an entire season afterwards.

I love the series so far, but I have to stop after every arc because it becomes way too much.

ibyea

Banned
Box of Spirits - 8
I like this show a lot more now that it's back on track. With further details on the murder, the dismemberment case is now even more disturbing. The episode seems to be setting up the putting together of the puzzle pieces. And once again the show becomes a master of cliffhangers. Just as an aside,
Yoriko shouldn't be following someone as creepy looking as him who claims he probably knows where Kanako is.

Qurupeke

I still consider the Second Series to be the best one. Hopefully when we'll get the rest of Owari, I'll change my opinion. I just need a scene with Senjougahara that tops Bake 12, more Kaiki and the truth about Ougi being satisfying.

Good for you that there is Kizu Part 1 and Koyomimonogatari this month. What a time to be alive!

Yeah, it seems like an eternity since Owari finished. >_>

Koyomimonogatari has some good art.
img_main01_pc.jpg
img_main02_pc.jpg

Quasar

Koyomimonotagari is 12 short stories which were released before Owarimonogatari. It will be streamed through the official Monogatari app.

I wonder what that means for non Japan folks. Will the app be released worldwide with subs? Or will CR simulcast it as a short series?

John Blade

Look like I might get done Rahxephon for sure. It start to get interesting now as I get closer to the end. Hope it get interesting or a failure.

ibyea

Banned
Box of Spirits - 9
Wellp, that ending was a foregone conclusion. And at the very least for the dismemberment case, yeah the culprit is pretty obvious. Also this Enokizu character, he is all kinds of messed up. He let
Yoriko go even though there was a chance the murderer was after her because of her mother's involvement with that charlatan's organization, and he didn't even stop her because he wasn't 100% sure.

You know, if there was one show in 2015 that I had a love-hate relationship with, it was Arslan Senki.

A show that alternated between being quality and QUALITY. A show that alternated between interesting debates on the merits of a kind king or cruel king, and people just walking down halls talking about nothing. A show that had an opening this awesome...while most of the non cgi action looked cruddy...and at times really laughably bad.

latest

Yes, that's a man, riding a horse, that's riding an elephant, engaged in a sword fight.

And yes, that's a serious scene.

Baccano 2

This show is both super silly and gory lol. And these supernatural powers are something I actually wasn't expecting at all, something that I didn't mention on my previous post. I dig the accents too, really makes the characters more... idk human??

Russ T

Banned
You know, if there was one show in 2015 that I had a love-hate relationship with, it was Arslan Senki.

A show that alternated between being quality and QUALITY. A show that alternated between interesting debates on the merits of a kind king or cruel king, and people just walking down halls talking about nothing. A show that had an opening this awesome...while most of the non cgi action looked cruddy...and at times really laughably bad.

latest

Yes, that's a man, riding a horse, that's riding an elephant, engaged in a sword fight.

Hahaha I liked Arslan a lot despite its flaws, but I had forgotten about that incredible scene.

The CGI armies were truly horrific to behold.

I think part of the reason I forgave the QUALITY so much is because a decent number of the one-on-one sword fights were just really goddamn good. Not all, but enough.

Ascheroth

latest

That's amazing.

Knights of Sidonia S1 1-END

I never expected to like an all CGI anime but this was amazing! The characters are likeable and the music and actions scenes are mostly great!
My favourite scene was in episode 10 when they use the prototype gun for the fist time to save the ship. Truly amazing scene!

Hoping season 2 is as great!

Also, Polygon studio is the studio doing the new Berserk anime right? if so I'll definitely watch.

ibyea

Banned
Box of Spirits - 10
I didn't know a religious confrontation could be this exciting. ^_^
So Terada is shown to be a faker and more of the past between him and Kubo is revealed.
Finally oh that ending is quiet a surprise,
Kubo gets dismembered.
This show is really good at cliffhangers.

ibyea

Banned

latest

that is just so good XD

Ascheroth

I never expected to like an all CGI anime but this was amazing! The characters are likeable and the music and actions scenes are mostly great!
My favourite scene was in episode 10 when they use the prototype gun for the fist time to save the ship. Truly amazing scene!

Also, Polygon studio is the studio doing the new Berserk anime right? if so I'll definitely watch.

Yay, someone else that liked Sidonia!

Season 2 is a bit more... imbalanced then the first one. It ramps up the harem parts a bit too much, but on the other hand everything else is a lot better, the action scenes in particular. There's also a lot of new awesome tech incoming.
Hope you'll enjoy it!

And nope, Polygon isn't doing Berserk, that's studio 4°C I believe.
Polygon is doing Ajin next season though, if I remember correctly.

Yay, someone else that liked Sidonia!

Season 2 is a bit more... imbalanced then the first one. It ramps up the harem parts a bit too much, but on the hand everything else is a lot better, the action scenes in particular. There's also a lot of new awesome tech incoming.
Hope you'll enjoy it!

And nope, Polygon isn't doing Berserk, that's studio 4°C I believe.
Polygon is doing Ajin next season though, if I remember correctly.
Great news then!
They are doing Ajin eh? Good to know! Hope they do a great job with it.

Really? The low framerate is hard to stomach.

jordisok

Randomly got started on Initial D tonight trying to get some more value out of my funimation sub till it runs out. It's such a weird looking show lmao, there's always a big disconnect with CG stuff anyways and I can see why they use it so much on this kinda production but something about it compared to the character designs is just so weird.

Enjoying it though :) also one kinda sounds a lot like bon clay or someone need to look that up later

I completely forgot how godtier the Openings and Endings are for D.Gray-Man.

Although my favorite is Ending 5.

I never skipped this Ending once because the vocals and the atmosphere effectively convey the melancholy nature of the series. Hopefully the 2016 version will have a great Opening and Ending that successfully portrays the series.

Also this is where Lenalee loses her twintail. :(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I love the comedy too but considering those episodes greatly outnumber the serious arcs it wouldn't hurt.

I feel Gintama's strength lies in the fact it mixes things up. Having a whole series that was purely serious/sad with no humour would seriously take away from what Gintama is.

So, uh, about Macross Delta...

...it's practically Kawamori's last two shows, Macross Frontier and AKB0048, mashed together.

The ending song is catchy though...maybe enough to make me stick around as a hopeless Macross fan. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hey look, someone besides me that likes Sidonia. That reminds me, I need to get to watching the second season at some point.

Idolm@ster: Cinderella Girls END - I'm impressed that they managed to build a show with so many unlikable characters. Mio probably annoyed me the most, what a selfish goddamn person and someone needed to call her out on her shit some times. But really, all the characters seem super one-dimensional and are little more than walking tropes. Except Anzu, she's legit.

Just in general, in the great Pantheon of Idol shows, this ranks near the bottom, in Locodol territory. Love Live has the benefit of being legitimate funny, and WUG gets points for just being raw and showing the unfriendly side of the business. Without interesting and likable characters, Idolm@ster's weak drama just doesn't do it.

And with that, I'm not sure there's anything else from the 2015 year that I feel I "need" to watch. Felt a little weak compared to last year. Probably ought to get to writing up an AOTY post.

Macross Delta preview Episode

I am totally down with super powered idols saving the world combined with their mech piloting guardians.

ibyea

Banned
Box of Spirits - 11
Wow, this is rare, an anime that doesn't just gloss over WWII as "that terrible incident" and talks about some of Japan's part in it.

The latter half of the episode was really good, with
Kiba about to do something terrible due to getting the wrong idea about the Kanako case and the dismemberment case.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Idolm@ster: Cinderella Girls END - I'm impressed that they managed to build a show with so many unlikable characters. Mio probably annoyed me the most, what a selfish goddamn person and someone needed to call her out on her shit some times. But really, all the characters seem super one-dimensional and are little more than walking tropes. Except Anzu, she's legit.
The original CG game has 100s of idols so yeah. they basically all just come down to a specific trope. It's one reason Miku and Mika were my favourites, they at least seemed a little rounded in this (ironically one of my first impressions was that I predicted Miku would be my least favourite because of her cat gimmick). The worst aspect of the show was that they introduce us to all these character and then focus of the main three, of which you already pointed out a third was really unlikable. The original iM@S got a bit of flack for giving more focus to Haruka, Miki and Chihaya, but at least you felt that you were following the story of the complete group. Here, 90% of the cast is just cast aside. The fact that the final arc lead up to a solo rather than a big group number just emphasised this. The original iM@S anime is still one of the best idol shows which makes CG even more disappointing, especially the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom