• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT2| It'll at least last longer than Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't watch Your Lie in April.

So obviously I don't know how valid this is, but I heard a lot of people say that show handles child abuse about as well as a drunk bear covered in molasses handles more alcohol.

ibyea

Banned
I didn't watch Your Lie in April.

So obviously I don't know how valid this is, but I heard a lot of people say that show handles child abuse about as well as a drunk bear covered in molasses handles more alcohol.

I wouldn't go that far and there are aspects of it that are well done, but there are other aspects of the show that undermines it. More specifically the comedy of the show undermines any serious drama the show has. And I don't mean the show should have been totally humorless. I mean that the timing and style of comedy it used were in some cases terrible for the kind of thing they were trying to do.

Line_HTX

I wouldn't go that far and there are aspects of it that are well done, but there are other aspects of the show that undermines it. More specifically the comedy of the show undermines any serious drama the show has. And I don't mean the show should have been totally humorless. I mean that the timing and style of comedy it used were terrible for the kind of thing they were trying to do.

Yes, this! I dropped this despite loving piano and classical music aspect of this because I got sick and tired of the terrible sudden extreme shift of moods. That's NOT how you do drama period. It made me so angry that I personally referred to it as Your Shit in April.

Jarmel

Banned
Macross Delta-
kpkSKCr.png
EntLwrk.png

How does the CGI look worse than Frontier? How?

Even besides that, this was just an utter clusterfuck. Feels bloated compared to Frontier. Music is also a step down.

The dogfight sequences have way too much garbage going on in them.

Cornbread78

Have not seen that.

Man, has anyone seen both? Baka has been hilarious so far and a lot of fun to watch.

Your Lie in April - 1
Well, it looks spectacular regarding the animation. Apart from that nothing's really captivated me yet. I've pretty much seen these kinds of character interactions from practically every romance anime ever, but I'll keep an open mind. I heard good things about the manga this is based off of.

Yes, great bet for you! Welcome to greatness and be ready to change your AOTY list for 2015.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm rewatching some dogfights from Frontier and it highlights how bad visually the stuff in Delta is. I'm not just talking about the CGI but how things are framed and where everything is location-wise.

Quasar

Yes, great bet for you! Welcome to greatness and be ready to change your AOTY list for 2015.

Makes perfect sense that you'd like this.

Really reminded me of a Key story. I liked it myself, I was just disappointed that it didn't throw any curve balls.

But that's kind of like getting angry about either the boy or the griffin dying in Last Guardian

Quasar

I'm rewatching some dogfights from Frontier and it highlights how bad visually the stuff in Delta is. I'm not just talking about the CGI but how things are framed and where everything is location-wise.

I suppose I cannot give it the benefit of the doubt with what shown being a incomplete draft version of episode 1. That said, all that did was make me want to rewatch Frontier rather than wanting more episodes.

Steins;Gate 6

So it's been a month or two since I've seen the last episode. That being said, I am still sort of lost with this show. Okabe is slowly growing his harem. That much is certain. Then there is him tampering with
time travel and CERN
. Aside from gathering new characters, I feel like nothing has really progressed. When is this supposed to flip the script?

Steins;Gate 6

So it's been a month or two since I've seen the last episode. That being said, I am still sort of lost with this show. Okabe is slowly growing his harem. That much is certain. Then there is him tampering with
time travel and CERN
. Aside from gathering new characters, I feel like nothing has really progressed. When is this supposed to flip the script?

You'll start to feel a sense of progression in a little bit. Trust me when I say that all these set-up episodes are super necessary and make things later down the line so much better. Make sure you pay attention! :D

Line_HTX

Concrete Revolutio 07

Leafa acting like justice is clear cut when it's not always 100% black and white.

Also, I dig the Astro Boy looks of this character.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
i just saw macross delta

i think i'd rather re-watch seven than see any more of this. what the fuck happened :(

Your Lie in April - 1

Well, it looks spectacular regarding the animation. Apart from that nothing's really captivated me yet. I've pretty much seen these kinds of character interactions from practically every romance anime ever, but I'll keep an open mind. I heard good things about the manga this is based off of.
Quit after the 11th or so episode. Writing becomes offensive problematic. Its is not how I would write an anime.

I'm honestly having a hard time deciding between Osomatsu-san and Kekkai Sensen as AOTY for me. I thoroughly enjoyed Kekkai Sensen for how dynamic and incredibly fun it was as well as the burger episode that was really sweet. However, episode 9 of Osomatsu-san blew me away on how it focused on dark themes and how incredibly sad but sweet it was.

This is way harder than it should be.

Cornbread78

Makes perfect sense that you'd like this.

Really reminded me of a Key story. I liked it myself, I was just disappointed that it didn't throw any curve balls.

But that's kind of like getting angry about either the boy or the griffin dying in Last Guardian

Lol, it's good, what can I say. I like emotional impact and good character developement.

No matter what I think of this show, nothing's changing Jojo Stardust Crusaders as my AOTY, just sayin'. :p

No problem with that, lol. YLIA was mine in a very close battle with SNAFU TOO. I really appreciated the emotional depth they put into the characters and the fact they kept it hard hitting and didn't dance around things. A couple parts could have been done better, but on the whole as an experience, it's just great.

I'm honestly having a hard time deciding between Osomatsu-san and Kekkai Sensen as AOTY for me. I thoroughly enjoyed Kekkai Sensen for how dynamic and incredibly fun it was as well as the burger episode that was really sweet. However, episode 9 of Osomatsu-san blew me away on how it focused on dark themes and how incredibly sad but sweet it was.

This is way harder than it should be.
Ep9 of osumatsu is better than all of BBB? How?

Have you watched Baka to Test? How do they compare if so?

They're very different shows with very different tones despite both being rom-coms. They're also both products of their time and the humor that comes from each. School Rumble is a pretty funny show but, and this is a silly thing to say but compared to Baka is true, is much more realistic. It's weird and silly and irreverent but it mostly keeps itself grounded and also uses that to create small moments of drama that build up over time. The humor and build up comes from the characters and focuses on their growth (well...not really) and interactions. I like it (in fact I like it quite a bit) but I find people have a tendency to over-rate it simply because there aren't a lot of great rom-coms with similar tones.

Baka on the other hand is situational and focused more on the comedy with a smattering here and there of romance. The characters are fine and funny but generally fall into their holes with little need for growth because the humor comes from a lack of any progress as well as the situations that come from the archetypes each character fills. Not to say that they aren't funny and the characters aren't cute or fun but they're all pretty much "fuwafuwa character" "sadist character" "pervert ninja" "the third gender" and not much changes ever. So the humor is very much based on what whacky hijinks they get up to that returns them right back to the status quo. Also the setting is your more modern setting which foregoes realism and injects in some LN bullshit about crazy stuff based on a Wikipedia article the creator read and didn't understand one day. Which is fun but your mileage may vary if you look for focus on things that aren't that. As I said before as well, while the "rom" is there, much like many romcoms of the modern day (and even a good chunk of the past to be frank) there isn't much progress because a lot of people think the chase is more exciting and interesting than the catch (spoilers: it rarely is). As a result the show is fun and entertaining but at a different level than School Rumble.

School Rumble is like eating a Lindt Truffle that you forgot about and is a little old but the milky smoothness inside is still delicious and Baka to Test is like cotton candy, just a big ball of sugary fluff.

If you wanna watch a good romcom that focuses more on just two characters and the interactions and relationship blooming between them with a tone of humor, progress and character growth then watch my Top 1 Romcom of all time, Lovely Complex.

Lol, it's good, what can I say. I like emotional impact and good character developement.

No problem with that, lol. YLIA was mine in a very close battle with SNAFU TOO. I really appreciated the emotional depth they put into the characters and the fact they kept it hard hitting and didn't dance around things. A couple parts could have been done better, but on the whole as an experience, it's just great.

Lol. So now you're the KEY guy around here. Hahaha.

I agree. I like emotional depth to my anime. Whether it's with KEY shows or something like Haibane Renmei, I just like good character development, someone overcoming some obstacle, and changing through the course of a show. Gives the character layers. And personally I like connecting with characters rather than keeping them at arms length.

duckroll

Oh, I kind of assumed Char was 18-ish in the original Gundam. My mistake.

Gundam the Origin II takes place like 8 years before the first Gundam series. They should really have just cast someone else for the part. No one would begrudge them for having 3 voice actors for Char over the years especially if it covers him from a kid until he becomes a man.

Jarmel

Banned
Gundam the Origin II takes place like 8 years before the first Gundam series. They should really have just cast someone else for the part. No one would begrudge them for having 3 voice actors for Char over the years especially if it covers him from a kid until he becomes a man.

I imagine some crazy voice actor fans might.

Shin Getter Robo VS Neo Getter Robo - 3

CXr5-fUUMAA7NBC.png:large
CXr6N1HUoAAK3jL.png:large

ryoma plz

SHIT YES YES YES YES YES YES THAT MOMENT WHEN THE OP STARTED PLAYING AND SHIN GETTER ROBO DID THE DOUBLE TOMAHAWK LANCER ATTACK SHIT YES THIS IS SO GOOD YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES.

YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Line_HTX

Concrete Revolutio 06

There we go. The actual 6th episode. Okay, now this one was a true stand alone. Though it feels like more and more that "journalist" is a front working fir the government.

Concrete Revolutio 08

Interesting way of showing the kid justice is not cut and dry.

ibyea

Banned
Concrete Revolutio - 1
The show jumping on two different points in time, I don't mind. So far it's easy enough to follow. Aesthetics wise, the background is on the more cartoony side, sort of reminds me of western animation actually. Although what is it with all the dots.

He's the SAO guy ;p

I forgive him for that. :p

He's one of my favorite posters here. Cornbread and I like a lot of the same shows. So just like you and NMan, when you guys recommend me stuff, I listen. And is always why I am willing to do watchbets with all of you. Because I know we all just try to recommend the stuff we like to each other.

Line_HTX

Concrete Revolutio 09

Wow, they can't ever be protected because they have no need whatsoever.

Though, I'm struggling to understand Jiro's beef. Is it because they cannot fulfill their purpose in what they were set up for? Someone help.

Steins;Gate 8

Wait... WHAT!? No they didn't. Their messing with
alternate timelines and divergents
too quickly. Okabe is being too careless. They're not slowing down to see what
butterfly effects
all these changes could be making. This is bad.

Line_HTX

Concrete Revolutio 10

This watch, and now you, are officially a circular logic. Now carry on with your multilayered lives.

LOL, this was awesome.

Steins;Gate 9

What a stupid episode. This one actually makes me angry. First, they don't confirm or address what happened in the previous episode. Then, after everything everyone confirms to each other,
Okabe just okays Ferris's request to just send any text she wants into the past without anyone seeing what it contains.

Sorry, but no. I don't care how much someone wants to wave the "but he's a mad scientist" card. This completely goes against how cautious Okabe actually is. This part of the scenario was extremely forced.

Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom