• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exalted

What is great and funny about Konosuba is that the the entire party is obnoxious, each in its own way. It's the best and the worst party at the same time.

Cornbread78

RIP Trojita.

Konosuba isn't worth it.

Wait, no that can't be!!!!

Trojiiiitaaaaaa, NOOOOOO!

What is great and funny about Konosuba is that the the entire party is obnoxious, each in its own way. It's the best and the worst party at the same time.

Exactly that and the fact that they are complete a$$holes to each other all the time, lol! It's just a dumb fun show to watch with some great comedic timing.

phaze

To be Hero 04
021261y4svt.jpg

Dying. Best spirit bomb ever.

Planetes 06
When watching Naruto goes very wrong.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hibike! Euphonium Season 2, Episode 4

A web of paranoid teen drama that could have been resolved so much quicker and smoother if the parties in question had actually communicated with each other? Yep, this is high school alright, I swear I am going to get PTSD from watching this series.

JulianImp

A web of paranoid teen drama that could have been resolved so much quicker and smoother if the parties in question had actually communicated with each other? Yep, this is high school alright, I swear I am going to get PTSD from watching this series.

Well, one trait I think the Japanese culture has (at least compared to Argentina) is that it tends to focus a whole lot on not exteriorizing things and putting them off instead, which gets reflected and stylized in anime where easily solveable misunderstandings are a dime a dozen.

Meanwhile, we don't even have clubs in most Argentine (public) schools, which is why it's really hard for me to relate with that kind of stuff outside of accepting it as something exotic that does happen somewhere else in the world.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
based nisio does it again with the medaka/bake/katana triple threat

Well if we're going there:
okitegami-kyoko-no-biboroku-the-memorandum-of-kyoko-okitegami.38787.jpg

I don't feel Medaka really counts. The dude isn't really a bag of bricks and Medaka herself is both fighter and strategist in one.

All of Mizore's associates are terrible people. Why in the world would anyone think sheltering her from Nozomi and keeping everyone in the dark was the way to handle this? Hey my friend is deeply troubled, let's just ignore the issue and let it stew. Maybe tell a web of lies to keep it that way. Asuka especially comes out of this looking horrible, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to believe that she intentionally kept Mizore traumatized to help the band (like that makes any real sense) or if she is just an idiot. I'm not impressed with the writing here.

Jex

Fafner is a consistently ugly show. That's why Right of Left comes as such a revelation, as the franchise moves from below average cinematography to above average cinematography despite having the same basic art design. Then Heaven and Earth totally revamps the visual approach and it's simply incredible, often breathtaking.

At least I can assure you that Fafner develops its own identity. As I alluded to before, the opening 10 or so episodes are mostly a big pit of nothingness but afterwards the series makes a sharp shift in storytelling and actuallh begins to flesh out its characters and themes in an appealing way. The quest for coexistence and understanding between humans and Festum that becomes a dominating theme of the story is something that I don't think has a parallel in Evangelion. It actually ends up reminding me more of classic science fiction such as Asimov and Clarke.

So all I can say at this point is to soldier on through the rough segment and you should start finding qualities you can appreciate.
I am committed to this project so I'm trying not to be phased by the issues that irk me right now. Still -

[Fafner: Dead Aggressor] -5

Yo, Shoko, I'm pretty sure Kazuki would have got there in 2 minutes if you'd just chilled. I don't really think the stakes of this sacrifice were adequately depicted.

Jex

When I say "in certain respects" what I really mean is "the relationship between Yukina and her mother."

So our starting point is traditional 70s-ish super robot anime. The hero is a teenaged boy who works alongside his scientist father, sometimes posthumously, to have these hotblooded robot adventures. They don't always see eye to eye on everything, and may have been distant for a period, but when push comes to shove they put their differences aside to fight the bad guys. Reluctance to fight on the part of the hero is rare and usually not a major focus.

Then there's Eva. The relationship between Gendo is Shinji is fundamentally broken and abusive. They've been distant for years, and that distance continues throughout. Shinji is (as expected of a realistic modern Japanese teenager) scared of death and violence and doesn't want to fight. Only through emotional manipulation (first the implied threat to Rei, and then dangling fatherly approval) does Gendo convince him to pilot. As the series goes on their relationship, and Shinji's mental health, deteriorates from clashing philosophies and combat stress.

Finally, Kuromukuro. It genderswaps these two archetypes, for one thing, which probably merits an essay of its own, but that might be beyond my capabilities. There's some workaholic stuff played for laughs, but compared with the previous scenarios Hiromi has been much more present in her childrens' lives. Yukina is initially as scared of combat as Shinji, but Hiromi never tries to force it on her, even telling her that she doesn't need to be a pilot anymore. Yukina is ultimately able to decide on her own that piloting is a responsibility that she needs to fulfill, rather than doing it for the approval of another. And finally, near the end there are several instances where Hiromi prioritizes her daughter's wellbeing over loyalty to the UN or its mission.

I cannot disagree with any aspect part of this analysis.

One thing which gives me pause when discussing Yukina as a female pilot is how little actual mecha piloting see actual does vs sitting in the back seat and occasionally pointing things out. She often feels more like a component required to start the mecha as opposed to a fully fledged pilot.

Taruranto

Erin #35

I must admit, while I was expecting sex at one point because it's a 50 episodes series that runs from childhood to adulthood, but I was betting solid money on Erin and Ial being the first to
smash
, instead it was
Lilam
, and with the first new "guy" in town.

Sound! Yukophonium S2 4:
Yuko's ascension to the best character in the cast continues with this episode and every scene she's in. Season 3 should be focused on Yuko and Natsuki as the main two characters.

The Nozomi/Mizore drama was resolved nicely in this episode. I could relate to Mizore a lot because I've gone through all of those exact thoughts of hers before, worrying that people are only around me because they feel bad for me, or that I'm not someone's real friend, so it felt like a really compelling episode for me. I liked the way that Yuko dragged her back out into the light, and the reconciliation between her and Nozomi was touching. This was probably one of the more high school drama-ish episodes of the show, but I thought it all worked out nicely, and now we have this bit of the story resolved so we can move on towards the contest.

Jex

[Fafner: Dead Aggressor] - 7

It's funny how 99% of the time the show looks like this:

But you get the occasional shot that looks like this:

Which I think makes the ugliness of the rest of the show worse because it just tells you that someone on the staff knows how to make the show look better but for whatever reason they can't make the rest of the show look good.

Anyway, what to say about this episode. Koyo, I think that's his name, tries to give various people a dog. Eventually he succeeds.

We also get a re-work of the famous Macross Plus paintball training sequence, except here its ugly and boring.

On the plus side, at the very least I think the show is doing a good job of setting up and defining a bunch of characters. It's just a shame that right now absolutely nothing is going on and the series has zero momentum.

Which I think makes the ugliness of the rest of the show worse because it just tells you that someone on the staff knows how to make the show look better but for whatever reason they can't make the rest of the show look good.

Anyway, what to say about this episode. Koyo, I think that's his name, tries to give various people a dog. Eventually he succeeds.

We also get a re-work of the famous Macross Plus paintball training sequence, except here its ugly and boring.

On the plus side, at the very least I think the show is doing a good job of setting up and defining a bunch of characters. It's just a shame that right now absolutely nothing is going on and the series has zero momentum.

I agree that Fafner starts off pretty weak, but it does get more interesting eventually

phaze

Eupho 04

Ehhh didn't think much of it unfortunately, earlier I said that the current drama felt suitably grounded and believable, well not so anymore, as this episode propelled Mizore into some laughable, obsessive drama queen territory that throws a year long fit over a non existent issue.

Hibike - 04

While this was heavy on the drama I'm of the opinion that it was actually fairly well written and believable one. The strong outbursts towards the end are pretty extreme but as far as everyone's motivations and resulting behavior goes it felt cohesive to me.

Indeed, overall this Nozomi drama had more interesting facets than I initially anticipated.

Jesus I'm literally watching absolutely nothing this season besides working and 3 lion.

I even dropped Natsume because I was getting bored with the stories told and maybe the show needs to be binged the whole way through as I don't particularly feel excited to be following him and fluffy cat.

Jesus I'm literally watching absolutely nothing this season besides working and 3 lion.

I even dropped Natsume because I was getting bored with the stories told and maybe the show needs to be binged the whole way through as I don't particularly feel excited to be following him and fluffy cat.

Not even TO BE HERO? Seems the right kind of show for you and it has ~10-11mins episodes.

phaze

You could just stop ignoring my posts* and watch Bungou Stray Dogs 13-16 for the best mafia anime of 2016.

+ what NDMGG said.

I've tried watching To Be Hero but it isn't doing it for me. It's not compelling enough without the ridiculousness of the premise for my interest to remain.

And I'd watch Stray Dogs if you tell me if Dan Brown is a recurring character. Maybe I'll give it a try.

For some reason, although I have 6 shows as per usual every season, it feels like I'm only half watching them. White man TV has been delivering though. That Luke Cage is fire. Still need to watch Westworld.

Euphonium S2 - 04

Teenage girl drama is so... dramatic.

phaze

I've tried watching To Be Hero but it isn't doing it for me. It's not compelling enough without the ridiculousness of the premise for my interest to remain.

And I'd watch Stray Dogs if you tell me if Dan Brown is a recurring character. Maybe I'll give it a try.

13-16 are a flashback arc, you don't really need to watch anything else to enjoy it.

And Dan Brown is coming sooner or later, maybe even the former cause one of the main points this season is probably the assault of American authors on Nipponland.

You are not a Haikyu fan? Yuri on Ice?

Did you like Barakamon? You could try Poco's udon world.

But it's a shame your not liking this season. I am the complete opposite and I have something to watch everyday.

Time to post some images from Right of Left to give you the strength to keep going:

I think the first Fafner writer had some interesting ideas to work with, but he doesn't seem to know what to do with them. Just a few more episodes though, and the series will gain a noticeable improvement in storytelling. Looking back at my impressions, it looks like episode 10 was the first episode where I went "Huh, this is actually kind of good."

You are not a Haikyu fan? Yuri on Ice?

Did you like Barakamon? You could try Poco's udon world.

But it's a shame your not liking this season. I am the complete opposite and I have something to watch everyday.

don't care for pretty boys ice skating. And with sports shows I'm fairly iffy, if I'm not interested in the sport itself I'll eventually lose interest.

Like I've said I'll probably watch Anime Watchmen, it's just sad this is the first time this has happened in a while. Not even a 'so bad it's good' show I watch regularly yet.

I'll catch up with West World and go back to anime I guess.

Exalted

As it was said, you don't need to watch S1 Bungo Stray dogs to be able to enjoy the first 4 episodes of S2, it's a completely separated story arc, fells more like a 4 episode mafia movie.

If it's so standalone I won't be confused by not recognizing characters and it's only 4 episodes I have nothing to lose I guess.

It's just weird to jump into a show for a single arc lol.

According to some people on twitter, the tv version of Yuri on Ice is quite different from the version crunchyroll got. People aren't sure which is the completed version tho...

TV version
Cvt9KhnWcAEHcF2.jpg

Crunchyroll version.
Cvt9LOHW8AAUxg7.jpg

The new episode looks quite unfinished in a few areas on Crunchyroll.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 4:

Right then, we are starting to fill out into traditional sports formula here as they are not only building up the Yuri rivalry but it looks like Yuri will have be dealing with what basically amounts to a preliminary tournament arc as well. Also, Yuri hasn't quite yet figured out that Victor is quite smitten with him and has not been subtle about it.

Jex

Time to post some images from Right of Left to give you the strength to keep going:

I think the first Fafner writer had some interesting ideas to work with, but he doesn't seem to know what to do with them. Just a few more episodes though, and the series will gain a noticeable improvement in storytelling. Looking back at my impressions, it looks like episode 10 was the first episode where I went "Huh, this is actually kind of good."

Well it looks like we're already getting there!

[Fafner: Dead Aggressors] - 9

It's pretty interesting to watch a series visibly morph and change its style in front of my eyes. There were numerous scenes this episode where the character designs looked noticeably better and the to cap it off the shot composition has improved to point where some scenes even looked good! You might mistake it for a decent looking show, if you squint.

Taruranto

Holy fuck that hotspring scene in Yuri on Ice. Now I understand why Suwabe was joking about the show "barely passing the censoreship law".

At least the general populace seems to be aware it's not proper behavior lol.

phaze

Damn this does looks good. But my hate for those yellow things and the first 5 episodes in general is probably enough to let me still ignore it.

Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 4:

Right then, we are starting to fill out into traditional sports formula here as they are not only building up the Yuri rivalry but it looks like Yuri will have be dealing with what basically amounts to a preliminary tournament arc as well. Also, Yuri hasn't quite yet figured out that Victor is quite smitten with him and has not been subtle about it.

I'll eat my hat if Victor, or any character in Yuri on Ice, is meaningfully homosexual. I'm pretty sure it is all teasing for a (mostly) female target demographic. Like Free.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I'll eat my hat if Victor, or any character in Yuri on Ice, is meaningfully homosexual. I'm pretty sure it is all teasing for a (mostly) female target demographic. Like Free.

Then this show crossed a line, pure and simple. This show has gone beyond the point where it is just fujoshi bait.

Flip Flappers 3

Other people have talked about some of the sexually charged imagery in this episode. I just wanted to single out this image, in which I find it rather amusing that the guy gets to have his back and legs totally covered while the two girls have outfits that show off copious amounts of skin in both areas. And of course, the villain of the episode was essentially naked, as were Cocona and Papika during their transformation sequences.

Anyway, my overall feelings about the show are still the same. The creative and colorful visuals are A+ - I love how each episode presents such a distinct fantasy world - while the overarching plot elements continue to be the weakest link. I hope those elements can stay minimally present in each episode until they have to deal with them for the finale.

Jarmel

Banned
I liked the early part of the episode more than the second half as it reminded me of something out of Nier or Legend of Zelda.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Well it looks like we're already getting there!

[Fafner: Dead Aggressors] - 9

It's pretty interesting to watch a series visibly morph and change its style in front of my eyes. There were numerous scenes this episode where the character designs looked noticeably better and the to cap it off the shot composition has improved to point where some scenes even looked good! You might mistake it for a decent looking show, if you squint.

I've never heard of this show, but I always love stuff that starts off as trash and slowly gets a footing and become decent in some regards.

Taruranto

You make it sound like characters can only be gay if they specifically mention that on screen. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom