• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like CR will stream the movie version of Chain Chronicles starting tomorrow.

I'm pretty excited for this, it looks really cool.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...chain-chronicle-the-light-of-haecceitas-anime
d3d700160a2cc32ffed5947a35f240701481820794_full.jpg

Awesome CR and Funi.

Line_HTX

Oh, I just noticed Attack on Trains got a season for 2018.

More of that KOF XIV announcer / train engineer please.

And TUSR is Mumei. ;P

Jex

[Flip Flappers] -11

This is actually some of the worst trash I've seen in an anime in a long time. This entire series has completely fallen apart.

The original series of 'FlipFlappers' ended around episode 8 or so. It's painfully obvious that the last few episodes share a completely different creative vision, and plot and even characters from everything that's come before. I've written extensively about shows being obviously re-written in the past, but signs in FlipFlappers are even more obvious than usual.

- The art direction of the show is completely trash now, all the good background art is gone, and everything else looks completely boring

- The tone of the series has abruptly changed from being a whimsical series into a dark, bloody series filled with murder, suffering and torment

- The mysterious, shadowy organisation that serves as antagonists are not only never properly explained, but they're literally written out of the series and replaced by a brand new antagonist who appears out of thin air .

- Every character in the cast suddenly receives a new backstory in a completely improbable manner which clashes strongly with all the logic the show has developed so far

- A bunch of incredibly dense and lengthy flashbacks suddenly appear to re-write the entire plot of the series. These flashbacks appear to feature literally a series worth of story squished into about 5 minutes

- We're supposed to care about a bunch of characters and events that happen in said flashbacks, even though we've spent zero time with these characters and everything is extremely rushed

- Nothing makes any sense

- What the hell is this character design, seriously:

- This show is trash

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Looks like Girlish Number is the anime of the season.

ALL OUT!! Episode 11 – You Have No Feel For the Game

Okay anime male characters playing tag or other playground games is always the best and cutest thing, love them on the jungle gym set and all this whole episode.

phaze

changed from being a whimsical series into a dark, bloody series filled with murder and death.

wow picked up.

Kinda curious at how I 'd react to the mode shift of this series as I thought the episodic content was a turd on its own and since I'm usually the continuous narrative guy. On the other hand if the rewriting is as apparent as your post makes it seem I doubt I'd fare well.

Man this is a sad season for me; Euph S2, Yuri and Flip Flap are the biggest disappointments. Euph fell apart and is driving me insane, Yuri feels like I've been watching the same video on loop for the 8th episode in a row and Flip Flap is just a mess outside parts of episode 1, episode 3, episode 6 (this is the Alzheimer's episode right?) and the mecha scenes. Great Passage hit a few bumps here and there, but the quality has stayed great and Girlish Number has become better as time parsed.

BluWacky

For some reason people like to imagine that shows such as this or Galilei Donna would have been much better if only they had been twice as long.

I had totally forgotten about Galilei Donna. What a waste of an interesting premise that was - while I know it's a waste of time lamenting what might have been instead of what was, shows like that and Fractale could have had the potential to be pretty exciting if they hadn't shoved in the worst anime cliches imaginable.

Okay good it's not just me. I was seriously thinking Flip Flappers suddenly changed gears and story at a breakneck pace without really explaining anything

This is even more baffling because Yayaka's evil organization ended up being ABSOLUTELY NOTHING so why did they even bother setting that up when Mimi was the last boss...

I still don't know what the purpose of anyone but Salt is on the good guy team either. Ditch that stupid robot and everyone but the main trio and you'd have something interesting

I had totally forgotten about Galilei Donna. What a waste of an interesting premise that was - while I know it's a waste of time lamenting what might have been instead of what was, shows like that and Fractale could have had the potential to be pretty exciting if they hadn't shoved in the worst anime cliches imaginable.

Man, Fractale was so bad. It had an interesting setup, but then like every five minutes it was suddenly shifting into random "comedy" for no reason, and the character writing was just all over the place.

Quasar

Euphonium 2.11 - Well I bet all the yuri shippers on tumblr/twitter are yelling a whole lot right about now. I can feel the hate flowing.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Euphonium 2.11 - Well I bet all the yuri shippers on tumblr/twitter are yelling a whole lot right about now. I can feel the hate flowing.

Most of them have long since bailed from this series, probably as far back as last season as Reina's lust for Taki was on display there.

Flip Flappers Episode 11

It's almost impressive how quickly this show jettisoned literally everything good about it after episode 8, and doubled down on all the worst aspects. Want an story that explores interesting dynamic worlds with some trippy animation? Well we don't have any of that, but here is some plain boring flashbacks in a boring world with characters who only exist to answer questions no one cared about! Oh, and it's super dour and empty. Oh, and here's some more creepy fanservice to go with it.

Also fuck the dumb robot and green rabbit.

JulianImp

Flap Flipping - #11
Suddenly, plot.

So the cultists and their search for amorphous (which was almost done) got forcibly put on a bus by Mimi, and the final episode will probably be all about Papika reaching out to Cocona to bring her back from her misguided and overprotective mother's attempts to keep her daughter to herself... What?

I know I said I didn't like the cultists, but having them hijacked by reality-warper Mimi out of nowhere only made things even worse for me. What I liked about the show were the otherworldly, crazy and vibrant places the girls would visit in Pure Illusion in the first couple episodes, but he show has been shifting more and more towards focusing on really dumb and superfluous plot. First we had the McGuffin hunt for the amourphous and the rival organization hijacking Cocona and Papika's bonding and the random adventures they had, and now the show has even gone as far as to discard that plot thread as well, culminating in this mess of flashbacks that nobody even asked for and in presenting a climax that was neither foreshadowed nor explained well enough to make me give a damn about what's going on with Salt, Papika, Mimi and Cocona.

It's almost like the writers watched Kyousougiga a couple weeks ago and decided to rewrite the last couple episodes to try and make the show look alike or something, but in Flip Flapper's case the whole family bonds plot showed up out of nowhere one episode before the finale.

Also, who the heck is Nyanya? I must say, this show has been stellar at invoking the Giant Space Flea From Nowhere trope, which is a damn shame since Flip Flappers did look like it held some promise unlike stuff that was obviously bad from day one like Magical Girl Raising Project.

Also fuck the dumb robot and green rabbit.

I've got your back regarding Bu, but don't you dare diss Deathskullrabbitwhatever!

Havent had exams in years, forgot how it felt.
It feelsrealbadman. Still have another full time and two part time semesters to finish after my work term is over, sigh.
Aren't you a lucky guy, I wish I could say that!
Congrats bro! Already started drinking beers for the night; pregame with broker before the company party..
Oh boy I honestly just went into the exam with the mindset that me and the bros were going to hit the sports bar right after, eat some incredible greasy food and down some beer.

Looks like Girlish Number is the anime of the season.
I am of the same opinion as you and the others who said the same. The Great Passage is also really great, has great animation but I feel the subject matter detracts a bit of the excitement I could have for it. The main point of the show is to be grounded, and that's fine, but the drama in Girlish Number feels a lot more human and relatable to me (I'm not a VA, I'm talking about work ethic, family issues, etc). It helps that the show has colourful visuals and some great comedy every now and then. The quality in the show stepped up every week, as other shows either went nowhere or downgraded further and further. RIP Eupho for example.

Haikyuu was spectacular, but I'm not so sure I can give it the AOTS title just yet without seeing where Girlish Number goes from here. It is hinting at some really cool potential themes and developments, so I wanna watch it until the end, and then decide between the two. Oh WWWWorking is also fun. Not AOTS quality (for those who thought I was actually being serious last week), but entertaining.

Szadek

Flip Flappers has 2 more episodes, not 1 and at least they are going back to pure illusion. There is still some hope for the last epsiodes if the show focuses more on crazyness and less on plot.

Jex

Okay good it's not just me. I was seriously thinking Flip Flappers suddenly changed gears and story at a breakneck pace without really explaining anything

This is even more baffling because Yayaka's evil organization ended up being ABSOLUTELY NOTHING so why did they even bother setting that up when Mimi was the last boss...

I still don't know what the purpose of anyone but Salt is on the good guy team either. Ditch that stupid robot and everyone but the main trio and you'd have something interesting

There was no purpose. The original writer left the series around episode 8 or something and the remaining staff clearly had to invent the rest of the series out of thin air.

Sterok

I always knew Raising Project would be the best magical girl show of the season. It's honest about going grimpderp, has some characters I don't hate, actually has less fanservice than some of the stupid costumes imply, and overall knows what it wants to be.

There was no purpose. The original writer left the series around episode 8 or something and the remaining staff clearly had to invent the rest of the series out of thin air.

This isn't to defend Flip Flappers as a masterpiece or anything, but there was some foreshadowing for the eventual plot twists; it's not totally out of nowhere. (Which is perhaps why I was able to be apprehensive about the show based on the ending of the first episode.)

Dangan Ronpa 3 Side:Despair 4

Nagito is both a terrorist and the ultimate bullshit. You could almost call the half of the events in this episode contrived.

Dangan Ronpa 3 Side:Future 5

This and the previous episode have proven Ruruka is kind of a terrible person and will likely make it to the end cause Dangan Ronpa is a series where all the likeable characters die and the assholes stick around to fight another day.

Regarding Tengan
He's evidently the traitor if his last conversation with Kyosuke is any indication. On the other hand, it's a tad odd that they would potentially reveal that twist so early on so I'm inclined to think it's a bait and switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom