• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't finish the original Gravity Rush.

I feel like the people behind that game made the gravity mechanic, but they didn't build anything interesting gameplay wise around the mechanic.

I didn't finish the original Gravity Rush.

I feel like the people behind that game made the gravity mechanic, but they didn't build anything interesting gameplay wise around the mechanic.
I thought it was the most boring piece of shit I've played in a long time, I fell for gaf hype and I'm now curious how much of the praise was for waifu talk.

Before no man's sky it was my most regretted buy.

Moaradin

Gravity Rush was a neat concept. What keeps it afloat is the charming characters, interesting world, and great soundtrack.

I'm really excited for GR2 though. Taking those things that were good about the first game and expanding them in a meaningful way could make a fantastic game.

Tuck

Your Name
I got to watch this on a flight home today - thankfully the plane had decent screens, so the visual quality wasn't really impacted.

It was phenomenal. Kept me fully engaged the full way through. The start was a little bumpy in how they introduced the two characters switching lives, but I get the feeling it would make more sense on a rewatch.

Re the plot:
The timelines being 3 years out of sync was a great twist - really made for an interesting second half, and caught me completely off guard.
Unfortunately, there is a pretty big plot hole here, I think -
it doesn't really make sense that neither character realized the time difference. All they had to do was look at a calendar. Hell, look at their phones. Read a news article. Anything!
A pretty glaring and unfortunate flaw in the premise. I just worked on the assumption that by some crazy odds, neither of them noticed.

I was afraid they were gonna
go for a 24cm per second esque ending and have the characters never meet up again, glad that wasn't the case though. Felt bad seeing them forget each other. Which happens to be my second issue with the film - it felt sort of arbitrary that they only started forgetting each other in the second half,though maybe you can just write that off as a changing influence of the comet.

So yeah, I really loved this film. It was beautiful, and the story was really engaging with some solid twists.

I did not like 24cm per second, but loved Garden of Words, and this. Hope the director can keep things up.

Gravity Rush (along with P4G and to a lesser extent Danganronpa) feels like the game people wanted to push to prove the Vita had actual games, but they should've pushed Muramasa Rebirth instead

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Gravity Rush: The Animation - Overture | Parts A & B
First part seemed okay. Gravity Rush kind of has this thing where Kat has really good character design and VA work and the effort on other characters that show up just kind of plummets off a cliff. This is rather annoying when Raven is featured prominently but they don't want to put in very much work or spend very much on VA.

The second more serious half was kind of just unbearable and lame. For all the stuff you could do with GR it sure doesn't seem like this anime took very much advantage of the setting or ideas unique to the series. Didn't seem like they were able to really leverage the iconic music from the first game either. At least Studio Khara got to animate an Inazuma Double Kick I guess.

duckroll

Gravity Rush (along with P4G and to a lesser extent Danganronpa) feels like the game people wanted to push to prove the Vita had actual games, but they should've pushed Muramasa Rebirth instead

"Vita absolutely has real games! Look at this enhanced port of a Wii title which no one bought the first time!"

Gravity Rush was a neat concept. What keeps it afloat is the charming characters, interesting world, and great soundtrack.

I'm really excited for GR2 though. Taking those things that were good about the first game and expanding them in a meaningful way could make a fantastic game.

Yeah. I can understand people who didn't like Gravity Rush because it wasn't a particularly deep game, but I was captivated by its aesthetics and setting. I'm really looking forward to the sequel.

How does the Gravity Daze anime compare with Cassette Girl?

It's got a similar approach of imitating 2D anime in CG, though not quite as impressive. I think the storyboarding and direction is just average, but there's some really great backgrounds and effects and it's reasonably charming overall.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Girlish Number 12

Kind of a lukewarm finale, if I'm using Shirobako as the standard. I like that everything was more or less resolved (except Gojo's love affair with Momoka's agent and Koto). I hope we get more of this eventually.

Still one of my top anime of the year.

Cornbread78

I liked GR on my Vita, but the gyro aiming often pissed me off (Kat would fly waaaay off target) and made some of those gold trials impossible.

kewlmyc

Gravity Rush was a good game held back by the messy Vita controls (dodge via swiping the screen was stupid).

Apparently the PS4 version is better in every way.

6 hours into The Last Guardian

What makes or breaks The Last Guardian for many people may be how tolerant they are of general gameplay vagueness. TLG is a game that doesn't want to stop to explain things, yet paradoxically reminds me how to perform basic movement options every once and a while. I'm never really sure if I'm pointing Trico at the ledge he can clearly go up on or just vaguely in a general direction of it.

duckroll

Flip Flappers - Episode 6

I thought I already watched this but I guess not. I thought the episode was almost over but there's 7 minutes left. I'm already falling asleep. Wtf is this. :/

Edit: Oh it was the Tachikawa episode. Explains why it felt like a rejected Death Parade episode. Roflmao.

Mailbox

Okay decided to finish up stuff I was actually watching this season (admittedly very little, so my backlog increases) and watched a bad anime because that's what I do.

www.working!! [END]

Last episode was good. Whole series definitely has a bit of a rushed pacing especially when compared to the regular seasons and servant x service. But I really did enjoy it, and the ending was pretty much complete. As much as I'd love another season, this felt good as an ending. I liked it a good deal, though maybe not as much as Working!!.

Recommended, but probably only if you've watched the other series too.

Kiss Him Not Me [END]

Yeah... I feel about the same with this as I did the manga tbh. Interesting premise wrapped up in pretty mundane execution of a reverse harem. It gets... kinda boring tbh. Honestly this show shines when the MC goes full out fujoshi (doubly so when its with other characters) but outside of that its pretty stock standard. Also, it may just be me, but the voice of the main character sounded... weird. Like she had some odd reverb or softness or was in another room or something. Maybe its just the VA or something, who knows.

It doesn't do enough for me to recommend it, but it won't bite or hurt you.

Dragon Crisis! [END]
7ylW0S.png

This appears during all interstitials. Unimaginable horror
I pretty much just watched this 'cause I thought it would be crap, and really felt like I needed a crap anime to watch. I was right. You know you're dealing with a bad Deen show when odd and lazy animation choices are being made (stick figures, really?!).

Story and characters ended up being nothing special, its definitely not the worst thing I've ever seen. Its just that this idea and type of show has been done to death and has been done significantly better by many different shows. I'd even say its worse than something like Hidan no Aria (which I personally didn't mind, but I know people didn't like it).

Also, unless I missed something (which I don't think I did) the show never adequately explains any of its major plot elements (seriously they talk about "Lost Precious" a lot but all I could gather was that they are special muguffins which have people's souls in them or something and they are magic... idk) Nothing really makes sense in this show due to lack of explanation.

I really wouldn't recommend this one tbh. Its very much a poor man's shakugan no shana on pretty much every front, so you'd be better off watching something like that instead.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
3-gatsu no Lion 11
This is like three good episodes in a row now. Maybe this whole thing will turn out pretty well. That'd be nice. Really strong use of exaggerated and almost goofy sound effects for things like people shuffling across the floor. The serenity Ren finds really comes through and it does feel like we get to know more about the Kawamoto family just by being around them, not through forced situations or exposition. I'm glad the show can have warm episodes like this after the tension of the last episode, and the pacing has found a point where it doesn't feel like the tonal whiplash people criticized earlier on.

MSMrRound

Your Name
I got to watch this on a flight home today

It was phenomenal. Kept me fully engaged the full way through.

Re the plot:

- it felt sort of arbitrary that they only started forgetting each other in the second half,though maybe you can just write that off as a changing influence of the comet.

Your Name spoilers

Regarding this point...
some people also have the theory that to cross over to "the other side" where the shrine was, they had to leave something important to them behind to safely get back to the living world. In Mitsuha and Taki's case, it's their name/memories of one another.
Agree on the
date
thing though, but it's still a very beautiful movie to watch.

Still waiting for the blu-ray to be released.

DiGiKerot

So according to myanimelist Your Name is supposedly the best anime of all time with a score of 9.37 0_0 Is it really that good, i've only seen the trailers for it, but they didn't really stand out that much to me?

It's not even the best anime movie of the year (I'd rather watch A Silent Voice of either part of Kizumonogatari, for starters), but it's good and it's got an extremely broad appeal, and I say that as someone who doesn't really get along with a lot of Shinkai's earlier work.

jonno394

For anyone that's interested, Daisuki.net will be streaming Fate/Grand Order - First Order and Blue Exorcist Kyoto Saga in the new season.

Glad they got the latter as was worried people in the UK would miss out, like we did with the original Blue Exorcist.

duckroll

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture...ans-new-miyazaki-makoto-shinkai/#.WGJimlN96Ht

“It’s not healthy,” the boyish director says. “I don’t think any more people should see it.”
And now there’s talk of Oscars. “I really hope it doesn’t win,” he adds.
“Of course I’m happy when people mention his name and mine in the same breath. It’s like a dream. But I know they are overpraising ‘Your Name.’ because I am absolutely not at Miyazaki’s level.

“Honestly, I really don’t want Miyazaki to see it because he will see all its flaws.”
“For me it’s incomplete, unbalanced. The plot is fine but the film is not at all perfect. Two years was not enough.”

Right from the horse's mouth. Your Name is not that great!

phaze

And he's even humble. Truly an improvement over Miyazaki we deserve.

wanted to keep working on it but with money running out he had to stop.

Bbbbut budgets don't matter.

When I see him I see a monk in a monastery, and I say to myself that is perhaps how the people at Studio Ghibli work.
lol
Jojo DIU 21

There was an amazing thing about this episode: there was a dog, in the immediate vicinity of Kira and for a prolonged period of time at that, one that even set up all of Kira's troubles here and yet, it survived. Unscathed, unharmed, alive and well. What is this sorcery. I take it back about Araki regressing as a writer.

I was in NYC for Christmas and managed to catch a showing of the 4K restoration of Belladonna of Sadness. I...might need to do a longer post or thread examining it and unpacking my thoughts about it.

It's a 1973 animated film by Osamu Tezuka's MushiPro that along with the X-rated Cleopatra pretty much bankrupted the studio. Tezuka and Eiichi Yamamato worked on and planned a trilogy of movies aimed at a more adult audience which included 1001 Nights, Cleopatra and Belladonna of Sadness. Tezuka wrote and directed the first two with Yamamoto but left the studio before the third leaving Yamamoto to handle it himself.

It is...calling it weird is a bit of an understatement. It is very obviously inspired by the West's HEAVY METAL magazine style and the psychedelic drug trips and imagery of the times, a la a Yellow Submarine or such. Just, you know...entirely about sex. Like holy shit this movie drips with sex. Some violent, some sensual, some a giant penis-headed Satan.

Sometimes it's hard to call it animation as 70-80% of the film is still captures of pictures (gorgeous pictures but still). As a result there are some really interesting techniques to pick out if you look.

Never really seen anything like it. Love the 70s Lady Snowblood singing intro explaining the movie.

Girlish Number 12

Kind of a lukewarm finale, if I'm using Shirobako as the standard. I like that everything was more or less resolved (except Gojo's love affair with Momoka's agent and Koto). I hope we get more of this eventually.

Wait, wait, wait, wait, what? Did I miss this? I got the idea that they were close friends or colleagues in the same field, but never that they were going out?

blurr

I played Gravity Rush on Vita but it's something I felt would've suited a controller more. I did enjoy it overall, I loved casually leaping off cliffs/buildings, it's a delight once you get a grip of its floating mechanics.

Kenstar

Girlish Number 12

I dont remember this

The latest Sakugablog article is a good collection of information driving home just how chaotic TV anime production has gotten. The shift to movies/OVAs we're beginning to see can't come soon enough to save these poor animators' lives.

Yuri on Ice's last episode had 49 (credited) key animators? Sounds like a nightmare to coordinate all that. Producers am cry.

Also, KyoAni sure stands out like a sparkling star looking at those statistics.

Yuri on Ice's last episode had 49 (credited) key animators? Sounds like a nightmare to coordinate all that. Producers am cry.

Also, KyoAni sure stands out like a sparkling star looking at those statistics.

KyoAni is the only animation studio that operates without relying on freelance animators, even having their own wholly owned subsidiary studios in Osaka (Animation Do) and Korea (Studio Blue). Thus they can have a much smoother production pipeline than when production assistants are trying to juggle a hundred studios and freelancers. Combined with a comparatively small output, this allows KyoAni to sidestep all the problems with modern anime production.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It was a joke guys.

But no seriously they banged, and you won't convince me otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom