• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
HEYBOT! is so low its not even on this list. That's how you know MAL sucks.

MAL scores are rancid with fanboys that will spam 10s on Gintama, FMA, Haikyuu and now Your Name for dick waving competitions
Heybot is filtered because MAL naturally culls shows for children from its seasonal list unless you check a box.

Whats admirable is that its a show made for no one. Sure its for kids but kids are not going to get jokes about the golden ratio or the Final Fight continue screen.

Hell they found the one guy in Japan who knows what Zardoz is. People here don't know what Zardoz is.

Pretty sure it's a show made for the people making it.

Jex

Yeah Izzeta is really low :( ,and can't believe Drifters is so high. If you look for the scores for the entire fall season, you get some strange results:

How many people here would actually agree with this ranking?
According to this that show that Narag watched (Bernard) is one of the worst ever , lol.
One thing I don't really understand is MAL's continued love for the Natsume franchise. I mean, I thought the first couple of seasons were fine, but it's all gotten a little samey.

One thing I don't really understand is MAL's continued love for the Natsume franchise. I mean, I thought the first couple of seasons were fine, but it's all gotten a little samey.

That's probably the reason: Natsume continues to deliver exactly what its fans expect from it season after season.

Qurupeke

Gravity Rush Overture
M4Bu9tW.jpg
Moral of the story: Never mess with Kat when food is involved.

John Blade

How to make million of dollars in profit
1) Open a all girl high school
2) Train all the girls in military combat
3) Send a select few of the girls in the school to become solider for a military organization special force.
4)???
5) Profit?

You call that a plan? Either way, it was found out and take down by duo partner Lu Amano & Yao Sakurakouji. Suck they didn't know who is the real ring leader of it which is funny as she was about to get caught on this whole deal.

Just something I notice but didn't say much. They're quite a bit of film reference in this show as of now. Kinda fun to notice the joke or pun if you catch them. Also, for some reason, this episode animation (mostly in the character design) drop quite a bit to the point it feel like I am watching a very cheap hentai show in some scene. Not saying much as the animation work feel simple and cheap as of what I have watch as of now.

Qurupeke

Occultic;Nine [END]

The ending was pretty nice. Overall, I can't really say I liked the series though. It was a creative series, with some cool ideas and characters that weren't used on their full potential. A lot of the characters seem really underdeveloped, not to mention that I was never a fan of their really odd personalities. The frenetic pacing was really the worst aspect of the show, even the final episode seemed to basically be summarized as "Let's go there, do that and beat the bad guys". And while I liked the open nature of the ending, it seems like they didn't explain quite a lot of mysteries.

Quasar

That's true, it is consistent, but it scores really highly compared to other works. It must have some wider appeal that I fail to understand.

Its hard for me to put my finger on why I like it so much. That said I'm not sure its widely liked, just that the people who watch it, esp now being 5 seasons in and a long break between 4 and 5 really like it.

And the whole consistently providing more Natsume quality Natsume has made me have trouble rating Go in terms of AOTY. It being episodic for the most part also impacts that.

Cornbread78

3-gatsu ep.11
Well done episode from start to finish imo. The plot was heartfelt and down to earth and really explored Rei's feelings towards everything around him.

John Blade

This entire episode is an Initial D parody. You notice this from the 3D look during the race scene to even the main bad guy character in this episode have his name started with Takumi. I guess if you're not a fan of Initial D , you might miss the big joke here. Also, a small reference of 007 from the audio cue and the fight scene with the car battle. Also, a reference of Speed Racer at the end.Man...so many reference in this episode if you keep an eye on it.

Just learned of the Little Witch Academia Netflix series. Don't know much about the series but was told it's "Harry Potter-esque" so I'm intrigued. Is it releasing soon and what is the expectation of quality?

Speaking about that:

Digimon Appli Monsters #11-12

This was fantastic. Finally visiting this shows version of the Digimon World (the Net Ocean... which is literally an ocean made up of (underwater) islands) was really cool. I'm not sure if it was Tamers or Digimon Adventure 2, but I think it feels kind of similiar to an episode in one of those.
Very fun adventure with some nice comedy and character interactions. Then Sakusimon appears and our team gets their ass handed again. And then Rei appears and things get fucking dark with his backstory, like damn. Really made me empathize and like him a lot.
Haru and gang coming to his aid later was a really good 'turning point' moment, and the ensuing fight against Sakusimon was just amazing.

If it continues like this I can easily see it getting up there with Tamers as one of my favorite Digimon seasons.

Just goes to show how much of a joke MAL ratings are.

Yeah, the look of the Net Ocean was very reminiscent of something seen in Tamers during the Digital World episodes.

Rei's backstory really took me by surprise. I expected him to have some tragedy in there, but not something quite so dark (and the loss of his brother being his own fault, too).

It definitely does feel like this could be up there as one of the best. Through 13 episodes, I'd put it maybe a bit behind Tamers, but ahead of everything else where they were after the same amount of episodes.

Quasar

Just learned of the Little Witch Academia Netflix series. Don't know much about the series but was told it's "Harry Potter-esque" so I'm intrigued. Is it releasing soon and what is the expectation of quality?

Well its a winter show, but knowing netflix they will hold it back till they have a dub.

Shergal

From your post I get the impression you haven't seen the two short films that already exist of it. Those should give you a good primer, but of course TV series quality will probably be lower

duckroll

From your post I get the impression you haven't seen the two short films that already exist of it. Those should give you a good primer, but of course TV series quality will probably be lower

It could go either way. I mean objectively, the quality of background art will be worse. But I wonder if the story could benefit from being reimagined as a longer series rather than just shorts.

turmoil

Banned
Space Brothers 6-13

At this stage I wonder if it will be a 99 episode long reality show work interview
not that it matters to me, I'm pretty much liking it lol

I love when some of mu-chan asspulls go wrong

Nichijou (All)

nichijou_animated_gif5wsyk.gif

Code Geass 6-9

This show has a bad case of 'getting all of the important characters together for maximum story convenience' disease.

The Emperor is hilarious. It's Norio Wakamoto yelling about how everyone else sucks.

Suzaku is a damn stooge.

Shergal

It could go either way. I mean objectively, the quality of background art will be worse. But I wonder if the story could benefit from being reimagined as a longer series rather than just shorts.

Oh yeah in terms of story and overall entertainment I don't think the transition is worrying. A world like LWA with all its characters could really benefit from a wider focus and having 25 episodes helps too.

I was talking more in terms of animation and overall production, tho of course it can still easily have big highlights on par with the original. The thing I'm wondering about is how consistent they'll manage to be. I also feel like these character designs might not work as seamlessly if an episode has less movement, at least compared to say Doremi or whatever; they feel tailored for Yoshinari's approach to animation.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 087

This new OP is shipping Reinhard and Kircheis sooooooooo hard. The ED is telling me Julian and Scheinkopf's daughter become an item too.

Mittermeyer's torturer in the flashback was a bit to comedic evil for my tastes. The dude is like, 7 feet tall and ends up shocking himself with his own whip. You'd think that a series so invested in the morality of politics and tyranny would be a bit more interested in torture as a tool but I guess not.

Can't tell if Mittermeyer or Reuntal is doomed to die.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Space Brothers 6-13

At this stage I wonder if it will be a 99 episode long reality show work interview
not that it matters to me, I'm pretty much liking it lol

I love when some of mu-chan asspulls go wrong

Nichijou (All)

https://abload.de/img/nichijou_animated_gif5wsyk.gif

I'm still surprised that they didn't do more Space Brothers. I wonder if it just bombed for them or something, considering they kept building up to the "big event" but didn't even bother showing it in the anime.

duckroll

Oh yeah in terms of story and overall entertainment I don't think the transition is worrying. A world like LWA with all its characters could really benefit from a wider focus and having 25 episodes helps too.

I was talking more in terms of animation and overall production, tho of course it can still easily have big highlights on par with the original. The thing I'm wondering about is how consistent they'll manage to be. I also feel like these character designs might not work as seamlessly if an episode has less movement, at least compared to say Doremi or whatever; they feel tailored for Yoshinari's approach to animation.

Yeah I don't expect it to be as "consistent" as the shorts in terms of having 20 or 40 minutes straight of higher quality production values, but at the same time, given that it is a 2-cours series, I don't think it's out of the question that overall the series will have more great animation in total compared to the two shorts we already have!

I'm... just trying to be positive here lol.

dimb

When they got extra time to work with from Kickstarter they seemed pretty lost. Hard to imagine the series really building to anything and nothing they've shown so far really seems new enough to justify the transition to an extended format.

I'm still surprised that they didn't do more Space Brothers. I wonder if it just bombed for them or something, considering they kept building up to the "big event" but didn't even bother showing it in the anime.

I keep hoping that they'll do another season of Space Brothers some day. It was such a pleasing show to watch.

Jarmel

Banned
My concern is about the scriptwriter, Shimada. I haven't seen enough of her other works to say if she's any good or not.

The overall visual quality looks worse though, partially due to the shift in character designer and art director.

Shergal

When they got extra time to work with from Kickstarter they seemed pretty lost. Hard to imagine the series really building to anything and nothing they've shown so far really seems new enough to justify the transition to an extended format.

I don't think simply having a longer runtime film is particularly similar to a change in format. Here's some translated bits from an interview with Yoshinari I found (how accurate is it btw?):

-They decided to start from Akko's arrival to the school to work on the world building and the mysteries of Luna Nova. He felt that the world in the movies felt a bit small and wants to expand it.
-One of the reasons he decided to do a TV series over more movies is that there are many things he wants to do. For example, in a movie the focus would always be around Akko but in a TV series he can even give focus to characters like Amanda or Constance.
-In terms of the story, he wants to balance surprising developments and delivering on the audience expectations. He mentions Gurren-Lagann as contrast, because Gurren-Lagann was a show that followed the usual pattern of super-robot anime.

My concern is about the scriptwriter, Shimada. I haven't seen enough of her other works to say if she's any good or not.

Aside from Little Witch Academia 2 and Little Busters, her resume consists mostly of innocuous kids' shows. She's probably not a factor to be concerned about either way.

dimb

I don't think simply having a longer runtime film is particularly similar to a change in format. Here's some translated bits from an interview with Yoshinari I found (how accurate is it btw?):
I'll just say right now that if there is an episode about Constance/Constanze there's a 90% chance that I just turn the show off. The character writing isn't strong enough to merit investigating the lives of these side characters. To me it just sounds like they have no idea what to do.

Jarmel

Banned
Aside from Little Witch Academia 2 and Little Busters, her resume consists mostly of innocuous kids' shows. She's probably not a factor to be concerned about either way.

Considering the script for LWA2 wasn't as refined as LWA1, I think it does matter.
I'll just say right now that if there is an episode about Constance/Constanze there's a 90% chance that I just turn the show off. The character writing isn't strong enough to merit investigating the lives of these side characters. To me it just sounds like they have no idea what to do.
Well I want an Amanda episode so it sucks to be you.

Cornbread78

Blue Exorcist ep.19-22
i9hpfe9.png

Still a really good watch, but whoever said the story atarts losing steam and going off the rails at the end was kind of right here. It almost feels forced at this point and they weren't sure if they wanted to go completely episodic, or push along a central narrative since a couple of the episodes felt really disjointed.

kewlmyc

Blue Exorcist ep.19-22
i9hpfe9.png

Still a really good watch, but whoever said the story atarts losing steam and going off the rails at the end was kind of right here. It almost feels forced at this point and they weren't sure if they wanted to go completely episodic, or push along a central narrative since a couple of the episodes felt really disjointed.

It's because you just hit the part of the original anime that stopped following the manga and when anime original.

There's a reason the new anime is going to ignore those anime original episodes entirely.

Heybot seems to exist just so that other people can watch it 2nd hand via Twitter posts

Yeah that's pretty apt description of my feelings of the show. I got mild amusement out of the first episode but that probably would have turned into strained annoyance if I kept up with that exact formula every week.

Clov

My fiance got me Gatchaman Crowds Insight on Blu-Ray for Christmas! I'm really happy with the gift, but I can't help but notice how cheap Sentai's cases have gotten recently. This is the first new release I've gotten from them in a few months, and the case is one of those cheap, flimsy ones that makes me think of early Discotek releases; the cases with that annoying latch you have to open on the side. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised considering the company.

Heybot still has one of the best op songs of the year.

Saiki Kusuo Episode 26 END

Perfect comedy and all the feelings from his friends. Kaidou is the best, so in love with Saiki, when will he realize it :(

Judgment Knights of Thundah!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom